FWD: Re: [lunascan] MARS CLIMATE ORBITER TEAM FINDS LIKELY CAUSE OF LOSS

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 1999
      From: LanFleming@...
      Subject: Re: [lunascan] MARS CLIMATE ORBITER TEAM FINDS LIKELY CAUSE OF LOSS

      In a message dated 10/1/99 6:25:51 AM, slk@... writes:

      <<For the "explanation" to work NASA would have had trouble from day
      one. And as I said before, we're not new at this. In fact we've gotten
      pretty darned good.>>

      An article in today's paper says that "the errors were repeated throughout
      four major maneuvers and other smaller steerings during the Clime Orbiter's
      jounrey..." The basic mistake was that Lockheed-Martin calculated rocket
      thrust in terms of pounds of thrust while JPL used the metric unit of force,
      newtons. It's very strange that they didn't notice an error long before. I'm
      surprised that the spacecraft even got close enough to Mars to hit it if
      there were major navigational errors in the mission. Even extremely small
      errors early on can lead to major deviations from course later in the mission
      if left uncorrected.

      THE LUNASCAN PROJECT (TLP): An Earth-Based Telescopic Imaging (EBTI)
      program using live and recorded CCD technology to document and record
      Lunar Transient Phenomena (TLPs).

      The Lunascan Project HomePage
      http://www.evansville.net/~slk/lshomepage.html

      The Project's Mission Statement :