The Phoenix Lights Case and book

  • Stuart Miller
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 22, 2006
      List,

      In the interview I did with Dr. Lynn for UFO Review, she did
      make mention to me of some individual within the local MUFON
      chapter who drove her away from the organisation and harrassed
      and pestered her, doing everything he possibly could to
      counteract her affectiveness. She spoke guardedly about this
      person and it was left to the reader to draw their own
      conclusions about this person's motives and indeed the state of
      his mental health.

      Might that individual by some chance be you James?

      Damned disrespectful of her not to listen to you as you appear
      to be the only person around who really knows the truth about
      Phoenix.

      It would appear, by inference at least according to you, that
      every light ever seen above that city was a military flare.

      You're not on or associated with Phoenix city council are you?

      Stuart Miller

      >Hi Geoff,

      >Her accounts were only accurate in date and times of the
      >sightings.

      >She claimed that she was not comfortable with dealing with the
      >local MUFON chapter because of "infighting" occurring their. In
      >reality, the infighting was caused by Bill Hamilton, whom she
      >uses as a credible source in her book. Hamilton quit MUFON when
      >he accused the State Director of tampering with UFO reports
      >given to him by Peter Davenport about the Phoenix Lights. This
      >was not true. The truth is that Bill Hamilton was about to be
      >removed from his position due to credibility issues about his
      >behaivor. This information was relayed to me from ex State
      >Director Tom Taylor, who has since passed away.

      >Dr. Lynn made a wrong judgement about this. Instead of hearing
      >the truth which I offered to give to her, she would not even
      >listen. She joined the cabal of the Jim Diletosso crew and
      >followed down the merry path of believing that he was a
      >professional ufo investigator.

      >Another point about Dr Lynn. She never even expands on the
      >military flare theory in her book. She put her trust in Jim
      >Diletosso. That was her biggest mistake.

      >One other important point. All of her sightings of lights
      >occurred in direct line of the gunnery range where flares were
      >dropped frequently.

      >I guess she forgot to put that in her book.

      >James
    • delchay2005
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 22, 2006
        --- Stuart and list,

        I have never harrassed or pestered anyone in my life. In fact, I am
        very well respected in the UFO community in Phoenix. I have been on
        local radio, television, and even spoke on a panel about the Phoenix
        Lights at Phoenix College. I debated Jim Diletosso and others about
        the sighting. I spoke about the limitations of testing video, due to
        the lack of resolution and distant light at night and how it would
        be almost impossible to use as evidence. When I completed my point
        to the crowd, Diletosso leaned over to me and agreed with my
        statement. After that perculiar response. I asked him if he did
        indeed agree with my statement why did he speak so fondly of his
        video analysis?

        "It's showtime!" Was his response.

        I also spoke the truth about Dr Lynn's first book signing debacle in
        my previous response to Geoff. All you have to do is contact Judy
        Varns , she is the assistant State Director for MUFON in Phoenix,
        and she will verify what happened that night at the event.

        I was given a private email to contact Dr. Lynn. I asked to meet
        with her to discuss the other "side" of the story. I never heard
        from her. That is the only time I attempted to contact her.

        If you want to attack my character, I will not respond to any more
        of your posts. If you want to talk about facts of the case, I will
        be happy to answer any of your questions.

        Just ask yourself one thing though Stuart. Why don't you think the
        military flare theory was covered in her book?

        It was only ridiculed.

        James

        In ufonet@yahoogroups.com, Stuart Miller <Stuart.Miller4@b...> wrote:

        > List,
        >
        > In the interview I did with Dr. Lynn for UFO Review, she did
        > make mention to me of some individual within the local MUFON
        > chapter who drove her away from the organisation and harrassed
        > and pestered her, doing everything he possibly could to
        > counteract her affectiveness. She spoke guardedly about this
        > person and it was left to the reader to draw their own
        > conclusions about this person's motives and indeed the state of
        > his mental health.
        >
        > Might that individual by some chance be you James?
        >
        > Damned disrespectful of her not to listen to you as you appear
        > to be the only person around who really knows the truth about
        > Phoenix.
        >
        > It would appear, by inference at least according to you, that
        > every light ever seen above that city was a military flare.
        >
        > You're not on or associated with Phoenix city council are you?
        >

