The festive food frenzy

  • Joe (uk-ufo) McGonagle
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 22, 2005
      The festive food frenzy
      21/12/2005 - 0600 hours, 24 December - touched down on planet
      earth, life force appears rounded and inert.

      2100 hours 24 December - Life force, known as humans,
      continuously consuming what appear to be sweet edible objects and
      drinking liquids of all colours that appear to be causing erratic
      movements accompanied by music but in no observable rhythmic
      motion.
      1300 hours 25 December - Consumption appears to have spiraled out
      of control. At one sitting the humans appeared to eat huge
      amounts of all possible foods- fish, bread, animal, vegetables,
      baked goods, dairy products and then unbelievably, more sweet
      things. It's incredible!

      To an alien species, the activities of the festive period must
      appear bizarre. This is consumption writ large.

      The average person will gain 5lbs (2kg) over Christmas, having
      eaten their way through 6000 calories on Christmas Day alone -
      three times the necessary amount.

      For food retailers, this Christmas will bring a record groceries
      take of £3.3 billion this week alone, according to market
      analysts at TNS.

      While Deloitte's Christmas spending survey shows that across the
      whole Christmas period, British shoppers will spend a massive
      £7.6 billion on food and drink.

      The mountain this buys will include 30 million turkeys with a
      market value of £305 million, along with almost 3,000 tonnes of
      aluminium foil to wrap the Christmas birds.

      Even the love-or-hate brussel sprout will sell to the tune of
      15,000 tonnes: 14 for every British man, woman and child.

      And a whopping 175 million mince pies will be bought, worth £45m,
      together with 5.5 million jars of mincemeat.

      The Christmas pile of mince pies alone, if stacked on top of each
      other, would stretch 3262 miles high - almost 600 times the
      height of Mount Everest.

      But if aliens are truly searching for the greatest signs of
      excess, they must head to the north-east of the UK, and watch the
      men. Folks from the North East of England will be investing £178
      per household on Christmas fare, compared with £119 among the
      moderate East Anglians. And across the UK, men will consume £167
      in food and drink, compared with £153 for women.

      Which sets up January for the ethnographic study of dieting in
      action.

      Leah Vyse, FoodandDrinkEurope

      http://www.meatprocess.com
      http://tinyurl.com/cr4uk
    • Linette Sukup
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 22, 2005
        Blame Chuck Dickens. The shop window descriptions in _A _Christmas _Carol
        must have been subliminal advertising of the time.

        Peace.
        Linette

        > 21/12/2005 - 0600 hours, 24 December - touched down on planet
        > earth, life force appears rounded and inert.
        >
        > 2100 hours 24 December - Life force, known as humans,
        > continuously consuming what appear to be sweet edible objects and
        > drinking liquids of all colours that appear to be causing erratic
        > movements accompanied by music but in no observable rhythmic
        > motion.
        > 1300 hours 25 December - Consumption appears to have spiraled out
        > of control. At one sitting the humans appeared to eat huge
        > amounts of all possible foods- fish, bread, animal, vegetables,
        > baked goods, dairy products and then unbelievably, more sweet
        > things. It's incredible!
        >
        > To an alien species, the activities of the festive period must
        > appear bizarre. This is consumption writ large.
        >
        > The average person will gain 5lbs (2kg) over Christmas, having
        > eaten their way through 6000 calories on Christmas Day alone -
        > three times the necessary amount.
        >
        > For food retailers, this Christmas will bring a record groceries
        > take of £3.3 billion this week alone, according to market
        > analysts at TNS.
        >
        > While Deloitte's Christmas spending survey shows that across the
        > whole Christmas period, British shoppers will spend a massive
        > £7.6 billion on food and drink.
        >
        > The mountain this buys will include 30 million turkeys with a
        > market value of £305 million, along with almost 3,000 tonnes of
        > aluminium foil to wrap the Christmas birds.
        >
        > Even the love-or-hate brussel sprout will sell to the tune of
        > 15,000 tonnes: 14 for every British man, woman and child.
        >
        > And a whopping 175 million mince pies will be bought, worth £45m,
        > together with 5.5 million jars of mincemeat.
        >
        > The Christmas pile of mince pies alone, if stacked on top of each
        > other, would stretch 3262 miles high - almost 600 times the
        > height of Mount Everest.
        >
        > But if aliens are truly searching for the greatest signs of
        > excess, they must head to the north-east of the UK, and watch the
        > men. Folks from the North East of England will be investing £178
        > per household on Christmas fare, compared with £119 among the
        > moderate East Anglians. And across the UK, men will consume £167
        > in food and drink, compared with £153 for women.
        >
        > Which sets up January for the ethnographic study of dieting in
        > action.
        >
        > Leah Vyse, FoodandDrinkEurope
        >
        > http://www.meatprocess.com
        > http://tinyurl.com/cr4uk

        > ufonet-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > Website: http://www.ufonet.nl

        > require
        > further investigation.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > --

      • Joe (uk-ufo) McGonagle
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4 10:02 AM
          Apologies for the delayed posts during the holiday period. The
          moderators are just as constrained as everyone else is when it comes to
          time during the Christmas Holiday period.

          Regards,

          Joe
        • Philip Mantle
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5 4:37 AM
            Hi there,

            I'd like to ask if you have or know anyone who might have a contact for
            Kenneth Arnold's daughter. Any assistance with this request would be greatly
            appreciated and please feel free to pass this request onto others if you
            think they might be able to help.

            Regards,

            Philip Mantle.

            philip@...