Fwd = Nick Pope's Column

    Message 1 of 54 , Jun 2, 2000
      Forwarded by: fwestra@...
      Original Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 22:44:41 +0200 (CEST)

      Nick Pope

      Welcome to June's column, where I'll be offering the usual mixture of
      news and gossip from the weird world of UFOs, aliens and the
      paranormal.

      Say Hello, Wave Goodbye

      I'm back from the Year 2000 UFO Abduction Conference in New York,
      which was organised by Budd Hopkins' Intruders Foundation and took
      place on 6 May. I won't say much about it for now, because I'm writing
      an exclusive report for the next edition of UFO Magazine. What I will
      say is this: in terms of data presented and quality of presentations,
      this was about the best conference I 've attended,and I've attended a
      lot, believe me. My full report will be in the July/August edition of
      UFO Magazine, which should hit the shops on 29 June. In the meantime,
      watch out for reports and feedback from the Intruders Foundation
      itself, at www.IntrudersFoundation.org. I'll soon be off on my travels
      again though, and this month I should be attending the 8th
      International Meeting on UFOs and Related Phenomena (being held in San
      Marino on 3-4 June) and the Second International UFO and New Age
      Symposium (being held in Istanbul on 23-25 June). It's funny, you wait
      ages for an invitation to speak at an overseas conference, then three
      come along at once!

      Missed Again

      We're still here. The world hasn't ended, despite the views of various
      seers who predicted that an unusual planetary alignment on 5 May would
      spell the end for life on Earth. I didn't run the story last month
      because there' s no point scaring people with such grim tales when the
      scientific community have patiently explained that the gravitational
      effects of the alignment would be negligible. Enough apocalyptic
      nonsense has been trotted out in recent years (in relation to stories
      about giant spacecraft arriving in the tail of Comet Hale-Bopp, and in
      relation to the prophesies of Nostradamus, for example) and I decided
      not to fuel this particular fire. For those interested in real threats
      to our existence about which something can be done, let me direct you
      to Spaceguard UK, a group set up to raise awareness about the threat
      posed by comets and asteroids, and to lobby for action. Details can be
      found at [1]www.ds.dial.pipex.com/spaceguard/.

      UFOs And The FBI

      One of the speakers at the New York conference was Bruce Maccabee, who
      very kindly gave me a copy of his new book, UFO-FBI Connection. I'm in
      the process of reading it now, and have to say that it's fascinating.
      The title will obviously appeal to fans of The X-Files, but in truth
      the book goes much wider than the involvement of the FBI, and brings
      in the CIA and,more comprehensively, the United States Air Force. The
      subtitle (The Secret History of the Government's Cover-Up) hints at
      this broader perspective. People who are familiar with Nicholas
      Redfern's intriguing book The FBI Files (Simon & Schuster UK Ltd,
      1998) will want to check out Bruce's book, and anyone interested in
      how the US Government and military have responded to the UFO
      phenomenon will not be disappointed. UFO-FBI Connection is published
      by Llewellyn Publications at $14.95. Check out [2]www.llewellyn.com
      for details of this and similar titles, or get hold of it via the
      usual Internet book sites.

      Egypt Again

      Oh no, not another book on the mysteries of Ancient Egypt? Oh yes!
      Still, I'm not too depressed, because this latest in a long line of
      books on this subject is by the prolific and eminently readable Herbie
      Brennan. Frankly, I really don't have the expertise to evaluate the
      data in books like this, but if Egypt is your thing, why not give it a
      try? It's certainly a wide-ranging book, and it's an easy read, with
      each chapter subdivided into shorter, titled sections. The Secret
      History of Ancient Egypt costs �16.99 and is published by Piatkus
      Books (further details at [3]www.piatkus.co.uk).

      The Darwin Awards

      Those of you who don't know about the Darwin Awards are missing a real
      treat. These hilarious - if rather sick - awards are given to those
      who remove themselves from the gene pool by managing to kill
      themselves, unintentionally, in the most bizarre and stupid fashion.
      The awards, naturally, are posthumous. Recent awards include the man
      who decided to play Russian Roulette not with a revolver but with a
      semi-automatic pistol. Consequently, the probability that the bullet
      would fire was � 100%. Check out [4]www.darwinawards.com for macabre
      laughs.

      Caught With Their Pants Down

      While we're on the subject of weird and wonderful websites, you might
      also like to check out [5]www.thesmokinggun.com, which details, how
      can I best put this, celebrity indiscretions. For legal reasons I'm
      not going to repeat any of these tales, but if you want confirmation
      that the rich and famous are just as fallible as anybody else, this
      site is worth a visit.

      And Finally

      Those of you who work in offices are doubtless familiar with posters
      carrying inspirational slogans, helpfully supplied by the personnel
      department. Fed up with soundbites? Want to hit back? I've seen a
      whole list of alternative suggestions recently, and here are my
      personal favourites:

      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

      Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker

      Indecision is the key to flexibility

      Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

      Aim low; reach your goals; avoid disappointment

      Rome didn't create a great empire by having meetings, they did it by
      killing all those who opposed them

      Nick Pope
      London June 2000

      Nick Pope's three books, Open Skies, Closed Minds, The Uninvited and
      Operation Thunder Child are available from all good bookshops. His UK
      publishers are Simon & Schuster. In America, The Overlook Press
      publish his books in hardback while Dell Publishing produce paperback
      editions.

