Seti@home

  • Joe (Freeserve) McGonagle
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 2:35 AM
      from http://www.net.berkeley.edu/setiathome/ :

      Fiber cut silences SETI@Home

      At about 3:30 AM PST on 27 February an optical fiber cable connecting the
      U.C. Berkeley campus with the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory was cut,
      apparently by vandals trying to "salvage" copper from other nearby cables.

      The broken fiber carries data and voice connections for LBNL and also for
      the Space Sciences Lab. SSL is where the SETI@Home project is located, so
      the millions of participants helping to analyze data have been unable to
      contact the SETI@Home servers for more than a day.

      Contractors are pulling new cable now. It's expected that service to SSL
      will be restored by Friday, 2 March 2001. We'll update this page as we learn
      more about the progress of the repairs.

      Joe