On Improbable Claims - van Flandern Mark's 2 cents

  • Harrison, Mark
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 1999
      ***** Marks replies*****
      From: Frits Westra <fwestra@...>

      Tom van Flandern's complete report from Meta Research:

      http://www.metaresearch.org/announce/on-improbable-claims.htm

      Conclusion:

      "Based on the best available high-resolution,
      contrast-enhanced Mars
      Global Surveyor image and the best old Viking images, the
      "Face" mesa
      contains regularity, angularity, symmetry, and the
      fulfillment of a
      priori predictions based on the artificiality hypothesis
      such as the
      appearance of nostrils in the nose, mouth shaping just under
      the nose,
      an eyebrow over the eye socket, a pupil in the eye socket, a
      separated
      vertical enclosure of the whole mesa with near perfect
      symmetry and
      corners, a crest over the headpiece, and the almost complete
      absence
      of extraneous or non-contributing features. These enhance
      earlier
      findings of bilateral symmetry, 3-D contouring
      ******* I have seen an enhancement of the face that shown
      the face divided bilaterally with mirror images.
      One side (the lighted side) looked really human-face like
      but the other ( shaded side ) was feline-face like. The idea was to show a
      correlation between the sphinx and the face. The bottom line the face is far
      from lacking in "non-contributing features" or one of the studies is in
      error. *******

      , a lack of fractal
      features that are the trademark of natural objects
      ****** Where does this data come from? It would be
      impossible to determine this for certain with the existing data because the
      resolution is not nearly good enough*****
      plus a culturally
      significant location on the old martian equator and a
      culturally
      significant upright north-south orientation.
      ****** If we are to believe that these objects were
      constructed by an advanced culture to exacting measurements and were meant
      to point to each other across millions of miles do you think they could do
      better than "significant"?
      I do. It is even more relevant when you consider Mars small
      size would make the errors more relevant. *****

      In my considered opinion,
      there is no longer room for reasonable doubt of the
      artificial origin
      of the face mesa, and I've never concluded "no room for
      reasonable
      doubt" about anything before in my 35-year scientific
      career."

      Tom van Flandern
      ****** Who is this guy? What are his credentials? *****
      Support AND USE the research web sites by sending donations
      to:
      Web Site, 618 Davis Drive, Mt. Vernon, IN 47620
      http://www.evansville.net/~slk/nicap.html
      http://www.evansville.net/~slk/lshomepage.html
      ****** Send money on this piece of shoddy information ? My
      intelligence is insulted.*****
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 1999
        From: "Harrison, Mark" <MHarrison@...>
        On 1999-10-01 ufonet@onelist.com said:

        -[snipped for brevity]-----

        >In my considered opinion,
        >there is no longer room for reasonable doubt of the
        >artificial origin
        >of the face mesa, and I've never concluded "no room for
        >reasonable
        >doubt" about anything before in my 35-year scientific
        >career."
        >Tom van Flandern

        >****** Who is this guy? What are his credentials? *****

        Hello Mark. Here's a link to some background info on Van Flandern.
        Never heard of him either...

        http://www.metaresearch.org/vanflandern.htm

        Also check out their homepage:

        http://www.metaresearch.org/homepage.htm