Fwd: Jonathan's Space Report, No. 580

    Message 1 of 2 , May 17, 2007
      Jonathan's Space Report
      No. 580 2007 May 16, Beijing

      Station and Shuttle
      --------------------

      The Progress M-60 cargo ship was launched on May 12, and docked with
      the Zvezda port of the Station at 0510 on May 15, bringing supplies
      to astronauts Yurchikhin, Kotov and Williams.

      Space Shuttle Atlantis is now on pad 39A at Kennedy Space Center,
      being prepared for launch on the STS-117 mission.

      NFIRE
      -----

      The NFIRE satellite was launched on Apr 24 by a Minotaur I rocket from
      Wallops Island. Orbital's Minotaur I consists of the first two stages of a
      Minuteman II ICBM topped by the second and third stages of a Pegasus XL.
      For this flight it used the larger 1.5-meter diameter fairing first
      flown on Tacsat-2 last year.

      NFIRE (Near Field Infrared Experiment) belongs to the US Missile Defense
      Agency; its primary payload is the Track Sensor Payload which will
      observe missiles specially launched to fly close to it, and attempt to
      distinguish between the missile itself and its hot rocket exhaust plume
      - a technology relevant to proposed missile interceptors. NFIRE also has
      a secondary payload for laser communications and a hydrazine propulsion
      system. The spacecraft, built by General Dynamics C4 (formerly Spectrum
      Astro), is expected to reach a 495 km orbit with a 49 deg inclination.

      AIM
      ---

      NASA's latest Small Explorer, the Aeronomy of Ice in the Mesosphere
      mission, was launched on a Pegasus XL on Apr 25.
      AIM carries three scientific instruments to study polar mesospheric
      clouds: a solar occultation camera, an ultraviolet imager,
      and a cosmic dust experiment.

      Nigcomsat 1
      ------------

      China launched its second DFH-4 communications satellite on May 13. The
      5150 kg payload is Nigcomsat-1, China's first commercial payload sale,
      to be operated by Nigerian Communications Satellite Ltd., a
      state-owned company under the Nigerian Federal Ministry of Science and
      Technology. Nigeria's National Space Research and Development Agency,
      under the same ministry, also has a role in the mission, although the
      organiztional details are not clear to me.

      Ariane 5
      ---------

      An Ariane 5ECA launched two communications satellite payloads on May 4.
      Astra 1L was a 4500 kg Lockheed Martin A2100AX satellite with a Ku/Ka-band
      payload for SES Astra of Luxembourg. Galaxy 17 is a 4100-kg C/Ku-band
      satellite for cable television relay in the US. The Galaxy satellite
      fleet, once owned by Hughes Communications and then Panamsat, is now
      operated by Intelsat. The satellite is a Spacebus 3000B3, built in
      the Cannes satellite plant, once Aerospatiale and then Alcatel,
      now Thales Alenia Space.

      Table of Recent Launches
      -----------------------
      Date UT Name Launch Vehicle Site Mission
      INTL.
      DES.
      Apr 7 1731 Soyuz TMA-10 Soyuz-FG Baykonur LC1
      Spaceship 08A
      Apr 9 2254 Anik F3 Proton-M/Briz Baykonur
      Comms 09A
      Apr 11 0327 Haiyang 1B Chang Zheng 2C Taiyuan
      Imaging 10A
      Apr 12 2011 Beidou 5 Chang Zheng 3A Xichang
      Navigation 11A
      Apr 17 0646 MAST ) Dnepr Baykonur
      Tech 12K
      Misr 1 )
      Imaging 12A
      Saudisat 3 )
      Imaging 12B
      SaudiComsat-3 )
      Comms 12J
      SaudiComsat-4 )
      Comms 12L
      SaudiComsat-5 )
      Comms 12H
      SaudiComsat-6 )
      Comms 12E
      SaudiComsat-7 )
      Comms 12C
      CAPE 1 )
      Tech 12P
      Aerocube 2 )
      Tech 12F
      CSTB 1 )
      Tech 12R
      CP 3 )
      Tech 12M
      CP 4 )
      Tech 12Q
      Libertad )
      Tech 12
      Apr 23 1000 AGILE PSLV Sriharikota
      Astronomy 13A
      Apr 24 0648 NFIRE Minotaur Wallops LA0B
      Tech 14A
      Apr 25 2026 AIM Pegasus XL Vandenberg
      Science 15A
      May 4 2229 Astra 1L ) Ariane 5ECA Kourou ELA3
      Comms 16A
      Galaxy 17 )
      Comms 16B
      May 12 0325 Progress M-60 Soyuz-U Baykonur
      Cargo 17A
      May 13 1601 Nigcomsat 1 Chang Zheng 3B Xichang
      Comms 18A

      .-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
      | Jonathan McDowell | phone : (617) 495-7176 |
      | Somerville MA 02143 | inter : jcm@... |
      | USA | jcm@... |
      | |
      | JSR: http://www.planet4589.org/jsr.html |
      | Back issues: http://www.planet4589.org/space/jsr/back |
      | Subscribe/unsub: mail majordomo@..., (un)subscribe jsr |
    • Lamont Washington
      Message 2 of 2 , May 26, 2007
        Hey guys, take a look a Seti UNIVERSE
        (http://www.setiuniverse.com) when you have the time.
        We are about all aspects of SETI and we have a section
        devoted to UFO's (in our forum) and elsewhere!

        Become a member (it's free) and contribute to our UFO
        forum (membership required) we will also publish your
        stories. (We publish, scifi, fantasy, poetry, SETI
        INFO, UFO INFO, commentaries, editorials, and more)

        Hope to see you there!

        You can find Seti UNIVERSE at:
        http://www.setiuniverse.com/

        .-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
        > | Jonathan McDowell | phone :
        > (617) 495-7176 |
        > | Somerville MA 02143 | inter :
        > jcm@... |
        > | USA |
        > jcm@... |
        > |

        > | JSR: http://www.planet4589.org/jsr.html
        > |
        > | Back issues:
        > http://www.planet4589.org/space/jsr/back
        > |
        > | Subscribe/unsub: mail
        > majordomo@..., (un)subscribe jsr |

        > UFOnet is an international news and discussion list
        > dedicated to:

        === message truncated ===

        Seti UNIVERSE
        http://www.setiuniverse.com/

        All of the SETI (The SEARCH for EXTRA--TERRESTRIAL INTELLIGENCE)
        disciplines in one place. (Radio, Optical, Microwave, and Amateur SETI)
        Stop by Seti UNIVERSE and find out, what you didn't know about SETI.

        Seti UNIVERSE also has MultiMedia, Fun & Games, a Forum, Seti News, BOINC
        Partners News, a Link to Us, Submit Your Website, a SciFi Short Stories,
        and a Writer of the Month contest.

        Seti UNIVERSE is a Safe For Kids, Parental Guidance Suggested website.

        Bored stiff? Loosen up...
        http://games.yahoo.com/games/front