Fwd = Nick Pope's Column

    Message 1 of 54 , Oct 31, 2000
      Forwarded by: fwestra@...
      Original Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 22:17:08 +0100 (CET)

      Hot Gossip UK November 2000

      Welcome to the November round-up of news, views and gossip from the
      weird and wonderful world of UFOs and the paranormal.

      Mussolini UFO Revelation

      Italian researchers Roberto Pinotti and Alfredo Lisoni have uncovered
      papers from the Italian government, revealing that Mussolini took an
      active interest in the UFO phenomenon, following a series of sightings
      in the Thirties (including a case from 1936 where a cigar-shaped UFO
      was seen over an air base at Mestre, and another case where an object
      described as an "air torpedo", with windows, flew over another
      military establishment. Mussolini ordered a covert investigation into
      these matters and intelligence analysts said that the incidents seemed
      genuine. Mussolini was concerned at the possibility that the UFOs were
      secret British or French aircraft, in which case his entire air force
      would have been rendered obsolete. The fact that he later threw in his
      lot with Hitler suggests he concluded that the UFOs weren't operated
      by the air forces of his enemies. Check out www.cun-italia.net for
      more details. These revelations came just months after the Italian Air
      Force gave a presentation at the San Marino UFO conference organised
      by Roberto Pinotti, and held on 3 - 4 June this year (see my July
      column and my article in the July/August issue of UFO Magazine for
      further details). It just goes to show what can happen when ufologists
      forge a relationship with government and military officials, instead
      of demonising them as the bad guys of ufology, up to their eyes in
      cover-ups and conspiracies.

      Roswell High

      It sounded as if it was going to be tacky nonsense: three American
      high school kids in Roswell, who happen to be aliens in human form.
      Surprisingly, Roswell High is actually a pretty good series, and
      handles in an entertaining and at times poignant way the aliens' quest
      to discover their own identity, whilst trying to stay one step ahead
      of the authorities. Teen angst meets ufology, and yes, there's some
      romance thrown in too. It's worth a look, as are the books that
      accompany the series, and would make a good Christmas present for
      ufologists and sci-fi fans alike. There are five books available, each
      costing �5.99, published by Pocket Books.

      UFO Magazine

      The November/December edition of UFO Magazine went on sale at the end
      of October, and should be in the shops now. It contains the usual
      fascinating mixture of features, interviews, reviews and photographs,
      including a full report on the 19th Leeds International UFO
      Conference, where the speakers included Larry Warren, Peter Robbins,
      Martyn Stubbs, Dr Steven Greer, Dr Rob Wood, Ryan Wood and L. L.
      Wille. Check out their website at www.ufomag.co.uk for further
      details.

      Near Earth Objects Task Force Report

      In my last column I commented on the publication of the Near Earth
      Objects Task Force report, which gives a scientific assessment of the
      threat posed to the Earth by comets and asteroids, and makes detailed
      recommendations for action. The issue was raised formally in
      Parliament on 28 September, by means of a Written Question in the
      House of Lords. Lord Grenfell asked "What progress there has been on
      the report of the Near Earth Objects Task Force, which was appointed
      in January by the Minister for Science". The Minister for Science,
      Lord Sainsbury of Turville, replied as follows: "The report was
      published on 18 September. It is a valuable contribution to the debate
      on this important issue. I am considering its recommendations
      carefully before coming to a view on what action to take. I will
      inform the House when I have done so. Copies of the report have been
      placed in the Libraries of both Houses". This is taken from Hansard,
      which records the details of parliamentary proceedings. If you want to
      see the report, check it out for yourself at
      www.nearearthobjects.co.uk.

      British Government UFO Files To Be Made Public?

