Fwd = Mars Polar Lander Mission Status - February 4, 2000

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4 3:58 PM
      Forwarded by: fwestra@...
      Originally from: baalke@...
      Original Subject: Mars Polar Lander Mission Status - February 4, 2000
      Original Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 14:57:25 -0800 (PST)

      MEDIA RELATIONS OFFICE
      JET PROPULSION LABORATORY
      CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
      NATIONAL AERONAUTICS AND SPACE ADMINISTRATION
      PASADENA, CALIFORNIA 91109. TELEPHONE (818) 354-5011
      http://www.jpl.nasa.gov

      Mars Polar Lander Mission Status
      February 4, 2000

      Radio telescopes in The Netherlands, England and at Stanford
      University in California have begun listening for a possible
      signal from Mars Polar Lander today.

      The array of fourteen 25-meter (82-foot) antennas at
      Westerbork in The Netherlands as well as the 76-meter (about 250-
      foot) antenna at Jodrell Bank, near Manchester, England have
      three 30-minute listening opportunities today. The 45-meter (150-
      foot) antenna at Stanford University is also able to listen
      during these windows. An array located near Bologna, Italy is not
      being used today.

      Mission managers for Polar Lander say it will take each of
      the stations some time to review their data. "We want to make
      sure we have checked and double-checked these data before we can
      confirm whether or not there is a signal," said Richard Cook,
      project manager for Mars Polar Lander at NASA's Jet Propulsion
      Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif. "I don't think we'll know anything
      either way until sometime next week."

      Mars Polar Lander is managed by the Jet Propulsion
      Laboratory for NASA's Office of Space Science, Washington, D.C.
      Lockheed Martin Astronautics Inc., Denver, Colo., is the agency's
      industrial partner for development and operation of the
      spacecraft. JPL is a division of the California Institute of
      Technology in Pasadena.

      #####