Backers Of Extraterrestrial PAC

  • Nicky Molloy
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 1999
      It May Seem Spacey, But Backers Of Extraterrestrial PAC
      Serious
      Saturday, August
      28, 1999

      GANNETT NEWS SERVICE

      WASHINGTON -- E.T., phone your lobbyist.
      Just when it seems like everyone on Earth has their own political
      action
      committee, along comes a PAC representing extraterrestrials -- or at
      least the
      human beings who believe in them.
      Its called X-PPAC -- short for Extraterrestrial Phenomena
      Political Action
      Committee -- and it has raised about $1,000 since its creation in
      mid-July.
      The PAC's founder said the money would be used to lobby lawmakers
      have congressional hearings on whether federal bureaucrats have
      covered up
      evidence of UFOs and alien activity.
      "In Washington, no one takes your issue seriously unless you have
      lobbyist, a PAC and press clippings," says Stephen Bassett, treasurer
      of
      X-PPAC and the only federally-registered UFO lobbyist in America. "My
      job
      is to make sure we have all those things."
      Bassett, a former business consultant, hopes these trappings will
      help
      convince members of Congress that "it's time to stop treating this
      thing like
      it's the crazy aunt in the attic."
      It's not a bad strategy, says Paul Hendrie, spokesman for the
      Center for
      Responsive Politics, a nonprofit group that studies the influence of
      special
      interests on Congress.
      "If they have money to give, I'm sure they'll find takers for it,"
      Hendrie said,
      laughing. "Political candidates will take money from just about
      anyone."
      Bassett hopes the money will gain him a greater audience in
      Congress.
      In 3 1/2 years lobbying for a variety of organizations, Bassett
      has met with
      only three members of Congress. He won't name them.
      "It's a verboten subject. They're so afraid of the ridicule," he
      said.