        > Stuart Miller
        >
        > >Hi Geoff,
        >
        > >Her accounts were only accurate in date and times of the
        > >sightings.
        >
        > >She claimed that she was not comfortable with dealing with the
        > >local MUFON chapter because of "infighting" occurring their. In
        > >reality, the infighting was caused by Bill Hamilton, whom she
        > >uses as a credible source in her book. Hamilton quit MUFON when
        > >he accused the State Director of tampering with UFO reports
        > >given to him by Peter Davenport about the Phoenix Lights. This
        > >was not true. The truth is that Bill Hamilton was about to be
        > >removed from his position due to credibility issues about his
        > >behaivor. This information was relayed to me from ex State
        > >Director Tom Taylor, who has since passed away.
        >
        > >Dr. Lynn made a wrong judgement about this. Instead of hearing
        > >the truth which I offered to give to her, she would not even
        > >listen. She joined the cabal of the Jim Diletosso crew and
        > >followed down the merry path of believing that he was a
        > >professional ufo investigator.
        >
        > >Another point about Dr Lynn. She never even expands on the
        > >military flare theory in her book. She put her trust in Jim
        > >Diletosso. That was her biggest mistake.
        >
        > >One other important point. All of her sightings of lights
        > >occurred in direct line of the gunnery range where flares were
        > >dropped frequently.
        >
        > >I guess she forgot to put that in her book.
        >
        > >James

      • Stuart Miller
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 23, 2006
          Hi James,

          Might as well deal with the contradictions first;

          I'd be happy to stop attacking or criticising your character, or
          whatever, but there is a similar request transmitted to me
          psychically by Dr. Lynn, Jim D. and Bill H.. They tell me they
          would prefer not to read the insinuations about their integrity
          on this mesage board also.

          You tell me the military flare theory wasn't covered in Dr.
          Lynn's book, it was only ridiculed. So it was covered then?
          Just, you didn't agree with her conclusions, it would appear.

          Of more interest to me though is this. "What" was military
          flares? Which sighting? All of them? The March '97? Which, what,
          when??

          Stuart

          wrote:

          > List,
          >
          > In the interview I did with Dr. Lynn for UFO Review, she did
          > make mention to me of some individual within the local MUFON
          > chapter who drove her away from the organisation and harrassed
          > and pestered her, doing everything he possibly could to
          > counteract her affectiveness. She spoke guardedly about this
          > person and it was left to the reader to draw their own
          > conclusions about this person's motives and indeed the state
          of
          > his mental health.
          >
          > Might that individual by some chance be you James?
          >
          > Damned disrespectful of her not to listen to you as you appear
          > to be the only person around who really knows the truth about
          > Phoenix.
          >
          > It would appear, by inference at least according to you, that
          > every light ever seen above that city was a military flare.
          >
          > You're not on or associated with Phoenix city council are you?
          >

          > Stuart Miller
          >
          > >Hi Geoff,
          >
          > >Her accounts were only accurate in date and times of the
          > >sightings.
          >
          > >She claimed that she was not comfortable with dealing with
          the
          > >local MUFON chapter because of "infighting" occurring their.
          In
          > >reality, the infighting was caused by Bill Hamilton, whom she
          > >uses as a credible source in her book. Hamilton quit MUFON
          when
          > >he accused the State Director of tampering with UFO reports
          > >given to him by Peter Davenport about the Phoenix Lights.
          This
          > >was not true. The truth is that Bill Hamilton was about to be
          > >removed from his position due to credibility issues about his
          > >behaivor. This information was relayed to me from ex State
          > >Director Tom Taylor, who has since passed away.
          >
          > >Dr. Lynn made a wrong judgement about this. Instead of
          hearing
          > >the truth which I offered to give to her, she would not even
          > >listen. She joined the cabal of the Jim Diletosso crew and
          > >followed down the merry path of believing that he was a
          > >professional ufo investigator.
          >
          > >Another point about Dr Lynn. She never even expands on the
          > >military flare theory in her book. She put her trust in Jim
          > >Diletosso. That was her biggest mistake.
          >
          > >One other important point. All of her sightings of lights
          > >occurred in direct line of the gunnery range where flares
          were
          > >dropped frequently.
          >
          > >I guess she forgot to put that in her book.
          >
          > >James

          UFOnet is an international news and discussion list dedicated
          to:

          ufonet-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Website: http://www.ufonet.nl

          Caution, many reports of unidentified phenomena posted to this
          list require
          further investigation.

