Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Fwd = UFO ROUNDUP Volume 5, Number 4

Expand Messages
  • Frits Westra
    Forwarded by: fwestra@hetnet.nl Original Date: 27 Jan 2000========================== Forwarded message begins ======================UFO ROUNDUP
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2000
      Forwarded by: fwestra@...
      Original Date: 27 Jan 2000

      ========================== Forwarded message begins ======================

      Volume 5, Number 4
      January 27, 2000
      Editor: Joseph Trainor




      "Strange phenomena was reported yesterday
      (i.e. Tuesday, January 18, 2000) at the Puerto
      Belgrano naval base" in Argentina.
      "Corroborating accounts, such as the one
      from retired sailor Marcos Herminio Faini
      indicated the presence of a shiny object at an
      estimated altitude of 2,000 meters (6,600 feet)
      and simultaneously the presence of a powerful
      whirlind on the (ground) surface below."
      Puerto Belgrano is located on Argenitna's
      South Atlantic shore about 600 kilometers
      (360 miles) south of Buenos Aires, the national
      The weather station at Commandante Espora
      Air Base, operated by the Fuerzas Aereas de
      Argentina (Argentinian Air Force--J.T.). stated
      that atmospheric conditions at the time were
      not conducive to the formation of tornados.
      "Visibility was at 20 kilometers (12 miles) and
      barely noticeable winds with speeds ranging
      from 7 to 11 kilometers per hour."
      "'No anomalies were detected,' stated Capt.
      Ricardo Legron in a brief Navy communique,
      who considered that the object may have been
      a 'weather satellite' despite the fact that the
      authorities at Espora told the newspapers that
      such launches no longer take place."
      A "self-proclaimed skeptic of flying saucer
      tales, UFO sightings and such phenomena,"
      retired Jefe de Flota (Chief of the Fleet, a rank
      comparable to Chief Petty Officer in the U.S.
      Navy--J.T.) Faini was quoted as saying, "Look, I
      know people will call me a hoaxer. But I can tell
      you that after spending half my life at sea, I have
      seen something very special which I believe to be
      of scientific value."
      "Faini took a bus from the Micro Omnibus
      Punta Alta line about 12:45 p.m. from Mitre,"
      the newspaper La Nueva Provincia reported.
      "Seated in the second row, next to the window,
      he was startled by a whirlwind on the ground
      above the future Fleet Junior Officers School
      now being built."
      "'The whirlwind was concentric and wasn't
      moving. Completely out of the ordinary.' he
      "'When I visually tried to locate the column of
      dust, I noticed a glowing object stationary in the
      southeast. I showed it to the sergeant in charge
      of the (base) hospital's military command."
      "'It's a flying saucer,' he replied laconically, and
      the other passengers stared at it, as well. More
      curiosity seekers joined the group. The object
      showed some slight movement, always in the same
      Faini, 63, was born in Argentina's Entre Rios
      province and retired from the Navy in 1983. During
      his career, he served aboard the torpedo boats
      San Luis and Buenos Aires, the tugboat Ranquel,
      the icebreaker General San Martin, the frigate
      Libertad, the cruiser General Belgrano and the
      aircraft carrier 25 de Mayo. (See the Argenitnian
      newspaper La Nueva Provincia for January 19, 2000,
      "Testimony of a former sailor: Strange flying object
      startles observers at Puerto Belgrano; powerful
      whirlwind and brilliant sphere seen yesterday."
      Many thanks to Scott Corrales, author of
      Chupacabras and Other Mysteries for forwarding
      this newspaper article.)


