Nick Pope's Column

    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 2, 2005
      December 2005 - January 2006

      Weird World
      NICK POPE

      http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/December_2005_-_January_2006/243.cntns

      Welcome to the joint December 2005 and January 2006 round up of news and
      views on UFOs, alien abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the
      unexplained, the weird and the wonderful.

      Rendlesham Forest UFO Incident - 25th Anniversary

      Christmas and the New Year sees the 25th anniversary of the Rendlesham
      Forest UFO incident and the subsequent official investigation. This is the
      most compelling UFO encounter ever to have taken place in Britain and has
      generated a massive amount of interest not just from UFO researchers but
      from the media and the public. There are several books on the incident,
      the best known of which is You Can't Tell The People, authored by Hot
      Gossip Editor in Chief Georgina Bruni. The title reflects a conversation
      Georgina had with former PM Baroness Thatcher at a charity function in
      1997, when they were discussing UFOs. Baroness Thatcher said "you can't
      tell the people" in response to a question Georgina posed about UFOs, but
      refused to elaborate on her cryptic remark. Various events are planned to
      mark the 25th anniversary, including a vigil and skywatch at RAF
      Bentwaters, a commemorative event organised by the Forestry Commission,
      and various media features.

      Daily Express Rendlesham Article

      On Saturday November 19 the Daily Express carried a major, double page
      feature on the Rendlesham Forest incident. I was pleased about this, not
      least because I wrote it. The paper had commissioned the 2000 word article
      from me the week before and was therefore the first newspaper to run the
      story in the run up to the anniversary. UFO researchers often complain
      that the media misrepresent ufology or take their comments out of context.
      Obtaining a commission gets around these problems and the only changes to
      my article were minor editorial ones. I am pleased to have been able to
      play a part in kick starting the media interest in the anniversary. The
      article has generated much wider interest and Georgina Bruni and I have
      already conducted a live interview on BBC Radio Suffolk. December and
      January will see further media features on this intriguing case.

      The Material World

      The prestigious BBC Radio 4 science programme The Material World recently
      ran a feature on the alien abduction phenomenon, with Professor Chris
      French and I debating the subject with presenter Quentin Cooper. Needless
      to say, it is a major coup to get the subject discussed on such a
      mainstream programme. Click on http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/
      science/thematerialworld_20051103.shtml to listen to the show.

      California Lecture Tour

      I have just returned from a brief lecture tour in California, where I gave
      talks in Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego. I had a hectic schedule
      but very much welcomed the chance to promote British ufology to American
      audiences, meet some old friends and meet some new ones. Click on
      www.mufonla.com/videoorder.htm for details of how to order the 2 hour DVD
      of my lecture, which was entitled The Real X-Files: The Inside Story of
      the British Government's UFO Project.

      Sopranos

      I do not normally do restaurant reviews, and this is more by way of a
      thank you. During my recent lecture tour in California I arrived quite
      late at my hotel in Costa Mesa. I looked around the neighbourhood, but
      there was only one restaurant within walking distance. I went in and
      ordered a beer. It had been a long day and I was still recovering from my
      ten hour flight to Los Angeles. Unfortunately, the kitchen had closed and
      the staff were clearing up. I was resigning myself to the situation when
      the manager realised that I had been travelling all day and had come from
      the UK. Five minutes later, a delicious and piping hot plate of spaghetti
      and meatballs appeared, while the manager stayed on after hours, until I
      finished. So thank you Sopranos, for your great food and hospitality.
      Check www.sopranoseatery.com for details. As I arrived, two regulars were
      leaving. They said the food was fantastic and I should eat there again. I
      am only sorry that, because of my schedule, I never got the chance.

