Fwd = UFO ROUNDUP Volume 5 Number 44

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2000
      Forwarded by: fwestra@...
      Original Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 10:25:04 +0100 (CET)

      UFO ROUNDUP
      Volume 5
      Number 44
      November 2, 2000

      Editor: Joseph Trainor
      Mailbox: Masinaigan@...

      GIANT UFO ABDUCTS TWO PEOPLE IN NORTHERN CHILE

      On Thursday, October 19, 2000, at 7 p.m., teacher Joan Rojas Moffett
      was chatting with some colleagues in a second-floor classroom at the
      Escola San Francisco (school) in Chiu-Chiu, village in northern Chile
      about 40 kilometers (25 miles) from Calama, when he saw a bright light
      in the dark sky.

      "It appeared in the northeast, split in two and then lost itself in
      the south," Rojas said, "I thought, What the hell!? but didn't comment
      on it to anyone until later in the evening when everyone saw the
      object and heard the noise."

      That was the beginning.

      Three hours later, at 10 p.m., 35 adults, members of the local branch
      of the General Center of Parents and Attorneys (a kind of Chilean
      PTA--J.T.), were holding a meeting at the school. Twenty children were
      playing in the schoolyard, waiting for the meeting to end. They heard
      a weird sound, and then the UFO appeared.

      "Students Rene Calpa Carranza and Walter Anza Vilca stated that the
      object, which was predominantly white in color with blue, red and
      yellow flashing lights" hovered above the schoolyard. "A number of the
      children also recalled 'a burning odor.'"

      As the UFO hovered overhead, a panel slid open on the underside of the
      craft, and a dazzling light beam stabbed downward, bathing two people
      in its unearthly glow-.

      Struck by the beam were Sra. Fresia Vega, the school custodian, and
      student Valentina Rojas Espinoza, age 8. The pair instantly vanished.

      "According to Monica Espinoza Fernandez (the girl's mother--J.T.),
      'the children were outdoors and were the witnesses, although not in
      the same way as Fresia and Valentina, and they (the other children)
      called for the meeting to end and the parents to come outside and see
      for themselves what was taking place. However, at this precise moment,
      we heard an enormous blast, much louder than the shattering of glass.
      It was not an earthquake or explosives or anything like that. The
      meeting went was ended, and everyone went outside for a look.'"

      The stunned adults saw "a spaceship that was hovering no higher than
      'a four-story building' (40 feet or 6 meters above the
      schoolyard--J.T.)" The eye-dazzling beam then switched off, and the
      UFO zoomed away "to the south and disappeared as it reached the
      Chiu-Chiu cemetery."

      Fresia Vega and Valentina Espinoza were found, dazed and shivering, a
      short distance away.

      In an interview with the newspaper El Mercurio de Calama, Fresia Vega
      said, "It was a very large ship, about the size of a soccer field,
      surrounded by lights of every imaginable color. In the middle of it
      there was a door from which there came a light that blinded me and
      left me paralyzed. I felt myself being sucked in through the door, and
      I felt a tingling sensation all over my body. Voices became far, far
      away, and I froze. That's when I realized I must have passed out
      because I remember nothing at all. I then felt the door was being shut
      with a sound like that or iron, and the shop looked like it was
      surrounded by light. Twenty-four hours have gone by, and I still
      haven't recovered from it."

      "Much like the custodian," Valentina Rojas Expinoza said, "I felt
      cold, and my blood froze. I was very scared, and I hid behind Fresia,
      but then I looked up and everything was clear, as when day breaks. I
      would speak to Sra. Fresia but she didn't answer me. She couldn't
      speak, and it was as if she had gone away. I was very scared."

      There is an intriguing time discrepancy in the accounts of the
      eyewitnesses. Both Fresia and Valentina reported being "in the light
      for two or three minutes." But the children in the schoolyard said
      they were "gone for two or three seconds."

      Monica Espinoza Fernandez, who was still inside the school, reported,
      "I felt nothing, but my daughter (Valentina) who was with the children
      and suddenly came in to tell me. I paid her no mind until I saw that
      Fresia was frightened."

      UFO reports poured into the regional office of the Carabineros
      (Chile's national police--J.T.) from all over El Loa province, also
      known as the Second Region.

      "Parmedic Enrique Alvarez said, 'My colleagues in Ayquina and Caspana
      also saw the object.'"

      Earlier, at 7 p.m., "a veritable flood of sightings took place in the
      towns of El Loa province, particularly in Calama, Chuquicamata and the
      towns bordering Argentina," such as San Pablo de Atacama.

