Nick Pope's Column

      Hot Gossip UK October'99

      Welcome to the October column, bringing you the latest news and views
      about UFOs, alien abduction and other weird stuff.

      Operation Thunder Child

      My new book, Operation Thunder Child, is out this month. The official
      publication date is 4th October, but copies should have found their
      way into the shops towards the end of September. Operation Thunder
      Child is a science fiction novel set in the near future, and deals
      with the concept of an escalating and hostile alien presence. What
      I've tried to do is to tell the story in as realistic way as possible,
      drawing on my official knowledge and experience of working at the
      Ministry of Defence. Accordingly, I use knowledge about UFOs and
      abductions picked up during my three years researching and
      investigating these phenomena, and also utilise information picked up
      while working in the Air Force Operations Room (part of the Joint
      Operations Centre) during the Gulf War. I've really tried to write as
      accurate an account as possible, giving people an insight into the way
      in which the government and the military would really respond to
      hostile alien contact. What I've tried to do is give readers a seat at
      the Top Table in the MOD, and show people how decisions are made in
      times of national crisis (although the book deals with alien contact,
      details about crisis management would apply equally to any normal
      conflict). Authenticity was a paramount concern: I discuss Rules of
      Engagement, weapons systems, operational doctrine and tactics and
      other real-life details. I also explore the way in which this
      situation would be reported to parliament and dealt with in the media.
      That said, some details have been changed to ensure that no classified
      information is included - this is the first time in publishing history
      that a science fiction novel has needed to be officially cleared by
      the Government! Another interesting fact concerns the disclaimer. Most
      novels have to contain a statement that all the characters and events
      are entirely fictitious. But my book draws on real UFO incidents from
      the Government's files, and reflects other things that have actually
      happened. For legal reasons, therefore, my book had to contain a
      specially worded disclaimer that points this out. Unsurprisingly, the
      book is already proving to be controversial, and there is as much - if
      not more - bad feeling about this book in certain quarters as there
      was about either of my two non-fiction books. I should be making
      various media appearances in late September/early October, so look out
      for me, talking about this new book. Operation Thunder Child is
      published by Simon & Schuster as a large format paperback, and costs
      #39.99.

      New Abduction Book

      Another new book has been published about the alien abduction mystery.
      The Complete Book of Aliens and Abductions is the latest offering from
      Jenny Randles, and is a brave attempt to give an overview of the whole
      alien abduction/alien contact mystery. It covers a lot of ground,
      looking at links between abductions and folklore and examining the
      possibility that cultural factors (e.g. science fiction films and
      television series) may have an influence on the phenomenon. Lots of
      potential explanations are offered, and there are plenty of case
      studies - some well-known and some less so. This is a welcome addition
      to the number of books devoted more to abductions than UFOs, and is a
      well-written and comprehensive overview of this intriguing mystery.
      The book is published by Piatkus, and costs =A317.99.

      New Magazine

      After the demise of Sightings, Alien Encounters, Uri Geller's
      Encounters and UFO Reality, it seemed as if magazines on UFOs and the
      paranormal were dropping like flies. Now a new title has appeared.
      Beyond is a monthly magazine which hit the news-stands in September,
      and promises to reflect all shades of opinion, whether people be
      believers, sceptics or neutrals on the topics covered. There's
      considerable diversity in the subjects featured: the first issue
      contained plenty of news and articles about UFOs, but other featured
      subjects included ghosts, crop circles, psychic detectives,
      synchronicity and much more besides.

      The Unopened Files

      On the subject of magazines, an established title which I consider to
      be one of the most interesting and thought-provoking publications
      currently available is The Unopened Files. This magazine covers
      ufology, but also carries a range of fascinating articles on secret
      technology, conspiracies and suppressed information. The Autumn issue
      (Number 12) is now out, and should be available from all good
      newsagents. One of the features is a lengthy interview with me in
      which I make some candid remarks about Operation Thunder Child, and
      explain why my new book is already proving so controversial.

      Psychic Development

      For those with an interest in all things spiritual and psychic, check
      out an interesting new book: The Psychic World of Derek Acorah. This
      new publication is part autobiography, part psychic self-development
      guide, and is packed with interesting accounts of occasions where
      Derek's powers were demonstrated. There are also various tests to
      judge your own psychic powers, and suggestions for developing such
      skills. It's informative but fun, and is well worth a look. It's
      published by Piatkus, and costs =A39.99.

      Alternative Therapy

      Every now and then my work with abductees can throw up a bizarre and
      abstract moment. One such moment occurred a few weeks ago. There's a
      particular abductee who I've been working with for about three years,
      and we've got to know each other socially. We went out one evening for
      a drink, and found ourselves in a karaoke bar. After some
      encouragement from her, I volunteered to do a song, and found myself
      belting out a number to a packed pub. The song I chose, somewhat
      appropriately, was the classic David Bowie number, Life on Mars. I'm
      sure there'll be some people who might think this a tad
      unprofessional, and I'm not quite sure what other abduction
      researchers will make of this. In reply to any criticisms, I'd simply
      point out that having fun is pretty good therapy for just about
      anything.

      Leeds Conference

      The annual conference held by UFO Magazine took place in Leeds on
      17th, 18th and 19th September. Next month's column will contain a full
      report on this event, with all the conference news and gossip.

      Ed's Note:

      Nick Pope's three books, Open Skies, Closed Minds, The Uninvited and
      Operation Thunder Child are available from all good bookshops. His UK
      publishers are Simon & Schuster. In America, The Overlook Press
      publish his books in hardback while Dell Publishing produce paperback
      editions.
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 2, 2000
        Forwarded by: fwestra@...
        Original Date: 2 Mar 2000 10:34:59 -0000

        +-----+----------------------------------------------------------+
        | | Hot Gossip UK - Weird World with Nick Pope |
        +-----+----------------------------------------------------------+

        Time marches on, so appropriately enough, here's the March column, with a
        mixture of news, reviews and gossip about ufology, the paranormal, the
        weird and the wonderful. This month, I'm afraid, starts with extremely sad
        news.

        Helen Wheels

        It's with great sadness that I have to report the tragic and untimely
        death of American singer Helen Wheels, one of a handful of entertainers
        who was brave enough to speak out pub licly about UFOs and abductions -
        not least about her own extraordinary experiences. Helen's experiences and
        philosophy were described in chapter nine of Michael Mannion's book
        Project Mindshift, and she was an abductee who worked with researchers
        such as the late Pete Mazzola and Budd Hopkins. She was a gifted
        singer/songwriter who used her music to get across information about UFOs,
        abductions, Freedom of Information Act UFO material and the issue of a UFO
        cover-up. Songs like The Saucer Song were entir ely UFO-related, and she
        used her album covers to disseminate information about UFOs. She also
        wrote material which was used by other bands, such as Blue Oyster Cult.
        Helen was the sister of ufologist Peter Robbins, and my dee! pest
        sympathies go to Peter and the rest of the family. Tributes can be left at
        www.helenwheels.com .

        The Atlantis Enigma

        Fans of authors like Graham Hancock and Robert Bauval will be interested
        in a new book by Herbie Brennan. The Atlantis Enigma draws on ancient
        myths and postulates that Biblical a ccounts of the Great Flood tie in
        with accounts of other cataclysms mentioned in other cultures. Brennan,
        however, puts forward the intriguing idea that this great and very real
        cataclysm was caused by the explosion of a nearby star, which sent debris
        thr ough our own solar system. There's a lot of material highlighting
        extraordinarily advanced knowledge possessed by ancient peoples, but
        plenty of new and thought-provoking ideas that are bound to lead to
        debate. The Atlantis Enigma is published by Piatkus at L10.99. Check out
        www.piatkus.co.uk for details of this and other Piatkus titles.

        Satanic Abuse Claims Resurface

        The controversy over ritual satanic abuse has been something that alien
        abduction researchers have followed with interest, as both phenomena have
        been denounced by some psychologi sts as having their roots not in reality
        but in a mixture of hoaxing, fantasy- prone personality and
        therapist-induced False Memory Syndrome. An apparent absence of any hard
        forensic evidence prompted some to suggest that ritual satanic abuse
        existed only in the minds of over-zealous social workers, and sceptical
        ufologists have suggested some interesting parallels with over-zealous
        abduction researchers. Now the debate is back with a vengeance, as
        psychotherapist Valerie Sinason claimed that some children in Britain were
        being specifically bred for ritual sacrifice. She claims that 46 of her
        patients have reported seeing the murder of adults and children, while 16
        reported seeing induced abortions or the murder of babies. She ! also
        claims to have seen photographs showing injuries to children, ceremonial
        sites and mutilated animals. Doubts have been cast on these claims by a
        number of other experts, including Professor Richard Green from the
        Department of Psychiatry at Imperial College School of Medicine in London.
        But Valerie Sinason is putting together a report for the Department of
        Health, and Scotland Yard are reported to be investigating. I'll keep you
        posted on this disturbing story.

        Cheers

        There can be few more enjoyable pleasures than sitting outside on a warm
        summers day, sipping an ice cold beer. But if you fancy an unusual tipple,
        an American company - Crop Circ le Beer - is marketing a beer brewed from
        barley from within crop circles. The deal involves Alton Barnes farmer Tim
        Carson and Warminster Maltings, who ensure that the barley used in the
        brewing process is not mixed with barley from other fields. The bee r
        isn't yet available in the UK, but I'll be making every effort to get hold
        of some, strictly for research purposes, of course!

        Intruders Foundation 2000

        Hot news just in: Dr John Mack has agreed to speak at the Intruders
        Foundation abduction conference being organised by Budd Hopkins in New
        York on 6 May. More details in next mont h's column.

        The Knights Templar

        Much spookiness, mystery and conspiratorial skulduggery has been laid at
        the door of the Knights Templar, and there have been numerous claims made
        in the last few years, linking t his Order with The Holy Grail,
        Freemasonry and the Turin Shroud. Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince wrote a
        controversial, well-researched and meticulously referenced book called The
        Templar Revelation which linked them to various practices that would be
        deno unced as heretical by the Christian church. Now there's a new book
        offering a less spooky history of the Order. Entitled The Templars, and
        written by Piers Paul Read, it paints a rather more orthodox view of the
        Templars as a Crusading Order whose fantast ic wealth attracted the
        jealousy of a politically strong but impoverished French King. The book is
        published by Weidenfeld at L20.

        Flying Tractors

        Researcher James Easton has caused much amusement among ufologists with a
        new theory about Britain's best-known UFO case, the Rendlesham Forest
        incident. James was previously best known for loudly championing Ian
        Ridpath's theory that the triangular, metallic craft seen by numerous
        United States Air Force personnel in Rendlesham Forest was a lighthouse,
        although as one of the witnesses wryly pointed out, lighthouses don't fly!
        Now Easton has a theory of his own: that the entire incident might have
        been caused by the misidentification of a tractor. The apparently serious
        suggestion started when Easton was driving late at night and saw a tractor
        in a field, festooned with lights. Un fortunately, theories like this -
        quite apart from being at odds with the data - serve only to infuriate
        witnesses, believers and sceptics alike. Witnesses stand accused of
        ridiculously poor judgement, while believers think it! 's yet more
        negative, ill-informed debunking. Ironically, it's serious sceptical
        researchers who tend to be most annoyed by such nonsense. Why? Because
        wild claims like this do far more than simply undermine the credibility of
        sceptics; they make them lau ghing stocks . and for serious researchers,
        that's the kiss of death.

