More on the Phoenix Lights

  • Bobbie Felder
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2000
      From: Bill Hamilton <skywatcher22@...>
      black-triangle-owner@egroups.com
      Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:31:27 -0400 (EDT)
      Subject: RE: Fwd: [black-triangle] Re: Phoenix Lights/Bill Hamilton

      I have put together more information (which appears on my
      website) on the flare vs orb analysis:

      The flares allegedly jettisoned by the A-10s on March 13, 1997 were
      LUU-2 flares.
      (Note: The LUU-2B Flare has a light output rating of 1.8 x 10(6)
      candlepower and at 1,000 feet altitude illuminates a circle on the ground of
      500 meters at 5 lux. The lights we saw that night did not have the intense
      glare of an automobile headlight...they were easy to look at)

      Dr. Bruce Macabee analyzed the video footage taken on March 13, 1997
      and on January 14, 1998 and concluded that the objects taped were
      most probably "flares".

      The bulk of the research done by Dr. Macabee was concentrated on the
      unidimensional determination of the location of the lights and the
      conclusion he reaches does not necessary follow from his analysis. His
      conclusion is not consistent with the story related by the Maryland Air
      National Guard that they had dropped high-intensity flares on the North Tac
      Range. The actual location of the flares as determined by Dr. Macabee are
      areas near the East Tac range at the extreme south end of the AF test range.
      He did not use the "T" video or Mr. Tom King's
      video in order to arrive at these figures. The triangulations are predicated
      on the assumption that all videos are taken of the same string of lights
      during the same time frame. If the videos were not all taken in the same
      time frame, then the triangulation of location is not valid.

      Dr. Macabee talks about the compensation for magnification changes between
      video frames by determining the spacings between ground
      lights (measured in pixels) and identifying the same ground lights in
      another frame where the spacing between the ground lights in frame B
      is divided by the spacing between ground lights in frame A. The ratio of
      these spacings, as he points out gives the difference in magnification (or
      camera zoom) between the frames. We will use this same technique on two of
      the videos, the K video and the Tom King video between frames taken on the
      night of March 13th and frames taken of the same views in daylight to
      determine the placing of these lights relative to the Estrella Mountains
      since witnesses have stated that it was their visual impression that the
      lights were in front of this mountain range and this is at odds with the
      locations determined by Macabee's triangulations. How can we account for any
      discrepancies? If these lights were part of an array of lights that "turned
      on" and "turned off" at different intervals, then it can be shown that the
      entire array was in motion, i.e. had moved from one position to another over
      an interval of time. Since Mr. King started videotaping at a time as much as
      10 minutes before K videotaped the array, then there is some cause for
      concern on the location of the lights during the tapings. We will show that
      the lights did not extinguish in the same sequence in the different videos,
      and they should have if taped at the same time.

      FRAME COMPARISONS

      Using Frame A from K's video, we measure the distance between 2 large
      lighted buildings on the Phoenix skyline that appear just below the
      array. At first I measured this spacing in centimeters, but then displayed
      it on a pixel grid. The pixels between the 2 taller lighted buildings is 51
      pixels. We then measure the height of light #3 from the right side of the
      array. Even though lights #1 and 2 appear at a lower elevation that light
      #3, they were not used in the analysis done by the Cognitech Corporation
      (Dr. Leonid Rudin) done for the Discovery Channel documentary (November,
      1997). This seemed strange to me since the the lights on the right were at
      the lowest elevation at an alignment with the crestline where the crestline
      of the mountains rises instead of dips.Fox Channel 10 in Phoenix took the
      same set of 5 lights as Cognitech and superimposed them on the day footage.
      The day footage was taken at a twilight hour when the lights of the skyline
      are also visible with the Estrella Mountains in the background. The vertical
      distance taken from a horizontal line drawn between the 2 buildings to light
      #3 is 71 pixels. The separation of the buildings identified in the daylight
      footage is 27 pixels, obviously taken at lower magnification. The ratio
      between the line segments or spacings is approximately .53. Therefore
      light#3 should appear at about 37.5 pixels above the horizontal line. Fox
      placed this light at about pixel 36 above the line (a pixel-and-half-low),
      but the crestline at that point appears at 47 pixels above the line. This is
      a significant difference. The indication is that the crestline is a vertical
      distance greater than light#3 and would be even higher over lights #1
      and 2. The implication is that the witness was correct when he said that the
      lights appeared below and in front of the Estrella Mountains. The placement
      of the lights by Fox was in greater agreement with actual measurement than
      the placement by Cognitech. This result is as at odds with the results
      calculated by Macabee that the lights were over 70 miles away.

