Virus threat targeting ufology

  • Joe (uk-ufo) McGonagle
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 19, 2008
      I have recently noticed that several UFO-related searches on
      Google are returning quite high-ranking links to trojan infection
      pages.

      Many of them are easily identifiable, take the following example
      for instance:

      A search on 'Cosford UFO' returned the following:

      --------------
      8 hours ago -
      CLICK HERE! WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT: march network mobile dvr
      march 13th ufo arizona video clip march 12th birthday march 11,
      1947 march 10:6-9 march 10 1980 ..... map to raf cosford map to
      o'hare airport ...
      [Link to infected web site page]
      --------------

      The 'CLICK HERE! WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT' part is a common return
      for infected pages. A similar result was obtained on a search for
      'Caldbeck UFO'

      Another example based on a search for UFO names, I tried 'Jenny
      Randles', 'Nick Pope', and 'Joe McGonagle', all of which produced
      links to infected pages like the following:

      [Jenny Randles search]
      18 Aug 2008 -
      chat craig jenny - jenny langer - jenny craig 7 free days - jenny
      ... penny mathis dreamdolls jenny p, jenny mccarthy x-mas, talk
      shows jenny, jenny prietzel, jenny craig food and program
      reviews, jenny randles time storms ...
      www.thunderhillscc.com/[infected page at domain]

      [Nick Pope search]
      18 Aug 2008 -
      ml 270 ecu remap info - reset jeep ecu - 03 cobra ecu - acura ecu
      ... Post N17069: nick pope daily mail224, 17:32 Best Film:
      Bootylicious, Sledgehammer Press, Chanson francaise, Home, Light
      Ning-Ma-Pa. ...
      www.thekwikimage.com/[infected page at domain]

      The clue in the above hit is 'Post N17069:' - many of the
      infected results included similar text (with different numbers)

      [Joe McGonagle search]
      4 hours ago -
      William Loren Mcgonagle Joe mcgonagle loren e gross, ufos: a
      history: october pages - and r stan seers and william lasich i n
      flying saucer review, volume, orps of engineers ...
      resquepeople.strefa.pl/[infected page at domain]

      The above list is not exhaustive. The Nick Pope search produced
      nearly 1,600 results for pages indexed in the last 24 hours, most
      of which were infected.

      I advise that everyone treats unknown sites with caution, but
      bear in mind that most of the sites hosting infected pages are
      genuine sites which have been hacked. If prompted to download any
      software updates, there is a high probability that the site is
      trying to install a trojan on your PC.

      Joe
    • Joe McGonagle
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 19, 2008
        Chris Aubeck drew my attention to a useful security tool on another
        list. The tool is called 'Returnil', available as a free download from:

        http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/index_files/rvspersonal.htm

        The blurb from the manual explains how it works as follows:

        "Returnil Virtual System's protection concept is very easy to
        understand. It provides a simple, effective, and smart way to prevent
        unwanted or malicious changes from being made to your supported
        Windows® Operating System and the drive where Windows® is installed.
        You operate your system in a virtual environment, so anything you do
        will happen in the virtual environment, not in the real PC. If your
        computer is attacked or gets infected with Malware, all you need to do
        is simply reboot the PC to erase all changes. Once restarted, your
        system will be restored to the original state, as if nothing ever
        happened! Meanwhile, Returnil Virtual System can create a virtual
        storage disk for you; the purpose of this partition is to provide a
        place for you to save your data when the Virtual System Protection
        mode is turned ON, and you can customize the size of this disk to meet
        your individual requirements."

        Looks to me as though it could save a great deal of heartache.

        Joe
      • bubbasmom555
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 20, 2008
          Has anyone actually used this?

          Peggi

          --- In ufonet@yahoogroups.com, "Joe McGonagle" <joe@...> wrote:

          > Chris Aubeck drew my attention to a useful security tool on another
          > list. The tool is called 'Returnil', available as a free download
          from:

          > http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/index_files/rvspersonal.htm
          >
          > The blurb from the manual explains how it works as follows:
          >
          > "Returnil Virtual System's protection concept is very easy to
          > understand. It provides a simple, effective, and smart way to
          prevent
          > unwanted or malicious changes from being made to your supported
          > Windows® Operating System and the drive where Windows® is installed.
          > You operate your system in a virtual environment, so anything you do
          > will happen in the virtual environment, not in the real PC. If your
          > computer is attacked or gets infected with Malware, all you need to
          do
          > is simply reboot the PC to erase all changes. Once restarted, your
          > system will be restored to the original state, as if nothing ever
          > happened! Meanwhile, Returnil Virtual System can create a virtual
          > storage disk for you; the purpose of this partition is to provide a
          > place for you to save your data when the Virtual System Protection
          > mode is turned ON, and you can customize the size of this disk to
          meet
          > your individual requirements."
          >
          > Looks to me as though it could save a great deal of heartache.
          >
          > Joe

        • Joe McGonagle
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 21, 2008
            --- In ufonet@yahoogroups.com, "bubbasmom555" <bubbasmom555@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone actually used this?
            >
            > Peggi
            >
            > --- In ufonet@yahoogroups.com, "Joe McGonagle" <joe@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Chris Aubeck drew my attention to a useful security tool on another
            > > list. The tool is called 'Returnil', available as a free download
            > from:
            > >
            > > http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/index_files/rvspersonal.htm

            I'm using it now, it seems to work as described. The only thing to
            watch out for is that if you want to download and save a file (say a
            pdf document), you must save it in the container drive, otherwise it
            will be lost following re-boot. I am still finding my way around it,
            so I am unsure what happens with email attachments as yet....

            Chris Aubeck has been using it for some time now and is perfectly
            happy with it.

            Joe
          • bubbasmom555
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 21, 2008
              Thanks, Joe. I've been suffering with periodic "security messes"
              that I swear are related to what I'm chatting about and whom I'm
              chatting with. This sounds like an ideal solution!

              Are you publishing about it on other sites, also? Seems like word
              needs to get around!