        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 2, 2004
          July 2004

          Weird World
          NICK POPE

          Welcome to the July 2004 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
          abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
          weird and the wonderful.

          Crop Circles

          Crop circles have returned again to the fields of England. Several
          patterns have appeared already, mainly in Wiltshire. I shall be there on
          the weekend of 3 and 4 July 2004, doing some filming with an Italian
          television channel. Those interested in Ministry of Defence involvement
          with the crop circle mystery might like to check out the section of
          www.nickpope.net on crop circles, which contains an official history of
          government and military involvement with the subject. More on crop circles
          next month.

          Toutatis - The Doomsday Asteroid ?

          The internet is buzzing again with stories of impending Armageddon. This
          time the culprit is the asteroid Toutatis, which is due to make a close
          approach to Earth on 29 September 2004. I have received several emails
          about this and seen numerous New Age predictions on various websites. I
          hope this does not lead to the sort of tragedy that arose in the run up to
          the close approach of Comet Hale Bopp in 1997, when 38 disciples of the
          Heavens Gate cult committed suicide. For the record, Toutatis will indeed
          make a close approach to the Earth on 29 September 2004. However, it will
          miss by nearly one million miles, which means it will be around four times
          further away than the moon. Search for the word Toutatis on the NASA
          website www.nasa.gov for the science behind the scare stories. And if you
          have a genuine interest in the threat posed to the Earth by comets and
          asteroids, you might consider joining Spaceguard UK. I am an Associate
          Member and can recommend the organisation highly. Check out
          www.spaceguarduk.com for details.

          Andrew Green

          Veteran ghosthunter Andrew Green died on 21 May 2004. Green was a prolific
          writer, researcher and lecturer on the subject, whose best known book was
          probably his 1973 offering Our Haunted Kingdom. As well as writing about
          cases himself, he edited a number of books on the subject, including The
          Enigma of Borley Rectory, written by Ivan Banks. Green wrote for a number
          of magazines, including Prediction, as well as popping up on TV from time
          to time. In 1996 he undertook a high profile ghost hunt at the Royal
          Albert Hall, the night before the new Proms season began. Aside from
          ghosts and hauntings, he was interested in a wide range of other
          paranormal phenomena. If ghosts do exist, Green may well return to haunt
          fellow ghosthunter Peter Underwood, whose obituary of Green in The
          Independent seemed decidedly ungracious.

          Alien Abduction Study

          July 2004 presents UK based abductees their final opportunity to take part
          in a scientific study into the alien abduction phenomenon, being carried
          out by psychologists at Goldsmiths College, University of London. As
          featured previously in this column, this is the only such study ever to
          have been carried out in the UK. The project has been underway for some
          time now, but the interviewing stage of the study will finish at the end
          of July 2004. I have spoken to several people who have taken part, and
          despite initial nervousness about getting involved in a project of this
          nature, they told me they enjoyed taking part, welcomed the chance to tell
          their stories and be listened to, and felt that the whole experience was
          empowering. Witness confidentiality is guaranteed and abductees can use a
          pseudonym if they wish. Abductees, contactees and experiencers wishing to
          take part should contact Julia Santomauro at apru@... or telephone
          her on 020 7919 7171, extension 4389. Once the scientists have published a
          report into the study and its conclusions, later this year, I will feature
          the story in this column. Watch this space.

          UFO Debate at the Cheltenham Festival of Science

          On 11 June 2004 I debated the UFO phenomenon at the Cheltenham Festival of
          Science. The festival ran for five days and is now in its third year. Its
          sponsors and partners included the British National Space Centre, The
          Royal Society and the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority. The idea is
          to showcase high profile, interesting and contentious issues in
          contemporary science, such as nuclear power, cloning, climate change and
          GM crops. Attendees included NASA astronaut Mark Kelly, Beagle 2 inventor
          Colin Pillinger and Lord Robert Winston. The opening speech was given by
          Government Chief Scientist David King. The debate itself was comparatively
          unremarkable. I said a little bit about the Ministry of Defence UFO
          project, UFO sightings backed by radar evidence, and photographic analysis
          of UFO photographs and videos. I also gave some examples of interesting
          cases investigated by the Department. Radio astronomer Ian Morison (a late
          replacement for BBC News Online science editor David Whitehouse) talked
          about SETI, the Rare Earth theory, light speed, and witness misperception.
          This was followed by questions from the audience, and my only
          disappointment was that despite being billed as a debate, no vote was
          taken. The interesting thing, of course, is that ufology got onto the
          agenda at all, at a science festival of this kind. Consider this alongside
          the fact that psychologists at Goldsmiths College University of London are
          conducting a scientific study into the alien abduction phenomenon. And
          consider it too alongside the fact that the new multi million pound Dana
          Centre at the Science Museum held a UFO debate in December 2003. I believe
          these are encouraging signs for ufology. If nothing else, it rather
          undermines some of the silly stories that have been circulating recently,
          falsely proclaiming that ufology is dead.

          Ed's Note:

          Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an overview
          of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official Ministry of
          Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an overview of the
          alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and Operation Lightning
          Strike are science fiction novels about alien invasion, incorporating UFO
          and abduction data. All four titles are available from most good bookshops
          and all the usual Internet book sites.

          Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

          © Knight International
          www.knight-intl.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 5 5:07 PM
            August 2004

            NICK POPE’S WEIRD WORLD

            http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/August_2004/105.cntns

            Welcome to the August 2004 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
            abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
            weird and the wonderful.

            Crop Circles

            The crop circle season is in full swing, with all sorts of new formations,
            events, media coverage and controversy. The biggest conference was the
            Glastonbury Symposium 2004. It was held on 23 to 25 July and featured
            talks from the likes of John Mack, Robert Bauval, Michael Glickman, Dr
            Eltjo Haselhoff, Andy Thomas and Steve Alexander. Circlemakers Rod
            Dickinson and John Lundberg have meanwhile being featured in the media
            talking about their commercial circle making activities. This typically
            involves their being paid to produce corporate logos for advertising
            campaigns or formations that promote TV series. This, of course, is where
            the controversy arises. Sceptics point to the intricacy of some of these
            commissioned works and say this proves all the pictograms are made by
            people. Believers disagree, saying that while these commissioned works are
            impressive, they are not as complex as the most intricate of pictograms.
            They also point out that commissioned formations are produced in daylight,
            quite openly, whereas they say the most spectacular pictograms have
            appeared in a few short hours, overnight. I got a chance to make a brief
            visit to Alton Barnes on 4 July when I was interviewed in The Barge Inn by
            an Italian TV company making a programme on the crop circle mystery. The
            Barge Inn is a lovely pub by the canal and is often used as a meeting
            point for crop circle researchers and enthusiasts.

            Sixto Paz Wells

            Peruvian contactee Sixto Paz Wells made a rare visit to the UK recently
            and I attended a lecture he gave in London on 29 June. With the current
            focus on alien abductions, it is interesting from a ufological perspective
            to come across someone whose story is reminiscent of the claims made by
            people like George Adamski, Truman Bethurum, Daniel Fry and Howard Menger.

            Atlantis

            A new theory about Atlantis, this time from a German scientist, Dr Rainer
            Kuehne. He believes that satellite photographs of an area near Cadiz in
            Spain show evidence of ancient flood damage consistent with the original
            descriptions of Atlantis offered by Plato. Dr Kuehne is trying to persuade
            archaeologists to take a look at the site, with a view to carrying out an
            excavation.

            Laurance Rockefeller

            Sad news of the death of another hero of ufology. Conservationist,
            philanthropist and businessman Laurance Rockefeller died on 11 July at the
            age of 93. Rockefeller financed the production of a UFO briefing document
            entitled Best Available Evidence, which was subsequently sent to various
            world leaders. I was not directly involved in the production of this
            document but was quoted in it and received a copy of the final product,
            which was in later years published as a paperback. The production of the
            document owed much to the dedication of Don Berliner, Marie Galbraith,
            Antonio Huneeus and Sandra Wright. It marked a high point in ufological
            cooperation, with CUFOS, FUFOR and MUFON all fully engaged.

            SynchroFile

            Paranormal investigator Raymond Fowler has a new book out that deals with
            the intriguing subject of synchronicity. Drawing on personal experience,
            Fowler examines various paranormal phenomena such as UFOs, ghosts,
            telepathy and out of body experiences, speculating that they are all
            linked. A unified theory of the paranormal? Order from Amazon or other
            outlets and decide for yourself.

            After The Martian Apocalypse

            Mac Tonnies has just had a new book published looking at the idea that
            there was once a civilisation on Mars. This is not the first book to look
            into these theories, but it is interesting to note that interest in Mars
            is still high.

            SPI Talk

            I shall be giving a talk at the SPI group run by Malcolm Robinson on 28
            August. I will be discussing what it was like to work on the Ministry of
            Defence UFO Project and shall be looking at some previously unknown
            aspects of this work, in relation to some of the other strange reports
            that came our way in the margins of our UFO work.

            Media Interest In UFOs

            A couple of other things to report in relation to my own media
            appearances. I appeared on Xchange on CBBC on 2 July and will be appearing
            on some Sky One programmes looking at science fiction, in September. More
            about this next month.

            Ed's Note:

            Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an overview
            of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official Ministry of
            Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an overview of the
            alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and Operation Lightning
            Strike are science fiction novels about alien invasion, incorporating
            genuine UFO and abduction data. They are also the only science fiction
            novels ever to have needed official government clearance. All four titles

            Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

            © Knight International
            www.knight-intl.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 2, 2004
              September 2004

              Weird World
              NICK POPE

              http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/September_2004/115.cntns

              Welcome to the September 2004 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
              abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
              weird and the wonderful.

              Crop Circle Apocalypse

              The annual battle between farmers and crop circle enthusiasts is under
              way, with the usual accusations and counter accusations concerning the
              provenance of formations, damage to crops, revenue made for charging
              access to crop circles, etc. There are no easy answers here, though
              everybody wants you to have one.

              Rendlesham Forest Skywatch

              British UFO Research Association and Strange Phenomena Investigations
              members were out in force on Saturday 14 August at Rendlesham Forest.
              Former United States Air Force security policeman Larry Warren gave a talk
              about the incident and then led a tour of the forest, pointing out some of
              the sites associated with the famous UFO incident from 1980. Interest in
              this incident refuses to go away.

              Bonnybridge UFO Theme Park

              Another UK UFO hotspot, Bonnybridge in Scotland, has been at the centre of
              rumours concerning a new theme park, centred around the UFO phenomenon.
              Newspaper reports claim that a multi million pound deal has been struck to
              create an attraction that could be on the scale of Disneyland and might
              create as many as twelve thousand new jobs. Local councillor Billy
              Buchanan has consistently lobbied to raise the profile of the UFO
              phenomenon and has lent his support to the project. Watch this space.

              SETI Conference

              A conference on the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence was held at
              Harvard University on 6 August. One of the key players present was Frank
              Drake, widely regarded as the father of SETI. The theme of the conference
              was quite provocative, as it focused on the reasons for the negative
              results achieved thus far. Drake and others believe that the time may have
              come for looking not just for radio signals but for powerful bursts of
              light that night be used as a beacon, to announce the presence of an
              extraterrestrial civilisation. Some SETI optimists believe that our
              capacity to conduct meaningful searches is advancing so rapidly that we
              will be able to detect signals from extraterrestrial intelligences within
              twenty years at the maximum. Again, watch this space.

