Professor of Astronomy Proposes Search For Local ET's

  • Stig Agermose
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 1999
      Source: National Institute for Discovery Science,

      (winners of essay competition, many interesting items)

      (this one, of which I'm bringing the abstract only).

      NIDS received 46 essays during the first round of the competition. The
      seven judges agreed that the following essays were the winners (in no
      particular order):]

      The Reenchantment of the Solar System:
      A Proposed Search for Local ET�s

      Dr. Gregory Lee Matloff

      Adjunct Professor of Physics and Astronomy, NYU, CUNY, Pace University, The
      New School, SUNY

      Co-author (with E. Mallove) of The Starflight Handbook, Wiley, NY (1989),
      Fellow of The British Interplanetary Society
      Member of the Interstellar Exploration Subcommittee, International
      Academy�of Astronautics

      Dr. Gregory L. Matloff
      417 Greene Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11216
      phone/fax: (718) 638-7586

      It is argued using a conservative approach to interstellar travel that
      intelligent extraterrestrials (ET�s) may be present in our solar system,
      living in world ships that have colonized cometary or asteroidal objects
      during the last billion years. The originating star systems for these
      advanced beings could be solar-type stars that fortuitously approach our
      Sun within a light year or so at intervals of about a million years or
      nearby stars that have left the main sequence, prompting interstellar
      migration. If we are indeed within such a "Dyson Sphere" of artificial
      worldlets, we could detect their presence through astronomical means since
      a space habitat will emit more infrared radiation than a like-sized comet
      or asteroid. Interestingly, several Kuiper-Belt objects have recently been
      found to have an unexpected and substantial red excess. It is argued that,
      in opposition to the assumptions of current SETI searches, the very
      advanced occupants of this possible local Dyson Sphere may have as little
      interest in beaming radio signals in our direction as we do in
      communicating with termites. A research program is proposed whereby large
      and small college observatories would routinely monitor the spectral
      irradiances of Near Earth and Kuiper Belt objects while a concurrent
      theoretical effort models the spectral characteristics of various proposed
      space habitats. Much of the observational work, at least, could be
      dovetailed with projects designed to detect Near-Earth Objects (NEO�s) that
      might impact Earth in the future. Possible strategies and protocols for
      direct contact, requiring humans to be the active contactees are presented
      to be considered for use if such intelligent ET�s are discovered within our
      solar system.