Nick Pope's Column

    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 4, 2005
      November 2005

      Weird World
      NICK POPE

      http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/November_2005/235.cntns

      Welcome to the November 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
      abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
      weird and the wonderful.

      Italian UFO Conference

      I have recently returned from Italy where I spoke at a UFO conference held
      at the University of Calabria. Organised by highly respected Italian
      ufologist Roberto Pinotti, the conference was an interesting mix of SETI,
      ufology and exopolitics. Accordingly, speakers ranged from Alexander
      Zaitsev and Claudio Maccone through to Monsignor Corrado Balducci and
      Michael Salla. For me, it was a nice opportunity to catch up with old
      friends such as Budd Hopkins and Roger Leir, among others.

      Threshold

      Threshold is an exciting new sci-fi show that is getting a lot of people
      talking. The lead character is a worst-case scenario planner, paid to
      think the unthinkable. When an unidentified object enters the atmosphere
      and encounters a trawler, she puts together a mixed team of experts and
      investigates. With the crew either dead or missing, and with strange
      events occurring on the mainland, time is running out. Watch out for more
      about this exciting new series, already running on CBS in America, and
      airing on Sky One in the UK, from November.

      The Real 4400

      The 4400 is another UFO-related sci-fi series still running and still
      attracting a lot of interest and comment, with its story of 4400 abductees
      who are returned to Earth with strange powers. The Real 4400 is a
      documentary I was involved in, focusing on the alien abduction mystery. It
      aired on Sky One on October 19, but is being repeated. The 4400 itself
      continues to run on the USA network in America and on Sky One in the UK.

      The Science of Aliens

      A new exhibition called The Science of Aliens has recently opened at the
      Science Museum. The exhibition covers a wide range of areas, including
      SETI and speculation as the what alien life might be like, but includes
      some material about UFOs and alien abductions. Check out
      http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/aliens/ for details of the exhibition. I
      took part in a debate organised as part of this event and am doing some
      other work to help promote the exhibition. This is a welcome opportunity to

      Nick Pope Interview Online

      I gave one of the most extensive and wide-ranging interviews I have given
      in recent years on the Ministry of Defence UFO Project to Astraea Magazine
      & Web Radio. This forms part of a growing archive of interviews on a wide
      range of paranormal, mysterious and esoteric subjects, ranging from UFOs
      and Freemasonry through to Jack the Ripper. Check out
      http://www.astraeamagazine.com/radio.php for details of the interviews and
      http://www.astraeamagazine.com/ for details of the magazine.

      Laughlin UFO Conference

      The 15th Annual International UFO Congress will be held in Laughlin,
      Nevada, from February 26 - March 4, 2006. This really is the biggest UFO
      conference in the world, and speakers include Jim Marrs, Dolores Cannon,
      William Hamilton, Donald Ware and many more besides. Check out
      www.ufocongress.com for the details.

      UFO Conference in Hawaii

      One of the most beautiful and exotic locations in the world will play host
      to a UFO conference next year. Organised by Michael Salla, the event will
      focus on exopolitics and will feature speakers such as Alfred Webre, Paola
      Harris and Salla himself. The conference lasts from June 9 - 11, 2006.
      Check out www.exopoliticsinstitute.org for the details.

      Ed's Note:

      Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an overview
      of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official Ministry of
      Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an overview of the
      alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and Operation Lightning
      Strike are science fiction novels about alien invasion, incorporating UFO
      and abduction data. All four titles are available from most good bookshops
      and all the usual Internet book sites.

      Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

      © Knight International
      www.knight-intl.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 2, 2005
        December 2005 - January 2006

        Weird World
        NICK POPE

        http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/December_2005_-_January_2006/243.cntns

        Welcome to the joint December 2005 and January 2006 round up of news and
        views on UFOs, alien abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the
        unexplained, the weird and the wonderful.

        Rendlesham Forest UFO Incident - 25th Anniversary

        Christmas and the New Year sees the 25th anniversary of the Rendlesham
        Forest UFO incident and the subsequent official investigation. This is the
        most compelling UFO encounter ever to have taken place in Britain and has
        generated a massive amount of interest not just from UFO researchers but
        from the media and the public. There are several books on the incident,
        the best known of which is You Can't Tell The People, authored by Hot
        Gossip Editor in Chief Georgina Bruni. The title reflects a conversation
        Georgina had with former PM Baroness Thatcher at a charity function in
        1997, when they were discussing UFOs. Baroness Thatcher said "you can't
        tell the people" in response to a question Georgina posed about UFOs, but
        refused to elaborate on her cryptic remark. Various events are planned to
        mark the 25th anniversary, including a vigil and skywatch at RAF
        Bentwaters, a commemorative event organised by the Forestry Commission,
        and various media features.

        Daily Express Rendlesham Article

        On Saturday November 19 the Daily Express carried a major, double page
        feature on the Rendlesham Forest incident. I was pleased about this, not
        least because I wrote it. The paper had commissioned the 2000 word article
        from me the week before and was therefore the first newspaper to run the
        story in the run up to the anniversary. UFO researchers often complain
        that the media misrepresent ufology or take their comments out of context.
        Obtaining a commission gets around these problems and the only changes to
        my article were minor editorial ones. I am pleased to have been able to
        play a part in kick starting the media interest in the anniversary. The
        article has generated much wider interest and Georgina Bruni and I have
        already conducted a live interview on BBC Radio Suffolk. December and
        January will see further media features on this intriguing case.