      Talking of parliament, now the summer recess is over, politicians will
      continue the process of getting a UK Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
      onto the statute books. This has excited ufologists, who are hoping
      that this will open the floodgates and lead to many more UFO files
      being released. Under the terms of the two Public Record Acts around
      30 UFO files are currently open to scrutiny at the Public Record
      Office. But there are around 240 files in total, so what the public
      have seen is just the tip of the iceberg. The unseen files - dubbed by
      some "the real X-Files" - are the ones that I worked on from 1991 to
      1994, when I carried out my official Ministry of Defence research and
      investigation into the UFO phenomenon and other potentially related
      mysteries. Some of the files open to the public contained papers
      classified at the secret level, together with reports from military
      personnel, and cases where UFOs were tracked on radar and where jets
      were scrambled in unsuccessful attempts to intercept craft which
      turned out to be capable of speeds and manoeuvres way ahead of
      anything in our own inventory. But to coin a phrase, "you ain't seen
      nothing yet". If, once we get our FOIA, the rest of the files are made
      public, you'll see what turned me from a sceptic to a believer. As far
      as the files are concerned, the truth is in there.

      Scientific Evidence For Life After Death?

      Dr Peter Fenwick from the Institute of Psychiatry and Dr Sam Parnia
      from Southampton Hospital have just published the results of their
      experiments into near death experiences. Interviews were conducted
      with 63 survivors of heart attacks. 56 had no recollection of what
      happened while they were unconscious, and of the seven that did, four
      had been declared clinically dead. These people claimed that they
      could recall a sensation of peace and joy, coupled with a bizarre
      sensation that time was somehow speeded up. They also reported the
      bright light that has often been reported by those who have had near
      death experiences. Dr Fenwick said "If the mind and brain can be
      independent, then this raises questions about the continuation of
      consciousness after death". This story broke just as I was putting the
      finishing touches to this column, so I don't have any further details,
      but try an Internet search for Peter Fenwick. Those with an interest
      in this should also check out the book The Scole Experiment by Grant
      and Jane Solomon, published by Piatkus. Check out their website at
      www.piatkus.co.uk for details of this book and other titles on the
      paranormal.

      Ed's Note:

      Nick Pope's four books, Open Skies, Closed Minds, The Uninvited,
      Operation Thunder Child and Operation Lightning Strike are available
      from all good bookshops and from the usual Internet book sites. His UK
      publishers are Simon & Schuster. In America, The Overlook Press
      publish his books in hardback while the paperbacks are produced by
      Dell Publishing.

      � Hot Gossip UK 2000

      Message 54 of 54 , Jul 2, 2003
        Original Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:58:36 -0700

        Hot Gossip UK July 2003

        Welcome to the July 2003 round-up of news and views on UFOs, alien
        abductions, crop circles, the unexplained, the weird and the
        wonderful.

        A Roswell Requiem

        Volume 10, Number 1 of Skeptic magazine contains an interesting 14
        page article on the Roswell incident. The article is written by B. D.
        ìDukeî Gildenberg, a meteorologist who was involved with USAAF and
        USAF operations, including Project Mogul, that he believes were
        responsible for triggering the Roswell incident. He was also involved
        in work for Project Blue Book, and more recently he was involved as a
        witness and researcher for the 1997 Pentagon investigation into the
        incident, which culminated in the publication of The Roswell Report:
        Case Closed. The article is entitled A Roswell Requiem. Given this,
        and the magazine in which it is published, readers will not be
        surprised to learn that the author attributes the Roswell Incident to
        Project Mogul, compounded by the fallibility of human memory, and
        exaggeration and lies on the part of certain people. He blames
        authors, publishers and TV producers for fuelling a modern myth, and
        concludes that ufology should move on from what he regards as a
        totally discredited case. Those who have read the two USAF reports The
        Roswell Report: Fact vs. Fiction in the New Mexico Desert and The
        Roswell Report: Case Closed will not find much new in the article, but
        this is not to detract from what is an important and well-written
        summary of the sceptical case against Roswell. Gildenberg uses the
        testimony of Captain Cavitt against the claims of Major Jesse Marcel,
        and that of Professor Kimball against the claims of Glenn Dennis.
        Believers can legitimately argue that the memories of Cavitt, say, are
        no more or less reliable than those of Marcel. However, any suggestion
        that those witnesses or experts supporting the official view are part
        of the conspiracy, or have been got at, would be more tenuous. The
        article has a sarcastic tone in places, but setting that aside, it is
        an important piece of journalism that, whatever ones views on Roswell,
        deserves a wider audience in ufology than it will probably get. Click
        on [1]www.skeptic.com for details of the magazine.

