Intelligent Signals From Space - SETI Correction

  • Jeroen Kumeling
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 1999
      ----
      SIGHTINGS
      ----

      Intelligent Signals From Space - SETI Correction
      From George Filer <Majorstar@...>
      12-7-99

      Apparently you can't believe every thing you read. Kevin Dalley of SETI
      Institute wrote to inform me that I had put out erroneous information
      concerning a signal from space. This was somewhat of a shock because, I read
      the story in the Home News Tribune (Central New Jersey's Voice since
      1879).or at least the copy of it provided to me in Pat Marcatillio's UFO
      Meeting at the Hamilton Square Library on December 1, 1999. I even heard
      rumors of some kind of contact.

      The next day I put out the story, but several readers asked for
      confirmation. I went to the Home New Tribune website at www.injersey.com/hnt
      November 29, 1999, to find out if the story was true. The entire story is
      carried on their website, but is quite a bit longer than the story carried
      in the newspaper. They apparently cut the last part of the story to fit it
      in the newspaper. It is the truth as far as it goes. Apparently, what
      initially had been a strong signal faded. Unfortunately so does the story.

      Here's the latest UPDATE ON THE FRONT PAGE STORY that included a nice photo
      of ET from the movie. The news paper article cuts off the full Gannett news
      release giving the impression that this is a strong signal coming from a
      small star HD119850. Apparently, some contact was made for a short while,
      but it hasn't continued and this is the key. I guess I too got caught up in
      hoping there was real contact.

      My newpaper article copy ends at the bottom of A-2 with: "And in a universe
      of 50 billion galaxies, each made up of a half trillion stars, the chances
      of striking ET gold are radically remote." Apparently the editor cut the
      story here.

      The entire Home News Tribune website article is carried below and goes on to
      say what was thought to be a strong signal from space faded away.
      Unfortunately the article ending on the bottom of Page A2, in the newspaper
      infers that we are getting a strong signal.

      --

      Was It A Blip Or A Beacon From The Cosmos?

      By Todd Halvorson Gannett News Service Published in the Home News Tribune
      11/29/99 Second of three parts 11-29-99

      ARECIBO, Puerto Rico - Call it a close encounter with what promises to be
      the most important scientific discovery of all time.

      GANNETT NEWS SERVICE photo

      With galaxies such as the Milky Way strewn with Earthlike planets, the
      chances of hearing from someone like E.T. -- shown here in a still from the
      1982 film -- may not be too bad.

      Midway through the midnight shift at the world's largest radio telescope,
      astronomer Jill Tarter picked up what appeared to be a signal coming from a
      small star named HD119850.

      There was no mistake. The beacon came in loud and clear at 1535-MHz on the
      telescope's radio dial.

      Yet it matched nothing in the computer's database of known terrestrial
      noise: cellular telephones, pagers, radars and satellites that often
      masquerade as broadcasts from alien beings.

      What's more, a backup telescope in England was hearing the same beacon -- a
      clear sign the signal was not salsa music from a San Juan radio station
      bouncing back off the atmosphere.

      Tarter, the real-life inspiration for the character played by actress Jodie
      Foster in the movie "Contact," took immediate notice and a long drink from
      an oversized coffee mug.

      Snapping to attention in her wheeled office chair, she rolled over to a
      computer and tapped at its keyboard. Then her voice, almost giddy, rose in
      pitch.

      "You may be here for something important," she said.

      As the 21st century approaches, pioneering researchers are uncovering signs
      that suggest primitive life may be abundant in the universe. But Tarter and
      her colleagues are after much bigger game: proof that intelligent life
      exists elsewhere in the cosmos.

      Tarter, 55, is chief scientist with the SETI Institute of Mountain View,
      Calif., a nonprofit, privately financed group that carries out a Search for
      Extraterrestrial Intelligence.

      Scientific vagabonds, the institute's two dozen astronomers and computer
      engineers have no permanent home base other than some suburban office suites
      near San Francisco. Their meager budget goes to buying telescope time at
      Arecibo Observatory.

      Located high atop a mountain, the heart of the observatory is a massive
      aluminum dish that covers 20 acres. Radio signals bounce off the dish and
      into a 900-ton instrument carrier suspended by steel cables above it.

      The equipment works like a giant ear, enabling SETI scientists to listen for
      radio signals from faraway stars. The premise is that those stars could
      harbor the planetary homes of intelligent civilizations.

      The signal that got Tarter's attention came from a star 106 trillion miles
      away from the Arecibo control room, a bland computer lab with off-white
      walls and worn linoleum floors.

      All the "listening" is done by computers that scan 28 million radio channels
      in search of unmistakable, repetitive artificial signals from other solar
      systems.

      The problem is distinguishing what could be an alien call from the growing
      cacophony of terrestrial noise. An increasing gaggle of satellites above
      Earth swamp the airwaves with signals for cell phone conversations and TV
      programs. Radio stations broadcast constantly, and military and civilian
      radars scan the skies for enemy intruders and commercial airliners.

      Here's how it's done: Should a promising signal pop up, SETI computers first
      compare the beacon to a catalog of known local noise. Any signal that
      matches is discarded automatically. But if the beacon is unfamiliar, a
      second radio telescope at Jodrell Bank near Manchester, England, swings into
      action.

