Fwd = Estimated 2,147 space payloads in 2000-2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2000
      Forwarded by: fwestra@...
      Original Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 00:27:07 +0200

      Teal Mission Model counts 2,147 space payloads in 2000-2009

      [INLINE] The Teal Group estimates that there will be a total of
      2,147 payloads to be launch into Earth orbit during the next 10
      years, up slightly from last year's estimated total of 2,123
      payloads for 1999-2008.
      Using its Worldwide Mission Model: 2000-2009 released this week,
      Teal Group analysts have sorted the data by customer region;
      payload type, mass and orbit; prime contractor, and launch
      vehicle.
      "The first time we did our Model back in 1992, we counted 656
      proposed payloads for the 1993-2002 timeframe,'' said Marco
      Caceres, lead analyst for Teal Group's World Space Systems
      Briefing. "Now, eight years later we observe that the number of
      payloads has more than tripled.''
      According to the study more than 50% of the payloads are of US
      origin. Of those, roughly 75% belong to commercial ventures and
      25% to government agencies. Approximately 65% of the payloads are
      commercial communications satellites. For the payloads which have
      a designated mass, some 57% of them can be classified as small
      satellites or smaller, weighing between 1 kilogram and 1,000
      kilograms, while 60% of them are destined for low Earth orbit
      (LEO), the vast majority to altitudes of between 1,000 kilometres
      and 1,500 kilometres.
      The Model identifies more than 70 different prime contractors.
      According to the study, the top 20 primes account for 62% of the
      total payloads. The top five primes-Hughes Space and
      Communications, Space Systems/Loral, Alcatel Space Industries,
      Motorola Space and Systems Technology, and Orbital Sciences- alone
      account for 33%. The Model also identifies more than 30 launch
      vehicle programmes. Of the total payloads, only about 46% have a
      designated launcher. The top five launch vehicle programmes,
      Arianespace's Ariane, Boeing's Delta, International Launch
      Services' Proton, NASA's Space Shuttle, and Eurockot Launch
      Services' Rockot, account for 64% of the assigned payloads.
      "I think the best thing that can be said about the number 2,147 is
      that it is a reference point,'' says Caceres. "When people in the
      space industry want to know how many satellites will be built and
      launched during the next 10 years, they can at least say with some
      degree of comfort, 'Well, it's probably going to be more than
      1,000 and less than 5,000', although I must say that something
      drastic would have to occur within the industry for us to see
      anywhere near 5,000 payloads through 2009.''
      "The only factor that could create such a market would be an
      exponential drop in launch service costs, and we do not foresee
      this happening anytime soon, certainly not until reusable launch
      vehicle companies start to become serious players, concluded
      Caceres.
      Teal Group Corp. is an aerospace and defence consulting firm which
      provides market intelligence to government and industry. It is
      based in Fairfax, Virginia.
      REF XQQAS XQQEE XQQSE

      Copyright(c) 1996 - 2000 Defence Data Ltd. All rights reserved.