Moderator vacancy

  • Joe McGonagle
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 9, 2006
      I must have got it wrong, I thought this was a UFO list. Given my
      gross misunderstanding as to what the topicality of the list is, I
      have no choice but to stand down as a moderator.

      Apologies, please feel free to post whatever you like to this list
      (whatever it's subject is).

      Regards,
      Joe
    • geoff@thewhyfiles.net
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 10, 2006
        Joe is a very experienced moderator and does know how to keep a mailing list
        running "on the right lines". He has built up a great deal of expertise
        which would be invaluable to any web-based discussion group. He is also a
        highly knowledgeable and dedicated Ufologist.
        It is a great shame that this group appears to have lost him as a moderator
        and I am sure that the group will be much poorer for it.
        Geoff Richardson
        www.thewhyfiles.net

        > I must have got it wrong, I thought this was a UFO list. Given my
        > gross misunderstanding as to what the topicality of the list is, I
        > have no choice but to stand down as a moderator.
        >
        > Apologies, please feel free to post whatever you like to this list
        > (whatever it's subject is).
        >
        > Regards,
        > Joe

        > ufonet-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > Website: http://www.ufonet.nl

        > require
        > further investigation.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • B. Becker
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 11, 2006
          This is unbelievable. One off topic post has generated more discussion than the on topic UFO discussion. From what I see on the message board the interest in this list is waning anyway. Rather than taking your ball and going home Joe, why dont you cut the childish behavior and throw yourself into making the list more interesting and viable.

          BB

          Joe McGonagle <joe@...> wrote:

          I must have got it wrong, I thought this was a UFO list. Given my
          gross misunderstanding as to what the topicality of the list is, I
          have no choice but to stand down as a moderator.

          Apologies, please feel free to post whatever you like to this list
          (whatever it's subject is).

          Regards,
          Joe

          ufonet-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Website: http://www.ufonet.nl

          further investigation.

          ---------------------------------

        • Geoff Richardson
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 11, 2006
            I have been a member of this list for (at a guess) seven or maybe eight years and there is no doubt that the quality of postings did degenerate to an appalling level up to about six months ago. There were more spam and non-ufo postings than genuine postings about the subject of Ufology.
            Since Joe took over as moderator the list has regained its identity and integrity as a UFO discussion group.
            Brian Vike is also supposed to be a co-moderator with Joe and it was Brian who polluted the list with a non-ufo posting. How on earth can Brian moderate this group with integrity when he has posted non-ufo topics himself. Mind you, has Brian actually been involved as moderator in real terms?
            Without good moderation, which at times means the moderator must make hard decisions, any web-based discussion group is bound to become watered-down, lose its integrity and ultimately fail in its intentions.
            I would imagine that most of us have interests and causes that we are dedicated to apart from Ufology - those interests should be pursued in the relevant non-ufo lists - not here.
            There is no doubt that at times Joe and I have had our differences but the quality of the postings on this group did improve to a previously unknown level and quality whilst Joe was moderator.

            Every member of this group does, in fact, owe Joe a debt of gratitude.

            Geoff Richardson

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 11, 2006
              Hi All,

              --- In ufonet@yahoogroups.com, "B. Becker" <becker65201@...> wrote:

              > This is unbelievable. One off topic post has generated more
              discussion than the on topic UFO discussion. From what I see on the
              message board the interest in this list is waning anyway. Rather
              than taking your ball and going home Joe, why dont you cut the
              childish behavior and throw yourself into making the list more
              interesting and viable.

              > BB
              >
              > Joe McGonagle <joe@...> wrote:
              >
              > I must have got it wrong, I thought this was a UFO list. Given my
              > gross misunderstanding as to what the topicality of the list is, I
              > have no choice but to stand down as a moderator.
              >
              > Apologies, please feel free to post whatever you like to this list
              > (whatever it's subject is).
              >
              > Regards,
              > Joe

              > ufonet-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
              >
              > Website: http://www.ufonet.nl
              >
              > Caution, many reports of unidentified phenomena posted to this
              list require
              > further investigation.

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------

            • B. Becker

                Joe McGonagle <joe@...> wrote:

                I must have got it wrong, I thought this was a UFO list. Given my
                gross misunderstanding as to what the topicality of the list is, I
                have no choice but to stand down as a moderator.