      On Tuesday evening, January 18, 2000, residents
      of Acapulco, a popular resort and Pacific Ocean
      port in Mexico's state of Guerrero, "are saying that
      they saw an OVNI (Spanish acronym for UFO--J.T.),
      according to the testimonoies of the eyewitnesses"
      The witnesses described the OVNI as "kind of
      bright and ovulated," adding that "it was seen for
      seven minutes flying over the city with highly quick
      and strange movements."
      "The OVNI made circles in the night sky, leaving
      a flash of green and yellow light behind as a kind
      of trail."
      A spokesman for Aeropuerto Internacional de
      Acapulco stated that their radar operators "have seen
      nothing out of the ordinary" and "had no flights over
      the area at that time."
      Acapulco is located 427 kilometers (265 miles)
      west of Mexico City, the national capital. (Muchas
      gracias a Guillermo Alarcon para esta historia.)


      "A meteor exploded over the mountains of southern
      Yukon Territory," Canada, on Tuesday, January 18,
      2000 at 8:43 a.m., "shaking houses and providing
      residents of the remote region with a dazzling light
      show, the Geologic Survey of Canada said."
      "The meteor is believed to have exploded in the
      atmosphere midway between Carcross, Yukon
      Territory, Canada (population 190) and Skagway,
      Alaska, USA (population 692).
      Eyewitnesses "'described it as sheet-lightning
      like and they turned around and there was a large
      green object going through the sky,' said Garry
      Rogers of the Pacific Geosciences Center in
      Sidney, B.C." (British Columbia, Canada--J.T.)
      "Witnesses is Carcross said the explosion
      rattled windows and shook snow from roofs in
      the small village about 120 kilometers (90 miles)
      north of Juneau (Alaska, USA), according to Rogers."
      "No injuries or damage were reported...The
      explosion was detected by at least three of the
      agency's seismic monitoring stations in the
      The explosion was also detected by several
      USA Department of Defense (DOD) satellites.
      They detected the impact of a meteoroid near
      Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada. The
      object detonated at an altitude of 25 kilometers
      (15 miles) at 60.25 degrees North Latitude,
      134.65 degrees West Longitude. Optical
      (satellite) sensors detected the event at 8:43
      Whitehorse is 240 kilometers (150 miles)
      north of Skagway, which is about 125 miles
      (200 kilometers) northwest of Juneau, the
      state capital of Alaska. (Many thanks to
      Errol Bruce-Knapp and Bob Young for this
      news story.)


      On Saturday, January 8, 2000, Jean C.
      was driving alone in her car, "heading north on
      (Interstate Highway) I-95 around 9:30 p.m.
      from work in Brewer, Me. (population 9,021),
      a town four miles (7 kilometers) south of Bangor.
      "I spotted a yellowish-orange light in a
      stationary position about three miles beyond
      the Stillwater exit off to my right. It was near or
      around the vicinity of Stillwater Lumber. I
      spotted the light through the trees just before I
      got to the clearing. I was having trouble with my
      car, so I did not dare stop as I had a ways to go
      and was traveling alone." (Email Form Report)


      On Friday, January 21, 2000, at 11:15 p.m.,
      Lisa B. "left my friend's house and walked across
      the street to my house. I looked up at the sky to
      see the lunar eclipse. As I was looking away, I
      saw two moving lights (red or dusty rose in color--
      L.B.) I thought maybe it was two falling stars, but
      the size was too large and the color wasn't right.
      They were moving parallel to each other with the
      top one moving faster.. Then they looped and
      came close to each other, looped back out, and
      when they came closer together the second time,
      they disappeared."
      "My husband and friends decided that it had
      to be military-related," Lisa added, "Which I am
      believing for the sake of my sanity and peace of
      Virginia Beach (population 303,069) is located
      105 miles (168 kilometers) southeast of Richmond,
      the state capital. (Email Interview)
      (Editor's Note: Virginia Beach is also the world
      headquarters of the Association for Research and
      Enlightenment (A.R.E.), the non-profit foundation
      created by psychic Edgar Cayce.)


