Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Fwd = UFO ROUNDUP Volume 5 Number 49

Expand Messages
  • Frits Westra
    Forwarded by: fwestra@hetnet.nl Web result: http://ufoinfo.com/roundup/v05/rnd05_49.shtml Original Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 20:44:56 -0500 (EST)
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2000
    • 0 Attachment
      Forwarded by: fwestra@...
      Web result: http://ufoinfo.com/roundup/v05/rnd05_49.shtml
      Original Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 20:44:56 -0500 (EST)

      ========================== Forwarded message begins ======================

      Volume 5
      Number 49
      December 7, 2000

      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      Mailbox: Masinaigan@...


      "A very shiny object appeared over the city of Campinas," in Brazil's
      Sao Paulo state, "baffling the local population. The strange object
      looked like a flashing silver-white ball of light and was seen the
      night of Wednesday, November 29, 2000."

      Campinas is a large city located 160 kilometers (100 miles) north of
      Sao Paulo, which is the largest city in South America.

      "The popular rumors" in Campinas "talked of a flying saucer, an alien
      invasion, meteors, a weather balloon and a laser cannon."

      "The witnesses claimed that the light started to flash in the
      districts of Cambua and Taquaral around 9 p.m. and lasted for thirty
      minutes. All agreed that the object blinked little sparkles that could
      be seen with a very strong clarity."

      "Astronomer Julio Lobo of the Observatorio de Capricornia said that
      since last Friday," November 24, 2000, "he had received calls from
      people claiming to have seen possible UFOs."

      "On Thursday, November 30, 2000, ten people phoned him, wanting to
      learn the source of the strange light."

      "'The people get interested and want answers,' he said, 'Those who saw
      it said it 'was a thing from another world'.'"

      "Taxi driver Andre de Moura said that he was amazed with what he saw.
      'The light dropped and blinked a lot. Because it stayed in the same
      place, I concluded that it was a flying saucer.'"

      "When he arrived at a neighbor's house, the man was looking at it, as
      well, but then the object disappeared."

      "Another cabbie, Walmir Airton Possari, said he saw the light while
      driving to the market. According to him, all of the market's customers
      were amazed and went outside, looking at it to try to identify what
      kind of light it was."

      "'I'm sure that it was two lights emitting powerful flashes of light,'
      he said."

      "However, to his friend, Julio Nakanishi, the object was simply a
      balloon. He said that when he first saw the light, he thought it was
      an airplane or a helicopter."

      "A spokesman for Viracopos Airport" near Campinas " stated that they
      had received no reports of any weird sightings." (See the newspaper
      Diario Popular of Sao Paulo for December 1, 2000. Muito obrigado a
      Thiago Tischetti por eso articulo do diario.)


      On Saturday, November 25, 2000, at 9:15 p.m., Nevel Bell "had just
      been to the supermarket" in Edinburgh, Scotland's capital "and was
      walking home. It was a clear night, and when it's clear, I always look
      up at the stars. I saw what looked like a satellite moving through the
      sky. But then, to the left of the satellite object, there was

      "Perfectly normal, I thought. Then it all started to get weird."

      "The two moving objects started to move close to each other, visibly
      picking up speed. Then they started to cross each other's path, and
      they did this several times."

      "O.K. I thought to myself, There must be a logical explanation for

      "I thought they could have been (RAF) fighter jets at high altitude,
      but there was no sound."

      "The two star-like objects then arced across the sky at a tremendous
      speed, something I've never witnessed before. They then dipped down
      and disappeared into the horizon." (Many thanks to Gerry Lovell for
      forwarding this report.)

      On Sunday, November 26, 2000, at 5:20 p.m., Jackie L. was walking down
      Craigdale Road in Hornchurch, Essex, UK when she spotted something
      strange in the sky.

      "It was moving to the right very slowly," she reported, "It was around
      5:20 p.m. whilst I was walking down the road. I could see this
      flourescent pink thing in the sky and just could not believe it. It
      was very sparkly, extremely bright (and) flashing. It appeared to stay
      there for awhile, then quietly moved sideways, then disappeared behind
      the houses, leaving behind a very thin 'smoke-like' trail from the
      top. It was an oblong shape but because it was sparkly there was no
      definition." (Email Form Report)


      A major UFO flap broke out in Wisconsin during September, with three
      sightings at different locales around the state.