          Extraterrestrial
          life Paranormal phenomena
          Unidentified flying objects

          Service.

          ---------------------------------
        • geoff@thewhyfiles.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 23, 2006
            James,
            My review of Dr. Lynn's book has been published at
            http://www.thewhyfiles.net/phoenixlights.htm
            for about two years. Plus it has appeared on a number of other websites,
            mailing lists, forums and Amazon Books for the same period.
            Why after this length of time do you start to question it?
            As far as the flare theory goes I believe that the analysis of the flares
            (performed by a company in California?) was proven to be inaccurate or
            possibly even worse that inaccurate. I also believe that a comment to this
            extent is in Dr. Lynn's book.
            As yet I haven't had time to check the exact quote/page.
            However, are we debating the events, the book about the events, the people
            involved in interpreting the events, the people involved in writing a book
            about the events or my review of the book?
            I have lost track. It is fine for you to state that you disagree with my
            review, no problems there. But to evaluate a book using MUFON politics and
            personal differences as guidelines is wrong.
            Tell you what, write a review of the book yourself and publish it via UFOnet
            etc.. and on your own website. That way we can come to some decision
            regarding your points of view in the matter.
            Cheers,
            Geoff

> [...]
            >> >was not true. The truth is that Bill Hamilton was about to be
            >> >removed from his position due to credibility issues about his
            >> >behaivor. This information was relayed to me from ex State
            >> >Director Tom Taylor, who has since passed away.
            >>
            >> >Dr. Lynn made a wrong judgement about this. Instead of hearing
            >> >the truth which I offered to give to her, she would not even
            >> >listen. She joined the cabal of the Jim Diletosso crew and
            >> >followed down the merry path of believing that he was a
            >> >professional ufo investigator.
            >>
            >> >Another point about Dr Lynn. She never even expands on the
            >> >military flare theory in her book. She put her trust in Jim
            >> >Diletosso. That was her biggest mistake.
            >>
            >> >One other important point. All of her sightings of lights
            >> >occurred in direct line of the gunnery range where flares were
            >> >dropped frequently.
            >>
            >> >I guess she forgot to put that in her book.

          • delchay2005
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 23, 2006
              ---
              >I'd be happy to stop attacking or criticising your character, or
              >whatever, but there is a similar request transmitted to me
              >psychically by Dr. Lynn, Jim D. and Bill H.. They tell me they
              >would prefer not to read the insinuations about their integrity
              >on this mesage board also.

              Of course they don't want to read it because it's true. I have given
              you the name of a witness to verify what happened at the book
              signing. Are you afraid to verify it? Or, have you sipped the koolaid
              too?

              Dr Lynn believed in these people. But, when you write a book about an
              important UFO incident such as this, should you not present both
              sides of the flare theory? She just mocked it.

              Did you read the investigative article written by reporter Tony
              Ortega of the New Times called the Hack and the Quack? I will provide
              you with the link if you have not. Hamilton called it a "hack job"
              since it was ctiticizing Jim Diletosso. Hamilton informed me that
              Ortega apologized to Jim D. about the content.

              Suspicious of this, I tracked down Mr. Ortega, who was now working
              out of the L.A office for the New Times. Ortega informed me that
              Hamilton was lying and that he stood by his article. He had never
              apologized to Jim D. I have his phone number if you want to run that
              lead down to? Or, do you care about the truth?

              As far as the actual sighting, I am only commenting on the March 13,
              1997 episode. It would be irresponsible to comment on her other
              sightings that she took previously.