      Threshold

      Threshold is an exciting new science fiction show that is getting a lot of
      people talking. It is running on CBS in America and on Sky One in the UK.
      The lead character is Molly Caffrey, a worst-case scenario planner, paid
      to think the unthinkable. When an unidentified object enters the
      atmosphere and encounters a trawler, the woman who wrote the contingency
      plan is tasked by the US Government with running the operation to deal
      with the situation. She puts together a mixed team of experts and
      investigates. With the trawler crew either dead or missing and with
      strange events occurring on the mainland, time is running out. The media
      in the UK have drawn parallels between Molly Caffrey and me and I have
      given a number of interviews based around the question, what would we do
      if aliens really invaded? The media wanted to know about the real
      worst-case scenario planner thought of the series, and what my plan was. I
      helped in so far as I could, though I was reluctant to go into too many
      details.

      The Science of Aliens

      A new exhibition called The Science of Aliens has recently opened at the
      Science Museum. The exhibition covers a wide range of areas, including
      SETI and speculation as the what alien life might be like, but includes
      some material about UFOs and alien abductions. Check out
      http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/aliens/ for details of the exhibition. I
      took part in a debate organised as part of this event and am doing some
      other work to help promote the exhibition.

      An American Demonology

      Now published and written by the self-styled bad man of ufology comes
      possibly one of the most important UFO books to have hit the bookshelves
      for some time. An American Demonology is a biography of Captain Edward
      Ruppelt, a United States Air Force officer who ran Project Blue Book, the
      US Government UFO Project. Ruppelt went on to write The Report on
      Unidentified Flying Objects, arguably the most important UFO book ever
      written. Bennett delves into the work and the mindset of this
      extraordinary character and in doing so says much about UFOs, ufology and
      America in the Fifties. Jerome Clark wrote the foreword and I wrote the
      introduction. Bennett is an experienced biographer whose previous subjects
      have been Charles Fort and George Adamski. Check out Amazon and all the
      other usual book sites for details of how to order.

      Crop Circle Sale

      Crop circle researcher Colin Andrews is selling his extensive database and
      archive, covering 22 years of research into the crop circle mystery. The
      collection is up for sale on eBay. This has itself generated much debate
      among crop circle researchers and ufologists, and an article in the
      Western Daily Press, to which Colin Andrews took great exception. Check
      out www.cropcircleinfo.com for details of the auction.

      Seasons Greetings

      Finally, I would like to wish all my readers a Merry Christmas and a Happy
      New Year. In particular, my thoughts are with the brave men and women
      currently serving with British, American and other allied Forces in Iraq,
      Afghanistan and other overseas locations. You may be far from home, but
      you are still in our thoughts. Stay safe.

      © Knight International
      www.knight-intl.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 13, 2006
        February 2006

        Weird World
        NICK POPE

        http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/February_2006/252.cntns

        Welcome to the February 2006 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
        abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
        weird and the wonderful.

        The Rendlesham Forest UFO Case

        There was extensive media coverage of the 25th anniversary of the
        Rendlesham Forest UFO incident, which occurred over the Christmas period
        in 1980. This is the most compelling UFO encounter ever to have taken
        place in Britain and has generated a massive amount of interest not just
        from UFO researchers but from the media and the public. There are several
        books on the incident, the best known of which is You Can't Tell The
        People, authored by Hot Gossip Editor in Chief Georgina Bruni. The 25th
        anniversary media coverage included a two page article that I was
        commissioned to write for the Daily Express, a major feature in The Sun,
        national radio features on BBC Radio Five Live and Talk Sport, and a whole
        host of other regional newspaper and radio coverage. I also did an outside
        broadcast live from the forest for the new Channel 4 breakfast show,
        Morning Glory.

        Left At East Gate

        The other well known book on the Rendlesham Forest UFO incident is Left at
        East Gate, co-authored by Larry Warren and Peter Robbins. This book has
        recently been updated and republished by Cosimo-on-Demand. Order through
        Amazon or all the other usual sites for books, making sure that you get
        hold of the new, updated version. Peter Robbins spent much of December in
        the UK and gave a number of lectures about the Rendlesham Forest incident
        to UFO groups around the country, and spent the 25th anniversary itself in
        the forest with Larry Warren and die-hard UFO enthusiasts who braved
        sub-zero temperatures to mark the event.

