And the people all said sit down....

  • Bobbie Felder
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 27, 2000
      The events of today have prompted this email. To those who are not
      interested in freedom of speech, please delete this message now. You will
      not be interested in it. To those who are interested, read on.

      I encourage everyone to listen to the Horizons Radio archive from 10/27.
      There are some very strong statements made in support of freedom of speech,
      especially in relation to the UFO field. The interview with Steve Bassett
      is definitely worth the listen. It is, however, the subject of freedom of
      speech and expression that this email deals with.

      One individual who is a part of the "UFO community" took it upon himself to
      try to censor the type of material that we produce on Horizons Radio and
      webcast. This individual went so far as to make multiple phone calls to
      the manager of KREF radio in Norman, OK, today. This is the radio station
      where our live broadcast originated. This individual went so far as to call
      our sponsors and insinuate litigation would be forthcoming if they continued
      their sponsorship of our Horizons program. This individual went so far as to
      have his co-horts spam the manager at KREF with emails stating what low-life
      caliber people they believe the Horizons staff to be.

      In the UFO and paranormal field, there is very little that is "carved in
      stone". There is an abundance of opinion and speculation, but there is a
      lack of solid, scientific data to support claims made. We at Horizons do not
      begrudge anyone their right to make these claims. We do, however, reserve
      our right to freedom of speech and freedom of expression when it comes to
      these extraordinary claims. In short, we feel that our opinion is just as
      valid as the opinion of any other. And while we will fight for the right of
      others to express their opinions, so will we fight for our right to express
      our opinion.

      We at Horizons believe that every individual has the capacity for independent
      thought. We at Horizons believe that every individual has an inherent right
      to freely express their views and opinions. Likewise, we reserve the right
      to freely express our views and opinions. We reserve the right to question
      any information presented as fact. We reserve the right to put forth our
      opinion on any conclusions drawn or speculations rendered up as fact by
      anyone making these
      claims in a public forum, be it a written forum or a verbal one. We reserve
      the right to question any data presented as scientific fact. We reserve the
      right to express our opinions and viewpoints on any issue of our choosing,
      and we welcome every individual to do the same.

      We consider any and all information presented in a printed medium,
      including, but not limited to, the printed medium of publicly accessible
      forums on the internet such as webpages, email lists, newsgroups, open IRC
      chat forums, bbs and message boards, to be within the public domain and
      therefore open to scrutiny and comment.

      We ask no one to relinquish their right to freedom of speech and open
      expression of their beliefs, ideals, opinions, and viewpoints. Likewise, we
      expect the same in return. We will not censor, nor will we be censored. We
      will not give up our right to freedom of speech simply to appease the ego of
      a few in a field that is fraught with innuendo, uncertainty, pseudo-science,
      speculation, rumor, and fabrication.

      The above is the opinion of Horizons Radio, and it will remain so until such
      time as we choose to change it. Our on-air personality, Mr. Lan Lamphere, will
      express his views and opinions in his own style and with his own words.
      Anyone wishing to make an opposing statement on air is welcome to contact
      Horizons Radio to arrange for air time. And you may present your opposing
      viewpoint in your own style and with your own words....within the confines
      of FCC broadcast regulations, of course. [If you have a problem with that
      limitation, take it up with the FCC].

      The events of today prompted this email. And the events of today have
      solidified the staff of Horizons Radio in our quest to provide the very best
      in talk radio for the UFO and paranormal arenas. And we will continue to do
      that from our "skeptical believer", questioning, scrutizining point of view.

      Open your mind to the possibilities.......

      http://www.oklahomasky.com

      Bobbie "Jilain" Felder

      http://www.oklahomasky.com
      IRC Undernet #horizons
      ICQ #7524076

      ~~~And the people all said sit down....sit down, you're rocking the boat~~~
    • Russell H
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 28, 2000
        You are so full of crap.

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 28, 2000
          At 10:02 AM 10/28/00 -0500, "Russell H" <abcdefg@...> wrote:

          >You are so full of crap.

          Exercising one's right to free speech makes them full of crap? Well, I
          guess you are full of crap, Russell, because you just exercised YOUR right
          to voice your opinion.

          And whether you like it or not, I will exercise my right to do the same. I
          suggest you deal with it :)

          Bobbie

          Bobbie "Jilain" Felder

          http://www.oklahomasky.com
          IRC Undernet #horizons
          ICQ #7524076

          ~~~And the people all said sit down....sit down, you're rocking the boat~~~
        • Joe McGonagle
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 28, 2000
            Choose your seconds-handbags at dawn?
            If you want to insult each other, please do it in private, you are
            bringing back unpleasant childhood memories of the playground.
            Joe
            --- In ufonet@e..., Bobbie Felder <jilain@d...> wrote:

          • Russell H
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 28, 2000
              Actually, I was referring to your world of make believe. You're always
              trying to make controversy out of nothing and as usual you're always the
              victim. You enjoy being a victim. You thrive on it. You enjoy negative
              attention. If you really don't like it, then stop making yourself available
              for attack. It's not just you either. It's Lanny, apparently Scotty and
              anyone else you've managed to persuade. The attacks bring the group closer
              together like you described in your previous email. Have you ever thought of
              why that is? It's all basic psychology. When any group of people with
              similar beliefs are confronted with adversity it resolves their solidity as
              a group. It doesn't make the belief or purpose of that group any more
              legitimate though. Anyway, it doesn't take a doctor to figure all this out.
              It's quite obvious to anyone who's dealt with you over a period of time.

              Exercising one's right to free speech makes them full of crap? Well, I
              guess you are full of crap, Russell, because you just exercised YOUR right
              to voice your opinion.

              And whether you like it or not, I will exercise my right to do the same. I
              suggest you deal with it :)

              Bobbie

              Bobbie "Jilain" Felder

              http://www.oklahomasky.com
              IRC Undernet #horizons
              ICQ #7524076

              ~~~And the people all said sit down....sit down, you're rocking the boat~~~

              UFOnet is an open, international, free news and discussion list devoted to:
              UFOs, Anomalous Phenomena, Astronomy, Skywatching, SETI, the Latest on
              Aerospace Research and Space Flight, Free & New Energy, Exoscience, etc.
              ufonet-subscribe@egroups.com

              Messages to the list-owner: jkumeling@...

              Word voor fl 20,- lid van de UFOnieuwsbrief. Zes maal per jaar in de echte
            • Roger Anderton
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2000
                Very interesting. I am confused about 'belief systems.' You say things like:

                > We at Horizons believe that every individual has the capacity for
                independent
                > thought. We at Horizons believe that every individual has an inherent
                right
                > to freely express their views and opinions.

                etc.

                This individual who upset you, believed he had the right to censor you.

                How, can different 'belief systems' be reconciled?

                Which 'belief system' has the right to dictate over another?