Nick Pope's Column

    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 4, 2005
      October 2005

      Weird World
      NICK POPE

      http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/October_2005/226.cntns

      Welcome to the October 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
      abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
      weird and the wonderful.

      The Science of Aliens

      The Science Museum is not the sort of place you would normally expect to
      find an exhibition and debate about UFOs, and yet that is exactly what is
      happening. The Science Museum is running a major new exhibition called The
      Science of Aliens, looking at UFOs, alien abductions and the most profound
      question of the modern era - are we alone in the Universe? To complement
      the exhibition, the Science Museum is running three debates at their new
      Dana Centre site. I shall be taking part in one of these. Tickets are free
      but must be pre-booked. Check out http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/aliens/
      for details of the exhibition http://www.danacentre.org.uk/ for details of
      the Dana Centre or http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/corporate_commercial/
      press/ShowPressRelease.asp?Show=336 for information about the debates.

      Astraea Magazine & Web Radio

      An absolutely fascinating series of interviews on a wide range of
      paranormal, mysterious and esoteric subjects can be accessed via Astraea
      Magazine & Web Radio. Subjects covered range from Freemasonry to Jack the
      Ripper, while I give one of the most wide-ranging interviews I have given
      in recent years on the Ministry of Defence UFO Project. Check out
      http://www.astraeamagazine.com/radio.php for details of the interviews and
      http://www.astraeamagazine.com/ for details of the magazine.

      Heavenly Lights: The Apparitions of Fatima and the UFO Phenomenon

      A controversial new book (or rather, an English language translation of a
      classic Portuguese book) suggests that the mysterious Fatima incident in
      1917 may have involved UFOs and not a manifestation of the Blessed Virgin
      Mary, as some believe. Heavenly Lights: The Apparitions of Fatima and the
      UFO Phenomenon is written by Portuguese academics Joaquim Fernandes and
      Fina d' Armada, and has a foreword by Jacques Vallee. Intriguing and
      provocative. Check out www.eccenova.com and follow the links to the media
      kit for more details, or check out the usual online book sites.

      The Serpent Grail

      A fascinating new book by Philip Gardiner and Gary Osborn, entitled The
      Serpent Grail, was published on 15 September by Watkins Publishing and is
      generating a lot of excitement among those with an interest in forbidden
      knowledge and ancient mysteries. The book looks at stories of the Holy
      Grail, the Philosopher's Stone and the Elixir of Life, and links these
      concepts with shamanism and enlightenment. Running through all this and
      providing, the authors believe, the key to unlocking numerous mysteries,
      is serpent mythology. This is a well-researched, well-written and
      thought-provoking book. Click on the official Philip Gardiner website at
      http://www.philipgardiner.net/ for more details, or check out the usual
      online book sites.

      QuestCon05

      Still on the subject of esoteric knowledge, there are still some tickets
      left for QuestCon05. Organised by Andrew Collins, the event will be held
      in London on Saturday 5 November. Speakers include Andrew Collins, Graham
      Phillips, Colin Wilson, Jeremy Narby, Philip Gardiner and Gary Osborn.
      Click on http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/
      conference/conferencenews.htm for more details of what promises to be an
      informative and intriguing conference.

      An American Demonology

      Coming soon, from the self-styled bad man of ufology, possibly one of the
      most important UFO books to have hit the bookshelves for some time. An
      American Demonology is a biography of Captain Edward Ruppelt, a United
      States Air Force officer who ran Project Blue Book, the US Government UFO
      Project. Ruppelt went on to write The Report on Unidentified Flying
      Objects, arguably the most important UFO book ever written. Bennett delves
      into the work and the mindset of this extraordinary character, and in
      doing so says much about UFOs, ufology, and America in the Fifties. Jerome
      Clark wrote the foreword and I wrote the introduction. Bennett is an
      experienced biographer whose previous subjects have been Charles Fort and
      George Adamski. More on An American Demonology soon.

      Ed's Note:

      Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an overview
      of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official Ministry of
      Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an overview of the
      alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and Operation Lightning
      Strike are science fiction novels about alien invasion, incorporating UFO
      and abduction data. All four titles are available from most good bookshops
      and all the usual Internet book sites.

      Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

      © Knight International
      www.knight-intl.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 4, 2005
        November 2005

        Weird World
        NICK POPE

        http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/November_2005/235.cntns

        Welcome to the November 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
        abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
        weird and the wonderful.

        Italian UFO Conference

        I have recently returned from Italy where I spoke at a UFO conference held
        at the University of Calabria. Organised by highly respected Italian
        ufologist Roberto Pinotti, the conference was an interesting mix of SETI,
        ufology and exopolitics. Accordingly, speakers ranged from Alexander
        Zaitsev and Claudio Maccone through to Monsignor Corrado Balducci and
        Michael Salla. For me, it was a nice opportunity to catch up with old
        friends such as Budd Hopkins and Roger Leir, among others.

