Re: MUFON

  • sgtwal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2011
      I am not a member of MUFON, and therefore take this for what its worth.
      Within any organization there are positions that influence doctrine and
      carry out policy. These positions can take the organization in directions
      that can be contrary to the goals, and best interests of the group. They can
      also require a certain level of expertise and skills not always found in
      the average person.
      Do you want a director who may influence the work of the group elected
      in a popularity contest? Do you want that person's skills to be judged by a
      few years as a member, or should there be more to the process.
      Perhaps those positions that involve field work or supervision need a
      nomination process that requires an outline of their experience and background.
      Another option is to allow the board to appoint these people. Which
      assumes that the board its self is loyal to the bylaws and goals of the group.
      I have followed these discussions with at best mild interest as I do
      not have a "dog in the fight", but it seems to me, an outsider, that a
      driving force among the "Rebels" is the organization's unwillingness to publicly
      support the pet theories of the minority. And to a lessor degree to
      release to the public the hard won data the group has in its archives.
      I see this in the same light as other fights in other groups. For
      example in the Sierra Club one of the founders was same Watson who later started
      the Sea Shepards. He led a faction that tried to take the SC in a more
      radical direction before he went off on his own. Many more radical groups
      started as unaffected members of more traditional groups who wanted to move in a
      different direction.
      As I understand the MUFON methods their information is collected from
      people who would rather not go public with their experiences. Releasing their
      reports without all the details will be like the so often attacked USAF
      and other government documents that have no value after the censors pen has
      redacted all the information. Releasing the details will violate the
      observers desire for privacy.
      What is more important to MUFON being able to get information that can
      be archived or getting stories to have published in the tabloids? If MUFON
      moves to release the reports will this cause a loss of credibility and a
      shutting off of the flow of reports?
      Would it just be better for all involved to start another group with the
      several members who wish to change directions?