      "In Calama and Chuquicamata, there was a single sighting at 10 p.m. of
      a spacecraft the size of a soccer field that filled the area with
      light and turned night into day."

      "In Caspana, in the foothills of the Cordillera, a witness suffered a
      nervous breakdown after seeing the craft."

      ""Eyewitness accounts forced the Carabineros to open an investigation
      which is being conducted with great secrecy. But there are police
      officers who were in the middle of their rounds who had seen the
      lights." (See the Chilean newspapers El Mercurio of Valparaiso for
      October 22, 2000, "UFO causes commotion in the northern region;" El
      Mercurio de Calama for October 21, 2000, "School custodian beamed up
      by a huge spaceship;" and La Estrella del Loa for October 21, 2000,
      "Massive UFO sightings on the Loa River." Muchas gracias a Scott
      Corrales, autor de los libros Chupacabras and Other Mysteries y
      Forbidden Mexico, a y tambien a Dr. Virgilio Sanchez Ojedo y Lilliana
      Torres para esos articulos de diario.)

      (Editor's Note: Calama is where three Chupacabras were reportedly
      captured by the Chilean army earlier this year. See UFO Roundup,
      volume 5, number 23, "Chileans say NASA took custody of captured
      Chupacabras," page 1.)

      UK TEACHER TRAINEE SPOTS TEARDROP-SHAPED UFO

      On Tuesday, October 24, 2000, teacher trainee Jenny Cook, 18, of
      Osbourne Road, Hartlepool, UK "looked out her car window and watched
      as an object made of metal fell from the sky."

      "The Hartlepool teenager was an eyewitness to a drama yesterday
      (October 24) when a five-foot (1.6 meter) piece of silver metal was
      spotted plunging to earth."

      "Jenny was waiting in her car for a friend yesterday morning when the
      mystery object fell to ground near houses in Sunderland."

      "Sunderland University student Jenny said, 'I was just looking out my
      car window, not staring into space, and I saw what looked like a
      teardrop-shaped piece of silver metal falling from the sky.'"

      "The 18-year-old teacher trainee added, 'It almost looked like a piece
      of blown glass, but it was about the size of a small car. I thought it
      might have been a small model plane, but it was larger than that.'"

      "'It was coming down from the sky to the left of me really, really
      fast and was burning white-hot at the tip. I seemed to be watching it
      for four or five seconds before it disappeared behind the building.
      This was not an aeroplane or anything like that.'"

      "Jenny added, "I think it might have been something that had fallen
      from an aeroplane or something like that, but I really don't know what
      it was.'"

      "Inspector Pat MacDonald of the Hartlepool Police said they were
      investigating the report of an object falling from the sky in the
      Hendon area."

      Inspector MacDonald said, "Officers were sent out to make enquiries
      and to make a search of the area, but nothing was found. The
      investigation is continuing." (See the Hartlepool Mail for October 25,
      2000, "Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's a UFO!" Many thanks to
      Gerry Lovell for this newspaper article.)

      KANSAS FARMER FINDS ROCKET DEBRIS IN FIELD

      "Locals report mysterious sightings, streaks of bright lights and
      plumes of smoke zooming through the sky."

      "A central Kansas farmer finds flattened and charred chunks of
      debris."

      "This isn't science fiction."

      "Paul Wereb, an adjunct faculty member at Butler and Cowley Community
      College says Rush County farmer Craig Nixon found fragments of a
      Russian rocket."

      On Friday, October 13, 2000, a spectacular fireball was seen by
      thousands of people in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska. There
      were initially reports of "a UFO crash" in Hammond, Oklahoma. But last
      week NASA said the fireball was caused by a Russian Proton rocket
      burning up on re-entry.

      "Wereb, who is also a space science educator, at the Kansas
      Cosmosphere and Space Center in Hutchinson," a city on Highway 50
      about 60 miles (100 kilometers) northwest of Wichita, "was called on
      to identify the space junk."

      "Nixon said he saw the pieces in the sky but didn't have any idea
      where they fell until days later."

      "'I was out fixing fence and stumbled across it,' he said, 'It was in
      a place you couldn't drive with the pickup.'"

      "Nixon said the charred fragments caught his attention because they
      looked so unusual."

      "'It didn't look like it should be there,' he said, 'I thought it
      might have been part of what flew over. That was the first thing that
      crossed my mind.'"

      "Nixon called Rush County Sheriff Jack Mendenhall, who had seen the
      sky light up (October 13) while at a high school football game in
      LaCrosse (population 1,450)."