        Threshold

        Threshold is an exciting new sci-fi show that is getting a lot of people
        talking. The lead character is a worst-case scenario planner, paid to
        think the unthinkable. When an unidentified object enters the atmosphere
        and encounters a trawler, she puts together a mixed team of experts and
        investigates. With the crew either dead or missing, and with strange
        events occurring on the mainland, time is running out. Watch out for more
        about this exciting new series, already running on CBS in America, and
        airing on Sky One in the UK, from November.

        The Real 4400

        The 4400 is another UFO-related sci-fi series still running and still
        attracting a lot of interest and comment, with its story of 4400 abductees
        who are returned to Earth with strange powers. The Real 4400 is a
        documentary I was involved in, focusing on the alien abduction mystery. It
        aired on Sky One on October 19, but is being repeated. The 4400 itself
        continues to run on the USA network in America and on Sky One in the UK.

        The Science of Aliens

        A new exhibition called The Science of Aliens has recently opened at the
        Science Museum. The exhibition covers a wide range of areas, including
        SETI and speculation as the what alien life might be like, but includes
        some material about UFOs and alien abductions. Check out
        http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/aliens/ for details of the exhibition. I
        took part in a debate organised as part of this event and am doing some
        other work to help promote the exhibition. This is a welcome opportunity to

        Nick Pope Interview Online

        I gave one of the most extensive and wide-ranging interviews I have given
        in recent years on the Ministry of Defence UFO Project to Astraea Magazine
        & Web Radio. This forms part of a growing archive of interviews on a wide
        range of paranormal, mysterious and esoteric subjects, ranging from UFOs
        and Freemasonry through to Jack the Ripper. Check out
        http://www.astraeamagazine.com/radio.php for details of the interviews and
        http://www.astraeamagazine.com/ for details of the magazine.

        Laughlin UFO Conference

        The 15th Annual International UFO Congress will be held in Laughlin,
        Nevada, from February 26 - March 4, 2006. This really is the biggest UFO
        conference in the world, and speakers include Jim Marrs, Dolores Cannon,
        William Hamilton, Donald Ware and many more besides. Check out
        www.ufocongress.com for the details.

        UFO Conference in Hawaii

        One of the most beautiful and exotic locations in the world will play host
        to a UFO conference next year. Organised by Michael Salla, the event will
        focus on exopolitics and will feature speakers such as Alfred Webre, Paola
        Harris and Salla himself. The conference lasts from June 9 - 11, 2006.
        Check out www.exopoliticsinstitute.org for the details.

        Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

        © Knight International
        www.knight-intl.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 2, 2005
          December 2005 - January 2006

          Weird World
          NICK POPE

          http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/December_2005_-_January_2006/243.cntns

          Welcome to the joint December 2005 and January 2006 round up of news and
          views on UFOs, alien abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the
          unexplained, the weird and the wonderful.

          Rendlesham Forest UFO Incident - 25th Anniversary

          Christmas and the New Year sees the 25th anniversary of the Rendlesham
          Forest UFO incident and the subsequent official investigation. This is the
          most compelling UFO encounter ever to have taken place in Britain and has
          generated a massive amount of interest not just from UFO researchers but
          from the media and the public. There are several books on the incident,
          the best known of which is You Can't Tell The People, authored by Hot
          Gossip Editor in Chief Georgina Bruni. The title reflects a conversation
          Georgina had with former PM Baroness Thatcher at a charity function in
          1997, when they were discussing UFOs. Baroness Thatcher said "you can't
          tell the people" in response to a question Georgina posed about UFOs, but
          refused to elaborate on her cryptic remark. Various events are planned to
          mark the 25th anniversary, including a vigil and skywatch at RAF
          Bentwaters, a commemorative event organised by the Forestry Commission,
          and various media features.

          Daily Express Rendlesham Article

          On Saturday November 19 the Daily Express carried a major, double page
          feature on the Rendlesham Forest incident. I was pleased about this, not
          least because I wrote it. The paper had commissioned the 2000 word article
          from me the week before and was therefore the first newspaper to run the
          story in the run up to the anniversary. UFO researchers often complain
          that the media misrepresent ufology or take their comments out of context.
          Obtaining a commission gets around these problems and the only changes to
          my article were minor editorial ones. I am pleased to have been able to
          play a part in kick starting the media interest in the anniversary. The
          article has generated much wider interest and Georgina Bruni and I have
          already conducted a live interview on BBC Radio Suffolk. December and
          January will see further media features on this intriguing case.

          The Material World

          The prestigious BBC Radio 4 science programme The Material World recently
          ran a feature on the alien abduction phenomenon, with Professor Chris
          French and I debating the subject with presenter Quentin Cooper. Needless
          to say, it is a major coup to get the subject discussed on such a
          mainstream programme. Click on http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/
          science/thematerialworld_20051103.shtml to listen to the show.

