Fwd: [UASR]> FWD (UFO UpDate) New York Times Vs. *U* UFO Database

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2005
      ------- Forwarded message -------
      From: "Terry W. Colvin" <fortean1@...>
      To: "Forteana [Alternate Orphan]" <forteana@yahoogroups.com>,
      IUFO@yahoogroups.com, skeptic@..., uasr@...
      Subject: [UASR]> FWD (UFO UpDate) New York Times Vs. *U* UFO Database
      Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 05:07:35 +0100

      From: Larry Hatch <larryhatch@...>

      To: UFO UpDates - Toronto <ufoupdates@...>
      Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 14:08:57 -0800
      Subject: New York Times Vs. *U* UFO Database

      Hello all:

      Professor Allan Mazur of Syracuse University has done a study
      comparing sightings frequencies over the years, plotting a
      normalized graph of NYT counts (in black) and *U* Database
      counts (in red) in this new article online:

      http://faculty.maxwell.syr.edu/amazur/hatchufodata.htm

      I was surprised at the apparent level of agreement, suggesting
      press coverage and *U* counts correlate fairly strongly.

      One interesting thing is that my peak at 1968 came after the NYT
      peak in 1967, while my 1995 peak came before the NYT peak in
      1997.

      Per his Syracuse University curriculum vitae: Allan Mazur, a
      sociologist and an engineer, is professor of public affairs in
      the Maxwell School of Syracuse University (NY), where he has
      taught since 1971. Prior to that he was a member of the social
      science faculties of MIT and Stanford University, and he has
      worked for some years in the aerospace industry. He has a B.S.
      in physics (IIT, 1961), and M.S. in engineering (UCLA, 1964) and
      a Ph.D. in sociology (Johns Hopkins, 1969).

      I presume Mazur will be completing a paper before long, one
      which will examine the statistics etc. in terms of sociology
      rather than anything anomalous or of a nuts-and-bolts nature.

      Best wishes

      - Larry Hatch