      On Friday, January 21, 2000, Alice C. was
      standing outdoors in Alliance, Texas, near Dallas
      and Fort Worth. "I was standing outside facing
      east just as the lunar eclipse was to begin when
      a Stealth-shaped object skimmed south to north,
      just above the treetops, following a creekbed to
      the east of my house."
      "The object stood out because it was moving,
      and it was darker than the dark itself. It appeared
      to be about the size of a flattened mid-sized car
      and had lights in the back."
      "I am hoping that someone else to the south or
      north saw it, before or after I did. We live just
      south of the Alliance airport, west of Dallas-Fort
      Worth so airplanes are a constant. So is the noise
      they make. But this (object) was totally silent."
      (Email Interview)


      On Wednesday, January 12, 2000, at 5:30 p.m.,
      hundreds of motorists on the Autostrada (Highway)
      A-1 on the outskirts of Rome, Italy's capital, were
      stunned to see a UFO in the sky overhead.
      "Hundreds of eyewitnesses traveling on the
      Autostrada A-1 from Nazzano Romano and Fiona
      Romano sighted 'a circular luminous object' and
      immediately afterward 'a cylinder of light positioned
      in the sky.' The motorists observed the phenomenon
      for several minutes."
      On Thursday, December 30, 1999, a family of
      tourists from Venezia (Venice) was vacationing in
      Italy's Aosta province when they spotted a UFO.
      The family was in Champoluc, a village in the Alps
      near the border with France. "A luminous sphere
      was seen in the sky over Champoluc by the family.
      The object was also seen and reported by the
      Carabineri (Italian national police--J.T.)." (See
      the Italian newspapers Il Messaggero for January 13
      and 14, 2000; Corriete di Rieti and Corriete di
      Viterbo for January 14, 2000. Grazie a Edoardo
      Russo, Sveva Stallone e Massimo Valloscuro di
      Centro Italiano di Studi Ufologici per questi


      On Tuesday, December 28, 1999, a UFO, which
      was described as "a rotating unidentified object,"
      appeared over the port of Noro on New Georgia
      Island in the South Pacific.
      "The object appeared quite light at first, though
      it looked like shiny glass in the sky. After some
      minutes, it passed through some clouds and then
      appeared to be 'a solid ship.' Weather conditions
      in Noro were "fine with some cloud."
      New Georgia is in the Solomon Islands and
      lies about 300 kilometers (180 miles) northwest
      of Honiara, the national capital, which is located
      on Guadalcanal Island. (See the Solomon Star
      for Thursday, January 6, 2000, page 1. Many
      thanks to Ross Dowe, director of Australia's
      National Space Centre for this news story.)
      (Editor's Note: New Georgia Island was the
      scene of heavy fighting in January 1943, at
      the height of World War II.)


