Fwd = Universe Today #284, August 3, 2000

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2000
      Forwarded by: fwestra@...
      Originally from: Universe Today <newsletter@...>
      Original Subject: Universe Today #284, August 3, 2000
      Original Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 11:58:45 -0700

      the
      U N I V E R S E
      T O D A Y

      Space Exploration News From Around the Internet, Updated Every Weekday.
      August 3, 2000 - Issue #284
      http://www.universetoday.com
      info@...

      An HTML version of this newsletter including pictures is available at:
      http://www.universetoday.com/html/misc/today.html

      **************************************

      A note from the publisher,

      I'm going to try an experiment in this newsletter. If you take a look at
      the stories, I've added links back to the Universe Today newsletter story
      archive and directory of space links. So, if you're interested in a topic
      and want to see the full story thread, or if you're interested in the
      general topic, and want to find related websites, that's what these extra
      links are for.

      I've been doing this one the website for several months now, but this is
      the first time I've put them into the newsletter. So, it's up to you,
      gentle reader, to decide the fate of this feature.

      Handy links for engaging research or eye-gouging clutter? Let me know.

      It's a little known secret that I respond to all the email - usually
      pretty quickly. Go ahead, test me. I dare you.

      Fraser Cain
      Publisher
      Universe Today

      **************************************

      -- UNIVERSE TODAY STORY SUMMARY --

      * Wobbling Pulsar Analyzed by Jodrell Bank
      * Japanese Space Shuttle Program Halted
      * Hubble Captures New Images of Globular Star Cluster

      WOBBLING PULSAR ANALYZED BY JODRELL BANK
      -------------------------
      Astronomers using the Lovell Telescope at the Jodrell Bank Observatory
      have discovered a wobbling pulsar - PSR B1828-11. Like many pulsars, this
      supernova remnant is the size of a city, weighs a million times the mass
      of the Earth, and spins 2. 5 times/second. But unlike any previously
      discovered pulsar, it wobbles like a slowing top, with a period of 1000
      days. This wobbling was discovered by analyzing 13 years of data
      collected by the observatory.

      Original Source:
      http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/news/neutronstar/">Jodrell Bank Press Release

      Internet Coverage:
      http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0008/02neutroninside/
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_863000/863559.stm

      Similar Stories:
      http://www.universetoday.com/html/topics/astronomy.html

      Related Sites:
      http://www.universetoday.com/html/directory/observatories.html

      JAPANESE SPACE SHUTTLE PROGRAM HALTED
      -------------------------
      An unmanned Japanese version of the space shuttle, called the Hope-X, has
      been put on hold while the Japanese space agency determines what launch
      vehicle it will use. The Hope-X was originally designed to be launched
      with on an H-2 rocket, but recent launch mishaps of the rocket have
      forced NASDA to reconsider. An alternative being considered is to launch
      the shuttle on the back of a reusable jet plane. Already 4 years behind
      schedule, the Hope-X was supposed to fly its first mission by 2004.

      Original Source:
      http://yyy.tksc.nasda.go.jp/Home/Space_Trans/e/hope_x_e.html

      Internet Coverage:
      http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/space/08/02/japan.shuttle.ap/index.html
      http://www.foxnews.com/science/080200/shuttle_japan.sml
      http://www.msnbc.com/news/440920.asp
      http://www.flatoday.com/space/explore/stories/2000b/080300japan.htm

      Similar Stories:
      http://www.universetoday.com/html/topics/japanese.html

      Related Sites:
      http://www.universetoday.com/html/directory/spaceagencies.html

      HUBBLE CAPTURES NEW IMAGES OF GLOBULAR STAR CLUSTER
      -------------------------
      The Hubble Space Telescope recently took stunning new images of the
      globular star cluster M15. Located 40,000 light years away, in the
      direction of the constellation of Pegasus, M15 is a spherical association
      of hundreds of thousands of stars. These new Hubble images are designed
      to show the stars of the cluster in their true colours - from cooler
      orange and red stars to hot blue and white stars. The image also contains
      a rare planetary nebula.

      Original Source:
      http://oposite.stsci.edu/pubinfo/PR/2000/25/index.html

      Internet Coverage:
      http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/space/08/03/hubble.globular.cluste/index.html

      Similar Stories:
      http://www.universetoday.com/html/topics/hubble.html

      Related Sites:
      http://www.universetoday.com/html/directory/astrophotography.html

      **************************************
      A few more astronomy clubs, web pages and space societies.

      Rick Keil's Astrophotography - http://www.geocities.com/rnmkeil/
      Astronomy and astrophotography with a Meade 8" LX50. Also included are
      some helpful hints and modifications to the LX50, along with a lot of
      very informative links.

      Astronomes Amateurs du Luxembourg - http://www.aal.lu
      Luxembourg's only amateur astronomy association. Founded in 1971, now
      counting more than 160 members. Bringing people into contact with
      astronomy is the main goal of our association. This is why we organise
      introductory courses in school classes and offer telescope observations
      to people at selected sites throughout the country. Our website includes
      information about our activities, upcoming sky events, as well as
      frequently updated astronomy news, links, gallery and a special solar
      eclipse page.

      Tar River Astronomy Club - http://www.mindspring.com/~midniterider/Mypage.htm
      Tar River Astronomy Club - Rocky Mount, NC. Meets the first Tuesday of
      each month at 7:00 at NC Weslyan College, Rm 210 Gravely Hall. Our next
      star party will be Sep 31st.

      Galactic Images - http://www.galacticimages.com
      Visit Galactic Images & The Chumack Observatory website to view some of
      the beautiful deep space & comet photographs taken by a Professional
      Astrophotographer. The site offers a very large image archive, and many
      museum quality fully framed and unframed astronomical photographs, with
      sizes up to 32x40.

      All contents copyright (c) 2000 Universe Today