Firmage Still Searching For UFO Answers

  • Jeroen Kumeling
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 1999
      ----
      SIGHTINGS
      ----

      Firmage Still Searching For UFO Answers

      http://www.thewordistruth.org/
      http://www.space.com/area51/firmage_990930.html
      9-30-99

      Since shaking off the burden of being a Silicon Valley CEO, Joe Firmage has
      been spending his time asking the eternal questions. However, if his recent
      remarks to a crowd of UFO researchers are any indication, he's only received
      enough answers about those persistent lights in the sky to deepen the
      mystery.

      Firmage, 29, appeared deeply relaxed Saturday as he led the 1999 National
      UFO Conference on an hour-long amble through humanity's origins and utopian
      potential. Clearly, leaving $1.6 billion Internet consultant firm USWeb in
      January to promote his gospel of "the truth" has been good for him.

      Unfortunately, soon after a promising down-home start ("you can call me the
      Fox Mulder of Silicon Valley if you like, as long as it brings a few more
      hits to my website"), his comments soon lurched into the rarefied
      middle-distance of epistemological jargon like "intermediate paradigm" and
      "matrix of ontology," leaving the UFO faithful eager to understand, but at a
      disadvantage.

      Back to the circle's center

      As part of his ongoing attempt to put UFO phenomena and coming technological
      developments into a broad historical and cultural context, Firmage began his
      PowerPoint digital presentation with a tour of the "history of homo
      sapiens."

      Although his precise diction and spiraling, oracular cadences managed to
      round out his comments here, the meat of the message was neither complicated
      nor novel -- basically, the truth is the marriage of science and religion,
      and any true understanding must fall somewhere between the two methods for
      explaining the world.

      After saying he believes in evolutionary principles -- a dangerous enough
      topic in a room dotted with people whose fundamentalist relatives harp on
      the notion that "all abductees have meddled in the occult" -- he noted that
      evolution is incomplete in itself.

      "Something is missing from purely random selection," he said, quoting
      boyhood hero Carl Sagan's "you are star-stuff" to justify his conviction
      that, while "science has informed knowledge of our ultimate creator," human
      life is also a product of "spirituality."

      He then launched into a sketch of how these forces -- largely dominated by
      the rising power of scientific thought -- had shaped the 20th Century and
      especially the "cusp" or "brink of destruction" on which the century now
      teeters. After taming the electromagnetic spectrum, exploring the moon and
      embodying the "mind of humanity" as the internet, he said, spirituality, or
      "the power of consciousness" bound by ethics, is waiting to re-enchant the
      world.

      "It looks increasingly like science fiction is soon to be fact," he said.
      "Art predicts the future."

      So what are the UFOs?

      While noble enough in itself, this dream of fusing religion and science,
      meaning and data, told the audience little about the truth behind those
      lights in the sky.

      Firmage himself seemed, if not uncertain, then unwilling to share much
      concrete detail on this matter beyond the fact that he believes that UFO
      phenomena do in fact exist and have been with us for millennia, and that
      they have been debunked and ignored in recent times largely due to the
      efforts of the scientific establishment.

      Otherwise, the entities apparently remain as "mysterious and discrete" to
      Firmage as they do to any investigator less sanctified by newspaper
      headlines. Significantly, he characterized UFOs only as phenomena that
      "maintain their distance" and may or may not follow "multiple agendas."

      When he asked whether the chaotic body of UFO literature can be interpreted
      as "an integrated saga," no answer was forthcoming.

      Graduation requirements

      Instead, Firmage seemed content to point to the conditions under which the
      answer will appear, as though he hoped, like John the Baptist, that the
      crowd would choose not to follow him, but one to come after him.

      Since UFOs represent "an intermediate paradigm in the ontological debate
      between science and religion" -- along with near-death experiences -- he
      promised that only a unified scientific/religious mindset could ever solve
      the UFO riddle in its entirety.

      Once that union occurs, he said, the field of UFOs and other "anomalous"
      experiences will be eligible for re-admission into the
      scientifically-sanctioned universe of explainable, predictable "reality."

      Firmage did not explicitly refer to this decoding of the UFO mystery as one
      of humanity's "graduation requirements" that, once met, will allow our
      species to travel the universe on our own with, as he put it, a spacecraft
      in every back yard.

      Still, in his opinion, the integration of spirituality with 21st-Century
      science is likely to be one of those requirements and, as such, the
      understanding of UFOs would necessarily be a pleasant side benefit.

      In a last nod to Carl Sagan, Firmage wondered whether the UFOs may be not
      only a symptom of the flaws in our understanding -- the
      as-yet-unidentifiable "anomalies" in our otherwise orderly universe -- but
      also the force prodding us to repair our errors.

      "Can we rule out the concept of extraterrestrial evangelism?" he asked the
      crowd, again without answering his own question (originally Sagan's).

      What the crowd gave back was mostly applause punctuated with bewildered
      silence. They'd come to hear Firmage's truth because they were tired of
      their own questions going unanswered, and they had hoped to get some answers
      out of the man in the newspapers.