      At the end of last month, UFO Roundup
      invited readers to share any premonitions they
      might have had about the New Millenium.
      Well, we got no takers. But your editor did
      have a couple of strange dreams during the
      month of January 2000. Both dreams featured
      Tackanash, an elderly Anishinabe man who
      has popped up in my dreams at odd intervals
      throughout my life.
      Unlike December's dream, this time there
      was no Cahokia, no Wyoming sun dance
      and, thankfully, no bombs in New York City.
      But one chilling sequence repeated itself--
      The first dream occurred on Monday,
      January 10, 2000. I dreamed it was a cold
      day with a light and bright overcast here in
      Duluth. It was cold, but there was no snow
      on the ground, a condition that suggests a
      day in November rather than March.
      Tackanash, dressed for powwow, and I
      walked into the red brick Walgreen's pharmacy
      at the corner of Superior Street and 13th
      Avenue East. I looked for the Chicago Tribune
      but that shelf was empty. It was a typical
      morning at the pharmacy--clerks ringing up purchases
      and shoppers wandering up and down the aisles.
      Stopping at the candy display, I turned to Tackanash
      and said, "Want some M & M's, Nimishoo?"
      (Anishinabe for Grandfather--J.T.)
      He crooked his index finger impatiently. "Come
      over here, Masinaigan. Hurry!"
      Curious, I joined him and peered out the glass-
      enclosed doorway. Lake Superior was clearly visible
      about a quarter-mile south of us. I saw a few whitecap
      waves out on the Big Lake.
      All of a sudden, a giant wave appeared in the
      southeast. Swiftly it blotted out my view of the
      Wisconsin shore and grew larger and larger.
      Impossibly large! Fifty or sixty feet, at least.
      To my horror, I realized that it was coming
      straight towards shore--straight towards us!
      Tackanash and I backpedaled away from the
      doorway. Seconds later, the wave struck. The
      brick building rocked on its foundations. People
      began screaming. Horrified, I glanced at the
      door. Roiling waters rose up the glass until it
      was completely submerged..
      The walls held! I thought, But the door is
      only reinforced glass--.
      Before I could finish the thought, the glass
      exploded under the incredible water pressure.
      A jet of lakewater six feet high cascaded into
      the pharmacy, knocking over displays, pushing
      tables aside, sweeping goods from the shelves.
      Grabbing Tackanash's shoulder, I shouted,
      "This way, Nimishoo!"
      I led him out the store's back entrance, into a
      small parking area. We plunged into eddying
      thigh-deep floodwaters. I let out a yell. That
      water was cold!
      Somehow I managed to clamber up over the
      stone retaining wall and, soaking wet, gave
      Tackanash a helping hand. Together we dashed
      across First Street into the woods beside the
      Dental Associates building, with the icy water
      lapping at our ankles.
      Tackanash grabbed my right arm and pulled
      me after him, making his way up and out of the
      creekbed. "No, boy, this way!"
      I frowned. "I have a name, Nimishoo."
      "Hush, Masinaigan. Save your breath for
      We weren't the only ones climbing. Two
      dozen panicky pedestrians were also running
      uphill. I glanced over my shoulder. Lakewater
      poured over First Street, drowning the front
      steps of the old brownstone houses. The
      Miller-Dwan Medical Center looked like an
      island sitting out in the middle of the lake.
      At last we reached Fourth Street. We began
      to shiver in our wet clothes. I stopped at the
      driveway of an 1890s home. A very anxious man
      was carrying a box full of canned goods to his
      waiting sport utility vehicle.
      "Excuse me," I said, briskly rubbing my
      damp arms. "Can we use your fireplace to dry
      our clothes?"
      "Do whatever you like," he replied, eyes
      wide with fear. "I'm getting the hell out of here!"
      And I woke up.
      The second dream occurred one week later,
      on January 17, 2000, and it was much shorter.
      I dreamed that Tackanash and I were standing
      on a stony outcrop with a panoramic view of Lake
      Superior. I looked around in puzzlement. I didn't
      recognize the spot, but it sure looked like North
      Shore boreal forest to me.
      Down below was an inlet surrounded on both
      sides by balsam and tamarack forest. Four boats
      were at anchor there, and everyone in the boats
      had a fishing pole. Again, the scene had a November
      feel with its overcast sky, a bit darker than the one in
      my previous dream.
      Blinking in confusion, I asked, "Where are we,
      "Rainbow Creek," he said.
      And then I heard a booming surf sound. Turning
      lakeward, I spied a big wave coming ashore. It was
      nowhere near as large as the ones in my previous
      dreams. This one was about 25 feet high. It
      smashed against the rocky shore and flooded
      the inlet, capsizing all four of the boats. All of the
      fishermen had life preservers, so they popped back
      to the surface. But they were carried upriver by the
      surge of lakewater, which flooded the woods on
      both sides.
      And I woke up.
      Tackanash's phrase stuck in my mind.
      Rainbow Creek. It didn't sound familiar. Just
      to make sure, I checked a map of northern
      Minnesota. Nope, no Rainbow Creek emptying
      into Lake Superior.
      However, I was sure that I'd been looking
      at Lake Superior's North Shore. After twenty
      years of vacationing up here and a year in
      residence, I know the shore. So I dug up a
      map of Canada's Ontario province at the Duluth
      Public Library. And whattaya know--there's
      Rainbow Creek, just east of Schreiber, Ontario,
      a Superior shore town I've never been to.
      It seems like an "impossible" event--a tsunami
      or tidal wave on Lake Superior. But now I'm
      wondering if it might actually happen. Perhaps
      a poweful earthquake, centered in either the eastern
      end of Michigan's Upper Peninsula or Ontario's
      "Algoma Country" between Wawa, Ont. and Sault
      Sainte Marie, Ont., might trigger such an event.
      That makes three times now I've dreamed of
      a Lake Superior tidal wave. If dreams really are
      prophetic, and it does happen someday, I have
      two predictions.
      (1) It will happen on an overcast morning
      in November.
      (2) About 300 miles of the lake's North
      Shore will be hit hard.

