Re: What has happened to the capstone of the great pyramid?

  • mj.green
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 1999
      I just retrieved this from the wastebasket where I junked it - on
      reflection,
      I just have to respond to some of the wild statements made, apparently with
      all seriousness, in this piece :

      "The Millenium is close at hand"

      No for heaven's sake the Millenium is NOT close at hand ! It's more than a
      year away :

      A millenium is 1000 years (everybody with me so far ??).
      2 millenia are 2000 years (still with me ??).
      By simple mathematics, the end of the first millenium was the last day of
      the year 1000 (still hanging in there ?).
      The end of the second millenium is (this is the hard bit) the LAST DAY OF
      THE YEAR 2000.
      31st December 2000.
      Well, there's a surprise.

      What does it matter, anyway ? NOTHING untoward happened at the end of the
      "first" millenium, which is scarcely surprising, considering that it is,
      after all, only a number
      calculated from a date (for Christ's birth) fixed by a bunch of obscure
      Christian bishops 6 centuries later (what about the 4 million or so OTHER
      millenia since this planet was formed, by the way?). So why should any
      dramatic events be caused by the passage from the year 2000 to the year 2001
      ?

      Has it crossed any minds that the Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, ancient
      Egyptians, Aztecs, Mayas, Hindus, Native Americans and various other peoples
      who have or had different calenders would not/do not see what all the fuss
      is about ?They might also be surprised to find that a good proportion of the
      people who use the "christian" calender (including the Pope, Tony Blair,
      Bill Clinton, etc. etc.) apparently can't count.

      "There is more evidence coming to light all the time that Atlantis did
      indeed exist."

      NO there is not. There is NO serious evidence that Atlantis existed. The
      only
      ancient source is Plato, who claimed that the story came to him from a
      family manuscript relating information given to Solon by an Egyptian priest
      4 generations before Plato wrote Critias & Timeaus. That's a pretty shaky
      pedigree, and even Plato is quoted (by Strabo) as saying that the story
      "might not be an invention" (so he thought it probably WAS an invention ?).
      There is NO reference in Plato to the "Atlanteans" using "crystal power"
      that caused the island to "break up and sink". Plato's tale is incomplete -
      it merely says that Zeus decided to chastize the kings of "Atlantis" because
      they had become greedy, and their standards of justice had fallen.

      All other references to Atlantis are speculations or embroidery on Plato's
      original story.

      If Plato WAS recounting a genuine story taken from the Egyptian temple
      records,
      the most plausible explanation, for which there is ample evidence, is that
      the Egyptian story was a memory of the destruction of the Minoan
      civilisation of Crete and the neighbouring islands (which dominated the
      sea-based commerce in the Eastern Mediterranean at that time) by the tidal
      waves and volcanic ash from the catastrophic explosion of the island of
      Thera which took place as the culmination of an eruptive period beginning
      around 1500 BC.

      A few other points while I'm here :

      Pyramids are not machines - they are mausolea - there is no "mystery about
      why they were built and what they meant". The capstone from the great
      pyramid, along with all the other facing material, disappeared when it was
      re-used for other monuments in later centuries - which happens constantly to
      good building material all over the world. Originally, the "great pyramid"
      was smaller than that of Kheops, which was 9.5 metres higher but has lost
      more material (150000 cubic metres) to the buildings of Cairo.

      "What was the purpose of the capstone ?" - Is this a SERIOUS question ???!

      "A laser is a crystal" - yes - but it can also be gas, or a liquid, but I
      doubt that anyone has yet generated a laser beam from a limestone capstone !
      If any of you guys know how to do it, my advice is, take out a patent on it
      right now. And where did the Egyptians get the power source to create it
      anyway ?? (Oh, sorry - I forgot : solar beams of course ...).

      "It should be noted that Planet Mars will be 33.33 degrees below the horizon
      from the perspective of Cairo on January 1, 2000 at 12:19 AM."

      Yes - and the moon will be 23� below the horizon, while Saturn and Jupiter
      will be about 27� and 13� respectively above the western horizon. So what
      ??!!

      Now WHY are postings like that one (and several others like it that I
      received today) appearing in this NG ? What has this even remotely to do
      with the subject matter of the UFONET NG ?

      Why do we have to receive so much of this in our mailboxes every day ?

      Despairingly

      Michael J. Green