            • delchay2005
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 23, 2006
                ---
                Richard Motzer's triangulation and timeline of events that occurred
                that evening were published in the MUFON UFO journal. Richard poured
                his own money into the investigation and produced a short video on
                the 10:00 PM event. His investigation has been supported by many top
                Ufologists including Bruce Macabbee, a top rearcher in the field. He
                has a whole section devoted to the Phoenix Lights.

                Did Dr. Lynn cover this in her book. Nope. Not a word. If you are
                going to write a comprehensive book about this case, would'nt you
                want to cover both sides of the equation?

                I have been speaking out on this subject for many years on a local
                level. The incidents I cited to my post to Stuart are the truth and
                can be verified.

                It is unfortunate that people do not research something and
                automatically believe what is told to them on television and in book
                form.

                I think what happened with the Phoenix Lights is there was a media
                frenzy fueled by greed of selling footage taken that night of March
                13th. I do not think Dr Lynn was a part of that. I think she was
                duped in believing in a man that should not be taken seriosly as a
                credible UFO investigator.

                Please go to the UFOwatchdog website. You can read all about Mr.
                Delettoso in the UFO Hall of Shame section which will provide you
                eith a link to the investigative report on him by the New Times
                reporter Tony Ortega.

                Don't drink the Koolaid on the Phoenix Lights case Geoff, get the
                facts.

                James

                In ufonet@yahoogroups.com, <geoff@t...> wrote:

                > James,
                > My review of Dr. Lynn's book has been published at
                > http://www.thewhyfiles.net/phoenixlights.htm
                > for about two years. Plus it has appeared on a number of other
                websites,
                > mailing lists, forums and Amazon Books for the same period.
                > Why after this length of time do you start to question it?
                > As far as the flare theory goes I believe that the analysis of the
                flares
                > (performed by a company in California?) was proven to be inaccurate
                or
                > possibly even worse that inaccurate. I also believe that a comment
                to this
                > extent is in Dr. Lynn's book.
                > As yet I haven't had time to check the exact quote/page.
                > However, are we debating the events, the book about the events, the
                people
                > involved in interpreting the events, the people involved in writing
                a book
                > about the events or my review of the book?
                > I have lost track. It is fine for you to state that you disagree
                with my
                > review, no problems there. But to evaluate a book using MUFON
                politics and
                > personal differences as guidelines is wrong.
                > Tell you what, write a review of the book yourself and publish it
                via UFOnet
                > etc.. and on your own website. That way we can come to some
                decision
                > regarding your points of view in the matter.
                > Cheers,
                > Geoff

              • Geoff Richardson
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 24, 2006
                  Hi James,
                  Regardless of what you regard as convenient omissions from Dr. Lynn's book I do hope that you have done me the courtesy of at least reading the whole of www.thewhyfiles.net/phoenixlights.htm

                  On occasion I have found that The WHY? Files have been automatically criticised and it is painfully obvious to me that they haven't even bothered to read the very content that is being referred to( quite common in what some cowardly and self-important people like to describe as blogs).

                  Tell you what, James, write a decent critique of Dr. Lynn's book and we will publish it on The WHY? Files - it will get at least a little attention as we have achieved in excess of 40 million hits in 18 months.

                  As far as your comments regarding Jim D. are concerned I can tell you that about 2 years ago I used the phrase "UFO Community" in a posting on a UFO group. I have to tell you that some members of that group were quite adamant that the use of the word "community" was almost ridiculous after the character assassination that Jim D. had recently suffered at the hands of (presumably) your buddies. There are two sides (or more) to most stories and this certainly applies to Jim D.
                  There you are James, the offer stands - write a decent and accurate response and it will be added to the Phoenix Lights page of The WHY? Files.
                  Best,
                  Geoff

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 24, 2006
                    ---
                    Geoff and Stuart

                    Thank you for the offer Geoff. It you would just provide the link to
                    the Printy article that was on UFO watchdog that would suffice. It is
                    the best summation of the events that evening and would give a
                    balance to the outragious claims of Jim Dilettoso and his silly, non-
                    scientific investigation of the lights.

                    I will give Jim credit though. He was a master of manipulating the
                    press, which is the real culprit here. Not checking out the
                    background of this man and believing in his techniques was a faulty
                    judgment of all who believed in the Phoenix Lights case.
                    His testing technique of the flare footage was so bizarre and
                    inaccurate that it had all of us scratching our collective heads.