      "'Everybody in the stadium saw it,' Mendenhall said of the phenomenon
      that lit up the sky. 'Pieces of it flared off the sides like a Roman
      candle.'"

      "Mendenhall thought it was an aircraft dropping flares, but as it
      passed overhead, he saw a big smoke trail."

      "After Mendenhall got Nixon's call, he shipped the sample to Wereb,
      who had identified many meteorites, and to astronomy teacher Rob Kuhn,
      director of the McConnell Air Force Base branch of Butler and Cowley
      County Community College."

      "Wereb said the largest piece measured a foot and a half(18 inches or
      45 centimeters--J.T.) and eight inches (20 centimeters) wide. A second
      piece was 10 inches (25 centimeters) long and six inches (15
      centimeters) wide. Numerous small fragments were scattered on the
      ground." (See the New York Daily News for October 25, 2000, "Farmer
      finds space junk." Many thanks to Steve Wilson Sr. and George A.
      Filer for this newspaper article.)

      CHENEY MAKES SURPRISE RETURN TO ROSWELL

      ""It was probably inevitable that Republican vice presidential
      candidate Dick Cheney would have a close encounter of the strange kind
      during a campaign stop in Roswell," New Mexico.

      The city of Roswell is "the legendary site where some say a spaceship
      crashed in (July) 1947. So when he arrived at the Chaves County
      courthouse for a rally Wednesday," October 25, 2000, "he was greeted
      by a sign that depicted a little green man with a heart and the name
      'Cheney'--as in 'Space Aliens Love Cheney.'"

      "UFO cultists revere Roswell as the place where they say a spaceship
      with a crew of five aliens crashed, killing all the extraterrestrials.
      The Army is said to have covered up the event for all these years. The
      TV series The X-Files often has dealt with 'the Roswell incident.'"

      "(USA) Defense Department Area 51, a secret base, is near Roswell.
      Conspiracy theorists have long said that the military has projects
      there relating to human-alien relations."

      "Cheney, as Defense Secretary from 1989 to 1993, was privy to Area
      51's secrets, but he didn't reveal them to the (Republican) partisan
      crowd of 2,500." (See USA Today for October 26, 2000, "Cheney woods
      'alienated' voters in Roswell," page 4A.)

      (Editor's Comment: I find it very interesting that Cheney flew into
      Roswell just a day after the mysterious mass death of 24 cattle in
      that community. Was he on some kind of clandestine mission for the
      Pentagon? Fore more on the mysterious cattle deaths, see UFO
      Roundup, volume 5, number 43 for October 26, 2000, Mysterious mass
      death of cattle in New Mexico," page 3.),

      HOVERING UFO SEEN BY FIVE NEAR SEDONA, ARIZONA

      On Friday, October 6, 2000, the male witness and his family arrived at
      a cabin near Sedona, Arizona for a week's vacation. He reported, "As
      soon as I arrived, at about 7:15 p.m., I was at my (car) trunk,
      removing luggage, and looked to my right (west) and saw something very
      bright in the sky, which got real large and small again and repeated."

      "My brother, Mom, and her two friends also saw this. It looked like it
      could be a plane but was two or three times brighter and was low on
      the horizon."

      Until the family left on Friday, October 13, 2000, "each night we
      looked for it, and while we were looking at it, it was as if someone
      had flipped the switch to off, but it would reappear in another
      location."

      "Through binoculars it appeared to be red on the underside but didn't
      look like a craft."

      "When I got back, I was listening to the Whitley Streiber show and
      some guy called and described the same incident in Phoenix. He said
      the same thing--that he couldn't tell if it was a craft. Did you hear
      anything about this?" (Many thanks to George A. Filer of MUFON for
      this report.)

      UFO PACES COUPLE'S CAR ACROSS EASTERN TEXAS

      On Friday night, October 27, 2000, Awais M. reports, "My girlfriend
      was driving to San Antonio to pick me up when this unidentified object
      flew towards her car. At first the thing might have looked like a
      plane, but after closer inspection, it seemed otherwise, and she could
      not decipher (identify--J.T.) the object."

      "The unidentified object hovered and it came very near her car. It
      seemed like it was targeting her for several seconds. She wanted a
      closer look at it, but driving made things difficult. She also saw a
      white light and red flashes along the side."

      "While we were coming back to Corpus Christi, she saw it again and
      pointed the object out to me."

      He described the UFO as "stagnant (stationary--J.T.) and hovering
      perfectly. The object seemed to follow us back to Corpus, and before
      heading to my house I saw it up high."

