Fwd: Jonathan's Space Report, No. 561

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 2006
      Jonathan's Space Report
      No. 561 2006 Feb 19, Somerville, MA

      Station
      -------

      Expedition 12 astronauts McArthur and Tokarev made a spacewalk on Feb 3
      from the Pirs airlock module using spacesuits Orlan-M No. 25 and No. 27
      respectively. The airlock was depressurized at 2225 UTC; hatch open was
      at 2244 UTC. Surplus spacesuit Orlan-M No. 14, modified into the
      RadioSkaf satellite by addition of amateur radio equipment from
      AMSAT-NA, was jettisoned by hand at 2302 UTC. RadioSkaf was cataloged
      as 2005-35C, associating it with the Progress M-54 launch which brought
      the radio equipment to the station (Orlan-M 14 itself was launched
      aboard Pirs in 2001). As of Feb 18 the suit was still transmitting but
      much more weakly than expected. It has been give the amateur radio
      satellite designation AMSAT-OSCAR 54.

      The astronauts relocated an attachment fixture from Zarya to the PMA3
      docking adapter; failed to add a safing bolt to a cable on the Mobile
      Transporter, and tied down the cable instead. They retrieved the Biorisk
      experiment from the outside of the Pirs module and carried out a photo
      survey of the exterior of the Zvezda module. At 0359 UTC on Feb 3 they
      jettisoned a couple of cleaning towels, and at 0417 they went back
      inside Pirs with hatch closed at 0427 UTC and repressurization beginning
      at 0433 UTC.

      Daichi
      ------

      Japan's Advanced Land Observing Satellite, ALOS (Riku iki kansoku
      gijutsu eisei) was launched on Jan 23 by an H2A from Tanegashima into a
      697 x 697 km x 98 deg orbit and named "Daichi" (Land). Daichi carries an
      L-band synthetic aperture radar, an optical 2.5-meter resolution mapping
      camera, and a 10-meter resolution visible/near-infrared radiometer. JAXA
      (the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency) manages the satellite and was
      apparently also the effective prime contractor, with Mitsubishi, NEC and
      Toshiba as subcontractors.

      The flight 8 H2A launch used a 2022 configuration with two SRB-A large
      strapons, 2 SSB Castor IVL smaller strapons, and a type 5S large
      fairing. The rocket launched southbound from Tanegashima and the second
      stage made a single burn to reach orbit. The H2A launch vehicle is
      operated and marketed by Rocket Systems Corp. (Kabushikigaisha Roketto
      Shisutemu) with actual launch activities carried out by JAXA (Ucyu
      Koukou Kenkyu Kaihatsu Kikou).

      Daichi is in a 697 x 700 km x 98.2 deg orbit; the second stage
      made a depletion burn which lowered it to a 548 x 699 km orbit.

      MTSAT-2
      -------

      Another H2A mission followed on Feb 18, with MTSAT-2 reaching
      geostationary transfer orbit. MTSAT-2, a Multifunctional Transport
      Satellite (Unyu tamokuteki eisei shin), is jointly owned by JCAB (the
      Japan Civil Aviation Bureau, koukuu kyoku) and JMA (Kisho-chou, the
      Japanese Meteorological Agency), both under the Ministry of Land,
      Infrastructure and Transport (Kokudo koutsuushou). Its aeronautical
      payload provides communications relay between aircraft and air traffic
      control, GPS augmentation navigation for aircraft, and transmits the
      location of aircraft to air traffic control. The JAMI (Japan Advanced
      Meteorological Imager) weather camera has one visible and four infrared
      channels. MTSAT-2 was built by Mitsubishi using the new DS2000 bus, and
      has the same general layout as the Loral 1300 satellites used for
      MTSAT-1: a box-shaped bus with a solar panel array on one side and a
      long boom with a small conical solar sail on the opposite side. MTSAT-2
      has a Japanese (IHI) 500N apogee thruster, and its launch mass is 4650
      kg. Span is 30m, and bus size is probably around 4 x 4 x 6m.
      It is likely that MTSAT-2 will be renamed Himawari-7.

