More on the Edgar Mitchell story

  • ed.stamm@excite.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2 6:10 PM
      Astronaut Says Government Covering Up UFOs
      July 25, 2008
      LAKE WORTH, Florida -- An astronaut who once walked on the moon is causing a stir with claims the government is covering up the truth about aliens and UFOs. "It's incredible to think that we might be the only intelligent, living system in the universe. That's not credible anymore," Apollo 14 veteran Edgar Mitchell told WPBF-TV in West Palm Beach, Fla., on Friday. Mitchell's home in a suburb of West Palm Beach is a small shrine to the nine hours and 17 minutes he spent walking on the moon. Because of his experience, Mitchell's recent comments about unidentified flying objects and aliens are getting a lot of attention.
      Mitchell said that he believes the U.S. government has been covering-up the truth for more than 50 years. "Military pilots, airline pilots, mostly, from all over the world, for 50 years, have reported these things, but they've quit because they're told to shut up and not talk about it by military and intelligence people," Mitchell said.
      The 77-year-old said the deception began after the alleged alien landing in Roswell, N.M., in 1947. Ever since, Mitchell claims, the government has been keeping proof of alien life -- and alien visits -- under wraps. "Unfortunately, you the press show no interest whatsoever. The giggle factor has been too high. But the science behind it and the research behind it, among the people I know, is accepted. It's real," Mitchell told WPBF.
      The issue gained steam earlier this week when Mitchell told a British radio interviewer that he knows that the government knows about life in outer space. "I've been saying the same damn words for 10 years, almost verbatim, and all of a sudden, here I'm global news," he said.
      Mitchell first made global news on Feb. 9, 1971, when his lunar mission earned him a place in the record book for longest moonwalk -- an unbelievable feat that he said could be topped by an alien encounter. "It would be pretty darn exciting. I have been hoping for that type of experience since I got involved in this," he said.
      Mitchell said that he does not know why the government would be covering up the existence of intelligent life. He said he thinks that John F. Kennedy was the last U.S. president to be briefed on UFOs.

      Apollo 14 Moonwalker Claims Alien Cover-Up
      Saturday, July 26, 2008
      At first, the radio host interviewing former NASA astronaut and Apollo 14 crewmember Dr. Edgar Mitchell thought he was being subjected to "some sort of astronaut humor..." but Mitchell was dead serious in claiming extraterrestrials have visited Earth for decades, and the truth will soon come to light. Mitchell shares the record for the longest-ever moonwalk with Apollo 14 commander Alan Shepard.
      "I happen to have been privileged enough to be in on the fact that we've been visited on this planet and the UFO phenomena is real," Mitchell said during a recent interview in the United Kingdom. "It's been well covered up by all our governments for the last 60 years or so, but slowly it's leaked out and some of us have been privileged to have been briefed on some of it." "I've been in military and intelligence circles, who know....yes -- we have been visited," Mitchell added. "Reading the papers recently, it's been happening quite a bit."
      Mitchell describes the alleged alien visitors as "little people who look strange to us"... but NASA says the former moonwalker's claims look strange to them. "NASA does not track UFOs," said an agency spokesman. "NASA is not involved in any sort of cover up about alien life on this planet or anywhere in the universe." "Dr. Mitchell is a great American, but we do not share his opinions on this issue," the spokesman added.
      Kerrang! radio host Nick Margerrison says Mitchell, "was absolutely serious that aliens are definitely out there, and there's no debating it."
      Regardless of the doubters, Mitchell seems absolutely sincere in his claims. "This is really starting to open up. I think we're headed for real disclosure and some serious organizations are moving in that direction," Mitchell said.