      On Thursday, November 2, 2000, at 5:30 a.m., a man spotted a UFO in
      Medford, Wis. (population 4,200), a small town located about 30 miles
      (48 kilometers) north of Wausau.

      The witness reported, "Just prior to going to work at the local
      factory, I saw what looked like blinking, although it was still dark.
      The object was really white, triangular and 40 degrees (above the
      horizon--J.T.) I watched the bright object to my south. It was not
      moving at this time. The object was brighter than any (other) object
      in the sky. The object then moved at a high rate of speed for about
      nine seconds until it was out of my sight."

      On Monday, November 20, 2000, a UFO incident took place in Oostburg,
      Wis. (population 2,000), a small port town on Lake Michigan
      approximately 10 miles (16 kilometers) south of Sheboygan.

      "It happened at 8:30 p.m.," the witness reported. "In the
      east/southeast sky, a bright object hovered for a long period of time.
      The night was very clear, and at first I thought it was a very bright
      star. But it appeared to be blinking red, green and blue lights."

      "Since it was blinking, I thought it may be some type of aircraft, but
      it was not moving at all. I got a pair of binoculars to get a better
      look, but it was so far out over Lake Michigan that it only made the
      lights more defined. I was just wondering if there were any more
      reports of it. Or an explanation." (Editor's Comment: Add this
      sighting to the casebook of the Lake Michigan Triangle.)

      The most recent UFO sighting took place in the southwestern part of
      the state. On Thursday, November 23, 2000, Timothy and Jonathan Dust
      drove to their parents' rural home in Fountain City, Wis. (population
      400) for the Thanksgiving holiday. Fountain City is just east of the
      Mississippi River and located about 30 miles (48 kilometers) south of
      Eau Claire.

      Timothy Dust reported, "My brother Jonathan and I were both at our
      parents' cabin just outside of Fountain City, celebrating the holiday.
      After dinner, around 6:25 p.m., my brother and I decided to go outside
      on our deck for a breath of fresh air since my father was burning wood
      to supplement the electric heaters in the house," adding that the
      outdoor temperature of about 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

      "The deck is just off the second floor," Tim added, "The floor of the
      deck is at treetop height. We had an awesome view of the night sky
      this evening."

      "Looking around at the stars, I suddenly noticed a large 'stationary'
      red and orange object hovering 100 feet (30 meters) above an adjacent
      ridge of bluffs called Canada Ridge. Canada Ridge is about a half-mile
      (800 meters) away from the cabin, and the object was within one mile
      (1,600 meters)) of us."

      "My brother went to get a pair of high-powered binoculars to view it
      more closely. I just watched it with my own eyes."

      off to the southwest about two miles away, hovering over the ridge
      treeline like it was hiding. Then, five minutes later, it looked like
      it landed. We watched the area but it did not reappear until at least
      a half-hour later."

      Tim added, "The (UFO's) color changed, as well, from rosy red to
      orange to white with a hint of green and then back to red."

      "At one point, it looked as if it was leaving the area and then it
      came back to the original spot just above the ridge. We both watched
      the orb for, say, 40 to 45 minutes. There was no sound." (Many thanks
      to Jim Aho of the W-Files and Peter B. Davenport of the National UFO
      Reporting Center for these reports.)


      On Thursday, November 30, 2000, at 9 p.m., Michael Smith and his
      family were driving north on Interstate Highway I-75 when he spotted
      an unusual object in the sky to the east of the highway.

      "My wife and I were heading home to Indiana from Florida, where we'd
      spent Thanksgiving weekend with some relations. We were just north of
      Knoxville, Tennessee. She was driving, and I was in the passenger
      seat, looking out the window at the stars."

      "I noticed a particularly bright star. At first I thought that it was
      a pale-blue colored object, but while I watched it from the mountain,
      it seemed to be stationary."

      "I know it wasn't a plane, and it appeared to hover over a small town
      down in a valley in the Appalachian Mountains near (east of) the
      interstate. I know it wasn't a star because I had to turn my head to
      keep it in view, and stars appear to move when you move because of the
      great distances."

      (Editor's Note: From Mike's description, it appears that the UFO was
      hovering over Halls Crossroads, Tennessee-- population 450, which is
      located about 10 miles north of Knoxville. Interestingly, there was a
      UFO flap in nearby Dandridge, Tenn. during 1999.)