      Although there are two launch pads at Tanegashima's Yoshinobu launch
      complex, I believe that both launches used the main (no. 1) pad - in
      fact, I don't think the second pad has ever been used for a launch. Can
      anyone confirm this?

      NIMS
      ----

      As of January 2006, at least NNS (Navy Navigation Satellite) satellites
      O-23, O-25, O-31, O-32 are still operating and part of the NIMS (Navy
      Ionospheric Monitoring System) constellation. O-27 and O-29 may still
      also be alive (O-27 was alive in Jan 2000 but may have fallen silent in
      2001). Thanks to Richard Lang for leads on this issue (see JSR 560).

      New Horizons
      ------------

      New Horizons made its first pair of trajectory corrections, TCM-1A and
      1B, on Jan 28 and 30; TCM-3 is scheduled for March. Pluto flyby
      will be at 1158 UTC on 2015 Jul 14.

      Echostar 10
      -----------

      US television broadcaster Echostar saw the launch of its Echostar 10
      satellite on Feb 15. Echostar 10 is a 4333 kg Lockheed Martin A2100AX
      satellite with a Ku-band comms payload. Launch was by Sea Launch
      Zenit-3SL from the floating Odyssey platform at the equator. At 2348 UTC
      the DM reached a 180 x 2105 km x 0 deg parking orbit. At 0022 UTC on Feb
      16, the DM burned again and delivered Echostar 10 to geostationary
      transfer orbit. The DM separated from Echostar 10 at 0037 UTC.

      Table of Recent Launches
      -----------------------

      Date UT Name Launch Vehicle Site Mission
      INTL.
      DES.
      Dec 21 1838 Progress M-55 Soyuz-U Baykonur LC1/5
      Cargo 47A
      Dec 21 1934 Gonets-D1M ) Kosmos-3M Plesetsk LC132/1
      Comms 48A
      Kosmos-2416 )
      Comms 48B
      Dec 21 2233 Insat 4A ) Ariane 5GS Kourou ELA3
      Comms 49A
      MSG 2 )
      Weather 49B
      Dec 25 0507 Kosmos-2417 ) Proton-K/DM2 Baykonur LC81/23
      Navigation 50A
      Kosmos-2418 )
      Navigation 50B
      Kosmos-2419 )
      Navigation 50C
      Dec 28 0519 GIOVE A Soyuz-FG/Fregat Baykonur LC31/6
      Navigation 51A
      Dec 29 0228 AMC 23 Proton-M/Briz-M Baykonur LC200
      Comms 52A
      Jan 19 1900 New Horizons Atlas V 551 Canaveral SLC41 Pluto
      probe 01A
      Jan 24 0133 Daichi H-2A Tanegashima
      Imaging 02A
      Feb 3 2302 RadioSkaf - Pirs, LEO Amateur
      com 05-35C
      Feb 15 2335 Echostar 10 Zenit-3SL Odyssey, POR
      Comms 03A
      Feb 18 0627 MTSAT-2 H-2A Tanegashima
      Com/Imaging 04A

      .-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
      | Jonathan McDowell | phone : (617) 495-7176 |
      | Somerville MA 02143 | inter : jcm@... |
      | USA | jcm@... |
      | |
      | JSR: http://www.planet4589.org/jsr.html |
      | Back issues: http://www.planet4589.org/space/jsr/back |
      | Subscribe/unsub: mail majordomo@..., (un)subscribe jsr |
    • joyinthehills@peoplepc.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 19, 2006
        this man is an incredible information gatherer. thank you for the website. heartening. someone is doing something on the most important level to empower a lost continent. what's in it for them? sorry . what a list of players . has spawned much curiosity . joy
[...]

        Date UT Name Launch Vehicle Site Mission
[...]

        ufonet-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Website: http://www.ufonet.nl

        further investigation.