Is Rob McConnell the Toronto Radio Host Art Bell Speaks About?

  • Rob McConnell - Executive Producer
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2000
      HEARD EXCLUSIVELY ON

      A MEMBER OF THE AFFINITY RADIO GROUP

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
      Monday, April 3, 2000

      Dear Friends:

          I am still getting hundreds of emails and telephone calls pertaining to Art Bell. However, now I am also getting emails and calls wondering if I was the Toronto radio announcer who said, "I am Art Bell and I molest little children", the answer to which is, "NO". This past Saturday, I opened the phone lines asking my listening audience to help me identify the radio announcer in Toronto. In Art's own words, "Recently, a radio host in Toronto, Canada opened his morning show with the words..." Art Bell knows exactly at what station I am at, for the last time we spoke together was last June, when he called me here, and secondly, I am not a radio host in Toronto, nor do I have a morning show.

          I can assure you that a statement to the effect as made by the Toronto radio host would not be tolerated by Newstalk 610 CKTB or the Affinity Radio Group. We pride ourselves at being professionals, taking the job, responsibility and integrity of being Canadian broadcasters very seriously.

          The following is what I have posted on the Art Bell BBS:

      Rob McConnell - 04:37am Apr 3, 2000 MST (#217 of 217)
      Host & Executive Producer - The 'X' Zone Radio Show

      Greetings One and All. My name is Rob McConnell, the host of The 'X' Zone Radio Show at Newstalk 610 CKTB in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada, a member of the Affinity Radio Group. St. Catharines is about 1.5 hours away from Toronto and as a Canadian broadcaster and media, I was shocked to learn about the tasteless, unprofessional and derogatory statement that the Toronto morning radio host said. By the way, if the talk show host is the one that many of my listeners say it is, he's not originally from Canada. My show, like Arts, deals with the world of the paranormal and the science of parapsychology and I can tell you from personal experience that there is a great deal of work and personal sacrifice when doing a show that deals in fringe topics and fringe sciences. Art Bell is responsible for opening the doors for many broadcasters, including myself and for this I will always be grateful. Last night, Sunday, April 2, 2000 I opened up the lines for callers who wanted to give Art a personal message and we will be doing this again, this coming Saturday night, and then I will send the tape to Art. Yesterday, I spoke with another friend of mine, Jeff Rense of Sightings, and he too agrees that ,"it's a complex issue for Art and he certainly needs a break."

      My personal message to Art? "Thanks for making all this possible Art and my prayers are with you and your family." Art's Canadian Colleague - Rob McConnell - The 'X' Zone Radio Show - Newstalk 610 CKTB / The Affinity Radio Group "

          I hope that this release will clear up any misconceptions that are circulating in cyber-space.

      Thank-you.

      Rob McConnell
      Newstalk 610 CKTB
      Host & Executive Producer