      If Manchester radio telescope doesn't detect the suspect signal, then the
      beacon isn't coming from a distant star: It's local Puerto Rican noise that
      hasn't been catalogued.

      But if the signal is strong enough to be picked up thousands of miles away
      in England, too, then the beacon is put to another test.

      An alien signal truly coming from a distant star would arrive in the United
      Kingdom at a slightly different frequency than it would in Puerto Rico. It
      also would drift just a bit on the radio dial.

      That's because Earth is rotating, and the telescopes in Puerto Rico and
      England are widely separated.

      Those subtle differences are predictable enough to be calculated with great
      precision, providing a mathematical way to make certain that Earthly jabber
      isn't mistaken for a message from afar.

      The suspicious beacon that startled Tarter passed the first two alien signal
      tests. On cue, the huge Arecibo telescope automatically began to swing a few
      degrees, pointing not at HD119850 but at blank sky, in yet another test.

      A true signal from ET would disappear, a result of the telescope being aimed
      away from the target star. But if it persisted, then it couldn't be coming
      from the far-off star because the telescope no longer was pointed at it. It
      would have to be local interference.

      This time, it vanished.

      And when the British telescope nodded away from the target, the beacon
      disappeared there, too. Maybe, just maybe, Tarter was on to a most
      astounding discovery.

      But as the telescope ground its gears, the pragmatic Tarter immediately
      started to discount the possibility of making contact.

      After all, the star is only one of 1,000 being scrutinized by SETI
      scientists. And in a universe of 50 billion galaxies, each made up of a
      half-trillion stars, the chances of striking ET gold are radically remote.

      NEWSPAPER ARTICLE ENDS HERE ON-LINE CONTINUES

      In fact, the prospects for success are so slim that people often wonder why
      serious astronomers would devote entire careers to such a pursuit.

      "Some people would say it's nutty to toil your whole life and never see the
      results, and that's a distinct possibility here," admitted SETI scientist
      Seth Shostak, 56. But "think of the enormous payoff. I mean, this is the
      purest longshot horse in science today. But if we succeed, it's really big.
      So you accept the low odds."

      Tarter, too, knows the needle-in-the-haystack nature of the search, and as
      the Arecibo telescope locked back on to HD119850, she stared intensely at
      the 19-inch computer screen before her.

      But SETI computers decided the signal had not been the real thing. That was
      it. The show was over.

      Outside, the grinding of telescope gears meant the computers were moving on
      to the next star on a preprogrammed target list.

      Tarter slumped back in her chair, a bit deflated.

      What initially had been a strong signal, she said, had faded. If aliens were
      phoning, the volume on the telephone here on Earth wasn't high enough to
      hear the second ring.

      "Maybe that was E.T. shouting once and never again," she said.

      � copyright 1999 Gannett News Service

      November 29, 1999

      Go Back

      Copyright �1997-1999 IN Jersey. Use of this site signifies your agreement to
      the Terms of Service (updated 2/25/98). Site design by IN Jersey.

      --

      The SETI Institute's sent this message to correct the information.

      Subj: NEW INTELLIGENT SIGNALS FROM SPACE Date: 12/5/99 8:23:33 PM Eastern
      Standard Time From: kevin@... (Kevin Dalley) Reply-to: kevin@...
      (Kevin Dalley) To: Majorstar@...

      Unfortunately, you have incorrect information on your web site
      (http://ufoinfo.com/filer/1999/ff_9948.html) about the discovery of an
      extraterrestrial signal.

      The SETI Institute did not find an intelligent signal. We did look at
      HD119850 during this observing run. Other than that, many parts of this
      report are accurate.

      The SETI Institute did observe HD119850 from Arecibo, on March 20, 21, 22,
      23, 26, and April 4. There were a 4 times where we looked for a signal away
      from the target star, followed by an on target observation. The signals were
      not confirmed in the on target followups.

      At Arecibo and Jodrell Bank, there is a significant amount of interference
      and it is common to have off source and on source confirmations. While a
      real signal would go through the same process, these off source and on
      source confirmations are not really unusual enough to be considered
      exciting.

      We also observed HD119850 from Green Bank's 140 foot antenna, with Woodbury
      as a backup. These observations were made during June, 1997, and January and
      March, 1998. Nothing was observed during these observations either.

      Jill Tarter's title is actually Director, SETI Research. I believe that her
      age is incorrect as well.

      HD119805 is an M class star, so the fake article is correct that it is a
      small star.

      Note that the purported news story does not state the report as fact, but
      claims that Gannett News Service reported the signal. I have been unable to
      locate an initial report from Gannett. I doubt that there is such a report.

      By the way, if the SETI Institute had discovered a signal, our bottle of
      champagne would be consumed. The unopened bottle is further evidence that
      the report of the signal is a hoax.

      When we find a signal, it will be announced as soon as we have confirmed it.
      Judging from past experience with false alarms, the press will probably know
      about the signal within 24 hours of our discovery, whether or not we have
      confirmed the signal. Secrecy is impossible in this business.

      Kevin Dalley SETI Institute kevin@...

      --

      I guess you can't believe everything you read. I apologize if there was any
      inconvenience caused by my article. Next time I'm checking with SETI before

      Regards,

      George Filer

      SIGHTINGS HOMEPAGE

      This Site Served by TheHostPros