Fwd = Nessie protection plan drawn up

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2001
      Forwarded by: fwestra@...
      Original Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 00:21:11 +0100 (CET)

      BBC UK

      Jackie O'Brien reports

      "This is not as far fetched as an American paper's report last week that
      Nessie had been caught"

      Thursday, 4 January, 2001, 19:42 GMT

      Nessie protection plan drawn up

      Scottish Natural Heritage will be prepared for Nessie A government agency
      has drawn up a contingency plan to cope with the possibility of the Loch
      Ness Monster being caught.

      The Scottish Natural Heritage instructions form part of a code of practice
      for research projects on the Highland loch aimed at protecting all
      existing wildlife and the local environment.

      However, one Nessie fan club has described the measures as bureaucracy
      gone mad.

      The code of practice was drawn up following a Swedish monster hunter's
      request to lay a net across Loch Ness in his attempt to capture the
      elusive Nessie.

      Concerned about the implications for other existing wildlife, SNH has
      introduced a number of safeguards to protect any creature which is caught.

      Under the code, hunters must release their catch, whatever the species,
      back into the loch after appropriate DNA samples are taken.

      SNH spokesman Johnathan Stacey said the organisation must keep an open
      mind.

      He said: "Should anything be captured in this net, in this trap, then we
      would want to see it examined but also released unharmed.

      "I think if they did capture something that was hitherto unknown to
      science then the whole world would be interested.

      'Loony fringe'

      "As far as SNH is concerned we would be regarding it as a very valuable
      and important part of Scotland's biodiversity and we would want to be
      treating it in its best interests.

      However, the Loch Ness Monster Fan Club said the plan was extreme and
      warned that it could threaten future research projects.
      Gary Campbell: plan is extreme

      Fan club member Gary Campbell said: "There's various statutes, for
      instance, the Wildlife and Countryside Act, the Animal Scientific
      Procedures Act, there's a Vets' Act from the 1960s and all those apply to
      Nessie.

      "So I think for a code of conduct to be put in by a quango, in many
      respects, will put people off coming to Loch Ness.

      "It might drive the 'loony fringe', for want of a better word,
      underground. They might not publicise their plans and do something that
      could be a danger to themselves, the environment and Nessie."

      However, Mr Stacey said the agency was only doing its job.

      He said: "I don't think that developing an informal forum, and informal
      policy with people who have an interest in Loch Ness to safeguard the
      existing features of interest is irresponsible in any way."

      http://www.lochness.co.uk/fan_club/
      Loch Ness Monster Fan Club

      http://www.snh.org.uk/
      Scottish Natural Heritage