Re: [UFOnet] Re: Update on UFO Sighting of 19 May 2008, Surry Nuclear Power S...

  • HerbertRNewman@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2008
      In a message dated 11/11/2008 11:13:57 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      timelooper@... writes:

      Thanks for the support Herb. Don't worry about me, I don't dissuade
      easily.

      I see that we're "neighbors." Keep looking at the sky. A friend or
      mine lives down your way and she told me that she saw a stationary
      black triangle high in the sky not too far from naval base a few
      months back. Friends of hers said it was a stealth aircraft, but I
      pointed out to her that they are jet aircraft without hovering
      capability. It look like"they" are very interested in our military as
      well.

      Bob

      ____________________________________

      Bob, here in the section of Norfolk where I live (I can see Newport News and
      Hampton and the Eastern Shore) I'm completely SURROUNDED by military bases.
      I spend a LOT of time looking at the sky ... mostly military aircraft and
      planes heading for or leaving Norfolk International Airport ... but every ONCE
      in a while ... yeah ... there's something ELSE up there ... usually kinda
      "hiding" behind the clouds. Which is really weird, because radar see THROUGH
      clouds. Go figure.

      Herb

      Holiday needs. Search Now.
      -aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)

    • Michael Flora
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2008
        Hello Bob, can you refer us to an online version of your report?

        Regards,
        Michael Flora

        On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:30 AM, <HerbertRNewman@...> wrote:

        > In a message dated 11/11/2008 11:13:57 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        > timelooper@... writes:
        >
        > Thanks for the support Herb. Don't worry about me, I don't dissuade
        > easily.
        >
        > I see that we're "neighbors." Keep looking at the sky. A friend or
        > mine lives down your way and she told me that she saw a stationary
        > black triangle high in the sky not too far from naval base a few
        > months back. Friends of hers said it was a stealth aircraft, but I
        > pointed out to her that they are jet aircraft without hovering
        > capability. It look like"they" are very interested in our military as
        > well.
        >
        > Bob
        >
        > ____________________________________
        >
        > Bob, here in the section of Norfolk where I live (I can see Newport News and
        > Hampton and the Eastern Shore) I'm completely SURROUNDED by military bases.
        > I spend a LOT of time looking at the sky ... mostly military aircraft and
        > planes heading for or leaving Norfolk International Airport ... but every
        > ONCE
        > in a while ... yeah ... there's something ELSE up there ... usually kinda
        > "hiding" behind the clouds. Which is really weird, because radar see THROUGH
        > clouds. Go figure.
        >
        > Herb
        >
        > **************AOL Search: Your one stop for directions, recipes and all
        > other
        > Holiday needs. Search Now.
        > (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212792382x1200798498/aol?redir=http://searchblog.aol.com/2008/11/04/happy-holidays-from
        > -aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)

      • timelooper
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 11, 2008
          Michael,

          Here is an updated version of my sighting report. I've edited it a bit
          for clarity and, upon reflection, I realize that that in the heated
          aftermath of my initial report, I was not as coherent or specific as I
          should have been. I can assure you that my emotions were running high
          that day.

          UFO Sighted Near Surry Nuclear Power Station, Surry Co., VA
          approx. 12:20 to 12:40 pm, 19 May 2008

          At about 12:20 pm, 19 May 2008, I observed what appeared to be a very
          large, elongated metallic craft hovering very near the Surry Nuclear
          Power Station in southeast Virginia. This was a particularly windy
          day. A SW wind was blowing at a steady 25 mph, with gusts up to 40-45
          mph. Not the best day for cycling, but it was clear and crisp and
          there were no clouds to speak of. Perhaps because of the wind there
          were no aircraft or birds in the sky. There was some vehicular traffic
          on the road, but it was very light.

          I was riding my bicycle east on the National Park Road known as the
          Colonial Parkway, and was about a mile from Jamestown Island, when I
          spotted a large, dark gray object hovering over the north bank of the
          James River. It was directly in front of me and I had an excellent
          view of it through the gap in the trees that line the road. I could
          not have been more surprised if I had suddenly seen a skyscraper
          appear from out of nowhere. From my vantage point it appeared to be
          moving from east to west at a very slow speed. In military parlance it
          was flying "low and slow." I couldn't gauge its size at first, but I
          could see that it was extremely large. At first I thought it may have
          been a large kite because families often come out to fly their kites
          on the beaches when the winds are good. But something about it did not
          look at all kite-like. Too big, too dark. From this angle it looked
          like a rectangle with rounded corners.