      LOCATION AND TIME OF FLARES

      Dr. Macabee also states, "Captain Eileen Bienz, had determined that the
      flares had been dropped at 10 P.M. over the North Tac Range 30
      miles southwest of Phoenix at an unusually high altitude of 15,000 ft."
      Except for the stated distance, which should be more like 60 miles (and up
      to 100 miles away) this statement is consistent with the analysis presented
      here". Dr. Macabee has placed these lights in the vicinity of and just north
      of Ajo, Arizona by the bearings he gives which is not anywhere near the
      North Tac Range. The North Tac Range is somewhere on the north part of the
      range and west of Gila Bend, and may be 30 miles distant from the west
      limits of the city of Phoenix. (Note: A recent document sent to me by Brian
      Parks indicates that the A-10s were in the air and at the North Tac Range
      between 2155 and 2235 military time)

      The only times we have regarding the dropping of flares by the Maryland Air
      National Guard on Operation Snowbird comes from two sources. The first
      source was an unnamed Apache helicopter pilot who was flying in the vicinity
      of Picacho Peak about 80 miles south of Phoenix and had noted that his FLIR
      (Forward Looking InfraRed) detector picked up heat sources to the west. This
      was somewhere between 8:00 and 8:30 PM. He phoned this information in to a
      television station which recorded this information and broadcast it on the
      10 PM news. This pilot was with the Arizona Air National Guard. He felt he
      could explain the sightings that reportedly occurred at 8:30 PM that night.
      The second source is from Lieutenant Keith Shepherd, the PIO at
      Davis-Monthan AFB from where the A-10 pilots departed who stated that he
      re-checked the records for March 13th because he thought all aircraft were
      on the ground by 6:00 PM. When he looked at a "Visitor's Log", he said he
      discovered that a squadron of 8 A-10s from the Maryland ANG were flying out
      on the range on Operation Snowbird and had gone toward the Phoenix area, and
      had dropped their high-intensity LUU-2 flares (8 per plane) before returning
      to Davis-Monthan and landing at 8:30 PM! No other times have been officially
      mentioned, though it has been stated many times that they dropped flares
      between 9:45 and 10:20 PM on March 13th. There are obvious discrepancies in
      this story.

      TYPE AND COLOR OF FLARES

      Dr. Macabee does not adequately address the differences between the observed
      mystery lights and the type and color of flares used by the
      Maryland ANG. The flares allegedly dispensed by the A-10s is called LUU-2
      and is a high-intensity illumination flare that is housed in a pod or
      canister and is deployed by ejection. The mechanism has a timer on it that
      deploys the parachute and ignites the flare candle. The flare candle burns
      magnesium. Magnesium burns with an intense bright white light. This has been
      confirmed by a call to the flare manufacturer.

      The lights on March 13th had a brilliant liquid-gold hue of a very pure
      color. Viewing aircraft with white lights on them that are approaching from
      a low elevation through 60 to 70 miles of clear desert air at night still
      look white at that distance. Even planets rising over the horizon at night
      do not show a distinctly different color to the naked eye, much less through
      magnification. The mystery lights had no white color at all, nor tinged
      yellow or white as might appear through a layer of dust in the atmosphere.
      Through a telescope, witnesses saw a perfectly round circle of yellow-gold
      light without any glare around it. Flares are fires that flicker and change
      in brightness and shape. Flares can be viewed during exercises in military
      operating areas. There are yellow illumination flares that can be seen and
      bear a resemblance to the color of the mystery lights, but do not resemble
      them in form and do cast a glare into the surrounding air, however the
      Maryland ANG used the white
      flares according to their testimony and statements by the Air Force.