              The Tunguska Event

              On 30 June 1908 something crashed in the Tunguska region of Siberia,
              flattening a vast area of forest and led to weird atmospheric phenomena
              witnessed all around the world. Theories have ranged from comets and
              meteorites through to black holes, anti matter and alien spacecraft. The
              latter theory has now had a boost with reports from Russia suggesting that
              a new scientific expedition has discovered artificial objects believed to
              have come from an extraterrestrial spacecraft. Is this a publicity stunt
              or has something actually been recovered? Watch this space, because I
              suspect we shall be hearing more about this in the next month or so.

              Sunday Express Ghost Story

              You expect from time to time to see stories about ghosts in the national
              newspapers. You expect that such stories will be a little lighthearted or
              written in an over the top style. What you do not expect is for the editor
              to come out and discuss a personal sighting. And yet that is precisely
              what happened on 15 August in the Sunday Express. The editor, Martin
              Townsend, devoted his column to giving an account of an encounter he and
              his then girlfriend had. They were walking through the village where he
              lived when they saw both saw a well known local man. Townsend said that
              something was troubling him about this, but for a moment he could not
              place the source of his anxiety. And then it hit him. The man had died a
              month or two beforehand. Townsend made no sensational claims and was not
              trying to make any profound points about religion or the afterlife. He was
              simply giving a no frills account of what he had seen. Sometimes the most
              sensational stories are the ones written in the least sensational way.

              Questing Conference 2004

              Andrew Collins is already planning Questcon04, the latest in a long line
              of successful conferences focusing on alternative history, forbidden
              archaeology and hidden teachings. Speakers include Lynn Picknett and Clive
              Prince talking about the Priory of Sion, Alan Alford discussing secret
              chambers in the Great Pyramid, Robert Feather speaking about the Spear of
              Destiny and Andrew Collins giving a presentation on the True Grail. Graham
              Phillips will attend if his other commitments permit. The conference is
              being held on Saturday 6 November at Cecil Sharp House, 2 Regents Park
              Road, Camden, London. The conference is being sponsored by Nexus Magazine.
              Check out www.questingconference.com for more details.

              Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

              © Knight International
              www.knight-intl.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 1, 2004
                October 2004

                Weird World
                NICK POPE

                http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/October_2004/125.cntns

                Welcome to the October 2004 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                weird and the wonderful.

                Crop Circle Advertisement

                Yet another commercial company has used crop circle imagery in a high
                profile advertising campaign, showing once again how firmly embedded the
                phenomenon is in the public consciousness. Mobile telephone operator O2 is
                the latest in a long line of companies who have used crop circles in an
                advertisement. They are unlikely to be the last.

                Peter Robbins and Larry Warren

                Peter Robbins and Larry Warren have been giving a series of talks on the
                so called Rendlesham Forest incident, arguably the most famous UFO case in
                the world aside from Roswell. Larry was based at Bentwaters/Woodbridge at
                the time of the incident, and Peter (who works closely with abduction
                researcher Budd Hopkins) is one of the leading experts on this case. They
                are the authors of the book Left At East Gate. Larry currently lives in
                Liverpool, but Peter, a native New Yorker, is making a rare but welcome
                trip to the UK. I shall be spending some time with him, discussing the
                case and visiting the site of the incident.

                Graham Birdsall

                It is hard to believe it is now just over a year since Graham Birdsall
                died. His tragic and untimely death was a devastating blow for his family
                and friends, but also for ufology more generally. The subsequent closure
                of UFO Magazine was also a sad loss for ufology. Several people have
                worked tirelessly to produce internet magazines that attempt to fill the
                gap left by UFO Magazine. While these efforts are to be commended, UFO
                Magazine will be a hard act to follow.

                Lord Hill-Norton

                It is also hard to believe that Lord Hill-Norton, another hero of ufology,
                is no longer with us. He died in May and a memorial service was held on 23
                September. Sadly, I was unable to attend, because of an overseas work
                commitment.

                Ultimate Sci-Fi Top 10

                Granada TV made three programmes for Sky One, looking at popular science
                fiction. I took part in these programmes (looking specifically at aliens,
                robots and science fiction moments) which were screened on 13, 20 and 27
                September, but which have already been repeated extensively. There is a
                long running debate over the influence of sci-fi on ufology, with sceptics
                claiming that sci-fi has influenced and perhaps in some cases inspired
                some UFO reports. Ufologists point out that the situation is equally true
                in reverse, with series like The X-Files, Taken and Dark Skies
                incorporating ufological motifs. Indeed, it should not be forgotten that
                Steven Spielberg used Dr J Allen Hynek, the Project Blue Book scientific
                consultant, as a consultant on Close Encounters of the Third Kind. An
                interesting counterargument to the assertion that UFO witnesses are
                consciously or subconsciously basing their accounts on things they have
                picked up from science fiction can be found by looking at the UFO and
                abduction literature. The carrying of laser weaponry (a common sci-fi
                motif) is almost completely absent from witness reports.

                Questing Conference 2004

                As reported last month, Andrew Collins is putting the finishing touches to
                the arrangements for Questcon04, the latest in a long line of successful
                conferences focusing on alternative history, forbidden archaeology and
                hidden teachings. Speakers include Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince talking
                about the Priory of Sion, Alan Alford discussing secret chambers in the
                Great Pyramid, Robert Feather speaking about the Spear of Destiny and
                Andrew Collins giving a presentation on the True Grail. Graham Phillips
                will attend if his other commitments permit. The conference is being held
                on Saturday 6 November at Cecil Sharp House, 2 Regents Park Road, Camden,
                London. The conference is being sponsored by Nexus Magazine. Check out
                www.questingconference.com for more details.

                The Da Vinci Code

                I have finally got around to reading The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown. The
                book is hugely enjoyable and will be appreciated by anybody with an
                interest in alternative religious history. The Templars, the Priory of
                Sion and Mary Magdalene all feature, and indeed The Templar Revelation by
                Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince is one of the books that clearly inspired
                Dan Brown, who mentions it specifically in the text, along with Holy
                Blood, Holy Grail, another key source. Highly recommended.

                X-Conference

                The X-Conference, organised this Spring by Stephen Bassett, was
                undoubtedly the most important UFO conference of the year. Plans for a
                second such event, in 2005, are currently on hold, pending underwriting
                support.

                Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                © Knight International
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 3, 2004
                  December 2004 - January 2005

                  Weird World
                  NICK POPE

                  Welcome to the joint December 2004 and January 2005 round up of news and
                  views on UFOs, alien abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the
                  unexplained, the weird and the wonderful.

                  The Naked Scientists

                  The Naked Scientists Online Radio Show is an initiative based at the
                  University of Cambridge and funded in part by the Royal Society. It aims
                  to bring cutting edge science, often involving controversial and high
                  profile subjects, to a wide audience, and do so in an entertaining way. I
                  have been asked to take part on 19 December and to discuss the Ministry of
                  Defence UFO project and the UFO sightings and alien abduction reports more
                  generally. Check out www.thenakedscientists.com for further details.
                  Because of the pressure of other commitments I do less talks for UFO
                  groups than used to be the case. But I think it is hugely important for
                  people involved in ufology to do what they can to take the subject to a
                  wider audience, and especially to engage with the world of science. In the
                  last year I have debated the UFO subject at the Dana Centre, part of the
                  Science Museum in London, and have appeared at the Cheltenham Festival of
                  Science. Next March I shall be lecturing at the Newcastle Science
                  Festival. I shall keep readers posted on these appearances.

                  Ghosts, Orbs and the MOD

                  The MOD house magazine Focus has run another article on ghosts, reflecting
                  the vast number of military bases that are alleged to be haunted. I first
                  heard of some of these accounts whilst running the UFO project, but active
                  investigation was outside my remit. Devonport Naval Base is the latest
                  location to be studied, with a team from the Society of Metaphysicians
                  based at Brunel University investigating the site, where naval ratings and
                  security guards have been frequently scared by ghostly apparitions and
                  related phenomena. Leading the study was psychic Goldy Bromley, whose team
                  brought motion detectors, night vision cameras, laser thermometers and
                  sound detection equipment. They also brought dowsing rods and toys for the
                  spirits of children believed to haunt the base. Goldy Bromley subsequently
                  claimed that some form of communication with spirits had taken place. As
                  some of the ghosts are believed to be spirits of French soldiers from the
                  Napoleonic era, the investigators hummed the French national anthem. It is
                  claimed that this led to the appearance of orbs that were recorded on the
                  night vision cameras. Similar balls of light have often been reported on
                  skywatches and in areas closely associated with UFO sightings, such as
                  Rendlesham Forest. The ghostbusters were accompanied by Naval personnel,
                  and a report is being drawn up. I will keep readers posted on developments.

                  Ghosts on the London Underground

                  Still on the subject of ghosts, the London Underground is another place
                  where numerous ghosts have been seen. A new television series will attempt
                  to draw together ghostly experiences witnessed by staff and passengers
                  alike. Check out www.underlondonground.co.uk for details and if you have
                  had a ghostly experience on the tube, email it to
                  info@... and you could be on TV. And yes, the website
                  and email addresses are correct. There is no ghost in the machine here.

                  The Holy Grail and The Priory of Sion

                  Codebreakers at Bletchley Park were called in to help decipher an
                  inscription at a stately home in Staffordshire. Rumoured to be a clue as
                  to the location of the Holy Grail, it is now believed that the message
                  relates to the mysterious and heretical Priory of Sion. Work to decode the
                  message was undertaken by Oliver and Sheila Lawn, an elderly couple who
                  were based at Bletchley Park during the Second World War. The so-called
                  Shugborough Code reads D OUOSVAVV M and Oliver Lawn said it was harder to
                  break than the Enigma Code, because there were so few letters. But the
                  inscription is underneath a carving of Nicolas Poussin, rumoured to have
                  been a Grand Master of the Priory of Sion. The message is believed to read
                  Jesus (As Deity) Defy, which would reflect the heretical belief of the
                  sect that Jesus was not divine.

                  Atlantis

                  Robert Sarmast, an American explorer, claims that he has discovered the
                  real location of the Lost City of Atlantis. Following clues in the
                  writings of Plato, he led an expedition to the Mediterranean waters off
                  the coast of Cyprus. He claims that sonar scans he took provide evidence
                  of man made structures on a hill flooded in around 9000 BC. He believes
                  these scans show traces of walls and paths, but admitted that no artefacts
                  had been recovered, on the basis that they are buried deep under sediment.
                  Readers may recall a claim earlier in the year that the remains of
                  Atlantis had been found in Spain, in a salt marsh. These claims surface
                  from time to time, but I will keep readers informed if anything
                  substantive develops.

                  The Men Who Stare At Goats

                  This latest and marvellously named book by Jon Ronson deals with some of
                  the more bizarre studies undertaken by the US military, and some of the
                  strange tactics they have adopted. From PsyOps to Remote Viewing, this
                  book manages to be informative, entertaining and disturbing in equal
                  measures. When running the UFO project at the MOD I was occasionally
                  approached by remote viewers offering to become psychic spies. Sadly,
                  nobody claiming such abilities was ever able to demonstrate this
                  practically, so nothing came of the offers. Ronson, however, lifts the lid
                  on a far more elaborate regime in which the Americans, often under the
                  command of Major General Albert Stubblebine III, experimented with the
                  weird and the wonderful on a far greater scale. Is invisibility possible?
                  Can people walk through walls? Can remote viewers spy on enemies of the
                  state, or even on extraterrestrials? And is it possible, through the power
                  of your mind, to kill an animal just by staring at it? This book is
                  seriously weird and hugely fun.

