The New Madrid Seismic Zone this week

  • nathaniel x vance
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21, 2013
      The New Madrid Seismic Zone this week
      Oklahoma's Earthquake Swarms: 04/17/13
      OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - Tiny tremors shaking portions of central Oklahoma have proved more annoying than threatening but are still rattling homes and interrupting sleep.
      Geologists aren't sure why the area around Arcadia and Luther is seeing an uptick in seismic activity. Some have speculated injection wells from the oil & gas industry could be contributing to the problem, while others say it's a natural phenomenon.
      Since Tuesday, more than 16 minor temblors have been recorded in the region. The strongest quakes have ranged from magnitude 2.8 to 4.3.
      In late 2011, the state's strongest quake ever was centered east of Luther in the Sparks community. It was magnitude 5.6 and damaged a spire at St. Gregory's University in Shawnee.
      Luther Mayor Cecelia Taft is telling her residents to hang on.
      http://vimeo.com/64253221

    • nathaniel x vance
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 21, 2013
        The New Madrid Seismic Zone this week
        How big is big as in the New Madrid Seismic Zone? And, in outer space, is there really such a thing as a speed limit (nothing can travel faster than the speed of light theory) on how fast we can travel??
        If anyone thinks that they know the answer to either of these questions, please, please feel free to share them with this group.
        Thanks
        PEMISCOT COUNTY, MO. - the New Madrid Seismic Zone this week have people wondering if a big earthquake could be coming.
        Reporter - Kendall Downing Story Created: Fri Apr 5, 2013 4:27 PM
        The two are considered minor. No damage has been reported from either.
        Thursday night's quake struck around 7:27 local time. It was centered about six miles northeast of Caruthersville,
        Missouri and measured a 2.7 on the Richter Scale. Tuesday night a similar quake hit near Portageville, Missouri.
        The U.S. Geological Survey considers the New Madrid Seismic Zone the most active in North America east of the Rockies.
        But it's been about 100 years since a major earthquake hit this area. Still, the two recent quakes are leaving behind some rattled nerves.
        The only thing getting shaken Friday in Caruthersville, Missouri is the salad at Grandad's Deli.
        "It's a scary thought," said Sharon Russell, owner.
        Russell said they were busy Thursday night and didn't notice the tremor.
        "We were kind of rocking in this little place last night, so we didn't feel it," she said.
        But now, the week's two tremors are the talk of the town. Alexis Avis shook with the first.
        "The first one I felt, I was in bed. And I thought I could tell it was an earthquake," she said.

        http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/home/ticker/Earthquakes-rattle-nerves-in-local-area-201703811.html