I Changed my Article "Problems with Ferm's Paradox"

  • Bill M. Tracer
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29 3:25 AM
      I had the privilege of meeting Stanton Freedman, recently. I found him a thoughtful and pragmatic man, a man of integrity, and clarity of thought. I was even more honored to see him read, with great interest, a couple of my articles, I had printed out. What a delightful surprise it was for me to learn that he had actually been a student of Enrico Fermi, the subject of one of my recent articles. Stanton felt that Professor Fermi's question, "Where is everybody?" has often been misunderstood. He pointed out that Professor Fermi used the Socratic method of teaching, with questions. To teach with questions causes the student to ponder the answers and seek them out. It is a motivational method of teaching that pushes the student into teaching him or herself.

      Bearing that in mind, I came to feel a keen desire to revisit my recent article, Problems with Fermi's Paradox found at: http://tinyurl.com/bxdofj, and do some editing to reflect this new found knowledge. Its amazing how little actually had to be changed, but I e-mailed my online editor, and submitted the appropriate changes, which are now in place online.

      When looking back through it, I even found a couple of errors we'd let slip through before, and I fixed those while we were at it. Thanks to Stanton Freedman, this article stands as a much stronger work, now.

      By looking at Fermi's Paradox as the result of a misunderstood question, we suddenly find that the paradox itself is a matter of interpretation. It's true that Professor Fermi never intended his question as a paradox. It was only later that others lifted to such a height. By shifting my focus from Professor Fermi himself, I find it is those who interpret his question as a paradox who possess the problematic assumptions. When I edited the article, it was with that consideration in mind.

      Be Well,

      Bill

      of

      Bill M. Tracer Studio, producing digital & multimedia art for the 21st century & beyond

      See my Gallery at: http://billmtracerstudio.50megs.com/

      I've got a new DeviantART Gallery at: http://billmtracer.deviantart.com/gallery/

      See page one of my Images Published on Picable at: http://tinyurl.com/5dz9zb

      Just Click Thumbnail to Enlarge