                  Friendly Fire

                  Authors Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince are best known for books such as
                  The Stargate Conspiracy and The Templar Revelation, the latter being one
                  of the key sources for the Dan Brown classic The Da Vinci Code. Their
                  latest book, Friendly Fire, is a fascinating study of how the Second World
                  War Allies manipulated and misled each other in their attempts to gain
                  advantage not just against the Germans and the Japanese, but against each
                  other. Deception, lies, intrigue, espionage and assassination abound, and
                  readers will never view wartime leaders such as Churchill and Roosevelt in
                  the same way again. There are fresh insights into the mystery of Rudolph
                  Hess and his bizarre flight to Scotland, together with revelations
                  concerning Soviet acquisition of atomic technology, and the roots of the
                  Cold War. The book was co-written with the late Stephen Prior and
                  incorporates additional historical research by military historian Robert
                  Brydon. Check out www.mainstreampublishing.com for further details of this
                  book. Fascinating and disturbing, this book will change your view about
                  some of the key events that shaped the world in which we live.

                  Seasons Greetings

                  Finally, I would like to wish all my readers a Merry Christmas and a Happy
                  New Year. In particular, my thoughts are with the brave men and women
                  currently serving their country in Iraq, Afghanistan and other overseas
                  locations. You may be far from home, but you are still in our thoughts.
                  Stay safe.

                  Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                  © Knight International
                  www.knight-intl.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 1, 2005
                    February 2005

                    Weird World
                    NICK POPE

                    http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/February_2005/155.cntns

                    Welcome to the February 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                    abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                    weird and the wonderful.

                    UFOs and the Freedom of Information Act

                    As I predicted some time ago, information on UFOs has become one of the
                    most popular subjects requested under the Freedom of Information Act,
                    which came fully into force on January 1 2005. Indeed, it was one of a
                    handful of subjects picked out for special mention by the National
                    Archives. The National Archives marked the coming into force of the Act by
                    proactively releasing a large number of government files, including
                    several dealing with UFO sightings. There was extensive media coverage of
                    this, including articles in The Independent and the Daily Mail. Details of
                    the newly released UFO files can be found at the following link
                    www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/releases/2005/ januaryfoi/list4.htm and more
                    extensive UFO research can be done by accessing the main National Archives
                    website at www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ and searching the site, using a
                    range of search terms such as UFO, unidentified, flying saucers, etc.

                    Rendlesham Forest UFO Documents

                    More UFO documents relating to the Rendlesham Forest UFO incident have
                    been released, this time by Suffolk Police. Their holdings are limited and
                    include some public correspondence, but also released for the first time
                    is the police log of the incident. This can be viewed at the following
                    link www.suffolk.police.uk/NR/rdonlyres/
                    2EF34838-589D-4DA7-95F1-CA23BE34E924/ 0/unusuallights.pdf or by searching
                    the Suffolk Police website www.suffolk.police.uk/ for information, using
                    the keyword Rendlesham.

                    Newcastle Science Festival

                    I have been asked to appear at the Newcastle Science Festival, to give a
                    lecture on UFOs. The festival runs from March 11-21 2005 and I will be
                    appearing on Saturday March 12. I spoke last year at the Cheltenham
                    Festival of Science and always welcome the opportunity to discuss the UFO
                    phenomenon at a science event, as it presents an opportunity to explain
                    that UFOs can and should be the study of serious study, done in line with
                    proper scientific methodology. It was no coincidence that the Ministry of
                    Defence UFO project has its roots in interest expressed by one of its
                    Chief Scientific Advisers, the legendary radar pioneer Sir Henry Tizard.
                    Details of the festival can be found at the following link
                    www.newcastlesciencefestival.co.uk/ and the website will shortly be
                    updated to give more details of the various presentations. If you can get
                    along, I look forward to seeing you.

                    Sunday Express UFO Article

                    On January 30 2005 the Sunday Express ran a double page UFO feature in its
                    review section. The article featured UFO researcher Philip Mantle, UFO
                    witness Craig Malcolm from the Scottish UFO hotspot Bonnybridge, and James
                    Millen, an abductee. There was some more general background information on
                    the subject and I was quoted commenting on the British Government UFO
                    project and on the Rendlesham Forest UFO case involving the twin bases at
                    RAF Bentwaters and RAF Woodbridge.

                    X-Conference 2005

                    The second X-Conference, organised by Stephen Bassett, will be held on
                    April 22-24 2005, in Washington DC. Check out
                    www.paradigmclock.com/X-Conference/X-Conference.htm for details of the
                    conference, and check www.paradigmclock.com/ for details of the wider UFO
                    disclosure orientated work undertaken by Stephen Bassett. The details of
                    the participating speakers are now firming up and include Stanton
                    Friedman, Ann Druffel, Robert and Ryan Wood, Jaime Maussan, Michael Salla,
                    Paola Harris, Richard Dolan and Alfred Webre. I will cover this extensive
                    conference in further detail as the event approaches.

                    Daniel Augusto Chiesa

                    For those interested in UFOs and Egyptology, and a possible link between
                    the subjects, check out www.danaug.com for details of the thoughts,
                    experiences and related artwork of Daniel Augusto Chiesa.

                    White Noise

                    Electronic Voice Phenomenon is a way in which many believe the voices of
                    the dead can be picked up and listened to. This used to be regarded as a
                    fringe paranormal phenomenon, but has now attracted the attention of
                    Hollywood. A movie entitled White Noise has now been released, covering
                    the subject. Starring Michael Keaton, the movie tells the story of a man
                    offered the opportunity to contact his dead wife. Check out
                    www.whitenoisemovie.com for details.

                    Andrew Lownie

                    Andrew Lownie, a UK literary agent who represents a number of writers on
                    the UFO phenomenon, has recently updated his new website. Check out
                    www.andrewlownie.co.uk for details of Andrew and his work.

                    Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                    © Knight International
                    www.knight-intl.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 5, 2005
                      March 2005

                      Weird World
                      NICK POPE

                      http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/March_2005/165.cntns

                      Welcome to the March 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                      abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                      weird and the wonderful.

                      Daily Mail UFO Article

                      Media interest in UFO documents and files released under the Freedom of
                      Information Act continues, and many national and local newspapers have run
                      features on the subject. I was commissioned by the daily Mail to write a
                      full page article on this, which duly appeared on February 2. The article
                      covered the history of the Ministry of Defence UFO project, and
                      highlighted some of the most interesting sightings that the Department has
                      investigated.

                      Newcastle Science Festival

                      I will be speaking at the Newcastle Science Festival on Saturday March 12.
                      Details of the festival can be found at
                      http://www.newcastlesciencefestival.co.uk while the hyperlink
                      http://www.newcastlesciencefestival.co.uk/eventdetail.asp?e=49 should take
                      you to brief details of my presentation. I spoke last year at the
                      Cheltenham Festival of Science and have previously debated the subject at
                      the Dana Centre, which is part of the Science Museum in London. I always
                      welcome the opportunity to discuss the UFO phenomenon at a science event,
                      as it presents an opportunity to explain that UFOs can and should be the
                      study of serious study, done in line with proper scientific methodology.
                      If you can get to Newcastle, I look forward to seeing you.

                      Species III

                      I have been doing some promotional work in respect of the forthcoming
                      rental release of the new collectors edition DVD of the cult sci-fi movie
                      Species III. The DVD will be released on March 28, and stars Natasha
                      Henstridge and Sunny Mabrey. As anybody who has watched Metropolis or
                      Barbarella will tell you, sex and sci-fi mix very well. Species III is a
                      case in point. Look out for the DVD with its numerous special features,
                      and for various UFO and alien related articles coinciding with the
                      release. Sci-fi and horror fans alike will love this.

                      Aliens: Why They Are Here

                      Sunday Times cultural commentator Bryan Appleyard has a new book published
                      in March, examining the UFO and alien abduction phenomenon in a cultural
                      context. Although not yet received for review, the book - published by
                      Simon & Schuster - is bound to provoke debate. More on this next month.

                      Blue Book Archive

                      The United States Air Force UFO research effort, codenamed Project Blue
                      Book, was the big brother, so to speak, of the UK project that I stewarded
                      from 1991 to 1994. The archives are extensive, and still a great resource
                      for anyone with a serious interest in UFOs. Check out
                      http://www.bluebookarchive.org for access to this fantastic ufological
                      resource.

                      The Hijack - Remote Viewing Novel

                      Thriller author Duncan Falconer has written several best-selling novels
                      dealing with terrorism and special forces. He knows his stuff, as they
                      say. His book The Hijack, apart from being an exciting read, covers the
                      subject of remote viewing. Alternatively known as psychic spying, this
                      technique has been tried by various governments, to see if they can use it
                      to locate submarines, drugs caches and other items of interest. When I ran
                      the UK UFO project I had a steady stream of people volunteering to psychic
                      spy for their county, simply because my office became the focal point for
                      anything weird and wonderful. It is interesting to see the concept worked
                      into a novel, especially one so gripping as this. Check out
                      http://www.andrewlownie.co.uk/books/falconer.duncan/hijack.shtml for
                      further details.

                      http://www.paradigmclock.com/X-Conference/X-Conference.htm for details of
                      the conference, and check http://www.paradigmclock.com/ for details of the
                      wider UFO disclosure orientated work undertaken by Stephen Bassett. The
                      details of the participating speakers are now firming up and include
                      Stanton Friedman, Ann Druffel, Robert and Ryan Wood, Jaime Maussan,
                      Michael Salla, Paola Harris, Richard Dolan and Alfred Webre.

                      Psychic Detective

                      The TV show Psychic Detective is looking for people who have had a
                      mysterious death or disappearance in the family, with a view to engaging a
                      psychic medium to look into the case. I am not involved with this show,
                      and sceptics would doubtless regard this as exploitative, but some people
                      may want to engage in this, and one should never prejudge the results. The
                      TV production company can be contacted by email on
                      psychic.detective@... or telephoned on 020 7515 2332.

                      Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                      © Knight International
                      www.knight-intl.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 4, 2005
                        April 2005

                        http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/April_2005/172.cntns

                        Weird World
                        NICK POPE

                        Welcome to the April 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                        abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                        weird and the wonderful.

                        Bizarre

                        Page 114 of the May issue of Bizarre contains an interview with me, in
                        which I describe some of the weird and wonderful cases that I came across
                        while running the UFO Project at the Ministry of Defence. I cover some UFO
                        sightings that are explained and others that remain a mystery, delve into
                        the issue of cover-ups and conspiracies, and look at alien abductions.
                        Although covering a full page, the interview is a heavily edited version
                        of what was a lengthy discussion, and inevitably, a couple of comments
                        have been taken out of context. Furthermore, Bizarre is a somewhat risqué
                        magazine that some might find offensive. However, it is more evidence that
                        the media are taking an increased interest in UFOs.