      "The (UFO) was hovering. At one point, I had to turn all the way
      around in my seat to see it. And it was in the same spot! A plane or
      helicopter would have some movement. I probably watched it for around
      ten minutes. It was very bright, with an estimated altitude of 1,500
      feet (450 meters)." (Email Form Report)


      On Monday, November 27, 2000, at 5:15 p.m., Vicki Rholetter, her
      husband and her mother-in-law were on Highway 129, returning home from
      a holiday shopping trip to Greenville, South Carolina.

      The UFO "appeared to be hovering in the sky in a south or
      southeasterly direction," Vicki reported, "My husband, my
      mother-in-law and I were returning home from a shopping trip to
      Greenville, S.C. As we were driving down Highway 129, my husband, who
      was driving, brought my mother-in-law's and my attention to a large
      object in the sky on the driver's (left) side of the car. It didn't
      appear to be an airplane, and it looked a little too low off the
      ground for that, and there were none of the usual flashing
      (navigation) lights one would expect with an airplane. It didn't look
      like a helicopter, either. In fact, it didn't appear to be made of any
      metal, not that we could see."

      "As far as we could tell, it just looked like a big white glob of
      light in the sky. It appeared to be hovering. If it was moving at all,
      then it was only very, very slowly."

      "It also changed shape, too, before it disappeared. My husband said
      that it looked a little triangular to him. But to me it appeared more
      cylindrical at first. As we watched it, it started to 'pulse'."

      "First it got very bright, then dim, then very bright again and
      finally very dim, and then it just faded away. Just disappeared
      completely. I noticed that as it got dimmer, it took on a rounder

      "I'm really a little skeptical of UFO sightings, but I really don't
      know what else it might be. It's definitely one of the weirdest things
      I've ever seen."

      Vicki estimated that they were just outside of Easley, S.C.
      (population 14,000) when they spied the UFO. Easley is located 140
      miles (220 kilometers) northwest of Columbia, the state capital.
      (Email Form Report)


      On Thursday, November 30, 2000, shortly after 7 p.m., Bob and Dar
      Meyers were at their home in Rimrock, Arizona when something strange

      "At 7:18 p.m., I went to the window in my living room and saw a light
      in the yard," Bob reported, "'Dar,' I said, "Come here and look at

      "She said, 'That's a UFO.' She immediately ran outside and came (back)
      in again. 'Grab your camera.'"

      "So I grabbed my equipment and ran out to the trees And when I looked,
      there it was--a huge UFO 1,000 feet (300 meters) off the ground."

      "I started to video it, and that's when the ships appeared. Not one
      but two. Then it started to shine a beam of light down on the ground.
      Then it started to come towards us, then stopped, then, all of a
      sudden, the ship blinked out and disappeared."

      "I continued to observe the craft and still was staying where I saw
      it. I came in the house and called a friend and asked him to go
      outside to see if he could see it, and he said yes." (Many thanks to
      Steve Wilson for forwarding the Meyers' report.)


      Transient Lunar Phenomena (TLP for short) have been observed by
      Earth-based astronomers since Galileo invented the first telescope.
      For centuries, astronomers have dismissed TLPs as "optical illusions."
      But now a French scientist asserts that the TLPs are quite real.

      "For hundreds of years, claims of changes on the lunar surface have
      always been controversial. Many scientists have dismissed the
      occasional reported sightings of glows and mists hanging over certain
      lunar features."

      "Now a French astronomer has obtained some of the best evidence yet
      that occasionally something has disturbed the lunar surface."

      "It was seen in 1992 by veteran lunar observer Audoin Dollfuss of the
      Observatoire de Paris, using the one-meter (39-inch) Mendon reflecting
      telescope. He has only just finished analysing the results and has
      submitted them for publication" in the December 2000 issue of the
      astronomical journal Fading Light.

      "On 30 December (1992) he noticed a series of glows on the floor of
      the crater Langrenus. They were definitely not there the day before.
      Professor Dollfuss observed them for several days before they faded.
      Clouds of light were seen dancing inside the crater."

      "Each time he returned to the telescope, he noticed that the shape of
      the glow had changed. He believes that the glows were due to escaping
      gas that lifted dust above the lunar surface into sunlight."

      (Editor's Note: In geology, this activity is known as outgassing.)

      "Some lunar observers have expressed surprise that such an event
      should have taken place because Langrenus was not regarded as a prime
      candidate for lunar changes. Professor Dollfuss points out that
      Langrenus, when observed in detail, has an extensive series of
      fractures on its crater floor and that gas could be escaping from

      (Editor's Comment: That's a possibility. The crater Langrenus is 136
      kilometers (84 miles) in diameter and resembles a shield volcano here
      on Earth. There may be significant geothermal activity just below the
      crater floor.)

