From One God to the UFO Party, eccentric election campaigners are out of this world

  • Dr. Daniel Nephilim
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2005
      http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/waiwai/news/20051027p2g00m0dm018000c.html

      From One God to the UFO Party, eccentric election
      campaigners are out of this world
      Jesus Matayoshi has no doubt about his abilities to be
      able to wrench Japan out of the economic cesspit in
      which it has been mired since the start of the '90s,
      according to Cyzo (November).

      "I am Jesus Matayoshi, the One God," the head of the
      Integrated World Economy Party tells Cyzo. "I have
      come to right Japan and the world. This is the Second
      Coming."

      Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi has made much of the
      fact that many who know him regard him as a weirdo.
      He's comfortable with the label and is certainly
      sitting pretty having led his Liberal Democratic Party
      into a position of power following September
      elections. But, as Cyzo notes, he's not the only
      politician happy to be coming out of left field, with
      the past 20 years a veritable wealth of eccentric
      election campaigners.

      Jesus Matayoshi is a perfect example. Unlike the man
      from who he takes his name, this Jesus hasn't quite
      found out how to work miracles with voters yet. His
      efforts at campaigning for a place on the Okinawa
      Municipal Assembly, the Okinawa governor's post and
      several tries at a Diet seat have all proved
      fruitless. But he remains undaunted.

      "Politics will not be righted simply by pursuing
      accountability. Life is the most important issue.
      Profit oriented capitalism is a killer," he says.

      Jesus Matayoshi may not do well on polling days, but
      he remains one of Japan's most popular politicians in
      cyberspace.

      "On some days, I get as many as 170,000 page views on
      my site," the self-professed One God says. "I am
      eternally grateful." If he is who he claims to be,
      Jesus Matayoshi may indeed be able to express his
      thanks that long.

      Also drawing on religion for her name is Maria Chiba,
      whose biggest claim to fame is having been born 20
      years ago as the illegitimate child of yakuza movie
      star Hiroki Matsukata. Perhaps it's this holy moniker
      that gives the former singer her view of politics that
      some say is divine.

      "Politics is too hard for me," Cyzo quotes a 2001
      campaign speech from Maria, who uses the Japanese
      reading of the name for the Holy Virgin. "I don't want
      to talk politics, I just want to sing."

      As an octogenarian, Riho Mitsui didn't exactly bring a
      spark of life to Japanese politics when she ran in a
      series of national elections in the early '90s. She
      was notable, however, for her campaign pledge to try
      and have homework banned during school summer vacation
      periods.

      A far more palatable taste, perhaps, came from the
      Aisuto, the Vinegar Lovers' Party, which fought out
      the 1986 Lower House election on a campaign of "Drink
      Vinegar for Better Health," but won no seats.

      "It was the first Japanese party to campaign on food
      issues," political commentator Yutaka Okawa tells
      Cyzo. "In that regard, it had quite an impact."

      Without doubt, however, the most out of this world
      Japanese political group in the past few decades has
      been the UFO Party. It argued that if UFOs were of
      importance significant enough for the U.S. Congress to
      discuss them, then Japan's Diet should be doing the
      same.

      "By becoming a candidate," Cyzo quotes UFO Party
      Leader Tokuo Moriwaki as saying, "I will make sure
      there are no more taboos about UFOs." (By Ryann
      Connell)

      October 27, 2005

      Nephilim's Paranormal Investigations - http://paranorm.cjb.net

      http://mail.yahoo.com