          Because I was on my bicycle, and it was directly in my line of sight,
          I could not take my eyes off of it. As I stared at it, I was convinced
          that I could make out three, or perhaps four, horizontal lines running
          around the front of the object. These appeared to be black. I then
          decided it was much too large to be a kite. An advertising blimp,
          perhaps? But it had no writing on it that I could see. Nor could I
          hear a sound or see a crew cabin on its underside. The object then
          suddenly moved off to my right. Its progress was obstructed by trees.

          A few minutes later I came to a meadow adjacent the water's edge and
          saw that the object had by now sailed completely across the river and
          was now very near the Surry Nuclear Power Station on the far shore. It
          is about three miles across the channel from my vantage point. So, it
          must have moved very quickly indeed. It was now just below the high
          bluff that rises up to the station's twin reactor domes (these are
          quite distinctive and rise well above the treeline). The craft was at
          least as large as they are, and possibly larger. By this time the
          object was moving very slowly against the wind, left to right. Its
          upper surface caught the sunlight and reflected brightly like a mirror
          or a sheet of aluminum foil. Its underside was shadowy and dark. I
          still wondered if it might be a blimp or a dirigible, but the shape
          did not seem right. A good analogy would be a slightly flattened and
          elongated football, but with the front and back ends being rounded,
          not pointy. Because it was so windy it did not seem like a good day to
          take a blimp up. And, with security so high these days it did not seem
          logical to me that anyone would be permitted to get that close to a
          nuclear power station. Over the years I have seen military helicopters
          on training missions over the river, but even they appear to keep a
          wide berth of the power plant.

          I have eliminated helicopters and small aircraft because, as I say,
          this object was hovering/drifting and appeared to be making a very
          leisurely circuit of the power plant. It did not have any sharp edges,
          rotors, wings or tail. It made no sound at all. It was completely
          smooth as far as I could tell. I walked my bike down to the water's
          edge to see if I could get a better look at it, but without binoculars
          I couldn't make out any other useful details. I watched it like this
          for about 15 minutes. In all that time it remained just beyond the
          perimeter of the power station, holding its own against the wind, but
          always remaining just below tree level. (The power plant is on a
          steep, sandy bluff rising from the river and is surrounded by a dense
          thicket of trees).

          At this point I made what I now consider to be a mistake. I decided to
          hurry home, grab my binoculars and camera and see if I might get a
          better look. It took me about ten minutes to get home from the 31 km
          marker on the parkway and another fifteen to return to the river by
          car. But, by the time I returned the object was gone. I drove up and
          down the parkway for a long while hoping that it might have drifted
          elsewhere, but the sky was empty except for a few clouds.

          Now, I wish I had stayed until it left. It would have been very
          interesting to see which way it went. Or how it went.

          --- In ufonet@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Flora" <infinet.llc@...> wrote:

          > Hello Bob, can you refer us to an online version of your report?
          >
          > Regards,
          > Michael Flora
          >
          > On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:30 AM, <HerbertRNewman@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > In a message dated 11/11/2008 11:13:57 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          > > timelooper@... writes:
          > >
          > > Thanks for the support Herb. Don't worry about me, I don't dissuade
          > > easily.
          > >
          > > I see that we're "neighbors." Keep looking at the sky. A friend or
          > > mine lives down your way and she told me that she saw a stationary
          > > black triangle high in the sky not too far from naval base a few
          > > months back. Friends of hers said it was a stealth aircraft, but I
          > > pointed out to her that they are jet aircraft without hovering
          > > capability. It look like"they" are very interested in our military as
          > > well.
          > >
          > > Bob
          > >
          > > ____________________________________
          > >
          > > Bob, here in the section of Norfolk where I live (I can see
          Newport News and
          > > Hampton and the Eastern Shore) I'm completely SURROUNDED by
          military bases.
          > > I spend a LOT of time looking at the sky ... mostly military
          aircraft and
          > > planes heading for or leaving Norfolk International Airport ...
          but every
          > > ONCE
          > > in a while ... yeah ... there's something ELSE up there ...
          usually kinda
          > > "hiding" behind the clouds. Which is really weird, because radar
          see THROUGH
          > > clouds. Go figure.
          > >
          > > Herb
          > >
          > > **************AOL Search: Your one stop for directions, recipes
          and all
          > > other
          > > Holiday needs. Search Now.