                    You see, you can't test flare lights and compare them to street
                    lamps. Each image has their own grahic make up. Even if they are
                    positioned side by side. Diletosso attempted to scam everyone.It is
                    impossible to test such footage due to the lack of resolution on
                    video tape. He actually admitted that this was correct at the Phoenix
                    College debate that we had.

                    But the press bought it, and so many other people did too. I was in
                    Dick Motzer's film lab and saw his testing methods. They were to be
                    commended. He did a frame by frame comparrison on the grainy "V"
                    formation, you can acually see independant movement of objects within
                    the "V" proving that they were nothing more than a group of planes.

                    Of course that was not in Dr. Lynn's book either.

                    I sat in Tom King's photo lab and saw how he checked the movement of
                    the flare lights in conjunction with wind direction. He then realized
                    after first believing that they were orbs, admitting now that they
                    were nothing but military flares. That shows credibility to admit
                    when your wrong.Tom King was with Bill Hamilton the night of March
                    13, 1997 and took extensive footage.

                    That was not in Dr Lynn's book either.

                    As far as character assasination is concerned. I have given you the
                    names of the people that can verify what I have said, It is the truth
                    and I stand by my comments.

                    I can go on and on about Bill Hamilton too but I won't. I will tell
                    you a humerous tid bit though. He did a two part story on the Phoenix
                    Lights for UFO magazine a few years ago. He used a photograph of
                    supposed flare lights and in the caption it posed the question of "Do
                    these look like the Phoenix Lights Flares?" I am paraphrasing the
                    question, but it made it seem as though these were flare photos taken
                    in Arizona. In reality, they were photos taken in an out-of-state
                    military gunnery range and sent to the MUFON State Director to show
                    him what flare footage looked like. The picture was sent to him by
                    John Schussler. Schussler sent UFO Magazine a letter stating this. Do
                    you think Hamilton ever responded? Nope!!!!!!!!!!!

                    In Ufology, you have to check the messenger before you believe in the
                    message.

                    The real mystery of this case involves the earlier 8:30 PM event.
                    That is what should be debated now.

                    James

                    In ufonet@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff Richardson" <Geoffrich@f...> wrote:

                    > Hi James,
                    > Regardless of what you regard as convenient omissions from Dr.
                    Lynn's book I do hope that you have done me the courtesy of at least
                    reading the whole of www.thewhyfiles.net/phoenixlights.htm

                    > On occasion I have found that The WHY? Files have been
                    automatically criticised and it is painfully obvious to me that they
                    haven't even bothered to read the very content that is being referred
                    to( quite common in what some cowardly and self-important people like
                    to describe as blogs).

                    > Tell you what, James, write a decent critique of Dr. Lynn's book
                    and we will publish it on The WHY? Files - it will get at least a
                    little attention as we have achieved in excess of 40 million hits in
                    18 months.

                    > As far as your comments regarding Jim D. are concerned I can tell
                    you that about 2 years ago I used the phrase "UFO Community" in a
                    posting on a UFO group. I have to tell you that some members of that
                    group were quite adamant that the use of the word "community" was
                    almost ridiculous after the character assassination that Jim D. had
                    recently suffered at the hands of (presumably) your buddies. There
                    are two sides (or more) to most stories and this certainly applies to
                    Jim D.
                    > There you are James, the offer stands - write a decent and accurate
                    response and it will be added to the Phoenix Lights page of The WHY?
                    Files.
                    > Best,
                    > Geoff

                  • Geoff Richardson
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 24, 2006
                      The real mystery of this case involves the earlier 8:30 PM event.
                      That is what should be debated now.

                      Exactly, both before and after the event which is known as The Phoenix Lights there were, in my limited opinion, events which seem to be conveniently ignored.

                      James, I won't provide a link to UFO Watchdog as Royce did, in fact, make a very inaccurate remark about The WHY? Files some years ago.
                      It didn't really bother me at the time as it was said in passing to someone else in an email. However, what bothers me is just what would he make of someone else who made a similar error? Jump on them from a great height?

                      Best,
                      Geoff