Two Dramatic Mid-Air UFO Near

  • Jeroen Kumeling
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2000
      Two Dramatic Mid-Air UFO Near
      Misses In 1967
      From FAltomon@...
      11-30-00

      The following two encounters were excerpted from:

      Aviation Safety in America - A Previously Neglected Factor
      by Richard F. Haines, Chief Scientist

      National Aviation Reporting Center on Anomalous Phenomena
      - NARCAP -
      October 15, 2000
      http://www.nidsci.org/articles/pdf/narcap.pdf

      January, 1967
      Night UP SW New Mexico

      Jimmie Moran, a passenger on a Lear Jet 23 en route to Las Vegas, NV from
      Houston, Hobby Airport, Texas was the first to sight the bright red light
      associated with a sharply defined object ahead of them at their 10 o'clock
      position in the dark sky. He was seated on the left-hand side of the
      passenger cabin. Flying at FL410 to the NW just beyond jetway J-86 which
      ended at El Paso, the pilot, Carl M., filed for a direct flight to Winslow
      (AZ) on a heading of 300 degrees. He was delivering the new aircraft to its
      owner. An unnamed FO was also on board and saw the UAP which kept pace with
      the jet off its left-hand side for 29 minutes. Their airspeed was 300 kts.
      (Mach 0.82).

      In the pilot's own words, I told Jimmie and the other passengers in the
      back, that maybe it was a light on a weather balloon. A few minutes later my
      passengers called me again, saying the bright red light was moving, so I
      told them that the light was in a military flight training block, so it
      might be a military plane.The light had a red ray below the light towards
      the ground and about 2000 ft. below the first light, a second oval light
      appeared, then a third light, and then a fourth, said Capt. M. Each had a
      red ray of about 2000 ft. from one to the other. Then the lights retracted
      one at a time until there was one light shining bright red. Then it ran the
      lights down again, but at a 40 degree angle. And then retracted the lights
      the same way. Capt. M. then radioed Albuquerque Center to inquire if they
      showed any aircraft at their 9 to 10 o'clock position. They replied they did
      not have any transponder signal there.

      At this moment the UAP's light extinguished for 30 seconds and came back on
      again. Then Albuquerque Radar (AR) called me and said they had the object on
      their radar... 39 miles west of our aircraft and moving at the same heading.
      Next Albuquerque Radar contacted a National Airlines DC-8 then over Casa
      Grande, AZ heading for Houston and learned from its captain that . ..he had
      been watching the light and said it did everything the Captain on the Lear
      Jet said it was doing. AR asked the DC-8 captain if he would like to make a
      UFO report, and the captain said no. AR asked the captain for his name, and
      he told them it was none of their damn business. It was at this point that
      the frightfully close near miss occured.

      In the pilot's own words, AR called me to tell me the object was closing in
      on me, and before they finished telling me, the vehicle was so close that
      the blips on the radar screen became one. [The captain's sketch of his
      cockpit window outline shows the UAP filling at least 75 percent of the
      window's forward area!] The red light was so bright that when I looked up
      from the instrument Panel and would look back at the panel my eyes were
      having trouble ajusting (sic) each time to the panel white lights. At this
      close formation the encounter lasted 29 minutes.. .. My passengers in the
      back were hollering at me to get them away from the object... After a few
      minutes the bright red light of the vehicle went out, but I could not get a
      good look at the vehicle, because my eyes couldn't adjust to the darkness
      before the vehicle turned the bright light back on. Then the vehicle slowed
      down [meaning unclear] to the point that I pulled away from him.

      The passengers were overjoyed when the light went behind the left engine...
      But that was short lived. The vehicle passed us up at a speed so that the
      red light was trailing the object like a comet for as much as 150 yards. It
      slowed down again, which allowed me to overtake the vehicle at Winslow. We
      both made a left turn over Winslow at 41,000 feet. The UAP remained with the
      jet to beyond Flagstaff (where the aircraft was now under Los Angeles Center
      control which, the captain learned, also had the UAP on their radar). The
      captain said, My passengers were still hollering and in a panic for me to
      get them away from the vehicle. The UAP finally accelerated to the west at a
      30 degree climb angle when we were only fifteen minutes from landing at Las
      Vegas. No official inquiry was made of this high altitude encounter. (Pilot
      report form)
      _____

      October 27, 1967
      0300L UP NE Jacksonville
      (Atlantic Ocean)

      This fascinating aerial encounter involved Charlie Little, pilot of a
      Piper-Twin Commanche PA-30 (N7942Y). He was multi-engine rated and a flight
      instructor. Two other commercially rated pilots, and a passenger were also
      on board. Having taken off from Opa-Locka, FL to Morristown, NJ, they were
      headed ENE at 8,000 feet altitude in uncontrolled airspace under an IFR
      flight plan but were in radio contact with Jacksonville ARTCC for safety
      reasons. Stars were visible in the dark sky.