                        Asteroid Alert

                        As an Associate Member of Spaceguard UK, a lobby group raising awareness
                        on the threat posed to the Earth by comets and asteroids, I was pleased to
                        see the Daily Mail run a full page article on March 15, dealing with the
                        work of Scottish scientist Dr Gianmarco Radice. Radice works at the
                        Aerospace Engineering Department at Glasgow University and has won a
                        research grant from the UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research
                        Council. Unlike most current work, his study will focus not on detection,
                        but on the technology of interception and deflection. Check
                        http://www.spaceguarduk.com/ for information of the threat we face and the
                        action being taken to deal with it.

                        Newcastle Science Festival

                        My March 12 talk at Newcastle Science Festival was a great success, with
                        an audience of around 350 and a question time that ran on for a long time
                        after the scheduled period. It is easy to talk at UFO conferences, because
                        there is a sense that one is preaching to the converted. It is more
                        difficult to discuss UFOs at science events, and yet this will probably
                        achieve more, in the longer term. I was particularly pleased to see so
                        many young people taking such an active interest.

                        The Beast of Sydenham

                        More big cat sightings from the UK, with children being kept inside and
                        armed police roaming the streets trying to track it down. I have been
                        warning of this threat for years and have predicted that, tragically, it
                        is only a matter of time before a child is killed. The latest alert
                        follows an attack on a 36 year old man and a sighting by a police officer.
                        In a related story, farmers in Oxfordshire have put up a reward for the
                        capture of a big cat held responsible for killing livestock.

                        Species III

                        As mentioned in my last column, I have been doing some promotional work in
                        respect of the forthcoming rental release of the new collectors edition
                        DVD of the cult sci-fi movie Species III. The DVD was released on March 28
                        and stars Natasha Henstridge and Sunny Mabrey. As anybody who has watched
                        Metropolis or Barbarella will tell you, sex and sci-fi mix very well.
                        Species III is a case in point. Look out for the DVD with its numerous
                        special features. Sci-fi and horror fans alike will love it. A series of
                        UFO and alien abduction related articles are appearing to coincide with
                        the launch of the DVD, of which the article in Bizarre magazine is the
                        first.

                        Aliens: Why They Are Here

                        Sunday Times cultural commentator Bryan Appleyard has a new book published
                        in March, examining the UFO and alien abduction phenomenon in a cultural
                        context. I have now received a review copy and am midway through the book.
                        Although I do not agree with some of the points Bryan makes, this is a
                        very well written book and easily the most significant addition to the
                        ufological literature in recent years. Go to
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/
                        0743256859/qid=1111928893/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_10_1/
                        026-6976479-4448465 for details of the book and how to order it.

                        X-Conference 2005

                        Time is running out for those of you who wish to attend the second
                        X-Conference, organised by Stephen Bassett, which will be held on April
                        22-24 2005, in Washington DC. Check out
                        http://www.paradigmclock.com/X-Conference/
                        X-Conference.htm for details of the conference, and check
                        http://www.paradigmclock.com/ for details of the wider UFO disclosure
                        orientated work undertaken by Stephen Bassett. The participating speakers
                        are now confirmed and include Stanton Friedman, Ann Druffel, Robert and
                        Ryan Wood, Jaime Maussan, Michael Salla, Paola Harris, Richard Dolan and
                        Alfred Webre. It promises to be a superb conference, and while this is
                        primarily aimed at US readers, a fair few Brits made the trek over last
                        year, and very much enjoyed themselves. And Washington in springtime is
                        one of those trips that everybody should make once in a lifetime, to see
                        the cherry trees in bloom, visit the White House and marvel at the Wright
                        Flyer, on display at the Smithsonian.

                        Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                        © Knight International
                        www.knight-intl.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 5, 2005
                          May 2005

                          Weird World
                          NICK POPE

                          Welcome to the May 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                          abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                          weird and the wonderful.

                          http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/May_2005/181.cntns

                          London UFO Conference

                          Details of what promises to be the most ambitious UFO conference held in
                          the UK for several years have now been announced. The Scientific Evidence
                          For UFOs is a one day conference being held in London on Saturday June 11.
                          Keynote speakers are Dr Richard Haines, Timothy Good, Dr Vladimir Rubtsov,
                          Dr Viktor Zhuravlev and myself. Click on
                          http://www.wddty.co.uk/ufo_conference_info.asp for further details of this
                          major UFO conference.

                          Countdown To Oblivion

                          Recently received for review, an extraordinary new book about alien
                          abductions, entitled Countdown To Oblivion. Written by D J Haskell and
                          published by Trafford Publishing (UK) Ltd, this book reads in many ways
                          more like some of the old contactee titles. Some may see this book as
                          quite New Age in its approach, and sceptics will doubtless question much
                          of the material, especially that part relating to the enigmatic entity
                          referred to as The Stranger. However, this is an intriguing addition to
                          alien abduction literature, and is bound to spark debate about the true
                          nature of the UFO phenomenon and the alien abduction mystery. Check out
                          www.trafford.com for further details.

                          Mars

                          In the aftermath of the ill fated Beagle 2 mission, the European Space
                          Agency has announced its intention to return to the Red Planet, with a new
                          mission due to leave the Earth in 2011 and arrive in 2013. This new
                          mission would again include a roving robot, and a key aim would be to
                          search for evidence of life. The details of the mission have yet to be
                          agreed, but the intention is clear. One option being considered is a
                          mission to return Martian rocks to Earth for study.

                          Nexus Conference

                          Nexus magazine runs an interesting mix of esoteric material, conspiracy
                          theories, allegedly suppressed information, ufology and the paranormal.
                          Their annual conference is due to take place from May 13 - 15 in
                          Amsterdam. Speakers will include Laurence Gardner, Linda Moulton Howe,
                          David Hatcher Childress, Alfred Lambremont Webre and Nexus publisher and
                          editor Duncan Roads. Subjects to be covered include the Tunguska incident,
                          Mary Magdalene, UFO crash retrievals, ancient Egyptian knowledge, mind
                          control and out of body experiences. Check out www.nexusmagazine.com for
                          details.

                          Moon Dust

                          Andrew smith has written a fascinating new book about the space programme,
                          focusing on how the Apollo astronauts adjusted to life back on Earth. This
                          is an extraordinary book about some extraordinary men. The views of Edgar
                          Mitchell are interesting, and his deeply spiritual beliefs have already
                          been published in his own fascinating book, The Way of the Explorer.
                          Nonetheless, one is left with a sense that these extraordinary brave
                          individuals have found it difficult to adjust to life back on Earth, as if
                          everything that followed their brief adventure was an anti climax.
                          Fascinating, tragic and a little disturbing.

                          More Planet Earths

                          British scientists at the Open University have published new theories
                          supporting the idea that approximately half of all planetary systems could
                          harbour a planet like Earth. The new theoretical models suggest that such
                          planets may exist in far greater numbers than previously suggested,
                          offering the tantalising prospect that extraterrestrial life could be far
                          more widespread than previous estimates made by SETI scientists such as
                          Frank Drake. The research has been published in Astrophysical Journal.

                          New Piatkus Catalogue

                          The new Piatkus book catalogue is out, detailing titles due to be
                          published in the second half of 2005. Piatkus publish a wide range of
                          paranormal and New Age titles, and books in the latest catalogue include
                          Phenomenon by Sylvia Browne and Life Before Life, a book by Dr Jim B
                          Tucker about reincarnation claims made by children. Check out
                          www.piatkus.co.uk for further details.

                          Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                          © Knight International
                          www.knight-intl.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 9, 2005
                            June 2005

                            Weird World
                            NICK POPE

                            http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/June_2005/190.cntns

                            Welcome to the June 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                            abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                            weird and the wonderful.

                            The Scientific Evidence For UFOs

                            Details of what promises to be the most ambitious UFO conference held in
                            the UK for several years have now been announced. The Scientific Evidence
                            For UFOs is a one day conference being held in London on Saturday June 11,
                            at the Friends Meeting House on Euston Road. Keynote speakers include Dr
                            Richard Haines, Dr Vladimir Rubtsov, Dr Viktor Zhuravlev and myself. Click
                            on www.wddty.co.uk/ufo_conference_info.asp for further details of this
                            major UFO conference, which is latest in the series of conferences
                            organised by Living The Field. Check out www.livingthefield.com for
                            details of this organisation.

                            Festival of Near Death Experience

                            On July 29 a bizarre festival will be held in North West Spain, close to
                            the border with Portugal. People who have had near death experiences come
                            together to celebrate their resurrection as part of a bizarre event that
                            one suspects the Catholic Church only tolerates with extreme reluctance,
                            despite a nod to their patron saint of resurrection, Santa Marta De
                            Ribarteme. Those who have had these experiences take part in a procession,
                            carrying or lying in a coffin. The celebration is held in the town of As
                            Neves in Galicia, but other towns in the region, such as Amil, have
                            similar events. Search within the www.tourspain.es site for details, or
                            try Google.

                            Astraea Magazine

                            I have just recorded a major new interview with Astraea Magazine, an
                            exciting new internet magazine devoted to a wide range of esoteric
                            subjects. Experts already featured include Dr Robert Lomas and Michael
                            Cremo, while the subjects range from Egyptology and Black Madonnas to
                            Freemasonry and UFOs. Check out www.astraeamagazine.com for more details.

                            New Jack The Ripper Theory

                            Author Trevor Marriott has a new theory about Jack The Ripper, which he
                            has published in a new book, entitled Jack The Ripper: The 21st Century
                            Investigation. Marriott suggests that the Ripper may have been a sailor,
                            and draws parallels between the London attacks and killings in Nicaragua.
                            He even identifies a cargo vessel on which he believes the Ripper may have
                            served, and attempts to track his movements around the globe, tying them
                            in to brutal murders that fit the modus operandi of the Ripper.

                            Results of Alien Abduction Study

                            Regular readers of this column will recall that I have featured the work
                            of Professor Chris French at Goldsmiths College, University of London, who
                            has recently undertaken a scientific study into the alien abduction
                            phenomenon. I had a meeting with Chris and his team at the outset of the
                            project, discussing methodology, helped promote the study and encouraged
                            abductees I had worked with to take part. The analysis is now complete and
                            Chris will be giving an overview of the study at a conference to be held
                            at Liverpool Hope University College on Saturday June 4. Check out
                            www.hope.ac.uk/anomalousexperience/programme.htm for details of this talk
                            and other lectures in the Developing Perspectives on Anomalous Experience
                            conference. Other topics covered will include séances, out of body
                            experiences, hauntings and ESP. The full report on the abduction study
                            will be ready shortly after Chris presents his overview on June 4. I will
                            return to this in my column next month.

                            Crop Circles

                            The crops are ripening in the fields, and it will not be long before the
                            debate about crop circles resurfaces, as it does every summer, in England.
                            I await with interest the annual reports, and suspect that they will begin
                            shortly. I suspect that in my column next month, I will have some
                            interesting things to report.

                            UFOs on TV

                            Because of the fact that I used to head the UFO Project run by the British
                            Government, I am frequently approached by television and film production
                            companies, asking me to give interviews, act as consultant or present
                            shows dealing with this subject. I try to help out when I can, although
                            the pressure of other business precludes the time I have for such media
                            projects. What I can say is that there are numerous UFO related media
                            projects which will be appearing on your TV screens shortly.

                            Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                            © Knight International
                            www.knight-intl.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 2, 2005
                              July 2005

                              Weird World
                              NICK POPE

                              http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/July_2005/199.cntns

                              Welcome to the July 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                              abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                              weird and the wonderful.

