Re: Virus threat targeting ufology

  • bubbasmom555
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 20, 2008
      Has anyone actually used this?

      Peggi

      --- In ufonet@yahoogroups.com, "Joe McGonagle" <joe@...> wrote:

      > Chris Aubeck drew my attention to a useful security tool on another
      > list. The tool is called 'Returnil', available as a free download
      from:

      > http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/index_files/rvspersonal.htm
      >
      > The blurb from the manual explains how it works as follows:
      >
      > "Returnil Virtual System's protection concept is very easy to
      > understand. It provides a simple, effective, and smart way to
      prevent
      > unwanted or malicious changes from being made to your supported
      > Windows® Operating System and the drive where Windows® is installed.
      > You operate your system in a virtual environment, so anything you do
      > will happen in the virtual environment, not in the real PC. If your
      > computer is attacked or gets infected with Malware, all you need to
      do
      > is simply reboot the PC to erase all changes. Once restarted, your
      > system will be restored to the original state, as if nothing ever
      > happened! Meanwhile, Returnil Virtual System can create a virtual
      > storage disk for you; the purpose of this partition is to provide a
      > place for you to save your data when the Virtual System Protection
      > mode is turned ON, and you can customize the size of this disk to
      meet
      > your individual requirements."
      >
      > Looks to me as though it could save a great deal of heartache.
      >
      > Joe

    • Joe McGonagle
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 21, 2008
        --- In ufonet@yahoogroups.com, "bubbasmom555" <bubbasmom555@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone actually used this?
        >
        > Peggi
        >
        > --- In ufonet@yahoogroups.com, "Joe McGonagle" <joe@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Chris Aubeck drew my attention to a useful security tool on another
        > > list. The tool is called 'Returnil', available as a free download
        > from:
        > >
        > > http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/index_files/rvspersonal.htm

        I'm using it now, it seems to work as described. The only thing to
        watch out for is that if you want to download and save a file (say a
        pdf document), you must save it in the container drive, otherwise it
        will be lost following re-boot. I am still finding my way around it,
        so I am unsure what happens with email attachments as yet....

        Chris Aubeck has been using it for some time now and is perfectly
        happy with it.

        Joe
      • bubbasmom555
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 21, 2008
          Thanks, Joe. I've been suffering with periodic "security messes"
          that I swear are related to what I'm chatting about and whom I'm
          chatting with. This sounds like an ideal solution!

          Are you publishing about it on other sites, also? Seems like word
          needs to get around!