          > > -aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)

        • Bob Foster
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 16, 2008
            This is a long message, so please bear with me.

            I was unaware that the following "explanation" of my UFO sighting had been posted/ added to my original NUFORC report. Since filing my report in May I did not see any reason to revisit it, but now I am glad that I did (though it is six months after the fact). I have contacted NUFORC asking them how common it is to have an "explanation" such as this added to what is, after all, a chronological sightings list, but have yet to receive a satisfactory answer.� So, being a combative sort, I have cut-and-pasted this supposed explanation and followed it with my own rebuttal. I think it makes for intriguing reading. It also makes you wonder about the high degree of disinformation that the government is engaged in. I mean, who is this Mr. Ebersole
            anyway?

            Enjoy!

            Mr. Kurt Ebersole's ad hoc explanation of my May 19, 2008 sighting.

            The Surry report could have many explanations. I fly gliders in Surry and surrounding counties and am familiar with aircraft in the area. The Coast Guard (not Ft Eustis - Army) provide security with helicopters for the nuclear plant. Just after 9/11 they would land at night, with permission, at our glider field that is only a few miles from the plant. They could respond within moments of any threat to the plant yet not be detected before hand. One of our glider club members is one of their pilots. There is also a blimp factory on the Virginia / North Carolina border that often fly blimps in the area. (The Blackwater private mercenary intelligence company along with many other military black ops are in this region too) The blimps prefer
            calmer days and usually stay further south, but it isn't a requirement and could account for the hovering effect by flying into the wind to get back to their field upwind. They normally don't fly that close to the eastern part of the area, along the James River, because it is a longer flight back. A strong s/w wind could blow them over there and their small engines would work hard to get them back to N. Carolina. If they were there they may have been sightseeing over the James River. Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg, and the small Williamsburg airport are on the east side of James River and the airport could be used for an emergency landing if the blimp were in trouble.

            On the Jamestown, James City County side of the river where the witness was standing also is home to a very highly restricted military intelligence community / base, where they are known to test experimental spy craft. Local pilots have witnessed small unmanned recon aircraft
            being flown over the base. Pilot in the air away from the restricted airspace but close enough to see it. I strongly suspect the witness saw one of the above explanations. It could have been a very planned flight by the plant security, but I suspect it was a blimp, helicopter, possibly an off course military item, or maybe even a small airplane waiting to come in at the Williamsburg field. There are very strict rules against flying near the nuclear plants. Pilots are not supposed to "loiter" over them in an airplane. Whatever that means. If a blimp were blown over the plant by the wind it would be an embarrassment to the plant to admit nothing was done. There is also some ultra light activity in the area. It may have been unidentifiable to a distant viewer but to someone near it may have not been an unusual object to be seen in those skies. Hope this helps. Kurt Ebersole
            757-217-7913

            My response.

            Mr Ebersole's statement that there is a blimp factory on the NC/VA border is patently false. I have researched this thoroughly, and there simply is no such ting. There IS a company with an office in Durham, NC, called Flairships, that leases out aerial advertising blimps to various companies, but they did not have any blimps in the air over SE Virginia on the day in question. I have contacted other companies that utilize airships (including Goodyear and MetLife), and none of them had a blimp within 200 miles of the James River on that day. Having seen advertising blimps on various occasions over the years, I can assure you that this was no blimp. I had a close-up view of it under ideal conditions. What I saw had no writing of any kind on its sides. Nor did it have a crew cabin on its belly, a tail
            assembly, or motors or any other protuberances from its surface. The craft I saw was perfectly smooth and silent. It was also in the range of 300-400 feet long. Even the largest advertising blimps in use today are less than 200 feet long. And they, like the Goodyear blimp, have the company logo prominently displayed on their hull. Otherwise, what�s the use of having an advertising blimp?

