New UFO(?) Circles In Canada Discovered

  • ufonet
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2000

      New UFO(?) Circles In Canada Discovered
      By Doug Lunney - Winnipeg Sun

      The discovery of crop circles in a remote area of the Interlake has
      intrigued the UFO researcher who debunked Manitoba's last similar

      The author of four books about local UFO sightings and related phenomena in
      Manitoba, Chris Rutkowski is contemplating a trip to a field east of Ashern
      where locals have discovered unusual markings on some unused Crown land.

      "It would be interesting to take a look and see what has people excited,"
      Rutkowski said yesterday.

      Chuck Gosselin found the site while on a nature hike with his wife Laverne.

      "If you put that I thought it was a spaceship, everyone would say I'm a
      nut," Gosselin told the Interlake Spectator.

      The Gosselins happened across several doughnut-shaped markings, with a small
      circle of live growth in the exact centre of a larger circle of dead
      vegetation. The perfectly formed circles range from about 10 to 25 feet in
      diameter, and at least four appear to have been created in the past year.

      Some of the circles may be up to five years old, judging from the amount of
      regrowth, Gosselin said. That factor particularly piqued Rutkowski's

      "An argument against hoaxing would be: What's the point of doing it if
      they're not going to be discovered for a year?' " Rutkowski said.

      There haven't been any crop circles reported for three or four years in
      Manitoba, Rutkowski said.

      "Although they are, pardon the pun, cropping up all over the place," he
      chuckled. "There have been some in Alberta this year, in England and in
      parts of Russia."

      Lesley Bond, a Manitoba Agriculture representative from the area, was
      baffled after visiting the site.

      "It's definitely the first time I've seen anything like this and I don't
      have any explanation for it," Bond said. "To me it's not herbicide or
      insecticide injury or fire. I have no clue what could have caused it."

      Crop markings can appear naturally as a result of copper poisoning from
      manure dumping or copper deficiencies in the soil, Rutkowski said.

      Rutkowski was able to prove the last reported circles to be a hoax a few
      years ago. He found the 17-year-old boy who made the triangular and round
      impressions in a field in Cook's Creek.

      "This one was a real good one in that he actually signed his work,"
      Rutkowski laughed.

      "He was pretty cagey, he didn't want to say how he did it. There were these
      interesting triangles and circles and next to them were giant letters
      spelling out his name. That was a pretty dead give away."

      It was difficult to see the letters from the ground, however, because they
      were so large. Rutkowski looked at photographs from someone who'd flown over
      the field.

      When Rutkowski confronted the lad, he said 'Yeah, I did it. What did you
      think? Pretty good, eh?' "