McConnell's Reply To Replacement Speculation

  • Rob McConnell - Executive Producer
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2000

      St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada - Sunday, April 2, 2000

      : Despite hundreds of email from people throughout the NEWSTALK 610 CKTB listening area and from those people who listen to THE ‘X’ ZONE RADIO SHOW live on the internet and telephone calls to my office at NEWSTALK 610 , I have not been directly approached by any member of the Premiere Radio Network to consider replacing Art Bell who resigned this past Friday morning, April 1st., 2000.

      THE ‘X’ ZONE RADIO SHOW, now, in it’s 5th year is based from NEWSTALK 610 CKTB in St. Catharines, Ontario, a member of the Affinity Radio Group, Inc which is headquartered in Hamilton, Ontario.

      Art’s resignation was a surprise to me, as were the following statements, a direct quote from his Retirement Announcement:

      “No matter how hard I have tried to set the record straight, my torment and that of my family continues. Recently, a radio host in Toronto, Canada opened his morning show with the words "I am Art Bell and I molest little children". All of this sent me into a psychological tailspin. I felt I had been dealt a blow I might not recover from. Still I continued my nightly broadcasts as best I could.”

      Over the past months, Art has been having substitute hosts doing his internationally syndicated show with well over 400 affiliate stations, the reasons for which, until the past few days was unknown.

      Although THE ‘X’ ZONE RADIO SHOW is heard throughout the Province of Ontario, the northern tiers of the states of New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio, strictly from the broadcast facilities of NEWSTALK 610 CKTB, it has always been my goal to syndicate THE ‘X’ ZONE as well as “TALES FROM THE ’X’ ZONE”, 60 second feature vignettes across Canada, and into the United Kingdom and other English speaking countries around the world as part of The Affinity Radio Group. However, stepping into the shoes of Art Bell as a replacement, at this time will take serious consideration.

      I can be contacted at NEWSTALK 610 CKTB, (905) 984-6610 Ext. 113 or (905) 327-6665. For all other inquiries pertaining to THE 'X' ZONE RADIO SHOW, contact Jamie O’Brien, Assistant General Manager, (905) 984-6610 Ext 232 .