Couple undaunted by house’s ghostly history

  • Dr. Daniel Nephilim
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11 10:16 AM

      Front Page November 9, 2005

      Couple undaunted by house’s ghostly history
      Ayers Allen House on Durham Ave. predates the
      Revolutionary War
      Staff Writer

      People knock on their door, peer through their
      windows, and even ask if they are devil worshippers.
      But that doesn’t bother Steven and Tyreen Reuter.

      “We try to be nice and tell them, ‘No, we are not
      Satanists or worshippers of the devil,’ ” said Tyreen.

      The Reuters and their baby son live in the Ayers Allen
      House on Durham Avenue in Metuchen, which dates back
      to the 1700s. Some say the building is haunted.

      “We haven’t seen a ghost,” said Steven. “But strange
      things have happened.”

      Strange enough for them to believe that several ghosts
      are present in the house, including one they call
      Jonathan, who watches over the house.

      “We believe the ghost is very protective of the
      house,” said Tyreen.

      The previous owner, Louise King, lived in the house
      for almost 50 years. She and her husband, Samuel,
      bought the house in 1948. Samuel King died 20 years

      Louise King said she saw the ghosts and was very fond
      of them, according to the information Tyreen wrote for
      the Metuchen Edison Historical Society.

      King, a former schoolteacher, had many experiences
      with ghosts and would tell her stories to her

      In 1960, she allowed Hans Holzer, a famous
      ghost-hunter, to conduct a seance in the house with
      Ethel Meyers, a medium. But she made Holzer promise
      not to scare away any of “her” ghosts, said Tyreen.

      Tyreen and Louise King have more in common that just
      the Ayers-Allen House.

      “I am originally from northwestern Connecticut, and
      she had been the previous owner of the house I grew up
      in,” said Tyreen.

      The Reuters were house hunting in 1998 and wanted an
      older home, a “fixer-upper” said Tyreen.

      “This house was the last house the Realtor showed us,”
      she said.

      The house had not been lived in for two years and was
      unkempt, she said.

      The Reuters looked at the home one day with several
      other people and the agent.

      “One of the girls was complaining that the house was
      dirty and they should change a lot of things, and the
      real estate agent was agreeing with her,” said Tyreen.
      “We were downstairs in the basement and they were on
      the second floor, when we heard her [the real estate
      agent] fall down the stairs.”

      “It could have been the ghost or just something that
      could be explained,” said Steven.

      “But we thought that was weird,” said Tyreen.

      When the couple first moved in, Tyreen had trouble
      trying to open a rear window on a landing leading to
      the second floor.

      “It was stuck, so I started to complain and question
      if we made the right decision on buying the house,”
      said Tyreen.

      The window was in the same spot where the real estate
      agent fell down the stairs.

      “All of a sudden, the window went straight up and came
      right down on both of my hands,” said Tyreen.

      “Again, it might have been a ghost or something that
      could have been explained,” said Steven.

      “So, now we are very careful in what we say and when
      we have work done on the house, we tell the workers to
      be aware,” said Tyreen.

      Jonathan Ayers built the house in 1740, according to
      historical records.

      His uncle, Thomas, was a carpenter and probably helped
      or taught him how to build the house, according to

      Zachariah Allen (Jonathan’s grandson) and his wife,
      Catherine, lived here during the Revolutionary War.
      They used part of the house as a tavern, where
      soldiers and other local people could come to eat
      ginger cakes and drink ale, she said.

      Since the house is so old, there are lots of stories
      about it, said Tyreen.

      Many believe that the ghost of a Revolutionary War
      soldier haunts the house. Others say it is a Hessian
      soldier who hung himself here in one of the upstairs
      rooms, she said.

      Some people have seen a woman wandering around looking
      for her young son who was murdered by the British.
      Others have seen the spirits of two Native Americans
      from the tribe of Chief Matochshoning, who were hung
      unjustly in a tree in the yard, Tyreen said.

      The Reuters don’t mind living in a old house that may
      be haunted. But some of their family members and
      friends are not comfortable in the house, especially
      Tyreen’s mother.

      “She tells me different stories where she thinks the
      ghost is sitting on her,” said Tyreen. “One of our
      friends didn’t even want to step into the house.”

      “My mom said she heard the door latch rattle upstairs,
      and she thought it was me,” said Steven. “But I was
      sitting downstairs at the time, so you don’t know what
      to believe.”

      From an observer’s standpoint, the house is deceiving
      from the outside because it looks like it only has one
      floor. But once in the house, it is bigger than
      expected, with two floors and three bedrooms.

      Inside, the Dutch doors have latches, not doorknobs.
      The original ovens are still in the kitchen wall. The
      stairs creak with every step.

      Nothing seems out of the ordinary, except for one of
      the original upstairs rooms, now used as a bedroom.

      The room seems colder than the rest of the house. Most
      visitors who have been in the room leave with a
      strange feeling, the Reuters said.

      “We are the fifth family who has lived in the house,
      which is pretty cool,” said Tyreen.

      The house has three working fireplaces, and there used
      to be even more, because that was how people heated
      the house and cooked their food, said Tyreen.

      One of the fireplaces is a beehive oven that was used
      for baking bread and pies. It was hard to heat the
      house only using fireplaces, so the ceilings were
      built low to hold the heat, she said.

      “My friend, a contractor, who comes and does work on
      the house, is tall and always hits his head,” said

      “When he first came to the house, he would be like ‘Oh
      you need to put Sheetrock on these walls, you need to
      do this, you need to do that,’ ” said Tyreen. “But now
      he has learned to deal with the house.”

      “The house is not even, the walls have angles to it,”
      said Steven.

      “The living room, music room and two of the upstairs
      rooms are the original rooms of the house,” said

      The Reuters still find items that belonged to previous

      The Wales family lived in the house in the 1920s,
      according to historical records.

      “Presumably, a boy from the Wales family liked to roll
      marbles on the uneven floors, and we still keep on
      finding them,” said Steven.

      “One of our dogs found a silver spoon, which is a
      hundred years old,” said Tyreen.

      Other items found include pegs, broken pottery, oyster
      shells and dominos, the Reuters said.

      Near the end of her life, Ethel King started to tell
      people that the ghosts had gone away, Tyreen said.

      “We think because she didn’t want to be bothered,”
      said Tyreen. “She was afraid that they would tear down
      the house like they did the house next door to it. We
      hope that people stay interested in the house, so it
      will be less likely that they will tear down the

      But the couple has no plans to move anytime soon.

      “We have enough space and we look to stay here,” said
      Tyreen. “Unless I have quadruplets, then we might have
      to consider something else.”

      For more information on the Ayers Allen House, contact
      the Metuchen-Edison Historical Society online at
      www.jhalpin.com/metuchen/met-ed.htm, or write to P.O.
      Box 61 Metuchen, NJ 08840-0061.

      The Embassy of Satan - http://www.webspawner.com/users/revnephilim/