Fwd = [SeeSat] Two Unidentified Bright Dots

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2000
      Below sighting report forwarded with permission of the author.
      So far, I haven't seen a satisfactory explanation for this sighting on
      the SeeSat mailing list.

      Frits

      Forwarded by: fwestra@...
      Originally from: SeeSat-D-request@...
      Original Subject: SeeSat-D Digest V00 #88
      Original Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 01:04:59 -0800 (PST)

      Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 23:04:12 +0100
      From: Felix Berthelmann <felix.berthelmann@...-halle.de>
      To: SeeSat-L <SeeSat-L@...>
      Subject: Unidentified subject!

      Hello I'm Felix. I am a student of Biology in Halle (Germany) (N 51.4731�
      and E 11.9669�). I need your help.

      I've never watched satellites as a hobby, but recently I saw something and
      have no idea whom to ask what this might be. It was definitely not a normal
      satellite as one sees them a dozen times a night.

      It was on the 27th of February 2000, 29 minutes past midnight, in Halle.
      The sky was clear. We were five people (all have seen it) and I discovered
      2 bright dots travelling very fast from East towards the western horizon
      (right above us). The bright dots seemed larger than "normal" satellites.
      The distance between them was approximately 3 or 4 times their diameter.
      They flew on a parallel course. And the amazing thing about them was their
      speed. They were moving so fast that we saw them just for 6 or 7 seconds.
      Then they disappeared in the dust of the horizon. We have a lot of air
      traffic here, but I'm sure it was not a plane (there were no flashing
      lights and it was moving too fast). And it had no tail or anything else,
      so it was not a falling star.

      I have checked this site:
      http://www.heavens-above.com/allsats.asp?lat=51.500&lng=12.000&alt=0&loc=Hal
      le&TZ=CET&Date=36582.2291666667&Mag=4.5 and found no visible satellite
      passing by at that early time in the morning.
      So I had no other idea than to ask you. Was it a satellite we've seen and if
      yes - what type of satellite travels so fast? It would be very kind of you
      to help us with this question.

      Thanks a lot,

      felix berthelmann

      http://www2.satellite.eu.org/sat/seesat/seesatindex.html