            I have found no confirmation that the Coast Guard is responsible for the nuclear plant's security. In all my years cycling the Parkway, I have never once seen a white and orange Coast Guard chopper over the river. Never once. Nor have I ever seena� Coast Guard cutter or patrol boat that far inland. This is simply out of their area of jurisdiction. I did phone thepower plant immediately after my sighting and was immediately connected to the head station security! I have since learned that they are a highly trained, almost paramilitary group. The idea that
            the Coast Guard would fly so far inland and provide security is a stretch.

            As for the Blackwater mercenary outfit, which is stationed far to the south in Moyock, NC, flying anything more than second-hand military helicopters, well, the term ridiculous comes to mind. I mean, where does Mr. Ebersole come up with this kooky stuff?

            And the idea that a blimp might have been blown from north to south by a southwest wind is laughable. Any fifth grader could see how stupid that is. If anything, it would have been blown towards Williamsburg, not away from it. As I said before, the craft I saw moved strongly INTO the wind and was not at its mercy. And, with all of the empty real estate it could possibly encounter along the river, it chose to stop just opposite a nuclear power station? And stay there? That, in itself, is telling.

            I called the Jamestown airport (which is less than a mile from my house) two hours after my sighting, and the
            fellow in charge assured me that there was nothing even remotely like a blimp near his airport that day. Unfortunately, the local airport does not use radar, so he couldn�t tell me just what may have been flying over the river at noon that day.

            The �very highly restricted military intelligence community/base� Ebersole refers to must be Camp Peary, aka �The Swamp.� This is the well-known CIA training base on the York River. Its western perimeter hugs I-64. It lies on the far side of Williamsburg about 5 miles from where I made my sighting. Having lived here for the past 15 years, I too have heard tales of remotely piloted vehicles like the Predator drone flying over the base and the nearby York River. But they are never seen over the historic areas or the James River. I know what a Predator looks like, and with its narrow body, long wings and bulbous nose, it was the complete opposite of what I saw. I suspect you could pack twenty
            Predators inside of what I saw. Possibly more.

            Having seen the alien craft up close (at first from less than half a mile away) and then at a distance of about three miles, I am absolutely certain that it was not a helicopter, �military item� (whatever that means), or small airplane. I spent 6 years in the Navy, have a BS in environmental science, a masters degree in climatology, and I believe that my eyesight and powers of discrimination are good enough to distinguish helicopters, Ospreys, and fixed winged aircraft from the absolutely unique craft I witnessed. And the idea that I�d mistake an ultralight for a 300 foot long craft leaves me speechless. I have seen ultralights fly over directly my house while out doing yard work, and I�d know their shape anywhere. Besides, they make as much noise as a flying lawnmower. What I saw was absolutely silent.

            In summation, I�d like to add that I�ve attempted to get in contact with Mr.
            Ebersole, as he so obligingly left his phone number, bur he has so far refused to return my calls. All I know of him is that he lives in Virginia Beach, which, by the way, is home to Oceana NAS. This should raise questions about who he speaks for. (What's your rank� or G-rating, Mr. Ebersole?) While just up the peninsula from there is Langley AFB, a first response base which is tasked to defend US airspace in the event of hostile activity (such as 9/11 or foreign attack). This part of Virginia is home to at least a half dozen very sensitive military bases. The HQ of the Atlantic fleet is at Norfolk. On any given day you can see nuclear powered aircraft carriers at dock from I-64. I doubt that there is a higher concentration of military force anywhere else in the world.

            I am speculating here, but I suspect that the idea that an alien craft could literally �stroll� past these bases, at midday, right over the heads of millions of people,
            and go undetected, much less confronted, is something that no one in the armed forces or the intelligence community is willing to admit to. There appears to be a desperate effort to discredit valid sightings.

            Just like I no longer trust my government to make sound economic decisions, I no longer believe that our armed forces can protect us from every threat.