      In 1994," the lunar orbiter Clementine "observed the crater
      Aristarchus, before and after a TLP was seen from Earth," the
      spacecraft's spectrometer data "suggested that parts of the crater had
      changed color slightly." (See BBC Online for December 2, 2000. Many
      thanks to "the Space Cadets" for forwarding this article.)


      "The space shuttle Endeavour lifted off Thursday night," November 30,
      2000, "on a mission to deliver giant solar panels to the International
      Space Station," also known as Station Alpha.

      "The weather was perfect for the launch at 10:06 p.m. local (Florida,
      USA) time."

      Endeavour's crew consisted of shuttle commander Brent Jett Jr., pilot
      Michael Bloomfield, Carlos Noriega, Joseph Tanner and Marc Carneau.

      "The most powerful set of spacecraft solar wings are packed aboard

      "Endeavour pulled up to the International Space Station on Saturday"
      December 2, 2000, "and docked, setting the stage for the
      attachment--and dramatic spreading--of the world's largest solar

      "Endeavour hooked up with Alpha as the spacecraft zoomed more than 280
      miles (448 kilometers) above central Asia, ending a two-day chase.
      Shuttle commander Brent Jett Jr. steered his ship in from below, with
      practiced precision."

      "Endeavour pulled into a docking port that was added by the last
      shuttle crew in October." Station Alpha "will be considerably wider
      once the new electricity-producing solar wings are installed."

      "The $600 million wings were folded like an accordion for launch. Once
      opened, the wings will span 240 feet, longer than the wingspan of a
      Boeing 777 jetliner. And they will be 38 feet across."

      On Sunday, December 3, 2000, astronauts Carlos Noriega and Joe Tanner
      donned spacesuits and performed the first spacewalk of the mission.
      The two astronauts attached the solar wings to Station Alpha. Now that
      the solar wings are attached, Alpha has become "the third brightest
      object in the night sky, after the moon and the star Sirius."

      "The 35,000-lbs. of solar wings, batteries, radiators and extension
      beams will power the station. NASA expects the solar panels to
      generate four times the electricity produced by the Russian-built
      solar wings already on the space station."

      The first glitch in the mission occurred on Monday, December 4, 2000.
      "NASA delayed unfurling the second of the set of solar wings after the
      first one appeared too slack."

      "On Sunday night," December 3, 2000, "the right (solar) wing was
      extended via computer command to its entire length of 115 feet in just
      13 minutes. But some slack tension cables left the blanket of solar
      cells less taut than desired."

      "After hours of consultation, NASA flight controllers came up with a
      possible solution, instructing Endeavour's astronauts to open the
      folded left wing a little bit at a time Monday evening in a
      start-and-stop procedure."

      "Alpha commander Bill Shepherd and his Russian crew need more power in
      order to spread out in the complex where they have been living for the
      past month."

      "One of the space station's three rooms has been unheated and sealed
      to conserve power. A fourth room due to soar in January 2001, the
      American-made Destiny lab module, requires considerable electricity
      for experiments." (See USA Today for December 4, 2000, "Spacewalking
      astronauts attach solar wings to station," page 12A, and December 5,
      2000, "Second space station wing to be spread little by little," page
      10A; the Chicago Tribune for December 1, 2000, "Shuttle ferrying solar
      wings to station," page 5; and the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for
      December 3, 2000, "Endeavour docks with space station," page 13A.)

      from the UFO Files...

      2580 B.C.: TIME TRAVELERS?

      Three women and their male companion visit a friend's home to see her
      new children. As they're leaving, one of the visitors asks a servant
      if it's okay if she leaves a package behind. The servant says yes.

      Weeks later, the servant remembers the package and goes to fetch it.
      As she picks it up, she hears the sound of music coming from within.
      Obviously, she has accidentally switched on a Sony Walkman or a CD

      The sort of mishap that occurs every day, right?