      from the UFO Files...

      1949: LET'S DO IT AGAIN--

      On Monday, January 17, 1949, the British
      South American Airways (BSSA) airliner
      Star Ariel revved up her four propellor engines
      on the runway in Hamilton, Bermuda, ready
      to take off for the rest of her flight to Santiago
      de Chile.
      Anyone who'd been in Hamilton a year earlier,
      on January 30, 1948, might be experiencing some
      deja vu. For it was on that night that Star Ariel's
      sister airliner, the Star Tiger, vanished while
      approaching Bermuda from the northeast. (For
      more on the Star Tiger, see UFO Roundup,
      volume 5, number 3.)
      Like the Star Tiger, the Star Ariel was an
      "Avro, Tudor IV, Post War pressurized cabin
      Luxury Airliner." The aircraft had the same
      four propellor engines and wings used by the
      RAF's Lancaster bomber in World War II. Her
      builder, A.V. Roe & Company, had redesigned
      the wartime Lancaster's fuselage, making it
      larger and more spacious.
      Unlike her sister airliner, the Star Ariel did
      not have a full complement of 33 passengers
      on board. The Star Ariel "was carrying only
      12 passengers and a crew of six," including
      Captain J.C. McPhee, First Officer F. Dauncey,
      Second Officer V. Shapley, Radio Operator
      G. Rettie, Steward K. Coleman and Stewardess
      J. Moxon.
      Promptly at 7:42 a.m. on January 17, 1949,
      the Star Ariel rolled down the Hamilton runway.
      Captain McPhee eased back on the yoke, and
      the Tudor began its climbout, starting her
      six-hour, 1,000-mile flight to Kingston, Jamaica.
      One hour into the flight, Captain McPhee
      picked up his microphone and said, "Hamilton
      Control, this is Star Ariel. I am switching radio
      frequencies to Kingston Control, over."
      "Roger, Star Ariel. We are handing off to
      Kingston. Have a nice flight. Over and out."
      The Star Ariel's estimated time of arrival
      in Jamaica was 1:42 p.m. The Tudor's fuel
      tanks had enough aviation gasoline to fly
      for ten hours. No more.
      Captain McPhee's routine call was the last
      anyioe ever heard from the Star Ariel. The
      propellor-engine airliner was never seen again.
      At 5:42 p.m., with Star Ariel's fuel tanks
      apparently dry, the U.S. Coast Guard declared
      the airliner to be "missing" and organized a
      comprehensive air-sea search to begin at
      dawn on January 18, 1949.
      "Meanwhile, just before dusk, a U.S. Army
      plane from Kindley Field, Bermuda made a sweep
      of the area of the Tudor's last reported position,
      without sighting anything."
      At 3 a.m., a U.S. Air Force B-29 bomber
      took off from MacDill Field in Florida, kicking off
      the search. Next, at 5 a.m., a USAF B-17 bomber
      lifted off the runway, heading for Bermuda.
      The U.S. Coast Guard sent rescue planes
      into the area from its bases in Massachusetts,
      New York, North Carolina and Florida. "By high
      noon, the Coast Guard announced that 72 search
      planes, many ships and approximately 13,000 men
      were actively engaged in the hunt for life."
      The U.S. Navy sent an entire task force to
      join the search. Included were the battleship
      USS Missouri, the aircraft carriers USS Leyte
      and USS Kearsarge and six destroyers.
      In Havana, President Carlos Prio Socarras
      announced that the Cuban Air Force would also
      join the hunt for the missing Star Ariel.
      Even if Captain McPhee had been forced to
      ditch the airliner in the ocean, the searchers were
      confident of finding survivors. "The Tudor IV had
      five emergency exits, carried three large dinghies,