      Ground control helped them maintain a correct heading when their two VORs
      apparently displayed significantly large angular deviations toward the east.
      About half-way between Jacksonville and Charleston, SC over the ocean at
      least three of the occupants saw a light moving across the sky and
      interpreted it to be a commercial flight at high altitude bound for Miami.
      But the light began to descend and approach their airplane. The pilot
      radioed radar control to inquire if any other traffic was seen in their
      vicinity (now at their one o'clock position high and seemingly southbound).
      The answer was negative.

      Little turned his landing and taxi lights on. He said (later), As the light
      came closer and closer, it was very apparent that we were going to pass very
      close and that the aircraft was not making any move to avoid us. He then
      asked for permission to descend immediately... We may need all the way to
      the deck immediately. He received permission to do so even though permission
      was not legally required. Under the circumstances, he was probably trying to
      set an example of extra-safe procedures for the benefit of the other two
      pilots on board. Little then disengaged the autopilot, pulled the throttle
      back and pushed the wheel forward ...trying to avoid a head-on collision. We
      descended to 6,500 feet but the lights came closer and closer. Then they saw
      not one but six, huge, round, bright, white lights in a (horizontal) row. A
      collision seemed imminent. Panicking, I yelled, 'We can't get away from
      him!' The situation seemed hopeless; there was no way to avoid him. We were
      all going to die because the pilot in the other craft wasn't paying
      attention. Little had to shield his eyes with his hands the lights were so
      intense. Suddenly, a soft green light was all over our cockpit.

      At the very instant of collision, ...the craft made an unbanked 180 degree
      turn, remained ahead for a few seconds and then took off and disappeared
      like a flash bulb. At least two of the witnesses agreed that the huge object
      was a gray equilateral triangle, each side at least 200 feet long and twenty
      feet thick. Its outer edges were very smooth and sharply defined (with no
      rivets, doors, antennae, windows, etc.) while at its center there was a
      triangular-shaped opening or hole large enough to fly through. It flew with
      one side directly forward.

      As a pilot, I did not believe in UFOs but we had just had a near mid-air
      collision with one! When Little told radar control what had just happened he
      was met with ridicule. Later he recalled, I became very angry and threw the
      microphone on the floor instead of hanging it on the clip... We all knew we
      had just seen a UFO but we didn't know what to say. We were afraid that if
      we told anybody we would lose our pilot's licenses. This was very important
      to us because we were all hoping to become commercial airline pilots. It
      could be the end of our careers. Investigator Smith also discovered that
      Little was told by radar control that a United B727 captain allegedly had
      just reported the same shaped object over Washington (about 535 miles away)!
      I could not locate any record of this other claimed sighting which isn't
      surprising given the continuing attitude of derision shown toward air crew
      by authorities on the ground and the understandable reticence to report
      bizarre aerial sightings. `

      One final word is appropriate. Is it possible that Jacksonville radar was
      actually tracking the UAP and not the aircraft when the several clock-wise
      deviating VOR events were taking place? It isn't clear whether the aircraft
      had a transponder (they were relatively expensive at the time) so that
      ground radar might have had only a weak return from the aircraft's skin
      paint. Indeed, broadband radar in the 1960s wasn't particularly effective
      when it comes to a non-transponder equipped aircraft. The far larger radar
      skin paint return from the triangular object might have been significantly
      larger than that of the aircraft. If true, this would explain the
      progressive clockwise deviation of the ground radar's track that also
      corresponded with the south-bound movement of the UAP before it apparently
      changed its heading to approach the aircraft. (Smith, W., A huge open
      triangular UFO, International UFO Reporter, Pp. 4-6, Sept./October 1984,
      Center for UFO Studies, Chicago, Illinois).