        The Material World

        The prestigious BBC Radio 4 science programme The Material World recently
        ran a feature on the alien abduction phenomenon, with Professor Chris
        French and I debating the subject with presenter Quentin Cooper. Needless
        to say, it is a major coup to get the subject discussed on such a
        mainstream programme. Click on http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/
        science/thematerialworld_20051103.shtml to listen to the show.

        California Lecture Tour

        I have just returned from a brief lecture tour in California, where I gave
        talks in Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego. I had a hectic schedule
        but very much welcomed the chance to promote British ufology to American
        audiences, meet some old friends and meet some new ones. Click on
        www.mufonla.com/videoorder.htm for details of how to order the 2 hour DVD
        of my lecture, which was entitled The Real X-Files: The Inside Story of
        the British Government's UFO Project.

        Sopranos

        I do not normally do restaurant reviews, and this is more by way of a
        thank you. During my recent lecture tour in California I arrived quite
        late at my hotel in Costa Mesa. I looked around the neighbourhood, but
        there was only one restaurant within walking distance. I went in and
        ordered a beer. It had been a long day and I was still recovering from my
        ten hour flight to Los Angeles. Unfortunately, the kitchen had closed and
        the staff were clearing up. I was resigning myself to the situation when
        the manager realised that I had been travelling all day and had come from
        the UK. Five minutes later, a delicious and piping hot plate of spaghetti
        and meatballs appeared, while the manager stayed on after hours, until I
        finished. So thank you Sopranos, for your great food and hospitality.
        Check www.sopranoseatery.com for details. As I arrived, two regulars were
        leaving. They said the food was fantastic and I should eat there again. I
        am only sorry that, because of my schedule, I never got the chance.

        Threshold

        Threshold is an exciting new science fiction show that is getting a lot of
        people talking. It is running on CBS in America and on Sky One in the UK.
        The lead character is Molly Caffrey, a worst-case scenario planner, paid
        to think the unthinkable. When an unidentified object enters the
        atmosphere and encounters a trawler, the woman who wrote the contingency
        plan is tasked by the US Government with running the operation to deal
        with the situation. She puts together a mixed team of experts and
        investigates. With the trawler crew either dead or missing and with
        strange events occurring on the mainland, time is running out. The media
        in the UK have drawn parallels between Molly Caffrey and me and I have
        given a number of interviews based around the question, what would we do
        if aliens really invaded? The media wanted to know about the real
        worst-case scenario planner thought of the series, and what my plan was. I
        helped in so far as I could, though I was reluctant to go into too many
        details.

        The Science of Aliens

        A new exhibition called The Science of Aliens has recently opened at the
        Science Museum. The exhibition covers a wide range of areas, including
        SETI and speculation as the what alien life might be like, but includes
        some material about UFOs and alien abductions. Check out
        http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/aliens/ for details of the exhibition. I
        took part in a debate organised as part of this event and am doing some
        other work to help promote the exhibition.

        An American Demonology

        Now published and written by the self-styled bad man of ufology comes
        possibly one of the most important UFO books to have hit the bookshelves
        for some time. An American Demonology is a biography of Captain Edward
        Ruppelt, a United States Air Force officer who ran Project Blue Book, the
        US Government UFO Project. Ruppelt went on to write The Report on
        Unidentified Flying Objects, arguably the most important UFO book ever
        written. Bennett delves into the work and the mindset of this
        extraordinary character and in doing so says much about UFOs, ufology and
        America in the Fifties. Jerome Clark wrote the foreword and I wrote the
        introduction. Bennett is an experienced biographer whose previous subjects
        have been Charles Fort and George Adamski. Check out Amazon and all the
        other usual book sites for details of how to order.

        Crop Circle Sale

        Crop circle researcher Colin Andrews is selling his extensive database and
        archive, covering 22 years of research into the crop circle mystery. The
        collection is up for sale on eBay. This has itself generated much debate
        among crop circle researchers and ufologists, and an article in the
        Western Daily Press, to which Colin Andrews took great exception. Check
        out www.cropcircleinfo.com for details of the auction.

        Seasons Greetings

        Finally, I would like to wish all my readers a Merry Christmas and a Happy
        New Year. In particular, my thoughts are with the brave men and women
        currently serving with British, American and other allied Forces in Iraq,
        Afghanistan and other overseas locations. You may be far from home, but
        you are still in our thoughts. Stay safe.

        © Knight International
        www.knight-intl.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 13, 2006
          February 2006

          Weird World
          NICK POPE

          http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/February_2006/252.cntns

          Welcome to the February 2006 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
          abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
          weird and the wonderful.