      But what if I told you that this happened in Egypt way back in 1580

      Among the papyrus texts unearthed by archaeologists in the Nineteenth
      Century was the strange story of Rud-didet, the wife of high priest

      Rud-didet and her husband lived during the reign of Pharaoh Kufu
      (Greek name Cheops), who is reputed to be the builder of the Great

      According to the text, shortly after the couple's three children were
      born, the house of Ra-user was visited by three goddesses--Isis,
      Nebhat and Meskhent-- in the guise of dancing girls, and the god
      Khnumu, who was disguised as a porter. The divine visitors left a
      number of gifts for the newborns, including a model of the red-and-
      white double crown of Egypt and a bushel of barley.

      "They then returned to he house of Ra-user and requested permission to
      leave the barley in a closed chamber, which they sealed up, and then
      took their leave."

      "A few weeks afterward, Rud-didet asked her handmaid if the house and
      all that was in it were in good condition, and the handmaid replied
      that all was satisfactory except that the barley was not yet brought
      (to the kitchen). Her mistress inquired why that had not been done,
      and the servant answered that their store (room) had been given to the
      dancing girls who had arrived on the day of the children's birth, and
      that it now lay in a closed chamber under their seal."

      "Rud-didet then ordered the servant to use it for the present, saying
      that Ra-user could replace it before their return. The girl opened the
      chamber, and entering, was surprised to hear people talking and
      singing, music and the sound of dancing, and such sounds as one hears
      in the court" of a pharaoh.

      "She quickly returned and acquainted her mistress with what she had
      heard. Rud-didet entered the room herself and also heard the sounds
      but could not locate them. At last she laid her hand on the sack that
      held the barley, and found that the sounds proceeded from it."

      "She at once placed it in a chest, which she put for security in a
      greater (larger) chest, and this she bound round with leather and laid
      in the store-room, taking the precaution to seal it, and when Ra-user
      returned she told him what had occurred."

      "Some days after, Rud-didet had occasion to punish her servant and
      beat her with stripes (gave her a whipping--J.T.), and the servant
      grumbled and said to her companions, 'Why has this been done to me? I
      will go to Pharaoh Khufu and tell him that her three sons are destined
      to become rulers.'"

      "She then betook herself to her uncle; but he would not hearken to her
      treachery and struck her a violent blow with a bunch of flax which he
      held. Feeling faint, she went down to the riverside (Nile) for a
      draught (drink) of water, and was seized upon by a crocodile, which
      carried her away."

      "Her uncle then presented himself to Rud-didet whom he found in a most
      dejected condition. He asked her what made her downcast, and she
      replied that she feared treachery from the handmaiden."

      "'You need not fear for her,' replied the man, 'because she has been
      seized upon by a crocodile.'"

      As author Lewis Spence points out, "At this point the manuscript fails

      We learn no more about Rud-didet and her mysterious visitors and just
      what was in that sack of barley.

      What is most intriguing about the tale of Rud-didet are the "real
      life" details of ancient Egyptian life in the text-- the household
      protocols, the resentful servant, the crocodile attack on the banks of
      the Nile. The only paranormal note in this text consists of the
      handmaiden and Rud-didet hearing music emanating from the sack.

      Did the visitors identify themselves as Isis, Nebhat, Meskhent and
      Khnumu? Or did Rud-didet and her husband decide that after this
      strange incident.

      A music-producing electronic device small enough to be concealed in a
      sack of barley was unknown even in Spence's time (He died in
      1942--J.T.) But if it had been in the sack, and the handmaiden had
      accidentally turned it on while she was poking about the store-room,
      that might explain the strange music the women heard.

      Pharaoh Kufu reigned from 2590 B.C. to 2568 B.C., in the Fourth
      Dynasty. If the four visitors were really time travelers from the
      future, it's perfectly obvious why they went there.

      They wanted to see if Kufu was building the Great Pyramid...or if it
      was already standing in Giza. (See the book Myths and Legends of
      Ancient Egypt by Lewis Spence, Frederick A. Stokes Co., New York,
      N.Y., pages 203 to 205.)

      That's it for this week. Join us in seven days for more UFO and
      paranormal news from around the planet Earth, brought to you by "the
      paper that goes home-UFO Roundup." See you then.

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2000 by Masinaigan Productions, all rights
      reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO Roundup on their
      websites or in newsgroups provided that they credit the newsletter and
      its editor by name and list the date of issue in which the item first

      An Appeal To Readers
      Help Keep UFO Roundup Operating

      It currently costs Joseph Trainor around $100 per month to produce UFO
      Roundup. If you would like to help him keep the bulletin operating
      please consider making a donation.



      ========================== Forwarded message ends ========================
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.