FWD: Re: [lunascan] MARS CLIMATE ORBITER TEAM FINDS LIKELY CAUSE OF LOSS

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 1999
      From: Gord Tibbles <unifiedmind@...>
      To: lunascan@...
      Subject: Re: [lunascan] MARS CLIMATE ORBITER TEAM FINDS LIKELY CAUSE
      OF LOSS

      They must be getting a lot of flack. On the most recent news
      update, it was narrowed down to one command sent by one person
      during the command sequence initiating the orbit insertion. On an
      automated mission where maneuvers are planned months in advance, and
      most are preprogrammed months in advance, you'd think this guy or
      gal would have had fingers tapping out more than one sequenced
      event. Wonder if they'll offer up a sacrificial lamb to quiet the
      furor? Or do they still keep faux patriotic types on the shelf,
      ready to sacrifice everything for a lie? -Gordon

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 1999
        From: LanFleming@...
        Subject: Re: [lunascan] MARS CLIMATE ORBITER TEAM FINDS LIKELY CAUSE OF LOSS

        In a message dated 10/1/99 6:25:51 AM, slk@... writes:

        <<For the "explanation" to work NASA would have had trouble from day
        one. And as I said before, we're not new at this. In fact we've gotten
        pretty darned good.>>

        An article in today's paper says that "the errors were repeated throughout
        four major maneuvers and other smaller steerings during the Clime Orbiter's
        jounrey..." The basic mistake was that Lockheed-Martin calculated rocket
        thrust in terms of pounds of thrust while JPL used the metric unit of force,
        newtons. It's very strange that they didn't notice an error long before. I'm
        surprised that the spacecraft even got close enough to Mars to hit it if
        there were major navigational errors in the mission. Even extremely small
        errors early on can lead to major deviations from course later in the mission
        if left uncorrected.