Re: UFOnet: Re: The Smoking Gun Tape

  • Cosmic Conspiracies
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2000
      Dear John,
      Having re-reviewed the particular clip that I sent out, I can see that it
      does in fact look like the 'disk' in question does pass INFRONT of the
      tether, when the clip is paused or slowed down. However, I still think that
      the object is nearer to the tether, rather than the camera because as it
      passes over the tether it leaves a shadow on it. Signifying that is must be
      close to the tether. If it was a near camera object you wouldnt get the
      shadow at all.

      Dave at 'Cosmic Conspiracies'
      http://members.madasafish.com/~coscon

    • John locker
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2000
        Dave ,

        The object could not possibly put a shadow "on" the tether as the tether
        itself was only a few centimeteres wide.At 70 miles this would just be
        impossible , even if the object was within a few metres of the tether
        itself.

        What the still proves is that the whole sequence is subject to light
        diffusion/flooding and over exposure due to a combination of factors...sun
        angle/intensity , lens focus/exposure

        The object must be :-
        A Tiny
        B within a few centimetre of the lens

        In other words , part of the microcosm of "flotsam" which floats with the
        shuttle made up of dust , ice and debris.

        Hope this helps,

        Regards,

        John.

        *
        * { }
        //////////--[][][]--//////////
        { } *
        *
        *
        Replies to........ satcom@... please.
        John locker

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2000
          John,

          If the tether was indeed only a few centimetres wide, how come we can see it
          70+ miles away? throw a dice into space and see if you can see it at that
          distance. If you watch other segments of the footage, we see thousands of
          articles (looking similar to sperm under a microscope), surely this amount
          of debris in space would completely pepper our spacecraft making them
          useless?

          Finally someone from NASA has suggested to me that the coloured flares on
          the footage seen by the airlock are gliches on the tape...these flares
          appear as green and red, caused by coloured wheels in the camera? But this
          person also tells me that the film used is black and white?? how can this
          be.. you cant produce colours on a black and white film.. even with a
          coloured lense. If this is the case, why do we hear the astronauts
          commenting on several flashes, if they are only film glitches?

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2000
            Hi Dave,

            You are in danger of backing yourself into a corner here , but perhaps I can
            help you out.

            Firstly , the tether was only a few centimetres wide...fact.

            Secondly you are showing a fundamental lack of understanding when it comes
            to observing objects in space.
            The tether had no luminance of its own unless lit by sunlight , and or the
            possible effects of the plasma shield.
            It was however highly reflective and once it caught the light from the
            rising sun became highly visible.
            I have a report from 1996 when an observer in Australia saw it from the
            ground.There were other reports too of naked eye sightings.

            The shuttle does indeed carry with it millions of tiny particles which also
            reflect the light.
            I mentioned in the past , looking into an almost sterile room when a beam of
            sunlight shines in.
            What do you see?
            Millions of tiny dots of dust.....although when the sun beam disappears , so
            do the dust particles....same principle.

            Each time a shuttle carries out a water dump , the fluid released freezes
            into millions of tiny ice crystals.Even this can be seen from the ground if
            lighting is correct.....it appears as a cloud of sparkling dots in the night
            sky....again , I have reports from all over the world of sightings from the
            ground.

            Now on the basis that the Smoking Gun video put such store on the tether
            incident......I think we have clearly shown that the incident was nothing
            unusual.

            For those interested I have attached below NASAs mission day highlights
            about the tether release.

            NOTE in particular the section....

            "For a third investigation of the orbiter's ionospheric surroundings, the
            SETS and SPREE experiments teamed up with the Tether Optical Phenomena
            (TOP), Research on Orbital Plasma Electrodynamics (ROPE) and Research on
            Electrodynamic Tether Effects (RETE) experiments to study the electron beams
            fired from the SETS experiment's electron gun."

            Finally as regards the flecks of light outside the airlock....

            The specks are common to much of the STS footage , and have been deemed to
            be cosmic ray features.
            A recently interviewed German Mir crew member commented that cosmic rays
            were vis to the naked eye."Even when we closed our eyes ," he said , "we
            could still see them...we used to count them , like sheep , to help us get
            to sleep."

            Regards,

            John.

            Excerpt from NASAs mission day highlights STS 75.

