Warning passed on from other group!

  • Geoff Richardson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2006
      This warning was posted on another non-ufo group I am a member of,
      I post it here in good faith - please pass it on,
      Geoff Richardson

      From: Jenie

      Hi,

      I just wanted to give you the head's up. There's a crazy spammer
      going around
      trying to steal people's groups and accounts. DON'T fall for this
      scam! I just
      received this email
      and it sounds pretty convincing. A copy of the email I received this
      morning is
      below so you can see
      what is written. Do not fall for this. Never give out your password
      to your
      email, or anything else
      for that matter, via email. If this was legit, Yahoo would already
      have your
      password.

      Here are the names to watch out for:

      dntbanass
      d ntbnass
      sunofdaddy
      bettyfowler1961
      apollo1960
      ticatgal
      smogtowngirl

      These are all the same person and all are blank Yahoo profiles. It's
      some
      deranged idiot who is trying to get people's info. If by chance you
      get any
      emails from any of these names...REPORT it to abuse@...

      You may want to keep an eye on your junk mail folder as that's where
      this
      person's messages usually go to.

      Here's a copy of the email I received this morning:
      om:"ticatgal@..." <anonymous@...>

      Yahoo Community Monitor says: Yahoo Group Managers have been
      receiving a few
      complaints about your
      group. I am required to join your site and monitor it for about one
      month. I
      will not do anything to
      damage or ruin your site, I am only required to monitor it. The only
      thing
      required of you is to
      accept my application and make me a Manager of your group for the
      time I am
      there. If you cannot
      meet these requirements, Yahoo will have to shut your accounts
      down.Please send
      your password to:
      ticatgal@... it will be kept safe.
      Please be careful of this. Again, do not give out your password to
      anyone over
      email. If you ever
      get a request like this and you're unsure, call the company that is
      requesting
      the info to verify
      that it is real and legit.

      And you might want to crosspost this to others that you know that
      use Yahoo
      Groups, not just owners
      but members as well, so others don't fall for this.
      Jenie