                Apologies, please feel free to post whatever you like to this list
                (whatever it's subject is).

                Regards,
                Joe

                ufonet-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                Website: http://www.ufonet.nl

                further investigation.

                ---------------------------------

                ufonet-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                Website: http://www.ufonet.nl

                further investigation.

                ufonet-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                Website: http://www.ufonet.nl

                further investigation.

                ---------------------------------

                Missouri Investigators Group

                NUFORC / Mo Reports

                Sightings in Missouri/graphs

              • Linette Sukup
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 11, 2006
                  Listen, I know that I got blasted for my remark about jaded cynicism. But
                  Brian seemed genuinely excited about the eagle pics. A sense of wonder is a
                  sense of wonder.
                  I also hope that my remark didn't contribute to Joe's walking off. I have
                  regularly posted things that I thought might spur discussion, but they
                  didn't. Either people didn't find them interesting, or they, like me, have a
                  helluva lot of things to do.
                  Let's not be acrimonious over one slip-up, but at the same time let's not
                  limit ourselves to such a degree that we become stagnant.

                  Peace.
                  Linette

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 11, 2006
                    The problem is the quality of the postings on this list sank to the level of
                    garbage not so long ago. Joe not only solved the problems of non-ufo topic
                    postings but also he totally got rid of the spammers.
                    Do you want this list to return to the situation it was in just a few months
                    ago?
                    Joe did a very good job in an equally short time period and rather than
                    complain we should be thanking him. I don't think you have any idea of how
                    much effort moderating a group like this involves AND no one can be expected
                    to moderate a fellow moderator.
                    Geoff Richardson

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 12, 2006
                      Posted on behalf of Joe (ex moderator) as he has to rejoin the group
                      following his resignation as moderator.

                      "BB" Wrote:

                      >This is unbelievable. One off topic post has generated more
                      >discussion than the on topic UFO discussion. From what I see on

                      A couple of points here.

                      1. You make my point for me about the negative potential of
                      off-topic postings to the smooth running of the list. Yet to
                      quote you from previous posts:

                      "Take a pill Joe. Sit down and enjoy the eagles"
                      "Thanks for posting the eagle url. I appreciate it."

                      2. Do you really consider the administration of the UFONET list
                      to be off-topic for this list?

                      I agree, it is unbelievable.

                      >the message board the interest in this list is waning anyway.
                      >Rather than taking your ball and going home Joe, why dont you
                      >cut the childish behavior and throw yourself into making the
                      >list more interesting and viable.

                      In order to improve the list, I need the support of my
                      fellow-moderators, and the list membership.

                      Moderator Frits has more pressing demands on his time, which is
                      why he requested assistance in the first place. Moderator Brian,
                      by making the off-topic post, has undermined the authority of the
                      moderators - how can he now justify rejecting off-topic posts in
                      the future? Shortly prior to Brian's off-topic post, I rejected a
                      number of posts because they were off-topic.

                      Comments like your own own and Linette's demonstrate a lack of
                      support from the membership, though this is balanced by comments
                      like those from Geoff and Dean. Out of a list with nearly 800
                      registered members, only 4 people felt strongly enough about
                      topicality to express an opinion either way. Hardly support for
                      me as a moderator.

                      Moving on to your suggestions, you clearly have the knowledge as
                      to how to cure the ills of the list, and the time to carry them
                      out (since you can afford the time to read off-topic posts and
                      act on them). Why don't you apply your resources and take up the
                      vacant moderator's position? You would certainly have my support
                      in this.

                      Regards,
                      Joe

                      --- In ufonet@yahoogroups.com, "Linette Sukup" <linettesukup@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Listen, I know that I got blasted for my remark about jaded
                      cynicism. But
                      > Brian seemed genuinely excited about the eagle pics. A sense of
                      wonder is a
                      > sense of wonder.
                      > I also hope that my remark didn't contribute to Joe's walking off.
                      I have
                      > regularly posted things that I thought might spur discussion, but
                      they
                      > didn't. Either people didn't find them interesting, or they, like
                      me, have a
                      > helluva lot of things to do.
                      > Let's not be acrimonious over one slip-up, but at the same time
                      let's not
                      > limit ourselves to such a degree that we become stagnant.
                      >
                      > Peace.
                      > Linette

                      Service.

