Fwd = Sea Launch sets sail for second commercial mission

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2000
      Forwarded by: fwestra@...
      Original Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 16:24:32 -0800

      Sea Launch sets sail for second commercial mission

      The Sea Launch Commander and the Odyssey Launch Platform departed
      the Sea Launch Home Port in Long Beach Harbour on February 27, for
      the Sea Launch Company's second commercial satellite launch,
      programmed for March 12.

      The 200-foot Zenit-3SL launch vehicle will lift a 6,050 lb. (2,750
      kg.) ICO F-1 mobile communications satellite, built by Hughes
      Space & Communications Company in El Segundo, Calif., into Middle
      Earth Orbit, about 6,400 miles (10,350 kilometres) from Earth.
      This spacecraft is to be the first in a series of global
      communications satellites for ICO Global Communications, a global
      mobile communications company based in London.

      The launch is scheduled precisely at 6:49 a.m. (Pacific Time), on
      March 12, from a launch site situated 1,400 miles south-east of
      Hawaii.
      "We are excited to send off our two vessels for this first mission
      of the year," said Bohdan Bejmuk, vice president and general
      manager of the Sea Launch Home Port. "We now look forward to our
      next launch in two weeks. We are delighted to be the first launch
      provider for the ICO system of global satellites."
      Sea Launch begins 2000 with a two-for-two launch success record,
      including a successful demonstration launch in March 1999, and an
      equally successful first commercial launch in October 1999. The
      "bull's eye" accuracy of these launches proved the reliability of
      the system, the performance of the rocket and the extraordinary
      teamwork of the international Sea Launch partnership.
      During the 11-day transit to the launch site, the Sea Launch
      expendable launch vehicle is positioned horizontally at the top of
      the self-propelled launch platform in an environmentally
      controlled hangar. Upon arrival at the launch site, located at the
      equator, 154 degrees West Longitude, the 20-story high launch
      platform will be ballasted to its launch depth and oriented to
      minimise wind and wave effects. A day before lift-off, the rocket
      will be rolled out of the hangar and automatically erected to a
      vertical position on the launch pad.
      Prior to the departure from Home Port, Sea Launch and Hughes
      personnel conducted an extensive series of tests and
      launch-readiness activities. These included encapsulation of the
      ICO F-1 satellite within the fairing, and transfer of the
      spacecraft from the payload processing facility to the Sea Launch
      Commander. Once on board the Commander, the team mated the payload
      unit with the three-stage rocket. With that accomplished, the
      integrated vehicle was then transferred to the Launch Platform for
      transit to the launch site.
      The Zenit-3SL rocket, configured to enhance reliability and meet
      the program's performance objectives, is currently capable of
      delivering 11,000 lbs. (5,250 kg) to geostationary transfer orbit.
      Sea Launch has 19 firm launches on its current manifest, including
      the ICO mission.
      REF XQQAS XQQEE XQQSE

      Copyright(c) 1996 - 2000 Defence Data Ltd. All rights reserved.