          The Rendlesham Forest UFO Case

          There was extensive media coverage of the 25th anniversary of the
          Rendlesham Forest UFO incident, which occurred over the Christmas period
          in 1980. This is the most compelling UFO encounter ever to have taken
          place in Britain and has generated a massive amount of interest not just
          from UFO researchers but from the media and the public. There are several
          books on the incident, the best known of which is You Can't Tell The
          People, authored by Hot Gossip Editor in Chief Georgina Bruni. The 25th
          anniversary media coverage included a two page article that I was
          commissioned to write for the Daily Express, a major feature in The Sun,
          national radio features on BBC Radio Five Live and Talk Sport, and a whole
          host of other regional newspaper and radio coverage. I also did an outside
          broadcast live from the forest for the new Channel 4 breakfast show,
          Morning Glory.

          Left At East Gate

          The other well known book on the Rendlesham Forest UFO incident is Left at
          East Gate, co-authored by Larry Warren and Peter Robbins. This book has
          recently been updated and republished by Cosimo-on-Demand. Order through
          Amazon or all the other usual sites for books, making sure that you get
          hold of the new, updated version. Peter Robbins spent much of December in
          the UK and gave a number of lectures about the Rendlesham Forest incident
          to UFO groups around the country, and spent the 25th anniversary itself in
          the forest with Larry Warren and die-hard UFO enthusiasts who braved
          sub-zero temperatures to mark the event.

          Kittie Klaw

          I recently met up with one of the most extraordinary paranormal
          investigators in the UK, the multi-talented Kittie Klaw. As well as being
          an expert on all matters paranormal and psychic, Kittie is involved in a
          wide range of dancing, acting and modelling. One of her ventures is the
          Ministry of Burlesque, currently launching Battle of Burlesque - a sort of
          Search for a Star for the world of glamorous cabaret performers. Check out
          www.ministryofburlesque.com for the details of this series of events and
          check out www.kittieklaw.com for more information about this
          extraordinarily talented performer. Kittie and I decided that a little
          collaboration would be in order, on various projects, so watch this space.
          Ministry of Defence meets Ministry of Burlesque. Interesting.

          Britain's Roswell

          OK, this is yet another story about the Rendlesham Forest UFO incident,
          but I make no apologies, because this has been a massive story here in the
          UK over recent weeks. There are numerous documentaries on the subject,
          including the Sci-Fi Channel show UFO Invasion at Rendlesham. Now The
          History Channel have a new show on the incident, featuring Charles Halt,
          James Penniston, John Burroughs, Georgina Bruni, Peter Robbins, Larry
          Warren and myself, among others. The documentary was shown first last
          month, but has been repeated several times. Check your TV schedules for
          details.

          Dana Centre

          The Dana Centre at the Science Museum are holding another event that will
          cover UFOs and aliens. Taking place from 6pm through to 11pm on Friday 17
          February, the event is free, but booking is essential. The Dana Centre is
          all about making science fun and making people think about contemporary
          scientific issues. This is the third of these Science Museum events in
          which I have participated and I welcome the fact that they are prepared
          increasingly to look at featuring discussions, debates and events on alien
          life, UFOs and abductions. It is a welcome sign that such subjects are
          becoming more mainstream. At the last such event, the TV cameras turned up
          and I appeared live on London Tonight, so watch this space. Check out
          www.danacentre.org.uk for details out the event and www.danacentre.org.uk
          for details of the Dana Centre and some of their other events.

          The World's Strangest UFO Stories

          A new series looking at UFOs has started on the Discovery Channel here in
          the UK. The World's Strangest UFO Stories started on 15 January and will
          run for several weeks on Sunday evenings, at 10pm, examining various weird
          and wonderful UFO incidents. Stories featured include the incredible
          claims of jazz singer Pamela Stonebrook, who says that she has had sex
          with a six foot tall reptilian extraterrestrial. Check TV listings for the
          Discovery Channel series, and www.intergalacticdiva.com for information
          about Pamela Stonebrook.

          Off The Page

          I recently recorded an edition of the prestigious BBC Radio 4 show, Off
          The Page, where I debated the question 'Are We Alone?'. The programme airs
          on Friday nights at 11pm and my show will probably be played on Friday 3
          February. Yet another example of discussions about UFOs getting an
          increasingly mainstream and Establishment audience.

          Invasion

          Mainstream television interest in all things alien continues with Channel
          4 showing the new US cult sci-fi series Invasion. The series begins with a
          hurricane in Florida, strange lights in the sky, and the mysterious
          involvement of the United States Air Force. As the series unfolds,
          weirdness and paranoia increase, as the small community of Homestead
          struggles to rebuild itself. But is Homestead the only place in danger, or
          is the entire human race in peril?

          Phenomena Magazine

          For anyone with an interest in UFOs, the unexplained, the paranormal, the
          mysterious and the esoteric, Phenomena Magazine is well worth your time.
          Updated daily by the prolific editor Robin Crookshank-Hilton, the site is
          packed full of interesting news stories, in depth features and interviews.
          Check http://phenomena.cinescape.com for the magazine, and
          http://phenomena.cinescape.com/0/Editorial.asp (or search for my name once
          in the site) for probably the lengthiest interview I have given in recent
          years.

          Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

          © Knight International
          www.knight-intl.com