                      > ---------------------------------
                      >

                      > ---------------------------------
                      > Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone calls to 30+ countries for
                      just
                      > 2¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

                      > ufonet-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                      >
                      > Website: http://www.ufonet.nl
                      >
                      > Caution, many reports of unidentified phenomena posted to this
                      list require
                      > further investigation.
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      >

                      > --
                      4/11/2006

                    • B. Becker
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 13, 2006
                        I can. I moderate four lists. I never say anything about one off topic post. Normally after the one post and a few "thank yous" the discussion returns to topic and the person who posted the "off topic" comment has been validated for sharing something interesting and the rest of us are the better for it. Its positive.

                        I can understand that one does not want this list to return to its former condition, which apparently was pretty bad, but one post by a moderator should not have caused such a ruckus. My thought is that Joe and Brian have had a previous disagreement and Joe's quitting would have come about anyway.

                        BTW: When I see that our discussion is dropping, I always go out to the internet and scout topics for discussion. That was all I was saying to Joe. Lets quit nit picking and talk some good talk.

                        BB

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 13, 2006
                          Geoff Richardson <geoff@...> wrote: Posted on behalf of Joe (ex moderator) as he has to rejoin the group following his resignation as moderator.

                          "BB" Wrote:

                          >This is unbelievable. One off topic post has generated more >discussion than the on topic UFO discussion. From what I see on

                          A couple of points here.

                          1. You make my point for me about the negative potential of off-topic postings to the smooth running of the list. Yet to quote you from previous posts:

                          "Take a pill Joe. Sit down and enjoy the eagles"
                          "Thanks for posting the eagle url. I appreciate it."
                          BB: There was no "negative potential" to that post, it became negative. It should have been acknowledge by those who wanted to acknowledge it (2 of us) and then go on. IF it generated more than a few comments AND it looked like it could dominate the discussion THEN put an end to it.

                          2. Do you really consider the administration of the UFONET list to be off-topic for this list?

                          I agree, it is unbelievable.

                          BB: Yes, actually. If you want to discuss the administration of this list then do it with personal email between yourselves, or create a list for the administrative staff. Remember, this is a UFO discussion list not an admin list, and administration of the list is "off topic". But somehow this is ok... little bit of a double standard Joe. Joe wants to complain on the "UFO" list, thats ok, but Brian posts a URL about eagles, thats not ok.

                          >the message board the interest in this list is waning anyway. Rather than taking your ball and going home Joe, why dont you cut the childish behavior and throw yourself into making the >list more interesting and viable.

                          In order to improve the list, I need the support of my
                          fellow-moderators, and the list membership.

                          BB: I will agree with part of that. If you all agree to keep off topic comments from the list, then Brian was wrong because that was the agreement...but the membership has no obligation to "support" you.

                          Moderator Frits has more pressing demands on his time, which is why he requested assistance in the first place. Moderator Brian, by making the off-topic post, has undermined the authority of the moderators - how can he now justify rejecting off-topic posts in the future? Shortly prior to Brian's off-topic post, I rejected a number of posts because they were off-topic.

                          BB: This is how I handle it. I will reject a post that is blatantly "off topic", but if it is something that is "planetary" (like eagles) I usually allow it. Thats the way I deal with it. I have only had problem with one person who kept posting Moon Hoax on the UFO list, which would not necessarily have been an issue but there were clear "sides" and the constant bickering became annoying to the others. I created another list which became politics/conspiracy and everyone was happy.

                          Comments like your own own and Linette's
                          demonstrate a lack of support from the membership, though this is balanced by comments like those from Geoff and Dean. Out of a list with nearly 800 registered members, only 4 people felt strongly enough about topicality to express an opinion either way. Hardly support for
                          me as a moderator.

                          BB: Why do you keep turning this into a personal issue? I dont know you. I have nothing against you as a person or a moderator. 800 subscribers and 4 expressed an opinion, doesnt that set off some alarms for you? Rather than turning this into a "poor Joe" list, like I said before, you, and the other moderators, should be concentrating on the positive, bring more topics to the list. You know, if there was something more interesting on the list, this thread would have fallen off immediately instead its the only chatter.

