Re: UFOnet: Re: The Smoking Gun Tape

  • John locker
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2000
      I seem to be having to explain myself over and over here , but thats OK , we
      need to sort this one out....so lets take a quote from CNN.

      "The satellite was supposed to generate some 3,000 volts of electricity as
      it swept through the earth's magnetic field on the end of a 12-mile,
      shoestring-thin tether. But the tether snapped, sending the satellite
      rushing away from the shuttle. "

      Shoe string thin...there we are , taken from one of their reports , at the
      time of the mission .

      Check out CNNs site, search STS 75....they have real video clips ,
      explanations etc...it's all there.

      Finally , the "object" doesnt cast a "shadow" on the tether , its an
      abberation caused by the intensity of the light source .... the sun !

      Best wishes,

      John.

      *
      * { }
      //////////--[][][]--//////////
      { } *
      *
      *
      Replies to........ satcom@... please.
      John locker
      G7MIZ

      Satellite and Communications Consultant
      Freelance Journalist and contributor What Satellite TV:
      Tele-Satellite International : Shortwave magazine .
      Presenter of SpaceNews from Liverpool ( DrDish@TV )
      Home-page http://www.satcom.uksysops.com

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2000
        From: John locker, satcom@...

        >Firstly , the tether was only a few centimetres wide...fact.
        >
        >Secondly you are showing a fundamental lack of understanding when it comes
        >to observing objects in space.
        >The tether had no luminance of its own unless lit by sunlight , and or the
        >possible effects of the plasma shield.
        Hi, I'm new to the list.

        I have a few questions on how carefully you actually looked at the
        picture. Even if the tether was a few cm wide, at what distance and/or
        magnification was the footage taken? It takes up a very wide black
        space. Also, set the slider to 4/7 of the way and just as the object
        leaves the tether. Don't you see a shadow cast on the illuminated
        portion of the tether, that was clearly not within the object's outline,
        which meant that the object was between the light source and tether?
      • Autymn D. C.
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2000
          From: John locker, satcom@...

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
            From the SeeSat mailing list for March 4 1996 a description of the tether as
            viewed from Hawai'i

            "This morning Honolulu had a great view of the untethered satellite as it
            passed about 42 degrees up in our sky. It was very obvious and lots of
            ohh's and ahhh's were heard from the group of early risers who braved the
            cold winds that made us "Hawaii weather wimps" shiver!

            One TV crew was even able to catch it on video! The tether was about 3
            moon diameters across with a brighter point at one end (like a
            pinhead). Although Hawai'i seems to be much favored compared with most of
            the US, however, if it does enter your sky, don't miss it - it's
            spectacular! Also, make sure that you are using the latest elements since
            they are changing daily. This satellite has about 600X's more drag than
            most other satellites!"

            The shoe string wide tether.....viewed with the naked eye.

            John.
            *
            * { }
            { } *