      "The next day (October 28, 2000), I saw it again and wondered what the
      origin was. So I called the naval station (U.S. Navy base in Corpus
      Christi--J.T.) and not surprisingly, they had no idea what it was."
      (Email Form Report)

      MICHIGAN BOWHUNTER SEES A FAST-MOVING UFO

      On Saturday, October 7, 2000, during the early morning hours, the
      witness, a 16-year-old male student at Howell High School, climbed
      into his hunting blind in the woods off Layton Road between Howell and
      Fowlersville, Michigan. He had his bowhunting permit, his compound bow
      and waited for the first whitetail deer of the season to come into
      range.

      But while sitting quietly in the blind, located on a platform about
      "15 to 20 feet above ground," the young man "fell asleep in his blind.
      Then something occurred just after 4 a.m. When he awoke, it was still
      dark. The weather was cold and overcast."

      "Suddenly, he became aware that a bright red light of some size
      approached his position from the northwest, heading in a southeasterly
      direction at a very high speed. He estimated that the object was 75
      yards (225 feet or 70 meters--J.T.) away from his location and was
      moving just above treetop level (60 feet or 18 meters) and traveling
      at incredible speed. He said the object covered his entire field of
      view in less than one second."

      "In estimating the size, he said the object appeared to be the size of
      a half-dollar (USA 50-cent coin--J.T.) at arm's length. The object
      itself had a bright red light in the center, and the light seemed to
      diffuse to the edges of the object, as though it was a translucent
      sphere of some kind." (Many thanks to Doug Parrish for this report.)

      SCIENTISTS FIND FOUR NEW MOONS ORBITING SATURN

      "Four new moons have been discovered in orbit around Saturn, giving
      the giant planet a total of 22 moons, a group of astronomers announced
      Thursday," October 26, 2000.

      "A telescope device which amplifies light helped the astronomers spot
      faint pinpoints of light in orbit off Saturn," a gas giant with bright
      orbiting rings located two billion miles (3.2 billion kilometers) from
      Earth, "that is the second largest planet in our solar system."

      "If the discovery is confirmed by others, it will mean that Saturn has
      one more moon than the 21 known to orbit Uranus, the third largest
      planet in the solar system."

      (Editor's Note: Sunlight reaching Uranus is so dim that standing on
      the planet's equator at high noon on Midsummer Day, you would get as
      much light as standing in a pitch-dark room with only a lit match for
      illumination.)

      "The astronomers estimate that the new moons, based on the amount of
      light they reflect (also known as albedo--J.T.), are six to 30 miles
      (9 to 48 kilometers) in diameter. They are seen only as faint dots of
      light moving around the planet."

      "The discovery team included Joseph Burns and Philip Nicoison of
      Cornell University; Brett Gladman of the Centre National de la
      Recherche Scientifique in France; Jean- Marie Petit and Hans Scholl of
      the Observatoire de la Cote d'Azur in France; J.J. Kavelaars of
      McMaster University in Canada and Brian Marsden of the Harvard-
      Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA."
      (Many thanks to Steve Wilson Sr. for this news release.)

      IBIBATE: A MYSTERIOUS PYRAMID IN BOLIVIA

      In the southeastern corner of Bolivia, a land- locked nation in the
      middle of South America, lie vast tracts of jungle called La Selva.
      For years, archaeologists have ignored the region, preferring to
      concentrate their efforts in the Andes. However, recent developments
      have persuaded them to take a second look, particularly at the region
      known as the llanos de Mojo (Plains of Mojo).

      Instead of "just oppressive jungle, biting bugs and primitive tribes,"
      scientists now believe that "much of scientific significance" lies
      "hidden under the lush greenery."

      "We are now learning that some of these Amazon (Basin) peoples were
      extraordinary earthmovers. Having little stone to work with, they
      matched the achievements of the Incas in the (Andes) mountains just to
      the west with many miles of earthen causeways. Canals just as long
      were dedicated to fish-farming. Huge mounds rising above the
      floodplains supported villages."

      "Even the mounds hold mysteries. One of them, named Ibibate, has been
      described by anthropologist W. Baiee as being, 'as close to a Mayan
      pyramid as you'll see in South America...Beneath the forest cover is a
      60-foot (18-meter) human-made artefact.'"

      "Ibibate is only one of many such mounds in the Bolivian Amazon.
      Called 'lomas,' they are obviously quite distinct from any Mayan
      pyramid we know of. Rather, the lomas are enormous islands of pottery
      shards mixed with black soil. Hundreds of these mounds prove that a
      large population once occupied this region of Bolivia called the
      Llanos de Mojos."