        Kittie Klaw

        I recently met up with one of the most extraordinary paranormal
        investigators in the UK, the multi-talented Kittie Klaw. As well as being
        an expert on all matters paranormal and psychic, Kittie is involved in a
        wide range of dancing, acting and modelling. One of her ventures is the
        Ministry of Burlesque, currently launching Battle of Burlesque - a sort of
        Search for a Star for the world of glamorous cabaret performers. Check out
        www.ministryofburlesque.com for the details of this series of events and
        check out www.kittieklaw.com for more information about this
        extraordinarily talented performer. Kittie and I decided that a little
        collaboration would be in order, on various projects, so watch this space.
        Ministry of Defence meets Ministry of Burlesque. Interesting.

        Britain's Roswell

        OK, this is yet another story about the Rendlesham Forest UFO incident,
        but I make no apologies, because this has been a massive story here in the
        UK over recent weeks. There are numerous documentaries on the subject,
        including the Sci-Fi Channel show UFO Invasion at Rendlesham. Now The
        History Channel have a new show on the incident, featuring Charles Halt,
        James Penniston, John Burroughs, Georgina Bruni, Peter Robbins, Larry
        Warren and myself, among others. The documentary was shown first last
        month, but has been repeated several times. Check your TV schedules for
        details.

        Dana Centre

        The Dana Centre at the Science Museum are holding another event that will
        cover UFOs and aliens. Taking place from 6pm through to 11pm on Friday 17
        February, the event is free, but booking is essential. The Dana Centre is
        all about making science fun and making people think about contemporary
        scientific issues. This is the third of these Science Museum events in
        which I have participated and I welcome the fact that they are prepared
        increasingly to look at featuring discussions, debates and events on alien
        life, UFOs and abductions. It is a welcome sign that such subjects are
        becoming more mainstream. At the last such event, the TV cameras turned up
        and I appeared live on London Tonight, so watch this space. Check out
        www.danacentre.org.uk for details out the event and www.danacentre.org.uk
        for details of the Dana Centre and some of their other events.

        The World's Strangest UFO Stories

        A new series looking at UFOs has started on the Discovery Channel here in
        the UK. The World's Strangest UFO Stories started on 15 January and will
        run for several weeks on Sunday evenings, at 10pm, examining various weird
        and wonderful UFO incidents. Stories featured include the incredible
        claims of jazz singer Pamela Stonebrook, who says that she has had sex
        with a six foot tall reptilian extraterrestrial. Check TV listings for the
        Discovery Channel series, and www.intergalacticdiva.com for information
        about Pamela Stonebrook.

        Off The Page

        I recently recorded an edition of the prestigious BBC Radio 4 show, Off
        The Page, where I debated the question 'Are We Alone?'. The programme airs
        on Friday nights at 11pm and my show will probably be played on Friday 3
        February. Yet another example of discussions about UFOs getting an
        increasingly mainstream and Establishment audience.

        Invasion

        Mainstream television interest in all things alien continues with Channel
        4 showing the new US cult sci-fi series Invasion. The series begins with a
        hurricane in Florida, strange lights in the sky, and the mysterious
        involvement of the United States Air Force. As the series unfolds,
        weirdness and paranoia increase, as the small community of Homestead
        struggles to rebuild itself. But is Homestead the only place in danger, or
        is the entire human race in peril?

        Phenomena Magazine

        For anyone with an interest in UFOs, the unexplained, the paranormal, the
        mysterious and the esoteric, Phenomena Magazine is well worth your time.
        Updated daily by the prolific editor Robin Crookshank-Hilton, the site is
        packed full of interesting news stories, in depth features and interviews.
        Check http://phenomena.cinescape.com for the magazine, and
        http://phenomena.cinescape.com/0/Editorial.asp (or search for my name once
        in the site) for probably the lengthiest interview I have given in recent
        years.

        Ed's Note:

        Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an overview
        of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official Ministry of
        Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an overview of the
        alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and Operation Lightning
        Strike are science fiction novels about alien invasion, incorporating UFO
        and abduction data. All four titles are available from most good bookshops
        and all the usual Internet book sites.

        Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

        © Knight International
        www.knight-intl.com