                              Microsoft, UFOs and Aliens

                              I have been asked to judge a competition being run by Microsoft. MSN
                              Spaces are inviting people to submit a picture (real or fake) of a UFO or
                              alien, and follow the clues to track down the location of a hidden UFO
                              base. Prizes include a holiday in Florida with VIP access to the NASA
                              Space Center at Cape Canaveral, a digital camcorder, MP3 players and the
                              trendy new Qee toys. Check out http://www.msnspacerace.co.uk/ for details,
                              or enter the phrase MSN Space Race into Google.

                              Crop Circle Conference 2005

                              On August 13, 14 and 15 the Wiltshire Crop Circle Study Group are putting
                              on what promises to be one of the largest crop circle conferences in
                              recent years. The conference will be held at Marlborough College and
                              speakers include Francine Blake, Michael Glickman, John Major Jenkins and
                              Jay Goldner. Helicopter flights over crop circles and sacred dances in
                              formations will also be available. Email wccsg@... for further
                              details.

                              Glastonbury Symposium 2005

                              The other big crop circle conference is the annual Glastonbury Symposium.
                              This will be held on July 22, 23 and 24 in the Town Hall at Glastonbury,
                              and speakers include Andy Thomas, Robin Heath, John Michell, Marcus Allen
                              and Sir Laurence Gardner. Check out www.glastonburysymposium.co.uk for
                              further details.

                              Crop Circles and The Sun

                              Top UK tabloid The Sun put a crop circle on its front page on June 10.
                              Under the headline Aliens Back Our Bid, the newspaper featured a formation
                              in the shape of the Olympic symbol. The Sun was behind the stunt, and
                              admitted they had commissioned the making of the formation, but it was a
                              timely reminder of the enduring power of crop circle imagery, and the
                              extent to which this is now part of popular culture.

                              The War of the Worlds

                              The must see movie of the summer, The War of the Worlds, is now on general
                              release here in the UK. It remains to be seen whether such a Hollywood
                              blockbuster will

                              Exopolitics

                              Alfred Lambremont Webre has authored a book entitled Exopolitics. His
                              involvement with the study of the UFO phenomenon includes work with the
                              Carter Administration and the prestigious Stanford Research Institute.
                              Exopolitics is a controversial part of ufology, which attempts to define
                              the position of humanity in a Universe populated with other intelligent
                              civilisations. Check out http://www.exopolitics.com/ for details of the
                              subject, and
                              http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0973766301/qid=1119385731/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-8721351-2327150?v=glance&s=books
                              for details of the book. Alternatively, key the word Exopolitics into
                              Google or Amazon. Subtitled Politics, Government, and Law in the Universe,
                              this book is bound to be controversial.

                              The Secret History of Lucifer

                              A fascinating book by top paranormal and esoteric author Lynn Picknett
                              threatens to challenge everything you thought you knew about Lucifer.
                              People expecting satanic revelations will be disappointed, because it
                              seems the devil has been much maligned. Lucifer, Lynn suggests, has far
                              more to do with Goddess worship, pagan rituals and enlightenment than
                              anything evil. The subtitle Evil Angel or the Secret of Life Itself well
                              illustrates the debate at the heart of this book. Check out
                              http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/078671560X/104-8721351-2327150?v=glance
                              for further details of the book, or search for the title on Google. And
                              stand by for fireworks when this controversial book falls into the hands
                              of the fundamentalist, patriarchal Christians that Lynn so despises. A
                              more comprehensive review of this extraordinary, interesting,
                              well-researched and controversial book will appear next month.

                              Alien Abduction Study

                              As mentioned in my column last month, the scientific study into the alien
                              abduction phenomenon carried out by Professor Chris French at Goldsmiths
                              College, University of London, has now been completed. I had a meeting
                              with Chris and his team at the outset of the project, discussing
                              methodology. I also helped promote the study and encouraged abductees I
                              had worked with to take part. The analysis is now complete and Chris gave
                              an overview of the study at a conference held at Liverpool Hope University
                              College on Saturday June 4. Check out
                              http://www.hope.ac.uk/anomalousexperience/programme.htm for details of
                              this talk. The full report on the abduction study will be ready shortly.
                              Chris forwarded me a copy of his paper, but asked me not to post it for
                              now, as this might cause problems with subsequent publication in
                              scientific journals. He did, however, say that I could post a summary of
                              the paper. I am wary of this, as I am not a scientist, but I think I can
                              safely say the following. The study involved 19 abductees (8 male, 11
                              female) and a control group matched by age and gender. The study looked
                              for postulated psychological differences between the two groups, for
                              differences in susceptibility to false memories and for differences in ESP
                              and PK abilities. Significant differences were found in areas such as
                              tendency to hallucinate, absorption and dissociative tendencies. The
                              results were less clear on fantasy-proneness, while no significant
                              differences were found on susceptibility to false memory. Greater
                              incidence of sleep paralysis was found among the abductees, though it was
                              acknowledged that this might be a symptom of, and not an explanation for,
                              alien abduction. The tests on paranormal abilities did not appear to show
                              any significant differences, though there was one apparent difference on
                              the clairvoyance test, which I am attempting to clarify. Once the paper
                              has been published in scientific journals, I will feature a more detailed
                              analysis in this column.

                              Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                              © Knight International
                              www.knight-intl.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 7 4:17 PM
                                August 2005

                                Weird World
                                NICK POPE

                                http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/August_2005/208.cntns

                                Welcome to the August 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                                abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                                weird and the wonderful.

                                MSN Space Race

                                There is still time to enter the UFO competition being run by Microsoft.
                                Have you got a photograph of a UFO? Have you managed to take a picture of
                                an alien? If not, do you think you could fake one good enough to fool the
                                experts? And can you follow the clues to track down the location of a
                                hidden UFO base? I have been asked to judge this competition, as has
                                former Ministry of Defence scientist Peter Varnish. The prizes include a
                                holiday in Florida with VIP access to the NASA Space Center at Cape
                                Canaveral, a digital camcorder, MP3 players and lots of trendy new Qee
                                toys. Check out http://www.msnspacerace.co.uk/ for details, or enter the
                                phrase MSN Space Race into Google. The venture has been widely reported in
                                the national media, but please, do not believe some of the bizarre
                                conspiracy theories circulating on the internet. This is not a ruse on the
                                part of British intelligence to gather information about ufologists, or to
                                amass a collection of UFO photographs previously outside our control. It
                                is a fun competition for UFO witnesses or people with an interest in the
                                subject.

                                War Of The Worlds

                                If you only see one movie this summer, make sure you see this sensational
                                sci-fi blockbuster. Spielberg is back to his best, Cruise is superb and
                                the special effects are ... out of this world. I gave a brief interview
                                about the possibility of a real war of the worlds a sci-fi supplement that
                                appears in the current issue of the film magazine Empire. But please, with
                                all movies like this, see it on the big screen at the cinema. Enjoy!

                                Beagle 2 Inquest

                                The chances of Beagle 2 succeeding on Mars were a million to one, but
                                still ... sorry. Joking aside, the powerful Public Accounts Committee have
                                published a critical report into the much publicised failure of the Beagle
                                2 mission, citing poor risk management, last minute technical changes,
                                over ambitious timescales and funding uncertainties as reasons for the
                                failure.

                                Conspiracies

                                I hope regular readers of this column have caught the new series of
                                Conspiracies. Broadcast on Sky One on Sunday evenings at 9pm, the second
                                series of this show has delved into some intriguing areas, including Waco
                                and the Lockerbie bomb. One of the programmes in the second series will
                                relate to UFOs, so watch this space.

                                Haunted Homes

                                Do you have a ghost in your house? If you do, a new TV series wants to
                                hear from you. If you believe you are living with a paranormal presence
                                and want it investigated, email gemmachapman@... and give
                                the details. A psychic and other paranormal experts are involved with the
                                Haunted Homes TV show, which is a new series being developed for ITV.

                                Crop Circle Conference 2005

                                On August 13, 14 and 15 the Wiltshire Crop Circle Study Group are putting
                                on what promises to be one of the largest crop circle conferences in
                                recent years. The conference will be held at Marlborough College and
                                speakers include Francine Blake, Michael Glickman, John Major Jenkins and
                                Jay Goldner. Helicopter flights over crop circles and sacred dances in
                                formations will also be available. Email wccsg@... for further
                                details.

                                North Wales

                                A new website has been set up concentrating on UFO sightings in North
                                Wales. The area has seen a number of fascinating UFO sightings over the
                                years, and the website covers an interesting mix of UFO and abduction
                                related material, including information on some famous Welsh cases such as
                                the Berwyn Mountain crash, the Broadhaven Triangle, strange activity on
                                Denbigh Moor and the UFO sightings at Great Orme, one of the top ten UFO
                                hotspots in the UK. Check out www.nwalesufos.com for details of this new
                                but fast growing website.

                                Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                                © Knight International
                                www.knight-intl.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 5, 2005
                                  September 2005

                                  Weird World
                                  NICK POPE

                                  Welcome to the September 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                                  abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                                  weird and the wonderful.

                                  Metro - 60 Second Interview

                                  On 10 August I appeared in Metro, the popular free newspaper read by most
                                  London commuters. I was featured in their regular 60 Second Interview
                                  slot, and used the opportunity to tell people about my time on the
                                  Ministry of Defence UFO Project. I was also pictured on the front cover,
                                  which I had not expected. This is a tremendously high-profile feature -
                                  other recent interviewees include Norman Cook and Sandra Bullock - so was
                                  a wonderful opportunity to promote ufology and the paranormal more
                                  generally. Click on http://www.metro.co.uk/metro/interviews/
                                  interview.html%3Fin_page_id=8&in_interview_id=1144 to see the interview in
                                  its entirety.

                                  Forbidden Knowledge

                                  One of the biggest esoteric conferences ever held in the UK will be held
                                  on Saturday 1 July 2006. Speakers include Alan Alford, Andrew Collins,
                                  Michael Cremo, Paul Devereux, Philip Gardiner, Lionel Fanthorpe, Gary
                                  Osborn, Karen Ralls and myself. The conference will be held at Kings Hall
                                  in Stoke on Trent and is already attracting massive interest from all
                                  those interested in forbidden knowledge, Earth mysteries, the paranormal,
                                  mysticism, ancient mysteries and other esoteric subjects. On a related
                                  subject, a new book by Philip Gardiner and Gary Osborn, entitled The
                                  Serpent Grail, will be published on 15 September by Watkins Publishing.
                                  Click on the official Philip Gardiner website at
                                  http://www.philipgardiner.net for more details on the book and on
                                  http://www.phil.fah-designs.com/forbiddenknews1.pdf for details of the
                                  conference.

                                  QuestCon05

                                  For those of you who are unable to wait to 2006 for a big conference on
                                  various esoteric subjects, check out QuestCon05. Organised by Andrew
                                  Collins, the event will be held in London on Saturday 5 November. Speakers
                                  include Andrew Collins, Graham Phillips, Colin Wilson, Philip Gardiner and
                                  Gary Osborn. Click on http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/
                                  conference/conferencenews.htm for more details of what promises to be an
                                  informative and intriguing conference.

                                  Curried Meatballs and Alien Abduction

                                  The Ministry of Defence has run a news feature on some of the Freedom of
                                  Information requests it has received since the Act came fully into force
                                  on 1 January this year. A light-hearted news feature entitled Curried
                                  Meatballs and Alien Abductions appeared recently on the MOD website,
                                  highlighting the wide range of requests that the MOD has received. Many
                                  requests have related to information on UFOs and alien abductions, and the
                                  MOD news feature picks out a couple. Click on http://news.mod.uk/
                                  news_headline_story2.asp?newsItem_id=3474 for details of the story.