      "Anthropologist C.L. Erickspon and a team from the University of
      Pennsylvania have discovered that the Llanos de Mojos once supported a
      Precolumbian complex of societies linked together by networks of
      communication, trade and alliances."

      "Erickson asserts that these cultures erected 'thousands of linear
      kilometers of artificial earthen causeways and canals...large urban
      settlements and intensive farming systems.'"

      "Indeed, aerial photographs of this immense region show patterns of
      canals and causeways that stretch from horizon to horizon. This is
      truly a remarkable, if virtually unexplored region of ancient human
      endeavour." (See Science Frontiers #132 for November-December 2000,
      "Earthmovers of the Amazon," page 1. Many thanks to William R. Corliss
      for this news story.)

      from the UFO Files...

      1886: LUMINOUS UFO APPEARS IN VENEZUELA

      One of the strangest UFO incidents of the Nineteenth Century--a true
      Close Encounter of the Second Kind--took place on the shores of Lake
      Maracaibo in Venezuela back in October of 1886.

      Here is the text of the actual report Warner Cowgill, USA Consul in
      Maracaibo, to the magazine Scientific American.

      "During the night of the 24th of October last (1886), which was rainy
      and tempestuous, a family of nine persons, sleeping in a hut a few
      leagues from Maracaibo, were awakened by a loud humming noise and a
      vivid, dazzling light which brilliantly illuminated the interior of
      the house."

      "The occupants, completely terror-stricken, and believing, as they
      relate, that the end of the world had come, threw themselves on their
      knees and commenced to pray, but their devotions were almost
      immediately interrupted by violent vomitings, and extensive swellings
      commenced to appear in the upper part of their bodies, this being
      particularly noticeable about the face and lips."

      "It is to be noted that the brilliant light was not accompanied by a
      sensation of heat, although there was a smoky appearance and a
      peculiar smell."

      "The next morning (October 25, 1886) the swellings had subsided,
      leaving upon the face and body large black blotches. No special pain
      was felt until the ninth day (November 1, 1886_ when the skin peeled
      off and these blotches were transformed into virulent raw sores."

      "The hair of the head fell off upon the side which happened to be
      underneath when the phenomenon occurred, the same side of the body
      being, in all nine cases, the more seriously injured."

      "The remarkable part of the occurrence is that the house was
      uninjured, all the doors and windows being closed at the time."

      "No trace of lightning could afterward be observed in any part of the
      building, and all the sufferers unite in saying that there was no
      detonation, but only the loud humming already mentioned."

      "Another curious attendant circumstance is that the trees around the
      house showed no signs of injury until the ninth day, when they
      suddenly withered, almost simultaneously with the development of the
      sores upon the bodies of the occupants of the house."

      "This is perhaps a mere coincidence, but it is remarkable that the
      same susceptibility to electrical effects, with the same lapse of
      time, should be observed in both animal and vegetable organisms."

      "I have visited the sufferers, who are now in one of the hospitals of
      this city and although their appearance is truly horrible, yet it is
      hoped that in no case will the injuries prove fatal."

      (See Scientific American volume 55, page 389 for 1886, "Curious
      Phenomenon in Venezuela" by Warner Cowgill. Reprinted in Strange
      Phenomena, Volume I by William R. Corliss, The Sourcebook Project,
      Glen Arm, Maryland, 1974.)

      (Editor's Comment: We know a lot more about radiation today than we
      did in 1886. It almost sounds like a miniature neutron bomb, doesn't
      it?)

      Readers in the USA, don't forget to vote in the election next Tuesday.
      At stake is the big prize-- the Oval Office itself. It's the
      Republicans versus the Democrats...Texas governor George W. Bush
      versus USA Vice President Al Gore...or, as some put, "The
      Texecutioner" versus "The Great Prevaricator."

      Join us again next week for more UFO and paranormal news from around
      the planet Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes home--UFO
      Roundup." See you then.

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2000 by Masinaigan Productions, all rights
      reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO Roundup on their
      websites or in newsgroups provided that they credit the newsletter and
      its editor by name and list the date of issue in which the item first
      appeared.

      An Appeal To Readers
      http://ufoinfo.com/roundup/funding.shtml
      Help Keep UFO Roundup Operating

      It currently costs Joseph Trainor around $100 per month to produce UFO
      Roundup. If you would like to help him keep the bulletin operating
      please consider making a donation.

      http://ufoinfo.com/roundup/v05/rnd05_44.shtml