      Message 54 of 54 , Jul 2, 2003
        Original Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:58:36 -0700

        Hot Gossip UK July 2003

        Welcome to the July 2003 round-up of news and views on UFOs, alien
        abductions, crop circles, the unexplained, the weird and the
        wonderful.

        A Roswell Requiem

        Volume 10, Number 1 of Skeptic magazine contains an interesting 14
        page article on the Roswell incident. The article is written by B. D.
        ìDukeî Gildenberg, a meteorologist who was involved with USAAF and
        USAF operations, including Project Mogul, that he believes were
        responsible for triggering the Roswell incident. He was also involved
        in work for Project Blue Book, and more recently he was involved as a
        witness and researcher for the 1997 Pentagon investigation into the
        incident, which culminated in the publication of The Roswell Report:
        Case Closed. The article is entitled A Roswell Requiem. Given this,
        and the magazine in which it is published, readers will not be
        surprised to learn that the author attributes the Roswell Incident to
        Project Mogul, compounded by the fallibility of human memory, and
        exaggeration and lies on the part of certain people. He blames
        authors, publishers and TV producers for fuelling a modern myth, and
        concludes that ufology should move on from what he regards as a
        totally discredited case. Those who have read the two USAF reports The
        Roswell Report: Fact vs. Fiction in the New Mexico Desert and The
        Roswell Report: Case Closed will not find much new in the article, but
        this is not to detract from what is an important and well-written
        summary of the sceptical case against Roswell. Gildenberg uses the
        testimony of Captain Cavitt against the claims of Major Jesse Marcel,
        and that of Professor Kimball against the claims of Glenn Dennis.
        Believers can legitimately argue that the memories of Cavitt, say, are
        no more or less reliable than those of Marcel. However, any suggestion
        that those witnesses or experts supporting the official view are part
        of the conspiracy, or have been got at, would be more tenuous. The
        article has a sarcastic tone in places, but setting that aside, it is
        an important piece of journalism that, whatever ones views on Roswell,
        deserves a wider audience in ufology than it will probably get. Click
        on [1]www.skeptic.com for details of the magazine.

        Crop Circle Advertising

        Images of crop circles have often been incorporated into
        advertisements, illustrating how they have become part of the popular
        culture. The same has happened with UFOs and aliens. A new
        advertisement for tourism in Wiltshire has now used a crop circle
        photograph to promote the area, which is an interesting example of
        local government officials using the imagery. The imagery appears in a
        magazine advertisement, but there are a couple of references to crop
        circles on the official local authority site at [2]www.kennet.gov.uk
        together with links to some crop circle websites.

        NASA Nuclear Mission

        In a controversial move, NASA have given the go ahead to a deep space
        mission powered by a miniature nuclear reactor. The move has upset
        environmentalists concerned at the safety implications, especially in
        the light of the tragic loss of the space shuttle Columbia earlier
        this year. An essential safety feature will mean that the reactor
        cannot be switched on until the spacecraft has gone well beyond the
        orbit of the Earth. Project Prometheus involves NASA funding Lockheed
        Martin to investigate the concepts needed to design a viable nuclear
        propulsion system. The first aim would be a mission to some of the
        moons of Jupiter such as Callisto, Europa and Ganymede, where
        primitive life may exist in oceans beneath the icy surfaces. The
        likely launch date will be 2011. In the longer term, this technology
        may be the first step towards the previously stated NASA aim of a star
        mission. For this to occur in a meaningful timescale, radical new
        propulsion systems will be needed, incorporating nuclear mission, or
        matter/antimatter annihilation.

        Open Skies Closed Minds in Romania

        I am pleased to announce that my first book Open Skies Closed Minds is
        to be published in Romania. Open Skies Closed Minds is an overview of
        the UFO phenomenon, focusing on my running the UK Government UFO
        research and investigation project, at the Ministry of Defence. My
        books are available in America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, and
        have previously been translated into various other languages,
        including German, Greek and Polish. On past form, English language UFO
        books being translated into other languages leads to greater liaison
        between researchers in different countries, and results in previously
        unreported cases being given greater prominence. My thanks go to the
        respected ufologist Ion Hobana for arranging this.

        Glastonbury Symposium 2003

        On 25, 26 and 27 July the Glastonbury Symposium 2003 takes place at
        The Town Hall, Glastonbury. Entitled Investigating Crop Circles and
        Signs of Our Times, the symposium features a host of well known names,
        including Maurice Cotterell, Ed Sherwood and Michael Glickman. The
        special Sunday night guest is Budd Hopkins. However, the focus will be
        on crop circles, and the event includes a coach tour of whatever
        formations are in the area at the time. The event is hosted by Andy
        Thomas and Karen Douglas, and details can be found at the
        [3]www.glastonburysymposium.co.uk website.

        The 2003 Crop Circle Convention

        If Glastonbury whets your appetite, then there is another three day
        crop circle conference on 8, 9 and 10 August, in the Cricklade Theatre
        in Andover, Hampshire. Invited speakers include Colin Andrews, Reg
        Presley, Philip Mantle, Lucy Pringle and Busty Taylor. I have no
        internet site details for this event, but further information can be
        obtained by telephoning 01392 677462 any evening. Bookings can be made
        by calling 01264 360063 during office hours.

        Ed's Note:

        Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an
        overview of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official
        Ministry of Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an
        overview of the alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and
        Operation Lightning Strike are science fiction novels about alien
        invasion, incorporating UFO and abduction data. All four titles are
        available from most good bookshops and all the usual Internet book
        sites.

        © Knight International 2003