Fwd = [amsat-bb] Intentional degradation of GPS signals stopped

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2000
      Forwarded by: fwestra@...
      Originally from: owner-AMSAT-BB-digest@... (AMSAT-BB-digest)
      Original Subject: AMSAT-BB-digest V2000 #142
      Original Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 00:00:18 -0700 (PDT)

      Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 16:18:38 +0000
      From: Dr Thomas A Clark <clark@...>
      Subject: [amsat-bb] GPS S/A To Be Turned Off

      The White House released this press release today -- S/A est morte !

      [available at http://www.whitehouse.gov/library/PressReleases.cgi%5d

      May 1, 2000

      STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT REGARDING THE UNITED STATES' DECISION
      TO STOP DEGRADING GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM ACCURACY

      THE WHITE HOUSE

      Office of the Press Secretary

      For Immediate Release May 1, 2000

      STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT REGARDING
      THE UNITED STATES' DECISION TO STOP DEGRADING
      GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM ACCURACY

      Today, I am pleased to announce that the United States will stop the
      intentional degradation of the Global Positioning System (GPS) signals
      available to the public beginning at midnight tonight. We call this
      degradation feature Selective Availability (SA). This will mean that
      civilian users of GPS will be able to pinpoint locations up to ten times
      more accurately than they do now. GPS is a dual-use, satellite-based
      system that provides accurate location and timing data to users worldwide.
      My March 1996 Presidential Decision Directive included in the goals for
      GPS to: "encourage acceptance and integration of GPS into peaceful civil,
      commercial and scientific applications worldwide; and to encourage private
      sector investment in and use of U.S. GPS technologies and services." To
      meet these goals, I committed the U.S. to discontinuing the use of SA by
      2006 with an annual assessment of its continued use beginning this year.

      The decision to discontinue SA is the latest measure in an on-going effort
      to make GPS more responsive to civil and commercial users worldwide. Last
      year, Vice President Gore announced our plans to modernize GPS by adding
      two new civilian signals to enhance the civil and commercial service.
      This initiative is on-track and the budget further advances modernization
      by incorporating some of the new features on up to 18 additional
      satellites that are already awaiting launch or are in production. We will
      continue to provide all of these capabilities to worldwide users free of
      charge.

      My decision to discontinue SA was based upon a recommendation by the
      Secretary of Defense in coordination with the Departments of State,
      Transportation, Commerce, the Director of Central Intelligence, and other
      Executive Branch Departments and Agencies. They realized that worldwide
      transportation safety, scientific, and commercial interests could best be
      served by discontinuation of SA. Along with our commitment to enhance GPS
      for peaceful applications, my administration is committed to preserving
      fully the military utility of GPS. The decision to discontinue SA is
      coupled with our continuing efforts to upgrade the military utility of our
      systems that use GPS, and is supported by threat assessments which
      conclude that setting SA to zero at this time would have minimal impact on
      national security. Additionally, we have demonstrated the capability to
      selectively deny GPS signals on a regional basis when our national
      security is threatened. This regional approach to denying navigation
      services is consistent with the 1996 plan to discontinue the degradation
      of civil and commercial GPS service globally through the SA technique.

      Originally developed by the Department of Defense as a military system,
      GPS has become a global utility. It benefits users around the world in
      many different applications, including air, road, marine, and rail
      navigation, telecommunications, emergency response, oil exploration,
      mining, and many more. Civilian users will realize a dramatic improvement
      in GPS accuracy with the discontinuation of SA. For example, emergency
      teams responding to a cry for help can now determine what side of the
      highway they must respond to, thereby saving precious minutes. This
      increase in accuracy will allow new GPS applications to emerge and
      continue to enhance the lives of people around the world.
      ----