      The Word Is Truth

      Comment

      On the Message of Joe Firmage

      By Alfred Lehmberg <Lehmberg@...
      http://www.fortunecity.com/roswell/arecibo/46/
      10-28-99

      Take someone like this Firmage, an ordinary Joe, but plainly individual, and
      drives a Chevy, don't you know. He owns a home and won't have three,
      apparent that he's off his knees. Looking up to see a star, he's asking
      where the space folk are! He's not fooled by strained ambivalence -- twitchy
      phactual insignificance; he's a spirit of true science -- balanced systems,
      more reliance. He's aware what's watched is changed! He seems calm and
      non-deranged. His interest is not based on profit, (perhaps a little like a
      prophet?) he seems oddly genuine for what it's worth -- a man of men! It's
      hard to hate a message, clear, that I myself have written here. UFO's are
      all mixed up with attitudes, and greener thoughts. Present mores are
      complacent, Earth destroying, cloying -- nascent. We are, PLEASE (!), the
      Earth's disease, and still we scrape our callused knees!

      This is what he talks about -- that there is more within, without . . . than
      dreamt of in a current system locked in dogma's stopped up cistern. Perhaps
      perceived as planet killers, raising rashes, burns, and blisters everywhere
      we settle down -- we're pus and mucous spread around. We've small respect
      for one another, crossing borders, lines, and brothers. We have no respect
      for life surviving us through strike and blight! We are what we make at
      last, and that's the air you suck and gasp -- begging for that second chance
      that you let go for cash advance. Slash and burn in ignorance. Practice your
      belligerence. Blow up nukes like fire crackers; act like selfish, stupid
      slackers.

      Firmage wants to touch the stars, and somehow, nobly, make them ours. He
      would tell us what he's seen, and make it seem like MORE than dreams. Our
      destiny is in our face? We'll live with others out in space? We'll take our
      place, and earn our spot, we'll work so they won't have to drop some bolus
      from an angry sky to wipe us out -- insure we die. Yes -- tell me how we're
      NOT disease to bring our planet to its knees with poisons that we throw
      around for *greener lawns* that aren't so sound. Firmage has a bigger gun,
      he's got the juice -- he thinks it's fun! He has (in fact), straight up,
      admitted that his joy is not attrited in his struggle for the truth --
      though *heavens* fall, and *hell* breaks loose! GIVING IN TO RIGHTEOUS
      CHANGE IS STEPPING UP OUR SCOPE AND RANGE! It puts us in the asteroid belt,
      secures a future Firmage felt. Hell is vanquished soon enough if YOU get off
      your flaccid duff, and make the *search* important business, investigate
      this *stuff* -- sans glibness.

      Something crazy's going down -- written records are profound. History is
      _pregnant_ with it. Crowds of people SEE them -- Jesus! Firmage wants the
      honest look, SCIENCE used, and by the book -- but using an imagination,
      taught by ALL the data's lessons. Look for better plans, designs -- newer
      models, paradigms. Asking ALL the tougher questions, tolerant of new
      suggestions (empty prisons building schools before we fail, and play the
      fool?). In-depth study shows the curse that disrespect has made much worse.
      Firmage has the guts to question CUSTOM and its infestation. Tradition is a
      suspect tool; abusing, and it's learned in school. Morality from
      corporations (?), ethics from religious *blessing* (?), dancing to
      convenient tunes where few MAY win -- but most will lose is NOT what we can
      really do. We ARE much more than THAT. It's true!

      ____

      Aren't we? My reach exceeds my grasp, and that's what heaven's FOR! I'd be
      damned, but for that kingdom that IS at hand! Your god's speed, Mr. Firmage.

      _____

      Visit a Virtual Art Gallery in Cyberspace!
      Ponder the Wit & Wisdom of Ching Chow!
      View "Unstill Life" -- Animation . . . and more.
      Consider Matter, Mind & Movement.
      See the current HTML "Apology to MW" with illustration.
      Take a ride in the Teleporter and check the inexplicable.
      EXPLORE Alfred Lehmberg's Alien View" at his Fortunecity URL.
      http://www.fortunecity.com/roswell/arecibo/46/
      **<Updated 23 October**
      http://www.fortunecity.com/roswell/witches/237/lehmberg.html

      JOHN FORD RESTORATION FUND -- Send your checks and
      money orders to _me_, Alfred Lehmberg
      (cut out the lawyers, they got theirs) at:
      304 Melbourne Drive, Enterprise AL, 36330. Strict records kept.
      $350.00 pledged -- $200.00 collected!

      "I cleave the heavens, and soar to the infinite. What others see from
      afar, I leave far behind me." - Giordano Bruno, burned at the
      fundamentalist's stake.

      SIGHTINGS HOMEPAGE
      Jeroen Kumeling
      Paul Krugerstraat 6
      7551 GX Hengelo (ov)
      +31 (0)74-24 25 514
      email: ufonet@...

      UFO-Werkgroep Nederland
      Postbus 2191
      7500 CD Enschede
      tel: +31 (0)53 4310412
      email: ufowerkgroepNL@...

      Bezoek ook eens de internetsite van UFONET:
      http://www.xs4all.nl/~ufonet of
      http://ufonet.iwarp.com