            For a third investigation of the orbiter's ionospheric surroundings, the
            SETS and SPREE experiments teamed up with the Tether Optical Phenomena
            (TOP), Research on Orbital Plasma Electrodynamics (ROPE) and Research on
            Electrodynamic Tether Effects (RETE) experiments to study the electron beams
            fired from the SETS experiment's electron gun. Previous measurements
            indicated that a thin electron beam emitted from the orbiter quickly expands
            in width to form a cylinder. The effectiveness of these electron emissions
            from the orbiter depends on various factors, including the beam's direction,
            the local ionosphere's density, and the orbiter's electrical potential
            compared with that of the ionosphere.

            While Mission Specialist Claude Nicollier used the TOP camera to watch the
            electron beams, the tethered satellite-mounted ROPE and RETE experiments
            used their plasma diagnostic instruments to observe the beams during both
            sunlight and darkness to obtain data.

            The RETE investigation also participated in an electromagnetic environment
            calibration with the SETS instruments. This calibration observes
            low-frequency waves not produced by the tethered satellite. Sources of these
            waves include interaction of the orbiter with the ionosphere, ground-based
            transmitters, atmospheric lightning, orbiter electrical machinery and
            electron gun firings. Essentially, this experiment calibrates the
            "background noise" that can be picked up by tethered satellite instruments.

            The RETE experiment, led by Dr. Marino Dobrowolny of the Italian Space
            Agency, will provide information about the electrical potential of the
            ionized gas, or "plasma," sheath that will surround the tethered satellite
            during its deployed operations. The ROPE investigation, led by Dr. Nobie
            Stone of the Marshall Space Flight Center, is designed to study the behavior
            of charged and neutral particles around the tethered satellite under a
            variety of conditions. Last night, these investigations helped scientists to
            determine how quickly electrons will be returned to the ionosphere to
            complete the tether system's electrical circuit and allow the tethered
            satellite system to generate electricity.

            During the night, the crew also reconfigured the laptop computer to enable
            it to communicate with both cores of the smartflex data relay in Columbia's
            cargo bay. During the next twelve hours, actual deployment operations for
            the tethered satellite will begin at 2:45 p.m., CST as the crew releases the
            satellite so it can be reeled out.

            On Sunday, February 25, 1996, 8:00 a.m. CST, STS-75 MCC Status Report # 06
            reports:

            Columbia's crew will begin the deploy sequence of the Tethered Satellite
            System about 2:45 this afternoon after a one-day delay to allow flight
            controllers and the astronauts additional time to properly check out the
            various science instruments and equipment that will be used throughout the
            two-day operation.

            The delay also gave flight controllers time to refine any troubleshooting
            procedures that might be used in the event the Smart Flex computer relay
            system develops problems during the deploy operations. The system has been
            operating trouble-free for more than 24 hours since being systematically
            checked out early Saturday morning.

            Prior to initiating the deploy sequence, the boom supporting the Tethered
            Satellite will be raised out of the payload bay to a height of about 39
            feet. The satellite will be released from its docking ring capture latches
            at the top of the boom and will slowly and deliberately be deployed to a
            distance of slightly more than 12 mile (20 kilometers) over a five and a
            half hour period. The satellite will remain 'on station' for science
            operations for about 22 hours.

            Retrieval of TSS would follow with the satellite being reeled back in during
            another five and half hour period, stopping for additional science data
            gathering at a distance of about one mile from the Shuttle. This second 'on
            station' operation is scheduled to last for nine hours before the final
            retrieval and docking of the satellite. The entire TSS operation is
            scheduled to last about 48 hours.

            Communications and commanding of the satellite during deploy and retrieve is
            done by a radio link to the Space Shuttle by ground commands from NASA's
            Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, which has overall program
            management for the TSS project.

            With Columbia's systems in excellent shape, activities today are focused on
            the deploy of the Tethered Satellite. Columbia continues to circle the Earth
            every 90 minutes at an altitude of 184 miles.

            On Sunday, February 25, 1996, 6:00 p.m. CST, STS-75 MCC Status Report # 07
            reports:

            Three and a half years after an errant bolt halted its deployment, the
            Italian Tethered Satellite successfully began its journey from the Shuttle
            Columbia for two days of scientific studies.