      OTHER SIGHTINGS AND VIDEOS OF ORBS

      Dr. Macabee does not mention eyewitness sightings of these amber orbs in
      other parts of Arizona, both during the March 13th events and on
      other nights. Witnesses reporting seeing the formation of lights in the
      videos both earlier in the evening toward the east in the Superstition
      Mountains and early the next morning in the vicinity of the Buckeye Hills.
      Witnesses have been seeing these same yellow orbs for years in the Rainbow
      Valley. They were also seen North of Glendale and other places far from
      military ranges. One time late in the day after the witnesses in Buckeye had
      seen these golden orbs at night, they spotted them during daylight hours and
      started videotaping 2 of them that appeared in the southern hills. The lower
      goes from a hovering position to a point higher in the sky as if shot by a
      gun. It moves once again to the left. Eyewitnesses have reported that orbs
      are only illuminated for short periods of time, 4 to 8 minutes and that some
      flares have burn times that agree with this duration, but flares do not
      usually shoot up into the air. Because the lights seen on the videos of
      March 13th do not make any manuevers, they are lit one after another for a
      duration that is consistent with flares. These same amber lights have
      appeared over many other locations in other states and countries and have
      been seen hovering, and sometimes moving.

      TOM KING'S VIDEO AND ANALYSIS

      Tom King and I were notified by a witness who lived in Awahtukee, south of
      Phoenix, and north of the Gila River Indian Reservation that he had been
      seeing 2 or 3 of these "orange" lights on March 10, 11, and 12th of 1997
      from his balcony where he has a view of the Estrella
      Mountains. The Estrella Range rises from foothills to peaks between 7 to 9
      miles southwest of his home. He had videotaped these lights. He
      and neighbors claimed they also saw lights to the southeast and northwest
      and not just southwest of his position. Our position was
      approximately 10 air miles distant from K's location to the North and R's
      location to the east. If the light on the right as identified by Dr. Macabee
      is 77 miles from K, then it was at least 67 miles from our position. If
      Montezuma's peak is about 2500 feet higher than our position (approximate)
      and the distance is 8 air miles, at our angle of viewing, the light on the
      right at 67 miles would be at an altitude of nearly 21,000 feet to be
      visible above the mountain crestline. This, of course, is higher than the
      alleged altitude of the flares.

      Since we had houses very close to the witnesses' balcony, we have some fixed
      ground lights and a house window light visible in Tom's footage.
      Taking the known separation of the ground lights, the distance from the
      ground light to the edge of the window as a baseline, together with the
      angle of the three lights that appear in one frame of the video, we can then
      do a pixel count, adjust for a magnification ratio and locate the position
      of the lights in a daytime photo of the same view.

      Using 3 frames, House frame 1a, House frame 5a, and Daylight House frame we
      take a pixel measurement of the separation of Ground lights 1
      and Ground light 2. We also take a pixel count of the diagonal spacing
      between GL#2 and the window light. The spacing between Ground
      Lights 1 and 2 is 8 to 9 pixels, the spacing to the window is 43 pixels and
      the spacing to the Right Light is 86 pixels while the spacing to the Left
      Light is 88 pixels. In the daylight photo, the degree of magnification makes
      the distance between Ground Light 1 and 2: 55 pixels. Using the figure 8/55
      yields a magnification ratio of 6.875. Using this figure, the Right Light is
      about 592 pixel spacings at an angle of nearly 30 degrees to the right and
      the Left Light is approximately 605 pixels at a slightly greater angle. At
      that angle the distance to the crestline of the mountains is about 689
      pixels, a difference of some 84 to 97 pixels, a significant amount. Even a
      measured error of more than 10% in pixel count would not account for this
      difference. The Tom King video like K's video shows the mystery lights to be
      lower than the Estrella crestline. Will further analysis of R's video and
      L's video show the same?

      Note: this report in full with pictures can be found on my website at his
      Also, my book-length manuscript on the Phoenix Lights will soon
      be published on the web. I will post a notice when it goes on sale.

      Bill Hamilton

      **coming to you live from deep in the backwoods of Mississippi**

      http://www.jilain.com
      http://www.dragoncrest.net
      ICQ #7524076

      ~~~Tell me not, in mournful numbers,