                                  Ufology is Dead - Again

                                  Another local UFO group ran short of sightings, prompting media
                                  speculation that ufology is dead. Several national newspapers ran articles
                                  on this and I was quoted in The Guardian, commenting on the story. I
                                  subsequently discussed this on BBC Radio Scotland and pointed out that
                                  stories like this were often the making of the UFO group concerned, as
                                  they get publicity which prompts people to send them the very UFO reports
                                  they complain are not forthcoming.

                                  MSN Space Race

                                  The UFO competition run by Microsoft has now closed. Entrants were asked
                                  to send in photographs of UFOs or aliens, real or fake, and to follow a
                                  series of clues to guess the location of a secret base where UFOs were
                                  being kept. The prizes included a holiday in Florida with VIP access to
                                  the NASA Space Center at Cape Canaveral, a digital camcorder, MP3 players
                                  and lots of trendy Qee key rings. I was asked to judge this competition,
                                  along with former Ministry of Defence scientist Peter Varnish. There was a
                                  fair bit of coverage of this competition in the media, but provoked quite
                                  a negative reaction on various discussion groups and blogs. The apparent
                                  coming together of Microsoft, NASA and the MOD in a UFO-related venture
                                  made many conspiracy theorists suspicious. There were rumours that the
                                  competition was aimed at gathering information about ufologists, or
                                  amassing a collection of genuine UFO photographs that had not previously
                                  been seen by officialdom. There were accusations that the whole
                                  competition was a disinformation project aimed at undermining ufology by
                                  blurring the line between fact and fiction, and some people even went so
                                  far as to encourage people to complain to Microsoft. In fact, the whole
                                  thing was a fun idea, and when we came to the judging, Peter and I
                                  assessed the entries not just for realism but for creativity, originality
                                  and humour. Check out the MSN Space Race website at
                                  http://www.msnspacerace.co.uk/ for a look at the winning entries and the
                                  runners-up.

                                  Crop Circle Formations of 2005

                                  There may not have been much in the newspapers, but the crop circle
                                  phenomenon is still very much with us. The summer of 2005 has seen some
                                  beautiful formations appearing in the fields of England. Whether you
                                  believe crop circles are made by people, Earth energies or
                                  extraterrestrials, they are undeniably fascinating. Click on
                                  http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2005/2005.html or
                                  http://www.temporarytemples.co.uk/2005/ for details of 2005 formations.

                                  Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                                  © Knight International
                                  www.knight-intl.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 4, 2005
                                    October 2005

                                    Weird World
                                    NICK POPE

                                    http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/October_2005/226.cntns

                                    Welcome to the October 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                                    abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                                    weird and the wonderful.

                                    The Science of Aliens

                                    The Science Museum is not the sort of place you would normally expect to
                                    find an exhibition and debate about UFOs, and yet that is exactly what is
                                    happening. The Science Museum is running a major new exhibition called The
                                    Science of Aliens, looking at UFOs, alien abductions and the most profound
                                    question of the modern era - are we alone in the Universe? To complement
                                    the exhibition, the Science Museum is running three debates at their new
                                    Dana Centre site. I shall be taking part in one of these. Tickets are free
                                    but must be pre-booked. Check out http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/aliens/
                                    for details of the exhibition http://www.danacentre.org.uk/ for details of
                                    the Dana Centre or http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/corporate_commercial/
                                    press/ShowPressRelease.asp?Show=336 for information about the debates.

                                    Astraea Magazine & Web Radio

                                    An absolutely fascinating series of interviews on a wide range of
                                    paranormal, mysterious and esoteric subjects can be accessed via Astraea
                                    Magazine & Web Radio. Subjects covered range from Freemasonry to Jack the
                                    Ripper, while I give one of the most wide-ranging interviews I have given
                                    in recent years on the Ministry of Defence UFO Project. Check out
                                    http://www.astraeamagazine.com/radio.php for details of the interviews and
                                    http://www.astraeamagazine.com/ for details of the magazine.

                                    Heavenly Lights: The Apparitions of Fatima and the UFO Phenomenon

                                    A controversial new book (or rather, an English language translation of a
                                    classic Portuguese book) suggests that the mysterious Fatima incident in
                                    1917 may have involved UFOs and not a manifestation of the Blessed Virgin
                                    Mary, as some believe. Heavenly Lights: The Apparitions of Fatima and the
                                    UFO Phenomenon is written by Portuguese academics Joaquim Fernandes and
                                    Fina d' Armada, and has a foreword by Jacques Vallee. Intriguing and
                                    provocative. Check out www.eccenova.com and follow the links to the media
                                    kit for more details, or check out the usual online book sites.

                                    The Serpent Grail

                                    A fascinating new book by Philip Gardiner and Gary Osborn, entitled The
                                    Serpent Grail, was published on 15 September by Watkins Publishing and is
                                    generating a lot of excitement among those with an interest in forbidden
                                    knowledge and ancient mysteries. The book looks at stories of the Holy
                                    Grail, the Philosopher's Stone and the Elixir of Life, and links these
                                    concepts with shamanism and enlightenment. Running through all this and
                                    providing, the authors believe, the key to unlocking numerous mysteries,
                                    is serpent mythology. This is a well-researched, well-written and
                                    thought-provoking book. Click on the official Philip Gardiner website at
                                    http://www.philipgardiner.net/ for more details, or check out the usual
                                    online book sites.

                                    QuestCon05

                                    Still on the subject of esoteric knowledge, there are still some tickets
                                    left for QuestCon05. Organised by Andrew Collins, the event will be held
                                    in London on Saturday 5 November. Speakers include Andrew Collins, Graham
                                    Phillips, Colin Wilson, Jeremy Narby, Philip Gardiner and Gary Osborn.
                                    Click on http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/
                                    conference/conferencenews.htm for more details of what promises to be an
                                    informative and intriguing conference.

                                    An American Demonology

                                    Coming soon, from the self-styled bad man of ufology, possibly one of the
                                    most important UFO books to have hit the bookshelves for some time. An
                                    American Demonology is a biography of Captain Edward Ruppelt, a United
                                    States Air Force officer who ran Project Blue Book, the US Government UFO
                                    Project. Ruppelt went on to write The Report on Unidentified Flying
                                    Objects, arguably the most important UFO book ever written. Bennett delves
                                    into the work and the mindset of this extraordinary character, and in
                                    doing so says much about UFOs, ufology, and America in the Fifties. Jerome
                                    Clark wrote the foreword and I wrote the introduction. Bennett is an
                                    experienced biographer whose previous subjects have been Charles Fort and
                                    George Adamski. More on An American Demonology soon.

                                    Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                                    © Knight International
                                    www.knight-intl.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 4, 2005
                                      November 2005

                                      Weird World
                                      NICK POPE

                                      http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/November_2005/235.cntns

                                      Welcome to the November 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                                      abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                                      weird and the wonderful.

                                      Italian UFO Conference

                                      I have recently returned from Italy where I spoke at a UFO conference held
                                      at the University of Calabria. Organised by highly respected Italian
                                      ufologist Roberto Pinotti, the conference was an interesting mix of SETI,
                                      ufology and exopolitics. Accordingly, speakers ranged from Alexander
                                      Zaitsev and Claudio Maccone through to Monsignor Corrado Balducci and
                                      Michael Salla. For me, it was a nice opportunity to catch up with old
                                      friends such as Budd Hopkins and Roger Leir, among others.

                                      Threshold

                                      Threshold is an exciting new sci-fi show that is getting a lot of people
                                      talking. The lead character is a worst-case scenario planner, paid to
                                      think the unthinkable. When an unidentified object enters the atmosphere
                                      and encounters a trawler, she puts together a mixed team of experts and
                                      investigates. With the crew either dead or missing, and with strange
                                      events occurring on the mainland, time is running out. Watch out for more
                                      about this exciting new series, already running on CBS in America, and
                                      airing on Sky One in the UK, from November.

                                      The Real 4400

                                      The 4400 is another UFO-related sci-fi series still running and still
                                      attracting a lot of interest and comment, with its story of 4400 abductees
                                      who are returned to Earth with strange powers. The Real 4400 is a
                                      documentary I was involved in, focusing on the alien abduction mystery. It
                                      aired on Sky One on October 19, but is being repeated. The 4400 itself
                                      continues to run on the USA network in America and on Sky One in the UK.

                                      The Science of Aliens

                                      A new exhibition called The Science of Aliens has recently opened at the
                                      Science Museum. The exhibition covers a wide range of areas, including
                                      SETI and speculation as the what alien life might be like, but includes
                                      some material about UFOs and alien abductions. Check out
                                      http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/aliens/ for details of the exhibition. I
                                      took part in a debate organised as part of this event and am doing some
                                      other work to help promote the exhibition. This is a welcome opportunity to

                                      Nick Pope Interview Online

                                      I gave one of the most extensive and wide-ranging interviews I have given
                                      in recent years on the Ministry of Defence UFO Project to Astraea Magazine
                                      & Web Radio. This forms part of a growing archive of interviews on a wide
                                      range of paranormal, mysterious and esoteric subjects, ranging from UFOs
                                      and Freemasonry through to Jack the Ripper. Check out
                                      http://www.astraeamagazine.com/radio.php for details of the interviews and
                                      http://www.astraeamagazine.com/ for details of the magazine.

                                      Laughlin UFO Conference

                                      The 15th Annual International UFO Congress will be held in Laughlin,
                                      Nevada, from February 26 - March 4, 2006. This really is the biggest UFO
                                      conference in the world, and speakers include Jim Marrs, Dolores Cannon,
                                      William Hamilton, Donald Ware and many more besides. Check out
                                      www.ufocongress.com for the details.

                                      UFO Conference in Hawaii

                                      One of the most beautiful and exotic locations in the world will play host
                                      to a UFO conference next year. Organised by Michael Salla, the event will
                                      focus on exopolitics and will feature speakers such as Alfred Webre, Paola
                                      Harris and Salla himself. The conference lasts from June 9 - 11, 2006.
                                      Check out www.exopoliticsinstitute.org for the details.

                                      Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                                      © Knight International
                                      www.knight-intl.com
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 2, 2005
                                        December 2005 - January 2006

                                        Weird World
                                        NICK POPE

                                        http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/December_2005_-_January_2006/243.cntns

                                        Welcome to the joint December 2005 and January 2006 round up of news and
                                        views on UFOs, alien abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the
                                        unexplained, the weird and the wonderful.

                                        Rendlesham Forest UFO Incident - 25th Anniversary

                                        Christmas and the New Year sees the 25th anniversary of the Rendlesham
                                        Forest UFO incident and the subsequent official investigation. This is the
                                        most compelling UFO encounter ever to have taken place in Britain and has
                                        generated a massive amount of interest not just from UFO researchers but
                                        from the media and the public. There are several books on the incident,
                                        the best known of which is You Can't Tell The People, authored by Hot
                                        Gossip Editor in Chief Georgina Bruni. The title reflects a conversation
                                        Georgina had with former PM Baroness Thatcher at a charity function in
                                        1997, when they were discussing UFOs. Baroness Thatcher said "you can't
                                        tell the people" in response to a question Georgina posed about UFOs, but
                                        refused to elaborate on her cryptic remark. Various events are planned to
                                        mark the 25th anniversary, including a vigil and skywatch at RAF
                                        Bentwaters, a commemorative event organised by the Forestry Commission,
                                        and various media features.

