New Jersey lights

  • Ed Stamm
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2009
      Video of lights over New Jersey, January 5th:

      http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=D2xSXA67AX0

      "It was unsettling for sure," said Cindy Hurley. "It was something
      you've never seen before, and a very strange pattern."

      Eleven-year-old Kristin was the first to spot them, a group of three
      lights together, and two lights together, seen in the horizon through
      the trees. "I looked up outside. I was really scared and saw five red
      lights," she said.

      The family all went out onto their deck to look at the strange sight.
      Paul Hurley, a pilot who works at Morristown Airport, said they
      weren't planes.

      "I've been in aviation for 20 years and never seen anything like it,"
      he told CBS 2.

      Paul was one of several people who e-mailed WCBSTV.com after
      witnessing the lights.

      "Red lights in the sky over the Morristown-Morris Township area, 5 red
      lights in a weird pattern over the area," one viewer wrote.

      "The formation of 5 lights were first noticed over Cedar Knolls and
      then as they approached the Madison/Morris Township border the rear
      half of the formation slowly faded and appeared to drop from the sky
      and then the front part of the formation went out one by one," wrote
      another.

      At 8:28, the Hanover Township police received the first of seven 911
      calls.

      "It looks like flares attached to balloons," said a caller.

      Paul Hurley, who called the Morristown Airport control tower, says the
      lights had also been spotted from there, and they caused no
      interference with flight operations. Between those officials and the
      Morristown Police, the best guess as to what the lights were: nothing
      more than a prank, roadside flares attached to helium balloons. Yet,
      they left rather quickly.

      "It like, it took off, very strange," said Paul.

      There's been no report of any recovered, and police don't know who
      released them.