        Crop Circle Advertising

        Images of crop circles have often been incorporated into
        advertisements, illustrating how they have become part of the popular
        culture. The same has happened with UFOs and aliens. A new
        advertisement for tourism in Wiltshire has now used a crop circle
        photograph to promote the area, which is an interesting example of
        local government officials using the imagery. The imagery appears in a
        magazine advertisement, but there are a couple of references to crop
        circles on the official local authority site at [2]www.kennet.gov.uk
        together with links to some crop circle websites.

        NASA Nuclear Mission

        In a controversial move, NASA have given the go ahead to a deep space
        mission powered by a miniature nuclear reactor. The move has upset
        environmentalists concerned at the safety implications, especially in
        the light of the tragic loss of the space shuttle Columbia earlier
        this year. An essential safety feature will mean that the reactor
        cannot be switched on until the spacecraft has gone well beyond the
        orbit of the Earth. Project Prometheus involves NASA funding Lockheed
        Martin to investigate the concepts needed to design a viable nuclear
        propulsion system. The first aim would be a mission to some of the
        moons of Jupiter such as Callisto, Europa and Ganymede, where
        primitive life may exist in oceans beneath the icy surfaces. The
        likely launch date will be 2011. In the longer term, this technology
        may be the first step towards the previously stated NASA aim of a star
        mission. For this to occur in a meaningful timescale, radical new
        propulsion systems will be needed, incorporating nuclear mission, or
        matter/antimatter annihilation.

        Open Skies Closed Minds in Romania

        I am pleased to announce that my first book Open Skies Closed Minds is
        to be published in Romania. Open Skies Closed Minds is an overview of
        the UFO phenomenon, focusing on my running the UK Government UFO
        research and investigation project, at the Ministry of Defence. My
        books are available in America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, and
        have previously been translated into various other languages,
        including German, Greek and Polish. On past form, English language UFO
        books being translated into other languages leads to greater liaison
        between researchers in different countries, and results in previously
        unreported cases being given greater prominence. My thanks go to the
        respected ufologist Ion Hobana for arranging this.

        Glastonbury Symposium 2003

        On 25, 26 and 27 July the Glastonbury Symposium 2003 takes place at
        The Town Hall, Glastonbury. Entitled Investigating Crop Circles and
        Signs of Our Times, the symposium features a host of well known names,
        including Maurice Cotterell, Ed Sherwood and Michael Glickman. The
        special Sunday night guest is Budd Hopkins. However, the focus will be
        on crop circles, and the event includes a coach tour of whatever
        formations are in the area at the time. The event is hosted by Andy
        Thomas and Karen Douglas, and details can be found at the
        [3]www.glastonburysymposium.co.uk website.

        The 2003 Crop Circle Convention

        If Glastonbury whets your appetite, then there is another three day
        crop circle conference on 8, 9 and 10 August, in the Cricklade Theatre
        in Andover, Hampshire. Invited speakers include Colin Andrews, Reg
        Presley, Philip Mantle, Lucy Pringle and Busty Taylor. I have no
        internet site details for this event, but further information can be
        obtained by telephoning 01392 677462 any evening. Bookings can be made
        by calling 01264 360063 during office hours.

        Ed's Note:

        Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an
        overview of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official
        Ministry of Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an
        overview of the alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and
        Operation Lightning Strike are science fiction novels about alien
        invasion, incorporating UFO and abduction data. All four titles are
        available from most good bookshops and all the usual Internet book
        sites.

        © Knight International 2003