          California Lecture Tour

          I have just returned from a brief lecture tour in California, where I gave
          talks in Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego. I had a hectic schedule
          but very much welcomed the chance to promote British ufology to American
          audiences, meet some old friends and meet some new ones. Click on
          www.mufonla.com/videoorder.htm for details of how to order the 2 hour DVD
          of my lecture, which was entitled The Real X-Files: The Inside Story of
          the British Government's UFO Project.

          Sopranos

          I do not normally do restaurant reviews, and this is more by way of a
          thank you. During my recent lecture tour in California I arrived quite
          late at my hotel in Costa Mesa. I looked around the neighbourhood, but
          there was only one restaurant within walking distance. I went in and
          ordered a beer. It had been a long day and I was still recovering from my
          ten hour flight to Los Angeles. Unfortunately, the kitchen had closed and
          the staff were clearing up. I was resigning myself to the situation when
          the manager realised that I had been travelling all day and had come from
          the UK. Five minutes later, a delicious and piping hot plate of spaghetti
          and meatballs appeared, while the manager stayed on after hours, until I
          finished. So thank you Sopranos, for your great food and hospitality.
          Check www.sopranoseatery.com for details. As I arrived, two regulars were
          leaving. They said the food was fantastic and I should eat there again. I
          am only sorry that, because of my schedule, I never got the chance.

          Threshold

          Threshold is an exciting new science fiction show that is getting a lot of
          people talking. It is running on CBS in America and on Sky One in the UK.
          The lead character is Molly Caffrey, a worst-case scenario planner, paid
          to think the unthinkable. When an unidentified object enters the
          atmosphere and encounters a trawler, the woman who wrote the contingency
          plan is tasked by the US Government with running the operation to deal
          with the situation. She puts together a mixed team of experts and
          investigates. With the trawler crew either dead or missing and with
          strange events occurring on the mainland, time is running out. The media
          in the UK have drawn parallels between Molly Caffrey and me and I have
          given a number of interviews based around the question, what would we do
          if aliens really invaded? The media wanted to know about the real
          worst-case scenario planner thought of the series, and what my plan was. I
          helped in so far as I could, though I was reluctant to go into too many
          details.

          The Science of Aliens

          A new exhibition called The Science of Aliens has recently opened at the
          Science Museum. The exhibition covers a wide range of areas, including
          SETI and speculation as the what alien life might be like, but includes
          some material about UFOs and alien abductions. Check out
          http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/aliens/ for details of the exhibition. I
          took part in a debate organised as part of this event and am doing some
          other work to help promote the exhibition.

          An American Demonology

          Now published and written by the self-styled bad man of ufology comes
          possibly one of the most important UFO books to have hit the bookshelves
          for some time. An American Demonology is a biography of Captain Edward
          Ruppelt, a United States Air Force officer who ran Project Blue Book, the
          US Government UFO Project. Ruppelt went on to write The Report on
          Unidentified Flying Objects, arguably the most important UFO book ever
          written. Bennett delves into the work and the mindset of this
          extraordinary character and in doing so says much about UFOs, ufology and
          America in the Fifties. Jerome Clark wrote the foreword and I wrote the
          introduction. Bennett is an experienced biographer whose previous subjects
          have been Charles Fort and George Adamski. Check out Amazon and all the
          other usual book sites for details of how to order.

          Crop Circle Sale

          Crop circle researcher Colin Andrews is selling his extensive database and
          archive, covering 22 years of research into the crop circle mystery. The
          collection is up for sale on eBay. This has itself generated much debate
          among crop circle researchers and ufologists, and an article in the
          Western Daily Press, to which Colin Andrews took great exception. Check
          out www.cropcircleinfo.com for details of the auction.

          Seasons Greetings

          Finally, I would like to wish all my readers a Merry Christmas and a Happy
          New Year. In particular, my thoughts are with the brave men and women
          currently serving with British, American and other allied Forces in Iraq,
          Afghanistan and other overseas locations. You may be far from home, but
          you are still in our thoughts. Stay safe.

          © Knight International
          www.knight-intl.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 13, 2006
            February 2006

            Weird World
            NICK POPE

            http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/February_2006/252.cntns

            Welcome to the February 2006 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
            abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
            weird and the wonderful.

            The Rendlesham Forest UFO Case

            There was extensive media coverage of the 25th anniversary of the
            Rendlesham Forest UFO incident, which occurred over the Christmas period
            in 1980. This is the most compelling UFO encounter ever to have taken
            place in Britain and has generated a massive amount of interest not just
            from UFO researchers but from the media and the public. There are several
            books on the incident, the best known of which is You Can't Tell The
            People, authored by Hot Gossip Editor in Chief Georgina Bruni. The 25th
            anniversary media coverage included a two page article that I was
            commissioned to write for the Daily Express, a major feature in The Sun,
            national radio features on BBC Radio Five Live and Talk Sport, and a whole
            host of other regional newspaper and radio coverage. I also did an outside
            broadcast live from the forest for the new Channel 4 breakfast show,
            Morning Glory.