                          Moving on to your suggestions, you clearly have the knowledge as to how to cure the ills of the list, and the time to carry them out (since you can afford the time to read off-topic posts and act on them).

                          BB: Ya, I clicked on a URL. That took a lot of time. What has taken time is this debate about off topic posts.

                          Why don't you apply your resources and take up the vacant moderator's position? You would certainly have my support in this.

                          Regards,
                          Joe

                          BB: Sure, why not? I guess I can handle five lists.

                          wrote:

                          > Listen, I know that I got blasted for my remark about jaded cynicism. But > Brian seemed genuinely excited about the eagle pics. A sense of wonder is a
                          > sense of wonder. > I also hope that my remark didn't contribute to Joe's walking off. I have > regularly posted things that I thought might spur discussion, but they > didn't. Either people didn't find them interesting, or they, like me, have a > helluva lot of things to do.> Let's not be acrimonious over one slip-up, but at the same time let's not > limit ourselves to such a degree that we become stagnant.
                          >
                          > Peace.
                          > Linette

                        • Diane Harrison
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 13, 2006
                            On 14/04/2006, at 12:58 AM, B. Becker wrote:
                            > I agree, it is unbelievable.

                            I'm new here

                            and this bickering is unbelievable yes???

                            Cheers :)

                            ***********************************
                            Regards Diane Harrison/Frola

                            Editor Hard Evidence Magazine
                            Co Editor The Australasian UFOlogist Magazine.

                            UFOlogist Magazine
                            http://www.ufologistmagzine.com

                            Hard Evidence Magazine
                            http://www.hardevidencemagazine.com.au

                            Coming Conference 2007
                            The 2nd International Scientific &
                            Metaphysical Symposium
                            http://www.auforn.com/sydneyconference2007.html

                            Earthlink Publishing (Aust) Pty Ltd
                            P.O Box 738
                            Jimboomba, 4280
                            Australia.

                            Tel/Fax 0011 61 7 55487205
                            Mobile 0427164677
                          • geoff@thewhyfiles.net
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 13, 2006
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 13, 2006
                                I'm hoping everyone will calm down and we can get a UFO discussion list going again. Though I don't "talk" much, I do read these. Welcome Diane!
                                Crystal

                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 14, 2006
                                  Hi Diane:

                                  Given your position, Editor Hard Evidence Magazine and
                                  Co Editor The Australasian UFOlogist Magazine, is there anything you can contribute to the list in way of conversation. Anything new and interesting? New research?

                                  Barbara Becker

                                  Diane Harrison <auforn@...> wrote:

                                  On 14/04/2006, at 12:58 AM, B. Becker wrote:
                                  > I agree, it is unbelievable.

                                  I'm new here

                                  and this bickering is unbelievable yes???

                                  Cheers :)

                                  ***********************************
                                  Regards Diane Harrison/Frola

                                  Editor Hard Evidence Magazine
                                  Co Editor The Australasian UFOlogist Magazine.

                                  Missouri Investigators Group
                                  http://ufomig.bravehost.com

                                  UFORN: UFO Research Network
                                  http://uforn.bravehost.com

                                • B. Becker
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 19, 2006
                                    Thank you Diane for all the reading material. Being in the US I would love to hear more about Australia and your cases.

                                    Barbara Becker
                                    Missouri Investigators Group

                                    MIG: Missouri Investigators Group
                                    http://ufomig.bravehost.com

                                    UFORN: UFO Research Network
                                    http://uforn.bravehost.com

                                  • major_crisis
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 13, 2013
                                      --- In April 2006, Geoff Richardson posted on my behalf:

                                      <snip>

                                      > Comments like your own own and Linette's demonstrate a lack of
                                      > support from the membership, though this is balanced by comments
                                      > like those from Geoff and Dean. Out of a list with nearly 800
                                      > registered members, only 4 people felt strongly enough about
                                      > topicality to express an opinion either way. Hardly support for
                                      > me as a moderator.

                                      ...and 7 years later, membership has "grown" from 800-ish to 345.

                                      Ufologists get the ufology they deserve again.

                                      Joe