                                        Daily Express Rendlesham Article

                                        On Saturday November 19 the Daily Express carried a major, double page
                                        feature on the Rendlesham Forest incident. I was pleased about this, not
                                        least because I wrote it. The paper had commissioned the 2000 word article
                                        from me the week before and was therefore the first newspaper to run the
                                        story in the run up to the anniversary. UFO researchers often complain
                                        that the media misrepresent ufology or take their comments out of context.
                                        Obtaining a commission gets around these problems and the only changes to
                                        my article were minor editorial ones. I am pleased to have been able to
                                        play a part in kick starting the media interest in the anniversary. The
                                        article has generated much wider interest and Georgina Bruni and I have
                                        already conducted a live interview on BBC Radio Suffolk. December and
                                        January will see further media features on this intriguing case.

                                        The Material World

                                        The prestigious BBC Radio 4 science programme The Material World recently
                                        ran a feature on the alien abduction phenomenon, with Professor Chris
                                        French and I debating the subject with presenter Quentin Cooper. Needless
                                        to say, it is a major coup to get the subject discussed on such a
                                        mainstream programme. Click on http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/
                                        science/thematerialworld_20051103.shtml to listen to the show.

                                        California Lecture Tour

                                        I have just returned from a brief lecture tour in California, where I gave
                                        talks in Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego. I had a hectic schedule
                                        but very much welcomed the chance to promote British ufology to American
                                        audiences, meet some old friends and meet some new ones. Click on
                                        www.mufonla.com/videoorder.htm for details of how to order the 2 hour DVD
                                        of my lecture, which was entitled The Real X-Files: The Inside Story of
                                        the British Government's UFO Project.

                                        Sopranos

                                        I do not normally do restaurant reviews, and this is more by way of a
                                        thank you. During my recent lecture tour in California I arrived quite
                                        late at my hotel in Costa Mesa. I looked around the neighbourhood, but
                                        there was only one restaurant within walking distance. I went in and
                                        ordered a beer. It had been a long day and I was still recovering from my
                                        ten hour flight to Los Angeles. Unfortunately, the kitchen had closed and
                                        the staff were clearing up. I was resigning myself to the situation when
                                        the manager realised that I had been travelling all day and had come from
                                        the UK. Five minutes later, a delicious and piping hot plate of spaghetti
                                        and meatballs appeared, while the manager stayed on after hours, until I
                                        finished. So thank you Sopranos, for your great food and hospitality.
                                        Check www.sopranoseatery.com for details. As I arrived, two regulars were
                                        leaving. They said the food was fantastic and I should eat there again. I
                                        am only sorry that, because of my schedule, I never got the chance.

                                        Threshold

                                        Threshold is an exciting new science fiction show that is getting a lot of
                                        people talking. It is running on CBS in America and on Sky One in the UK.
                                        The lead character is Molly Caffrey, a worst-case scenario planner, paid
                                        to think the unthinkable. When an unidentified object enters the
                                        atmosphere and encounters a trawler, the woman who wrote the contingency
                                        plan is tasked by the US Government with running the operation to deal
                                        with the situation. She puts together a mixed team of experts and
                                        investigates. With the trawler crew either dead or missing and with
                                        strange events occurring on the mainland, time is running out. The media
                                        in the UK have drawn parallels between Molly Caffrey and me and I have
                                        given a number of interviews based around the question, what would we do
                                        if aliens really invaded? The media wanted to know about the real
                                        worst-case scenario planner thought of the series, and what my plan was. I
                                        helped in so far as I could, though I was reluctant to go into too many
                                        details.

                                        The Science of Aliens

                                        A new exhibition called The Science of Aliens has recently opened at the
                                        Science Museum. The exhibition covers a wide range of areas, including
                                        SETI and speculation as the what alien life might be like, but includes
                                        some material about UFOs and alien abductions. Check out
                                        http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/aliens/ for details of the exhibition. I
                                        took part in a debate organised as part of this event and am doing some
                                        other work to help promote the exhibition.

                                        An American Demonology

                                        Now published and written by the self-styled bad man of ufology comes
                                        possibly one of the most important UFO books to have hit the bookshelves
                                        for some time. An American Demonology is a biography of Captain Edward
                                        Ruppelt, a United States Air Force officer who ran Project Blue Book, the
                                        US Government UFO Project. Ruppelt went on to write The Report on
                                        Unidentified Flying Objects, arguably the most important UFO book ever
                                        written. Bennett delves into the work and the mindset of this
                                        extraordinary character and in doing so says much about UFOs, ufology and
                                        America in the Fifties. Jerome Clark wrote the foreword and I wrote the
                                        introduction. Bennett is an experienced biographer whose previous subjects
                                        have been Charles Fort and George Adamski. Check out Amazon and all the
                                        other usual book sites for details of how to order.

                                        Crop Circle Sale

                                        Crop circle researcher Colin Andrews is selling his extensive database and
                                        archive, covering 22 years of research into the crop circle mystery. The
                                        collection is up for sale on eBay. This has itself generated much debate
                                        among crop circle researchers and ufologists, and an article in the
                                        Western Daily Press, to which Colin Andrews took great exception. Check
                                        out www.cropcircleinfo.com for details of the auction.

                                        Seasons Greetings

                                        Finally, I would like to wish all my readers a Merry Christmas and a Happy
                                        New Year. In particular, my thoughts are with the brave men and women
                                        currently serving with British, American and other allied Forces in Iraq,

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 13, 2006
                                          February 2006

                                          Weird World
                                          NICK POPE

                                          http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/February_2006/252.cntns

                                          Welcome to the February 2006 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                                          abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                                          weird and the wonderful.

                                          The Rendlesham Forest UFO Case

                                          There was extensive media coverage of the 25th anniversary of the
                                          Rendlesham Forest UFO incident, which occurred over the Christmas period
                                          in 1980. This is the most compelling UFO encounter ever to have taken
                                          place in Britain and has generated a massive amount of interest not just
                                          from UFO researchers but from the media and the public. There are several
                                          books on the incident, the best known of which is You Can't Tell The
                                          People, authored by Hot Gossip Editor in Chief Georgina Bruni. The 25th
                                          anniversary media coverage included a two page article that I was
                                          commissioned to write for the Daily Express, a major feature in The Sun,
                                          national radio features on BBC Radio Five Live and Talk Sport, and a whole
                                          host of other regional newspaper and radio coverage. I also did an outside
                                          broadcast live from the forest for the new Channel 4 breakfast show,
                                          Morning Glory.

                                          Left At East Gate

                                          The other well known book on the Rendlesham Forest UFO incident is Left at
                                          East Gate, co-authored by Larry Warren and Peter Robbins. This book has
                                          recently been updated and republished by Cosimo-on-Demand. Order through
                                          Amazon or all the other usual sites for books, making sure that you get
                                          hold of the new, updated version. Peter Robbins spent much of December in
                                          the UK and gave a number of lectures about the Rendlesham Forest incident
                                          to UFO groups around the country, and spent the 25th anniversary itself in
                                          the forest with Larry Warren and die-hard UFO enthusiasts who braved
                                          sub-zero temperatures to mark the event.

                                          Kittie Klaw

                                          I recently met up with one of the most extraordinary paranormal
                                          investigators in the UK, the multi-talented Kittie Klaw. As well as being
                                          an expert on all matters paranormal and psychic, Kittie is involved in a
                                          wide range of dancing, acting and modelling. One of her ventures is the
                                          Ministry of Burlesque, currently launching Battle of Burlesque - a sort of
                                          Search for a Star for the world of glamorous cabaret performers. Check out
                                          www.ministryofburlesque.com for the details of this series of events and
                                          check out www.kittieklaw.com for more information about this
                                          extraordinarily talented performer. Kittie and I decided that a little
                                          collaboration would be in order, on various projects, so watch this space.
                                          Ministry of Defence meets Ministry of Burlesque. Interesting.

                                          Britain's Roswell

                                          OK, this is yet another story about the Rendlesham Forest UFO incident,
                                          but I make no apologies, because this has been a massive story here in the
                                          UK over recent weeks. There are numerous documentaries on the subject,
                                          including the Sci-Fi Channel show UFO Invasion at Rendlesham. Now The
                                          History Channel have a new show on the incident, featuring Charles Halt,
                                          James Penniston, John Burroughs, Georgina Bruni, Peter Robbins, Larry
                                          Warren and myself, among others. The documentary was shown first last
                                          month, but has been repeated several times. Check your TV schedules for
                                          details.

                                          Dana Centre

                                          The Dana Centre at the Science Museum are holding another event that will
                                          cover UFOs and aliens. Taking place from 6pm through to 11pm on Friday 17
                                          February, the event is free, but booking is essential. The Dana Centre is
                                          all about making science fun and making people think about contemporary
                                          scientific issues. This is the third of these Science Museum events in
                                          which I have participated and I welcome the fact that they are prepared
                                          increasingly to look at featuring discussions, debates and events on alien
                                          life, UFOs and abductions. It is a welcome sign that such subjects are
                                          becoming more mainstream. At the last such event, the TV cameras turned up
                                          and I appeared live on London Tonight, so watch this space. Check out
                                          www.danacentre.org.uk for details out the event and www.danacentre.org.uk
                                          for details of the Dana Centre and some of their other events.

                                          The World's Strangest UFO Stories

                                          A new series looking at UFOs has started on the Discovery Channel here in
                                          the UK. The World's Strangest UFO Stories started on 15 January and will
                                          run for several weeks on Sunday evenings, at 10pm, examining various weird
                                          and wonderful UFO incidents. Stories featured include the incredible
                                          claims of jazz singer Pamela Stonebrook, who says that she has had sex
                                          with a six foot tall reptilian extraterrestrial. Check TV listings for the
                                          Discovery Channel series, and www.intergalacticdiva.com for information
                                          about Pamela Stonebrook.

                                          Off The Page

                                          I recently recorded an edition of the prestigious BBC Radio 4 show, Off
                                          The Page, where I debated the question 'Are We Alone?'. The programme airs
                                          on Friday nights at 11pm and my show will probably be played on Friday 3
                                          February. Yet another example of discussions about UFOs getting an
                                          increasingly mainstream and Establishment audience.

                                          Invasion

                                          Mainstream television interest in all things alien continues with Channel
                                          4 showing the new US cult sci-fi series Invasion. The series begins with a
                                          hurricane in Florida, strange lights in the sky, and the mysterious
                                          involvement of the United States Air Force. As the series unfolds,
                                          weirdness and paranoia increase, as the small community of Homestead
                                          struggles to rebuild itself. But is Homestead the only place in danger, or
                                          is the entire human race in peril?

                                          Phenomena Magazine

                                          For anyone with an interest in UFOs, the unexplained, the paranormal, the
                                          mysterious and the esoteric, Phenomena Magazine is well worth your time.
                                          Updated daily by the prolific editor Robin Crookshank-Hilton, the site is
                                          packed full of interesting news stories, in depth features and interviews.
                                          Check http://phenomena.cinescape.com for the magazine, and
                                          http://phenomena.cinescape.com/0/Editorial.asp (or search for my name once
                                          in the site) for probably the lengthiest interview I have given in recent
                                          years.

                                          Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                                          © Knight International
                                          www.knight-intl.com