            Left At East Gate

            The other well known book on the Rendlesham Forest UFO incident is Left at
            East Gate, co-authored by Larry Warren and Peter Robbins. This book has
            recently been updated and republished by Cosimo-on-Demand. Order through
            Amazon or all the other usual sites for books, making sure that you get
            hold of the new, updated version. Peter Robbins spent much of December in
            the UK and gave a number of lectures about the Rendlesham Forest incident
            to UFO groups around the country, and spent the 25th anniversary itself in
            the forest with Larry Warren and die-hard UFO enthusiasts who braved
            sub-zero temperatures to mark the event.

            Kittie Klaw

            I recently met up with one of the most extraordinary paranormal
            investigators in the UK, the multi-talented Kittie Klaw. As well as being
            an expert on all matters paranormal and psychic, Kittie is involved in a
            wide range of dancing, acting and modelling. One of her ventures is the
            Ministry of Burlesque, currently launching Battle of Burlesque - a sort of
            Search for a Star for the world of glamorous cabaret performers. Check out
            www.ministryofburlesque.com for the details of this series of events and
            check out www.kittieklaw.com for more information about this
            extraordinarily talented performer. Kittie and I decided that a little
            collaboration would be in order, on various projects, so watch this space.
            Ministry of Defence meets Ministry of Burlesque. Interesting.

            Britain's Roswell

            OK, this is yet another story about the Rendlesham Forest UFO incident,
            but I make no apologies, because this has been a massive story here in the
            UK over recent weeks. There are numerous documentaries on the subject,
            including the Sci-Fi Channel show UFO Invasion at Rendlesham. Now The
            History Channel have a new show on the incident, featuring Charles Halt,
            James Penniston, John Burroughs, Georgina Bruni, Peter Robbins, Larry
            Warren and myself, among others. The documentary was shown first last
            month, but has been repeated several times. Check your TV schedules for
            details.

            Dana Centre

            The Dana Centre at the Science Museum are holding another event that will
            cover UFOs and aliens. Taking place from 6pm through to 11pm on Friday 17
            February, the event is free, but booking is essential. The Dana Centre is
            all about making science fun and making people think about contemporary
            scientific issues. This is the third of these Science Museum events in
            which I have participated and I welcome the fact that they are prepared
            increasingly to look at featuring discussions, debates and events on alien
            life, UFOs and abductions. It is a welcome sign that such subjects are
            becoming more mainstream. At the last such event, the TV cameras turned up
            and I appeared live on London Tonight, so watch this space. Check out
            www.danacentre.org.uk for details out the event and www.danacentre.org.uk
            for details of the Dana Centre and some of their other events.

            The World's Strangest UFO Stories

            A new series looking at UFOs has started on the Discovery Channel here in
            the UK. The World's Strangest UFO Stories started on 15 January and will
            run for several weeks on Sunday evenings, at 10pm, examining various weird
            and wonderful UFO incidents. Stories featured include the incredible
            claims of jazz singer Pamela Stonebrook, who says that she has had sex
            with a six foot tall reptilian extraterrestrial. Check TV listings for the
            Discovery Channel series, and www.intergalacticdiva.com for information
            about Pamela Stonebrook.

            Off The Page

            I recently recorded an edition of the prestigious BBC Radio 4 show, Off
            The Page, where I debated the question 'Are We Alone?'. The programme airs
            on Friday nights at 11pm and my show will probably be played on Friday 3
            February. Yet another example of discussions about UFOs getting an
            increasingly mainstream and Establishment audience.

            Invasion

            Mainstream television interest in all things alien continues with Channel
            4 showing the new US cult sci-fi series Invasion. The series begins with a
            hurricane in Florida, strange lights in the sky, and the mysterious
            involvement of the United States Air Force. As the series unfolds,
            weirdness and paranoia increase, as the small community of Homestead
            struggles to rebuild itself. But is Homestead the only place in danger, or
            is the entire human race in peril?

            Phenomena Magazine

            For anyone with an interest in UFOs, the unexplained, the paranormal, the
            mysterious and the esoteric, Phenomena Magazine is well worth your time.
            Updated daily by the prolific editor Robin Crookshank-Hilton, the site is
            packed full of interesting news stories, in depth features and interviews.
            Check http://phenomena.cinescape.com for the magazine, and
            http://phenomena.cinescape.com/0/Editorial.asp (or search for my name once
            in the site) for probably the lengthiest interview I have given in recent
            years.

            Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

            © Knight International
            www.knight-intl.com