      one fitted with a radio transmitter, and life belts
      were stowed under the passenger seats and in
      the crew's compartment."
      "As the days passed without finding a trace
      of the Star Ariel, the U.S. Air Force added 16 more
      planes," including "12 B-29s, two (PBY-2) Catalina
      flying boats, and two B-17s from the United States."
      A valiant effort, but it was all in vain. There
      was no sign of a downed airliner. Or the yellow
      inflatable dinghies. Or even a debris field..
      And then, during the early morning hours of
      January 20, 1949, nearly three days after the
      Star Ariel's engines had run dry, the pilot of a
      BSSA four-propellor-engine Constellation airliner
      "reported that he twice saw lights on the water,"
      at low altitude. "the (Connie) crew said the
      light was seen 300 miles (480 kilometers)
      southwest of Bermuda."
      The U.S. Air Force discounted their claim
      of seeing "mysterious lights" over that stretch
      of ocean and "added that search craft had been
      out flying wingtip to wingtip in the reported area,"
      both above and below the clouds, "but had not
      sighted anything."
      As with her sister, the Star Tiger, no trace of
      the Star Ariel was ever found. Intriguingly, she
      had gone missing exactly 13 days before the
      first anniversary of the Star Tiger's disappearance.
      On December 20, 1949, nearly a year later,
      the UK Ministry of Civil Aviation issued its final
      report on the strange case of the Star Ariel.
      Air Commodore Vernon Brown, Chief Inspector
      of Air Accidents, wrote, "Through lack of evidence
      due to no wreckage having been found, the cause
      of the accident to the Star Ariel is unknown."
      "The Star Ariel was lost almost exactly a year
      after a sister aircraft, the Star Tiger, had disappeared
      in much the same area and in equally mysterious
      Today, a half-century later, the disappearances
      of the Star Tiger and the Star Ariel almost exactly
      a year apart remain among the strangest events
      in the lore of UFOs. (See the book Limbo of the
      Lost by John Wallace Spencer, Bantam Books,
      New York, N.Y., 1973, pages 34 to 41.)

      We'll be back next week with more UFO and
      paranormal news from around the planet, brought
      to you by "the paper that goes home--UFO Roundup.
      See you then.

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2000 by Masinaigan
      Productions, all rights reserved. Readers may
      post news items from UFO Roundup on their
      websites or in newsgroups provided that they
      credit the newsletter and its editor by name and
      list the date of issue in which the item first

      IMPORTANT Please Read:

      The Hunger Site

      Every 3.6 seconds somebody starves to death. 3/4 of the
      deaths are children under 5. By visiting the Hunger Site
      and clicking on a button you can donate free food.

      There is absolutely no charge to you for the donation -
      the food is paid for by sponsors.

      Do this once a day (no more) and help make a difference!
      If you have a web site download a banner and give a link!

      E-Mail Reports to: Joseph Trainor <Masinaigan@...>
      or use the Sighting Report Form at:


      Website comments: John Hayes <webmaster@...>

      UFOINFO: http://ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives of the UK UFO Network Bulletin
      and AUFORN Australian UFO Reports and Experiences,
      UFO + PSI Magazine also available, plus archives of
      Filer's Files.

      ========================== Forwarded message ends ========================
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.