            Suspended at the end of a slim tether, the satellite's thrusters nudged TSS
            away from a docking ring atop a 40-foot boom towering over Columbia's cargo
            bay at 2:45 PM Central time. The satellite slowly moved away from Columbia
            into the darkness of space as the astronauts reported little oscillation in
            the long tether. An hour later, the TSS had passed the distance of maximum
            deployment achieved on its previous flight, 843 feet, during the STS-46
            mission in the summer of 1992.

            Astronauts and ground controllers overcame previous difficulties with data
            handling equipment and portable computers which had caused a one-day delay
            in the deployment. Operating on a normal timeline today, the crew checked
            out the satellite and its associated systems before extending the TSS boom
            above the bay like a giant tower. After making sure that Columbia and the
            TSS could communicate over radio links, a power umbilical to the satellite
            was released, placing the satellite on internal battery power. Columbia's
            maneuvering jets were temporarily disabled during the TSS deployment, to
            avoid any disturbances to the tether during the satellite's initial flyaway.

            TSS is expected to reach its farthest distance from Columbia, almost 13
            miles, by late this evening for more than 24 hours of scientific studies on
            electromagnetic phenomena and the use of tethers for satellite management.
            The satellite will begin its slow creep back to Columbia Monday night in
            advance of its final retrieval and docking back on its boom at about 12:43
            PM Central time Tuesday afternoon.

            Columbia is functioning perfectly in support of TSS operations as it orbits
            the Earth every 90 minutes at an altitude of about 180 statute miles.

            *
            * { }
            //////////--[][][]--//////////
            { } *
            *
            *
            Replies to........ satcom@... please.
            John locker

            Satellite and Communications Consultant
            Freelance Journalist From: Cosmic Conspiracies <littlegreys@...>

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2000
              I seem to be having to explain myself over and over here , but thats OK , we
              need to sort this one out....so lets take a quote from CNN.

              "The satellite was supposed to generate some 3,000 volts of electricity as
              it swept through the earth's magnetic field on the end of a 12-mile,
              shoestring-thin tether. But the tether snapped, sending the satellite
              rushing away from the shuttle. "

              Shoe string thin...there we are , taken from one of their reports , at the
              time of the mission .

              Check out CNNs site, search STS 75....they have real video clips ,
              explanations etc...it's all there.

              Finally , the "object" doesnt cast a "shadow" on the tether , its an
              abberation caused by the intensity of the light source .... the sun !

              Best wishes,

              John.

              *
              * { }
              //////////--[][][]--//////////
              { } *
              *
              *
              Replies to........ satcom@... please.
              John locker
              G7MIZ

              Satellite and Communications Consultant
              Freelance Journalist and contributor What Satellite TV:
              Tele-Satellite International : Shortwave magazine .
              Presenter of SpaceNews from Liverpool ( DrDish@TV )
              Home-page http://www.satcom.uksysops.com

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2000
                From: John locker, satcom@...

                >Firstly , the tether was only a few centimetres wide...fact.
                >
                >Secondly you are showing a fundamental lack of understanding when it comes
                >to observing objects in space.
                >The tether had no luminance of its own unless lit by sunlight , and or the
                >possible effects of the plasma shield.
                Hi, I'm new to the list.

                I have a few questions on how carefully you actually looked at the
                picture. Even if the tether was a few cm wide, at what distance and/or
                magnification was the footage taken? It takes up a very wide black
                space. Also, set the slider to 4/7 of the way and just as the object
                leaves the tether. Don't you see a shadow cast on the illuminated
                portion of the tether, that was clearly not within the object's outline,
                which meant that the object was between the light source and tether?
              • Autymn D. C.
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2000
                  From: John locker, satcom@...

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
                    From the SeeSat mailing list for March 4 1996 a description of the tether as
                    viewed from Hawai'i

                    "This morning Honolulu had a great view of the untethered satellite as it
                    passed about 42 degrees up in our sky. It was very obvious and lots of
                    ohh's and ahhh's were heard from the group of early risers who braved the
                    cold winds that made us "Hawaii weather wimps" shiver!

                    One TV crew was even able to catch it on video! The tether was about 3
                    moon diameters across with a brighter point at one end (like a
                    pinhead). Although Hawai'i seems to be much favored compared with most of
                    the US, however, if it does enter your sky, don't miss it - it's
                    spectacular! Also, make sure that you are using the latest elements since
                    they are changing daily. This satellite has about 600X's more drag than
                    most other satellites!"

                    The shoe string wide tether.....viewed with the naked eye.

                    John.
                    *
                    * { }
                    { } *